Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2013, 08:29 PM   #31
kellymac530 OP
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
They rip your head off at speeds over 50 or so.
I have been wearing my MX lid and it is pretty light, but the large visor tugs pretty hard. That is exactly why I like the idea of the Airoh...It has a visor, which I really like when I turn a corner and catch that early morning or late afternoon low sun you can pitch your head and get a bit of sun blocking but It is not so big that it will tugg like a full MX visor.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:56 PM   #32
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 802
Eek Best of luck finding one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymac530 View Post
... That is exactly why I like the idea of the Airoh...
Based on the comment made by mud it sounds like even with its small visor it sucks over 35... Would be nice if there was one that was Airoh class that was nice at higher speeds, just not sure if there is one myself. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
... My Airoh is no different. It is very light and comfortable, but get going faster than about 35 and it is very loud and the visor does its best to rip your head off..... They are just not designed for road speeds, comfortably.
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:20 PM   #33
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
If you want to use a trials bike for road or trail riding, get a full face MX or road helmet, if you want to use it for serious trials riding then get a trials specific helmet, ideally with a removable lining that can be washed.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:05 AM   #34
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymac530 View Post
That is exactly why I like the idea of the Airoh...It has a visor, which I really like when I turn a corner and catch that early morning or late afternoon low sun you can pitch your head and get a bit of sun blocking but It is not so big that it will tugg like a full MX visor...
I've tried and tested just about every visored helmet available, and IMO the only on the really blocks sun and is suitable aerodynamically for street riding as well is the Arai XD series.
Most visored 'dualsport'-aimed helmets have the visor too high over the brow.
MX helmets are the same way, though some have some adjustment.

You pay for what you get I suppose, but there is always used...

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #35
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 912
I'm still using my plastic vented NZI helmet from a long time back. This was after I was forced from using my preferred helmet for trials, bicycle helmets, by 'DOT helmets required' BS. I think downhill mountain bike riders smack into things harder than we do, so why not allow bicycle helmets? Oh well....

My number one problem is shedding and managing body heat, and heads really pump out the heat. If I over heat I start losing my left-right balance acuity and start taking points. The increased sensitivity is from no leg 7" below the knee down, and the prosthesis covers me up to high up my thigh. I have lost some significant percentage of body heat shedding as a result.

During warm season riding no Spandex or other synthetic riding gear for me, and I'm hanging on to the beat up NZI helmet because it's vented. It doesn't fit all that great, and the crappy strap latch that won't work unless I keep it lubed.

You'll also see me looking rather unsophisticated in my Carhartt shorts and a short sleeve T shirt and soccer knee pad on one side. All to shed heat!
The only downside I've found to riding in shorts is the muffler tip will get stuck in my shorts on dropoff and about spit me off the bike. I have to tape the right leg of the shorts to keep that from happening.

Another trick I use is wetting my shirt. When really hot I wet a long sleeve cotton (not synthetic) shirt. Gives me about 25 minutes of air conditioning.

I've noticed helmets have gone non vented, so I don't know what to get next. Light, comfortable, and really cool. I'd buy that!
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #36
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Some good points about heat building up, and one reason why I have never quite been able to work out how anyone would choose to wear a heavy, and in some cases non vented full face MX helmet for trials riding?
Old 07-25-2013, 10:00 AM   #37
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
I've tried and tested just about every visored helmet available, and IMO the only on the really blocks sun and is suitable aerodynamically for street riding as well is the Arai XD series.
Most visored 'dualsport'-aimed helmets have the visor too high over the brow.
MX helmets are the same way, though some have some adjustment.

You pay for what you get I suppose, but there is always used...

If you try riding trials wearing a helmet with low mounted visor, then in many cases the visor position will greatly restrict forward vision when riding steep climbs. This is the reason why all properly designed trials specific helmets have visors mounted high, and why the very best ones, have visors whose position can be adjusted.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:20 AM   #38
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,657
One thing to keep in mind is that trials helmets have their visors mounted rather high compared to other helmets, this is to keep the view clear. Quite a bit higher than my MX helmets.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:35 AM   #39
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,043
...'zactly, thus is why the scOOp air so well...

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:18 PM   #40
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
...'zactly, thus is why the scOOp air so well...
Yes!
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:46 AM   #41
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
One thing to keep in mind is that trials helmets have their visors mounted rather high compared to other helmets, this is to keep the view clear. Quite a bit higher than my MX helmets.
I have jammed my neck twice because of visors (the shade 'bills' not a clear lens in front of my face) and sections with unmarked over hanging trees and limbs.

Please remember to mark them with a spiral of ribbon so they stand out!

...because I won't ride without some kind of helmet bill, because that puts glare into my eyes and behind my glasses.
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:57 PM   #42
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
Some good points about heat building up, and one reason why I have never quite been able to work out how anyone would choose to wear a heavy, and in some cases non vented full face MX helmet for trials riding?
Cuz I wanted a FF and it took me three years to getting around to buying one? Seriously, thanks to this thread, finally ditched my FF MX helmet for a FF DH MTB helmet, the 661 Comp Shifted, white, with 14! large vents. Eye port much larger than mx helmet. QR strap too. Love it. $65 shipped. Still the only one in club with FF though. I like the last few teeth I have left. ;-)
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #43
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

You would find riding a lot more comfortable if you got a purpose designed open face trials helmet. See if you can try one at an event..............it will make a big difference.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:01 PM   #44
kellymac530 OP
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
I weighed my HJC modular flip up helmet, it was 1800 grams. My Carbon fiber TLD MX helmet was 1400g. Better, but still 500g heavier than the Trr.

I have come up with an idea to see if I can lessen the tug on the MX helmet visor though for now. I have a spare visor for my TLD that the paint is chipped on. I am thinking of cutting it up so that air passes through it even easier. Leaving the last inch or inch and a half in tact so that when i rock my head down I still get that sun blocking effect but the majority of the rear part of the visor will be open for air to pass through hopefull lessening the tug....I doubt it will stop much but worth a try on my spare visor.

I wish the Airoh was more readily available here in the states so I could try one....I would be happy to drop the cash on one but with so many people nay saying I doubt I will drop the coin just to see.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:16 AM   #45
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Airoh helmets available from Lewisport, and at 900g even harder to see why anyone would want to wear a full face MX helmet?

http://www.lewisportusa.com/helmets.htm