User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 207 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #30196
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,184
Cross bike is here!! I have to spoon on a new rear tire on the Vstrom, after that its bicycle time. Adjust everything to my liking, install pedals, etc then a shake down ride. I know it's probably blasphemy but I might mount the saddle off my mtb on it, the stock seat is not gonna jive with my sit bones. Probably order a selle anatomica Monday.

I can't wait to go get it dirty

Might start gathering parts to build a full roadie over the winter, was eyeballing the scalpel 29ers too

the list of things in this world that make me laugh and smile uncontrollably is short----->motorcycles, boobs, and bicycles, I need more of each
Rider_WV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:36 AM   #30197
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,660
Pics!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamick View Post
You strategically place a billboard of boobs on the outside of a turn and I'd ride my motorcycle off a cliff.
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #30198
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,528
I was in Denver, there were a few shops where you could learn stuff from real guys.
They got fewer then none.

There is something about light filter through slightly dusty windows, reflecting off bicycle frames hanging overhead, combined with the smells of campy bearing grease, coffee, sweat, 50 year old wood floors, benches accompanied by the tink of wrenches and spokes from the back that really makes a great learning environment.
Riding in, learnign what's wrong and how to fix it and riding out after fixing it under a critical eye may not sell service orders, but it builds a relationship that sells bikes, components, tools and gear. That also helps to create another cyclist who tells friends and as a cyclist without even knowing it sits as an example to anyone watching. So, when he stops in the shade to tweak a spoke or help someone change a flat, or re-place a chain or just square up the gearing, by that example he moves the machinery a notch ahead.
Unfortunately that didn't result in our old pro shops enduring. Part of that just goes down to the same way the family farm went. Kids off to college that the shop helped to pay for, but they got higher education and went off to engineering or doctors or the law.
Or not. Who knows about that side of the question really? What did have a huge affect was first large chains buying up those mom & Pop pro shops then the big catalog houses going brick and mortar on a national level, aka Performance Bicycle Shops.
I participated in a focus group study when they were coming into Denver. Everybody else on the panels were all people who knew each other from the cycling community, both racing and touring sides as I was associated with both.
I don't think that was a bad thing, but the affect was that the small shops went away because they could not compete on price, and not enough people saw the value in the knowledge. The new "big box" shops didn't hire the old school folks. Much.
A few of the old mechanics got work there. And for a while there were some large local shops that operated both like the big chains and the old pro shops. The best of both worlds. That eventually gave way to just a few big chain stores in a few locations. The local expertise died out. All that were left were a very few boutique shops.

I think there has been a resurgence of sorts in the a few of the chains. At least that is my experience. a few large pro shops got on the train of a major brand shop and these at least where I've been have a few people who are those old school types that build relationships and spread the love of cycling.
The musty old basements are gone, and the new shops reside in lower rent strip malls those old wood-floored buildings long ago converted to yuppy lofts/downtown trendy clubs/storefront homes/offices.
What really matters are those cycling geezers in the making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
Geez, you knew Spence of Cupertino Cyclery, too? I was a customer of his after he'd "retired" and then reopened a shop by the same name in Pacific Grove, out by Asilomar in the fog zone.

I probably should have kept my last pair of tubular rims he'd tied and soldered for me. vintage NR hubs and all. those rims were light, strong, and fast.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:51 AM   #30199
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

My evening ride last night, the usual, brutal headwind blowing inland, so I warmed up headed with it.
Felt good after a couple days off the bike, and hammered myself in places. Found a new max at 181, and averaged a nice middling 134. I maxed climbing up to the road from the river chasing, catching and passing and making it stick for a few miles too. A younger rider, who didn't climb.
My legs are coming back. The gut is leaving the building too.
Elvis ain't gone, but he is on his way out. Viva Las Vegas.

Enough, Strava:

He re-caught me but I was about a quarter mile from my turn back up the hill and had turned into the shifted wind and pretty much kicked it back to cruise almost survive mode. I didn't need to drop to the granny on the way back so that was good. My averaged dropped from 16.2 to 15.8 with the climb slowing me that last mile. My heart rate dropped quickly after getting home and grabbing a glass of water, and slowly began my evening chores.
Legs are sore today but not terribly so. Not flat like they were a few days ago. I think I got them worked a good bit.
My plan for a long ride Saturday got a little wrench tossed in with some extended family coming in, but I have Sunday so I'll ride then.
Felt good to run pretty hard and not hurt or blow up. When I maxed on that climb, I knew I could just keep rolling. That is what training does, prepares you so you know what to expect and how much more there is in the tank.
a lot like driving those old Volkswagen Beetles before gas gauges. You really had to keep track and pay attention to the odometer. After a while you knew by looking at it how far you could push things before you were pushing.

Mr Head screwed with this post 07-26-2013 at 11:58 AM
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #30200
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 858
I ended up bookending my workday with rides yesterday. First up was a shakedown of my old CX/new gravel grinder. The XT rear der with an 11-32 and the Clement X'plor MSO tires work well. Next up will be a pair of 9sp Retroshift shifters and canti brake pads.

After work was the normal Thurs. night shop ride. It was hot. Damned hot. The heat combined with the earlier ride meant my legs checked out early. I struggled mightily on the climb back up to the house then spent some quality time under the garden hose.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:02 PM   #30201
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Changed tires the other day to some Folding Roubaix, the Armadillos from Specialized. $130 for the pair.
Hope they last a bit. 23-25 X 700c. Seem higher profile than what I was running which was an armadillo but wire bead I'd gotten in Everett back in 2010. I had only a few miles on them up there before swapping the worn out tires I had on the Roubaix from zero.
Old worn out tire:

Nice wear indicator eh?
Old 07-26-2013, 05:34 PM   #30202
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Nice bookends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
I ended up bookending my workday with rides yesterday. First up was a shakedown of my old CX/new gravel grinder. The XT rear der with an 11-32 and the Clement X'plor MSO tires work well. Next up will be a pair of 9sp Retroshift shifters and canti brake pads.

After work was the normal Thurs. night shop ride. It was hot. Damned hot. The heat combined with the earlier ride meant my legs checked out early. I struggled mightily on the climb back up to the house then spent some quality time under the garden hose.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:54 PM   #30203
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Changed tires the other day to some Folding Roubaix, the Armadillos from Specialized. $130 for the pair.
Had a flat on the way home during my commute yesterday. I'm running Gator HardShells, so it was a bit of a surprise. I was on the downhill leg and running about 23-25mph when the rear got mushy. I changed the tube and didn't see any punctures/damage to the tire. Couldn't find anything wrong with the tube, either. Rode the rest of the way home wondering if the new tube was going to suffer a puncture from something my inspection didn't find.

Nope, got home and found a moment to pump the bad tube up. The hole was the on the wheel side and on a seam. Ugh. I'll double-check the rim tape, patch the tube and put it back in rotation.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:29 AM   #30204
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
Nope, got home and found a moment to pump the bad tube up. The hole was the on the wheel side and on a seam. Ugh. I'll double-check the rim tape, patch the tube and put it back in rotation.
More than a few of the mysterious flats I fix are rim strip-related.

@Mr Head: I know whatcha mean about the little 'pro shops.' There are one or two running around the DC area, but for the most part, the guys working there aren't Vecchio's. I'm better'n some. Worse than others. Right now, I don't have time to be 'the guru.' Too effing busy. If I had help, that'd probably be another story.

Dropped spokes off with a 'competing' LBS down the road from the shop 'cause they have a Phil Wood machine. Introduced myself, asked em if they were getting busier 'cause I was sending em so much business. Guy said yes, but there were some 'interesting' repairs so he didn't know whether to thank me or cuss at me!

So I had off a whole two days straight. Right? Left 4 repairs/day in for the 'somewhat under-motivated' mechanic to do. Guess how many repairs I came back to yesterday?

If you don't say 8 you're wrong.

Evidently the guy decided he didn't want to work there any more and left.

In the short term, it sucks 'cause now I'm behind. In the long run, its better because I don't have to check his work, don't have to deal with his attitude, and most importantly, the customers don't have to deal with his attitude. There's a kid coming on Mon that knows a little more (or maybe a little less ) but importantly, has a good attitude. A good attitude goes LOTS longer than knowledge. You can teach knowledge.

M
Old 07-27-2013, 06:24 AM   #30205
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,001
Laugh Horrible 95

This story was written by one of the guys I rode with last week. It's about his experience during the 'Horrible Hundred' back in 2011.

http://johntenney.com/?p=118
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:36 AM   #30206
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Good one!
Fun writer, sounds like a fun guy to ride with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
This story was written by one of the guys I rode with last week. It's about his experience during the 'Horrible Hundred' back in 2011.

http://johntenney.com/?p=118
Old 07-27-2013, 06:40 AM   #30207
thechickencow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
Soyanarcristo-
Bummer.

My cannondale I bought needed EVERYTHING checked (scalpel 1). I had chain rings loose on my 5-6th ride. That could do what you are saying. I also have had some spokes loose/break on my Reynolds wheels but that is good now.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:54 AM   #30208
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Good one!
Fun writer, sounds like a fun guy to ride with.
He is. At the ripe old age of 56, John is still doing a grueling Sunday ride, followed by a long distance run on Monday, followed by a Cyclocross race on Tuesday, followed by swimming practice the rest of the week, and an occasional TT race. I don't know where he gets his energy.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #30209
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,392
Sunday Ride/VT Primer

We had a pretty hard ride today, and the longest of the year for us. What a gorgeous day in the Northeast! We are going to VT in a week or so for 3 long mileage days, so we put in a big effort. We found a guy on the side of the road with a flat, and no spare tubes or tools, so we gave him a tube and got him on his way. Paid it forward... I hope everyone had a safe day of riding!

rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:14 PM   #30210
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 858
rbrsddn, good onya for helping a fellow cyclist in need. Maybe next time he'll remember to bring that stuff.

I went up to Lassen again today with a group. I was late and left about 20 min. after everyone else. I was irked about being late and the legs felt like crap, pissing and moaning all the way up to the Devastated Area, convinced that I would turn around at the summit. By the time I got to Kings Creek, the legs had woken up and I started to feel better about things. I ended up catching most of the group at the south gate where I had planned to turn around from the outset. All in all, it turned out to be a pretty good day on the bike, once I had warmed up and got over myself.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: