Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2013, 09:53 PM   #31
brenter
Brenter

Oddometer: 361
insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired-N-Roamin View Post
My attorney has some ducks to herd into a row yet, but it appears the illegal u-turn perpetrator is going to get off (nearly) scot-free.

They were cited but (appear) to be poor enough to not have any assets worth pursuing.

They had the California minimum for liability insurance.

Essentially there is zero $$ available for the pain and suffering I am experiencing.

The only "bright" spot is that under California law the hospital and associated services will have to be satisfied with the small insurance payment from the illegal u-turn perpetrator's insurance company and cannot put me under a crushing mountain of medical debt.

So... I'm recuperating at my son's - slowly but surely.

Now the immediate task is to let go of the anger that having six months or a year of my life stolen has inflicted. And I have to say that this a monumental task in itself.

This is why we as motorcyclists should carry a high amount of uninsured and underinsured motorists. I carry the maximum they will let me buy. I read that in an ama mag years ago.
brenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #32
t6pilot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Anytime I ride my radar is on high alert
Especially if any other vehicles are in my field of view. Hi viz jacket, photon blasters, P3 lights, hi beams etc. I trust no one who has the possibility of hurting me
Get well soon
PS sue the bastard
t6pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:41 AM   #33
bASEL
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I Hope you are healing well! And sorry about the bad news on the legal stuff, but doesn't the insurance company of the perpetrator supposed to handle the legal stuff instead of the perpetrator them self?

Also wanted to mention, that while modifying the bike for better visiblity is great, you will also need to take the rules and regulations into account. Here in The Netherlands, for example, you are not allowed to have blue-ish lights. Officially we are not even allowed to have auxillary lights unless the situation asks for it, such as visibility less then 50meters (in fog). Also auxillary lights tend to blind oncoming traffic, especially during rain. The excuse then will be "I was blinded".
bASEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #34
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,989
Quote:
Thanks all for your well-wishes.

Yes, lane position is important - but if you are the lead dog of several vehicles - then... is it so important to be to the left or the right track of the lane? I'm sure there are proponents of both tracks and there are valid reasons to be in one or the other track.
I am constantly moving around my lane. Toward the left for general visibility. Moving to the right when I see a potential threat from something coming the other way (pretty much any vehicle approaching, esp in turn lanes). It's a constant trade off between maximum visibility and maximum space to react.

Get some nice LED lights for visibility. www.ddmtuning.com Not as good as the big $$ lights for night, but excellent for visibility.

HellSickle screwed with this post 08-08-2013 at 12:45 PM
HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:11 PM   #35
fast neutron
Lost soul

Oddometer: 3
Been there

reading about this took me back to 2004 when the roughly the same thing happened to me. In my case it was not U-turn but a distracted soccer mom trying to get her kids to a game. The van turned left in front of me and I woke up a week later in the ICU. In y case I had an APC2 pelvic fracture (broken in front and in back) and a comminuted right femur fracture (section of right femur disintegrated when it hit my clip-on) and a right pneumothorax (air on the wrong side of the lung). I wanted to pass on soem of the things that worked for me.

First, the poop thing. I found a product called Senocot (sp?) that really worked while I was still on the pain-killers. Follow the directions. I thought I would double up the first dose to "get things going". Don't do that unless you have a good book to read while on the throne.

Next, find the best physiotherapist in your area and work your ass off. Everytime I was in there learning how to walk again I thought about the careless driver who put me in that position and used the anger to push myself. This may not be for everyone but it helped me work through a lot of pain YMMV of course.

Lastly, keep moving. You may find that arthritis will set in where your breaks are. Keep active, at first that may be just a walk around the house, then around the block. Keeping active makes a world of difference in the long term.

I hope that you heal fast and can get back to your life soon.

All the best,
Matt
fast neutron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:29 PM   #36
Mr_Snips
Husky BRAAAAAAAAP!

Oddometer: 352
Just keep working at it. They tell me my stuff will get better as they are sticking 4 inch needles in my back connected to a welder.

But it does get better with time. Hopefully you get back on the bike again and i bet there will be plenty of guys that will buy you a beer. Put me on that list if we ever meet.
Mr_Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:34 PM   #37
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,263
Man o man heal up quick.

Left turners are one of the things that scare me the most. You can cover your brakes, be alert and vigilant, change lanes etc, but there's always a point of no return when you're passing them. That point where you have to hope they've seen you or decide not to pull out at that moment because there's nothing you can do to swerve, stop etc that would avoid them if they decide at that moment to punch it.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:39 PM   #38
Retired-N-Roamin OP
Retired and Roamin

Oddometer: 52
Update

Thanks for the good wishes from all!

Was at doctors 10 days ago and all the pelvis is 'healing normally'.

It's just 10 days and a wake-up until the open wounds in my abdomen are closed with the removal of the external fixation device.

Somehow the night that's finally off I'm going to luxuriate with a long hot shower! Something I have not had since June 25th! Wash-rag 'baths' surely suck!

I'm already good getting in and out of bed and even though I'm 99% following the doctors orders by not walking (with the aid of a walker) I have made the 25' trip to the toilet and back to bed a few times. I do not expect walking to be an issue once the fixation is removed. It'll take time to build strength and endurance, but hey...

Left shoulder that had the fractured scapula is 'OK' - not great but not bad.

The road rash on the shins is 90% gone - most of the scabs are off.

The current major problem is my right hand/wrist. The wrist had a fracture - I would have termed it a cracked bone but hey, the medicos called it a fracture. It's maybe 10-15% in pre-crash strength and ~30% pain free movement. I cannot turn the wrist/arm but about 70 the left will turn 180. Wrist up/down is limited the left will do near 90 forward and back the right less than 30 in either direction. Any bending movement beyond 10-15 just flat hurts.

Obviously this is a major issue and one that will be the most painful to straighten out with the physical therapist. The other stuff... ASAP, but the wrist I expect to linger as it really freakin' hurts!

I'm 95% off of pain meds - just an occasional one at bedtime.

Two products that really helped are:
Absorbine Jr.
Dr. Schulze's Intestinal Formula #1

The Absorbine takes the sharp edges off the pain in the wrist/hand and seems to promote some additional flexibility immediately after application.

Since the narcotic pain pills suppress the normal intestinal workings - constipation is the result - the Formula #1 has made sure that this has not been an on-going issue.

Highly recommend both products!

I'll not comment on the legal and insurance aspect as that's SNAFU with the various bureaucracies.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:39 AM   #39
YOUNZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Didn't see me?

When you present yourself in a manner, not to be seen, guess what? They don't see you, as planned.
I'm speaking to the average rider that rides a black bike, wares black clothing, and most of all "a black helmet"! Some flat black.
Just a white helmet alone could prevent a crash. That's why the Motor Cops ware white helmets.
Of course it isn't 100% guaranteed but a even a 50% advantage is worth not being as cool as you would like to present.
Being seen at all times is much, much more important than any armored clothing! Cabish?
YOUNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:33 PM   #40
CallMeBoog
hi functioning idiom

Oddometer: 5,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUNZ View Post
When you present yourself in a manner, not to be seen, guess what? They don't see you, as planned.
I'm speaking to the average rider that rides a black bike, wares black clothing, and most of all "a black helmet"! Some flat black.
Just a white helmet alone could prevent a crash. That's why the Motor Cops ware white helmets.
Of course it isn't 100% guaranteed but a even a 50% advantage is worth not being as cool as you would like to present.
Being seen at all times is much, much more important than any armored clothing! Cabish?

Dick

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #41
4wheeldog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUNZ View Post
People who are not looking can not see you, with flashing lights, reflective clothing and helmet, and a bright yellow bike.

They don't see you because they are not looking FOR YOU. They are looking for something big, that they perceive as a threat to THEIR safety. YOUR safety is not their problem.......In their view of the world.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #42
Retired-N-Roamin OP
Retired and Roamin

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheeldog View Post
People who are not looking can not see you, with flashing lights, reflective clothing and helmet, and a bright yellow bike.

They don't see you because they are not looking FOR YOU. They are looking for something big, that they perceive as a threat to THEIR safety. YOUR safety is not their problem.......In their view of the world.
Perhaps you're correct - those that cannot or will not see what's in front of their faces just won't - and there's little hope to 'make' them see.

That said, I'll make the choice to buy the gear that gives me a better chance of being seen by the other 99.9%.

Perhaps this is a YMMV situation?

Old 08-22-2013, 08:05 PM   #43
CaRefugee
Toy Collector

Oddometer: 25
Last two rides I had a car pull out on me. Amazing because I wear a hi-viz yellow jacket, a white helmet, and wait for it...a modulating headlight. Both instances were low speed, fortunately.

The first one, the guy never even looked. He stopped at his stop sign and then just went. I had no stop sign and was just cruising down the Main Street of a small mountain town. About half way across the road he looks to the right and sees me and just gives me a sheepish look like he just realized he messed up. Meanwhile, I'm fully locked up!

The second one, same type of thing but this guy looks to his right, where I'm approaching and I can tell that he looks right through me. Like I'm not even there. He begins to pull out and I slam on my brakes and that seems to wake him up where he slams on his brakes.

I've ridden my whole life but have stayed away from the roads. I've put on 1000 miles since buying the KTM 3 weeks ago but am already sufficiently spooked. I mean, if they can't see a neon jacket and strobing headlight, do we stand a chance out there?!!!
Old 08-22-2013, 08:29 PM   #44
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,837
Quote:
That said, I'll make the choice to buy the gear that gives me a better chance of being seen by the other 99.9%.

Perhaps this is a YMMV situation?
Here in the 'good old days' police motorcycles were black - riders waring black. If you wanted to be 'seen' then you too wore black on a black motorcycle ... Oh cop cars too were black...

YSWV .. Your Situation Will Vary
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:57 AM   #45
sierraoffroad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,326
i'm sorry to read what happened to you roamin. you sound upbeat and positive with what you have to work with at the moment. I wish you a full recovery so you can atleast walk without a crutch and be able to have a normal poop again let alone riding again. the fun stuff can come later.
sierraoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote