Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #31
a2ronm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by deucestaley11 View Post
Ive been planning a trip across the US for some time now. For those of you with long adventuring experience (weeks at a time), what are some of the items you kicked yourself for leaving behind? Could be clothing, camping gear, survival tools, spare parts, manuals, etc.

(1) my good weatherproof winter gloves, didn't think I would need them with my heated grips, rain covers and spring weight gloves........my heated grips stuck on low setting first day, 3,000 miles from home. I ended up buying a $110 replacement set of winter gloves from a dealer. Now I have 2 pairs of winter gloves!

(2) I too used the cable & lock for stops for my jacket and helmet. My policy was to lock up what I couldn't afford (not in $$'s but time and energy) to loose.

(3) Bike lock and lightweight (Bike Bandit freebie) cover for parking at night. I usually left my cases on the bike at night with the cover it was out-of-sight-out-of-mind.

(4) baby wipes!

(5) Know your tires. Everyone can order tires in you size-"I can have them here on Monday".....finding a shop that has your needed size in stock can be problematic anymore. I ended up spending a Saturday looking for tires when my rear decided that too much tread was a bad thing......I was still 1,000 mile from home. I had replaced my normal pick of 8,000 mile+ tires before my trip with a different brand, they lasted less that 2/3's of what I was used to getting and the wear out caught me by surprise......poor planning on my part.

(6) Pack as light/little as possible, you have to load and unload your "stuff" each day, there are better ways to spend your time.

(7) Zip ties, 1 heavy weight ratchet strap, and a spare clutch cable, besides the normal tool and tire repair kit.

(8) SPOT if you are a solo traveler.

(9) Starbucks VIA instant coffee, (and a mircowave safe cup/bowl if not camping)............better than most motel coffee and keeps your pots, kettles and expresso makers (my first cross county trip companion!) at home.

Did I say pack light.................see (6) above.

a2ronm screwed with this post 03-12-2013 at 02:19 PM
a2ronm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:07 PM   #32
deucestaley11 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2ronm View Post
(1)

(8) SPOT if you are a solo traveler.
"SPOT" meaning...???
deucestaley11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #33
a2ronm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
SPOT Personal Tracker and SOS beacon

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282391
a2ronm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #34
Travex
Lost is found

Oddometer: 134
Credit Cards, Cash & Traveler's Checks

Living near the Canadian border I pretty much split my riding between there and the US. Having learned from experience I contact my CC company to advise them that I'll be in Canada so they don't suspect unauthorized CC use.

That said, I STILL on occasion find my CC's being locked out for suspected illicit use. I carry two, but now I carry more cash and a few traveler's checks as backup.

2012 Super Tenere For Sale in "The Flea Market"

Travex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:39 PM   #35
gring0loc0
lane splitter

Oddometer: 30
An extra pair of gloves. I thought I was ok with my fancy new waterproof gauntlets on my last trip, but I wish I had packed this:

One set heavy waterproof touring gloves, and a pair of light, fabric motocross gloves. Especially when riding in and out of rain and mountains. You might actually prefer the lighter gloves in the rain, since they're less sticky and will dry quicker. It's nice to have the option.
gring0loc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:07 PM   #36
Anciano
Bushpilot

Oddometer: 239
I took a Kermit Chair on the TAT. I didn't believe that it could be that comfortable (It should be as much as it cost). The young guys I rode with liked to see me go to bed early so they could use my chair.

Wayne
Anciano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #37
Two Wheeled 'Tard
Banned

Oddometer: 165
Let's be honest, 99% of the things that you might accidentally leave at home, you can easily buy on the road.

I don't know what your plan is, but I wish I'd brought a water purifier on my first big road trip. I tend to seek out very remote places where potable water isn't easy to find, and having a little pump backpacking filter would have made my life much easier.
Two Wheeled 'Tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:13 PM   #38
Two Wheeled 'Tard
Banned

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2ronm View Post
SPOT Personal Tracker and SOS beacon

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282391
IMO, the DeLorma InReach is a much better product, truely global coverage and two-way communications. Significantly more expensive, though.
Two Wheeled 'Tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:33 PM   #39
deucestaley11 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
[IMG][/IMG]Gopro testing
deucestaley11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #40
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Wheeled 'Tard View Post
Let's be honest, 99% of the things that you might accidentally leave at home, you can easily buy on the road.

I don't know what your plan is, but I wish I'd brought a water purifier on my first big road trip. I tend to seek out very remote places where potable water isn't easy to find, and having a little pump backpacking filter would have made my life much easier.
That's been my experience as well. I started of things that I wish I had and couldn't really think of anything. If something is really useful in some part o the world, there will be plenty of local sellers selling it. It might be overpriced and it might be very low quality, but it will be available.

The one thing I did think about is the water bottle purifier you are talking about. I wish I had that in some more remote areas. If you did your research on this, please post as to what you think is decent. There seem to be many options.
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #41
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 46,864
Backpacking gear is your friend.

The other thing is quality clothing that's designed to dry fast.
Not only because it'll dry fast after rain (Got rain gear?) but because it hang dries fast enough to be worn withing hours/minutes of washing it.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:01 AM   #42
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,287
On our recent ride of 2000 miles round trip to Oregon, camping, I forgot our folding chairs. After the first night without them we went to Walmart and bought two cheapies for $5.99 a piece.
At the end of a day riding there is great enjoyment in sitting around a camp fire in an arm chair with a drink holder.

We've also gone without our bike covers. I like it better with them.

I've NEVER been short on clothes, always too many.

We always carry our heated vest and warmer gloves, even in summer.

Sure you can go and buy ANYTHING you need, but if you need a bike cover or heated vest or warm gloves, you may need them RIGHT NOW. Also you will pay premium on the road. Amazon.com rocks!

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

DMV paperwork/room rental/motorbike/vehicle buying/Travelers help
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:03 AM   #43
sunbandit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Don't forget to take the right tools to open sprocket cover and tools to be able to put chain back on. Got stranded recently after a small fall on gravel with chain off and a 8mm 3/8" socket that was too fat to fit in and unscrew one sprocket cover bolt :(. Had to spend quite a bit more than I would have at home getting the 1/4" 8mm socket, etc...

I guess when I was gathering the tools, I was looking more at sizes and not checking that the socket fits on every one of the bolts. My issue was not enough clearance on one out of three bolts where the plastic cover was molded around the bolt.
sunbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:33 AM   #44
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,259
The right attitude. Seriously.
I have ridden with and been that guy who got up on the wrong side of the tent. It makes your day ugly to be him or ride with him. When shit goes wrong try and remember it is an adventure and every day is not going to be sunny with light tailwinds.
As Willys said he has lost friends and good riding partners. When you or your buddy is being a pain in the ass try and make it a temporary thing. When you put your helmet back on you have the choice of dwelling on the negative thing that just happened or totally letting it go and enjoying the next segment of your ride. This could be the determining factor on how the next stop goes.
I am still working on it but have lost a lot of great days because my riding partner pissed me off and I let it get to me.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #45
sunbandit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by damurph View Post
the right attitude. Seriously.
I have ridden with and been that guy who got up on the wrong side of the tent. It makes your day ugly to be him or ride with him. When shit goes wrong try and remember it is an adventure and every day is not going to be sunny with light tailwinds.
As willys said he has lost friends and good riding partners. When you or your buddy is being a pain in the ass try and make it a temporary thing. When you put your helmet back on you have the choice of dwelling on the negative thing that just happened or totally letting it go and enjoying the next segment of your ride. This could be the determining factor on how the next stop goes.
I am still working on it but have lost a lot of great days because my riding partner pissed me off and i let it get to me.
sunbandit is offline   Reply With Quote