User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 08:48 AM   #136
Avner
Not noob anymore

Oddometer: 136
Running 15/47 Sprockets on a 2013 F800GS - Love It

I've been looking at all of the older posts in this thread, and based on that I made my decisions. I'd like to thank everyone for posting such helpful information, so this is my modest contribution:

Last night I installed the 47-tooth rear sprocket in addition to the GREAT 15-tooth front sprocket upgrade from last week, so now Iím running 15/47.

The chain was too short after adding the 47-tooth sprocket, but I didnít feel like spending $145 on a new chain because all I needed was Ĺ" more. The only thing limiting the rear wheel from moving forward was the chain-tension screw. I fastened it all the way in, but it was too long and it was sticking out and not being able to go all the way in. Since Iíll never need the full length of the screw (my 15-tooth front is permanent because it has the best balance for road/off-road), I just cut it off and everything now fits perfectly. I even had to give it a few turns, because the chain was too loose with the screw all the way in.

Two major improvements I felt right away when I visited my "private" power-line area last night:

1- The bike can crawl on 1rst gear with no throttle added. It was very useful when I was going down a steep hill without touching the clutch or the brakes, and it is harder to stall the bike even in low RPM.
2- I know Iím only gaining about 10% of torque with this setup, but when I tried climbing up a familiar steep hill I felt as if I got 50% more torque Ė it was almost effortless!

The down-side is obviously more buzz because the RPM is now ďlivingĒ in the 5,000 range (which I like doing anyway), and long highway hauls would be tiring with an estimated 6,000 RPM at 80MPH. I never checked my MPG, so I wonít be able to compare, but Iím sure it will be affected as well. However, Iím very happy because my main concern is the low-end anyway, and this $122 modification completely transformed this bike into a mud-craving bitch!

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Avner
Avner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:45 AM   #137
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,368
Found this old thread that's been partially resurrected, and wish to comment.

When I had a G650X, I found that different riders had different gearing preferences. 14, 15, 16, 17 ... (15 was stock on the Challenge, 16 was stock on the Country and Moto.) I found that a 15 on my Country was a good fit.

Four weeks ago I traded my Country for an F700GS. My first start on a dirt apron told me the stock 17 was all wrong. Yesterday I installed a 16 and am much happier!

My point is this: EXPERIMENT! Countershaft sprockets are relatively inexpensive and can completely change one's perception of one's bike.

Fuel mileage? Never saw any difference between a 15 and 16 on my 650.

Buzzy at freeway speeds? S-l-o-w d-o-w-n. You'll arrive at your next gas stop 10 to 20 minutes later. (A friend with a KLR calls it matching one's expectations to one's bike.)

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/
Geoffster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #138
Calgary06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
A question for those who changed their sprockets.
Did you also need to replace the diaphragm spring and shaft seal while you were in there?

Parts #1 and #21 on the parts fiche
http://www.ascycles.com/Illustrated_...indCat=23_1087

I've been shopping around for prices and one company added the spring into the list I gave them.
Thanks
Old 07-20-2013, 03:06 PM   #139
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary06 View Post
Did you also need to replace the diaphragm spring and shaft seal while you were in there?

I've been shopping around for prices and one company added the spring into the list I gave them.
Thanks
For $3 I think I will be a sport and replace the spring washer when I do mine, but think I'll leave the seal alone ... I'd like to think its going to last ... and it might be a pain in the a$$ to replace?
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:12 AM   #140
RexBuck
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
Quote:

Thanks
No. I've changed my sprocket back and forth a couple of times and have not changed any other parts. That doesn't mean you shouldn't (I'm a mechanical idiot and don't know what is correct), just that so far my bike has not fallen apart as a result.
www.rexbuck.com - RexBuck's Latin America
RexBuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #141
Full Power
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,421
I have a 17 tooth c/s sprocket on order for the F800.
I expect to lower my top gear RPM by several hundred.
The bike spends FAR more time in 6th gear than it does in First.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:08 AM   #142
MCMXCIVRS
Begining the Adventure

Oddometer: 1,200
You could replace the washer if it gives you peace of mind, but not really necessary to do so. No reason to even consider changing the seal unless it's leaking.

2009 BMW F800GS, 2008 BMW K1200GT
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #143
Calgary06
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks guys,
I am going to replace the spring anyway as it is only a few dollars.
Hardest part was finding for rear hardware (bolts and nuts) at a reasonable price. My dealership wanted over $60 for a set of 6... They must have been individually hand delivered to the parts desk in rental ferrari's or something.
P
Old 07-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #144
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
Hardest part was finding for rear hardware (bolts and nuts) at a reasonable price. My dealership wanted over $60 for a set of 6... They must have been individually hand delivered to the parts desk in rental ferrari's or something.
P
BMW wants you to be prepared to shoot down Sopwith Camels or Spitfires with your F if necessary.

(Like these are really one-time only items? Perhaps in the sky ...)

Be sure to use blue Loctite on the countershaft bolt. IMHO, that's more important than a new diaphragm washer. My G650X used the same system, and the ONE time I didn't apply fresh Loctite, the bolt began to back out.

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/

Geoffster screwed with this post 07-27-2013 at 06:20 AM Reason: Corrected part nomenclature
Geoffster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:53 AM   #145
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks guys,
I am going to replace the spring anyway as it is only a few dollars.
P
I have the rev. #4 BMW manual and for the rear sprocket it says the nuts are single-use but does not mention any warnings on the bolts ... on my bike it looks like the nuts are intentionally mechanically deformed ...
Old 07-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #146
Calgary06
Gnarly Adventurer

I'll have a look at them when I pick em up next week. I guess I may have spare bolts once I'm through but that will be OK.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:27 AM   #147
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,606
I've now tried a 17, 16 and 15 on the F800. For off road and 2 up mountain road carving the 15 is great. For a combination of all things the 16 works fine and the 17 is great if you need to do a quick weekend 3000km round trip.

I dropped the gearing on one of my DRs for a trip up Cape York a couple of weeks back, and instantly regretted it as I spent about 95% of my time at freeway speeds on the dirt. Next trip, I'll take the smaller sprocket in the tool bag, and change it the night before the tricky sections of the trip. It's all of a 10 min job, if that. Same goes for the BMW. When faced with a few thousand kms of touring speed to get to the "good stuff", I think packing the spare sprocket is the smartest option.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:26 PM   #148
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
I've now tried a 17, 16 and 15 on the F800. For off road and 2 up mountain road carving the 15 is great. For a combination of all things the 16 works fine and the 17 is great if you need to do a quick weekend 3000km round trip.

I dropped the gearing on one of my DRs for a trip up Cape York a couple of weeks back, and instantly regretted it as I spent about 95% of my time at freeway speeds on the dirt. Next trip, I'll take the smaller sprocket in the tool bag, and change it the night before the tricky sections of the trip. It's all of a 10 min job, if that. Same goes for the BMW. When faced with a few thousand kms of touring speed to get to the "good stuff", I think packing the spare sprocket is the smartest option.
Swapping them is my plan for the next trip ...
Question:
What do you carry with you to apply the required 100Nm of torque to the rear axle nut (and where do you stow it)?

Thanks!
Old 07-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #149
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
I have a Fredette Racing axle wrench (pretty short); it would suffice but required work hardened hands to accomplish it. I've since used a motion pro tire spoon/wrench combo thing and it's easier given it's increased length and girth.
Still have to yard on it pretty firmly though.

But neither of those will help you install at 15 or 17 tooth C/S sprocket

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hT-t19CJ4E)
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:47 AM   #150
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Swapping them is my plan for the next trip ...
Question:
What do you carry with you to apply the required 100Nm of torque to the rear axle nut (and where do you stow it)?

Thanks!

What....the.....fu....oh, you're just messin with my head.

I know, it's so over thought. I figured the so called "Last Great Adventure" based on my memory of it from 20 years ago, would require a modicum of preparation and off roading skill. Turns out my moving average over the 2500kms of mostly average dirt was 98.7km/h.

If I'd taken a bigger sprocket it would have gone back on the first night.

But, at the same time, there are stories emerging of people we passed and met who trashed bikes and broke bones at far lower speeds.

Preparation is the key. Over prepare and you'll probably come away saying "Well...that was easier than I remember it".

and no...the c/s shaft bolt isn't an issue. Hasn't been once yet. I use the same toolkit off road as I do when I change sprockets. Why some people have issues with these things is beyond me. Unless I watch my 3D games programmer son trying to work on his ZX6...then it makes perfect sense. Oh my....humanity is doomed...

Snowy screwed with this post 07-28-2013 at 04:04 AM
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote