Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2013, 03:50 PM   #76
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 607
Don't overlook that people simply will not drive faster than they feel comfortable and nobody takes a moped out on the interstate.
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:21 PM   #77
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,124
Wicked

I got a ticket for doing 51 kph (corrected down from 56 kph) in a 50 kph zone, caught by a speed cam. The cam wasn't hidden, the speed sign was.
Apart from a small section the speed limit for this road is 70 kph. Absurdistan?
Given the rage and prejudice against anything with an engine it isn't worth the effort to fight the ticket.
And I know of at least one other location where the sign is hidden by a tree and followed by a cam.
In neither is something that could give a hint that a lower speed would be advisable.

At least in some European countries logic and rational is no longer the guiding principle in traffic code.
And local knowledge is at a premium.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:14 PM   #78
espacef1fan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Its often repeated that statistically, unlicensed riders/drivers are not as safe as those who are licensed. Having a license doesn't make you safer, it simply shows that those who ride/drive without a license tend to be irresponsible people with bad judgment.
The rider/driver who often speeds significantly in inappropriate locations is typically the same irresponsible person who makes other poor judgment calls, and has little respect for others. Speed enforcement isn't really about the speed, its just a convenient and reliable indicator of a pattern of bad riding/driving.

Our traffic rules and laws may be too conservative, but enforcement is lax and predictable, fines and penlites modest, and it takes quite a bit to loose your license.
Speed in its self isn't inherently dangerous, but speeding with poor judgment is, and if you stick out enough from the crowd to get dinged, you're obviously doing it wrong.

IMO, riders/drivers who constantly whine about speed limits and enforcement either have unrealistic expectations, or simply don't posses the judgment and roadcraft to take reasonable liberties with the law, and don't realize it, or are unwilling to admit it.

I wasn't complaining about the fact there are speed limits really, some of them are artifically low...but no system is perfect. My main gripe is the USA safety culture that believes that speed CAUSES accidents and that going slower makes everyone safer...instead off addressing the real problem..lack of driver skill/ knowledge/ caring...
espacef1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:41 PM   #79
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Everything you are saying is about how you feel
I said NOTHING about how I feel. Please start reading and try to engage into the discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
limits that could create a large disparity of speeds between different types of vehicles are avoided when possible.
It's a pitty to unnecessarily slow down the faster ones. It's like not teaching the intelligent kids at school because the dumb might not understand everything.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:12 PM   #80
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith Rider View Post
I said NOTHING about how I feel. Please start reading and try to engage into the discussion.
It must be how you feel, because there sure isn't any logic or science to what you say!

Jim

PS Not one link backing up how you "feel"?
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote