ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 07:53 AM   #1966
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome
 
RidingDonkeys's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Southern Pines, North Carolina, USA
Oddometer: 7,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyL View Post
I dont think that any of us are forced to ride what we ride. Having said that if a bike is not for you, move on and get something that suits your needs.
Yup. I've gotten rid of a few bikes, kept lots of bikes, but I can't say I ever felt like I had a crappy bike. I've had plenty that weren't for me, but never a piece of shit.
__________________
Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:01 PM   #1967
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer
 
SilkMoneyLove's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis
Oddometer: 1,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rat View Post
you guys win, Urals are great, sidecars can out perform any conveyance known to man...ever.... all y'all are superhuman hack pilots and have MASSIVE imaginary internet dicks!
Thank you kind sir!
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:55 PM   #1968
Schatzman
I Saved Latin
 
Schatzman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Omnipresent
Oddometer: 3,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
Thank you kind sir!
I will have you know my Internet dick is fucking huge.
__________________
Quote:
In short, life is made into a nonstop, commercially prepackaged masturbational fantasy.
-Allan Bloom
Schatzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:39 PM   #1969
StoneAgeMan
Wanderer
 
StoneAgeMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Oddometer: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rat View Post
...and call me stinky!
NOW, I'm REALLY pissed off! If everyone thinks my Ural is unsafe, it must be normal for Urals to go over 65? Wow, mine is REALLY a POS!
Setting the valves frequently (keeping them very accurate) and balancing the carbs carefully make a real difference. My Ural can go 65 mph (GPS) for hours. Not into any sort of head-wind, of course. My experience has been that about a 10-12 mph headwind will knock about 3 mph off of that (so running about 62 all of a sudden if it's a gust of wind).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
Only down hill
Or behind a semi! Mileage goes way up too

Mine goes at 65 just fine under its own power, when there is no head-wind. My Ural does prefer 62 vs 65 for any real length of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Various folks;
Sidecar rigs not stable
I can't agree with the above. On the freeway, I've shoved my Ural around very rapidly. It does steer very, very quickly (for a very small input) that makes it "feel" unstable. It's harder to run a straight and predictable line with this unit, due to the large effect that a small amount of steering input has. But having only a +/-2" for a "zone of control" over my exact lane placement is not the same thing as "unstable".

Turning left and braking hard on the front WILL(!) put the sidecar nose to the ground. Note that on a 2-wheeler, full braking combined with turning also causes a crash, so much the same. Nose to the ground is usually followed by total loss of control. So DON'T DO THAT! Either turn or brake but NOT both at the same time (true for all vehicles).

An emergency swerve to the right (toward the sidecar) WILL result in the sidecar wheel getting less loading and it will want to come up. Weight transfer is required to avoid this, but HEY it's an emergency, remember? I.e. I'm swerving NOW, not waiting 1/10 of a second while I slide my butt over to the right first.

Having the sidecar tip up in an emergency swerve can be disconcerting, even if one has practiced this (more typically at slower speeds than 60mph!). Due to my experience practicing this maneuver, I run ballast if I don't have any other stuff to carry. I like having 40-50 lbs in the hack because turning quickly to the right on an elevated freeway with a strong side wind is interesting, let alone the emergency swerve NOW situation.

Braking, it's not as bad as some say. I do different than (against) factory recommended settings and crank the sidecar wheel up a fair bit more (tighter) than the drive wheel (shared foot pedal). Note that front floating ventilated Brembo can really effect the front wheel, slowing it down a lot! Having the sidecar wheel tighter allows me to balance the braking on the left/right sides with just my right foot, thus having better directional control while stopping.

StoneAge Man
StoneAgeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:59 AM   #1970
The Rat
trust me!
 
The Rat's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Richmond VA
Oddometer: 62
Yeah, my Ural would truck along at 65 (GPS) with no problem. I have a CHT gauge on it. Push it any harder and the temps go up quickly. In all seriousness, I think the Ural is a safe machine. The brakes, the construction, the bike is well balanced.
I really want to love this bike, the looks, the practicality of having room to carry stuff (riding to work), the ruggedness of its construction ... After crapping an engine at 3,400 miles I'm a bit dissatisfied. After finding out that engine/tranmission/FD failure is still the rule, hmmmm. I'll keep the bike, fight through the issues, keep making the 10 hour round trip to the dealer for the next 3 years. I'll have an airhead BEEMER engine on the shelf for the time I need to replace the enigine on my dime.
The thing I wouldn't do is recommend a Ural to a friend....
__________________

Just pretending to be a poseur
2009 Triumph Scrambler "Harvey Mushman"SOLD
2009 Suzuki DR650 SOLD 1975 BMW R75/6 café SOLD
2012 Ural Patrol "Bad Penny" 2004 R1150 GS blue/white
The Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:20 AM   #1971
charlie98210
...a mischievous soul
 
charlie98210's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Stevensville, Michigan
Oddometer: 5,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rat View Post
Wow, didn't see my opinion as "universal facts". I guess some people can't read ...now the physics of a sidecar being unstable....well, those are laws (I didn't make those up, I just follow them) you guys win, Urals are great, sidecars can out perform any conveyance known to man...ever.... all y'all are superhuman hack pilots and have MASSIVE imaginary internet dicks!

So..... Anyone wanna buy my POS Ural?
Geez, I wish these guys would just stay down in the basement. It's sad
when they show up topside and crap all over the floor.
__________________
www.theaftd.org/ and Comic: The Year When Everything Changed
Read my new comic strip (IT'S FREE!!): The Year Everything Changed
...and they said to my wife, "We can treat the symptoms of his dementia. We can make it easier on you.”
charlie98210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:14 PM   #1972
Mikehusa
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Mikehusa's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Bellefonte, PA
Oddometer: 163
WTF guys? Someone has an opinion that differs from yours and he must be an ass? Talk about a wolf pack mentality.

I bought a Ural in February of this year and I absolutely love it. I have 3600 miles on it.

It has left more stains on my garage floor than all my other bikes put together in the last 20 years. The quality control is not there, you all know it, lets stop pretending. I have become accustom to "going through" all of my machines periodically due to race prepping or extreme use so Ural ownership didn't require anything above and beyond what I like to do.

I'm a proud Ural owner but not too proud to admit they don't have problems and definitely not so proud that I would contribute to a collective attack on someone who is rightfully pissed that they are having serious issues with a motorcycle they paid good hard earned money for.

Again, I am stoked that I bought my Ural, it is the first bike I jump on in the garage. It makes errands that would be otherwise impractical or boring on two wheels much more enjoyable. Do I feel safer in an emergency situation at freeway speeds than any of my other motorcycles? He'll no I don't! I use the same mindset driving my Ural as I do when driving my motor home, plan for hills, slow down in corners and leave enough room to come to a stop. This is the first time in my life I actually reference the recommended yellow corner speed signs.

This is my opinion and I could give a shit what my post count is, what tone you perceive I'm using or care how you quote and misinterpret my post. I don't care to get into an Internet argument feverishly typing away excited at how I'm going to tell you what's up. I'll either be stuck at work, riding one of my motorcycles, eating or trying to spend some alone time with my girlfriend, respectively....Mike
Mikehusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:56 PM   #1973
Schatzman
I Saved Latin
 
Schatzman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Omnipresent
Oddometer: 3,694
You have missed the point entirely. Not one person is saying he shouldn't be pissed ect. He has made blanket statements that aren't true. That is the issue.

Anyone who looks at or treats a Ural as if it were just another motorcycle is in for disappointment. It isn't a "motorcycle". It is a sidecar. You can't shift it like a Ducati. You can corner like a BMW. It is something entirely different. If you treat it as such you won't be disappointed.

On the quality control front there are valid points. That being said IMWA doesn't have the cash behind them like other companies. I will say, what they lack in quality control, they make up for in customer service. They stand behind their product more then any other company I have dealt with. Take a trip over to G-spot if you want a refresher.

I beat the shit out of my Ural and it has left me stranded once. I blew my rear drive out off road and I had a new one put in the same day. BMW sure as fuck wouldn't do that.
__________________
Quote:
In short, life is made into a nonstop, commercially prepackaged masturbational fantasy.
-Allan Bloom
Schatzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:23 PM   #1974
mlyamkaw
Drill Baby Drill
 
mlyamkaw's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Lake Wenatchee, WA
Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikehusa View Post
WTF guys? Someone has an opinion that differs from yours and he must be an ass? Talk about a wolf pack mentality.

I bought a Ural in February of this year and I absolutely love it. I have 3600 miles on it.

It has left more stains on my garage floor than all my other bikes put together in the last 20 years. The quality control is not there, you all know it, lets stop pretending. I have become accustom to "going through" all of my machines periodically due to race prepping or extreme use so Ural ownership didn't require anything above and beyond what I like to do.

I'm a proud Ural owner but not too proud to admit they don't have problems and definitely not so proud that I would contribute to a collective attack on someone who is rightfully pissed that they are having serious issues with a motorcycle they paid good hard earned money for.

Again, I am stoked that I bought my Ural, it is the first bike I jump on in the garage. It makes errands that would be otherwise impractical or boring on two wheels much more enjoyable. Do I feel safer in an emergency situation at freeway speeds than any of my other motorcycles? He'll no I don't! I use the same mindset driving my Ural as I do when driving my motor home, plan for hills, slow down in corners and leave enough room to come to a stop. This is the first time in my life I actually reference the recommended yellow corner speed signs.

This is my opinion and I could give a shit what my post count is, what tone you perceive I'm using or care how you quote and misinterpret my post. I don't care to get into an Internet argument feverishly typing away excited at how I'm going to tell you what's up. I'll either be stuck at work, riding one of my motorcycles, eating or trying to spend some alone time with my girlfriend, respectively....Mike
Great post. I agree
I don't think he came from the basement and made valid points. I really don't get the piling on from this thread.
__________________
14 KTM 1190R
09 KTM 300 XC-W
13 Ural Gear Up
14 KTM 500 EXC
mlyamkaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #1975
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah
 
biggziff's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Oddometer: 7,687
I think he should just be ignored. I feel bad about the Ural being in the shop (if it's true), but the rest of what he's saying makes him sound like he's never ridden anything other than a Grand Marquis before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post


You were saying?
__________________
"Fools you are. To say you learn by your experience. I prefer to profit by others' mistakes and avoid the price of my own."

- Otto von Bismarck


<><
biggziff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:17 AM   #1976
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer
 
SilkMoneyLove's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis
Oddometer: 1,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schatzman View Post
I will have you know my Internet dick is fucking huge.
Is it "kind of a big deal" Mr. Burgundy? :-)
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:37 PM   #1977
windmill
Beastly Adventurer
 
windmill's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Kent, Washington State
Oddometer: 4,084
We all know Urals are not Honda's, and sometimes require patience and understanding, its not about that.

It seems that it didn't get amusing until his comments about unsafe speeds, and he got feisty in response to some replies mostly from non uralists.
When you post on ADVrider like you're addressing a bunch of first time riders at a MSF class, and respond obnoxiously to those who disagree, you can't expect it to go well .
__________________
"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".
windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:35 AM   #1978
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay
 
tripodtiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: you dont call wagga wagga wagga
Oddometer: 4,575
My penis, sorry post count on this thread is very small, like tah-dah - 1. My post count elsewhere is what it is. How does that alter the validity of any comment I'd chose to add?

On the whole, I don't find too much disagreeable with The Rat's generalised statements. No idea on Urinals, never even sat on one, let alone ridden one.

Take a deep breath, have a think and consider what he's trying to convey in a few typed lines.

Irrespective of what you ride, the what is only part of the story. There is the where, then when and the how that will have some influence. Then there are the uncontrollables. In truth, the only thing that is, or should be, in control is yourself. Everything else is out of your control. So, when shit happens anything can become unstable, unsafe, dangerous etc. On that score, I agree with him. It's not black & white and, arguably, that may be where he erred. I don't think he deserved the serve that got him wound up.

So, now that I've taken five lines to partially express what could engage an hours discussion, it's back to service as usual.
__________________
rayb Crash Dummy (no testing involved)
Australian RD/RZ Owners Register

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:37 AM   #1979
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay
 
tripodtiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: you dont call wagga wagga wagga
Oddometer: 4,575
Oh yeah, don't we have speed limits and rules and stuff because we don't understand that when things go tits up, it's usually we that can't get them back in shape?

Not that rules are necessarily a good thing.
__________________
rayb Crash Dummy (no testing involved)
Australian RD/RZ Owners Register

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:52 PM   #1980
DavePave
Gnarly Adventurer
 
DavePave's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Jacksonville, Flatistan
Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rat View Post
Yeah, my Ural would truck along at 65 (GPS) with no problem. I have a CHT gauge on it. Push it any harder and the temps go up quickly. In all seriousness, I think the Ural is a safe machine. The brakes, the construction, the bike is well balanced.
I really want to love this bike, the looks, the practicality of having room to carry stuff (riding to work), the ruggedness of its construction ... After crapping an engine at 3,400 miles I'm a bit dissatisfied. After finding out that engine/tranmission/FD failure is still the rule, hmmmm. I'll keep the bike, fight through the issues, keep making the 10 hour round trip to the dealer for the next 3 years. I'll have an airhead BEEMER engine on the shelf for the time I need to replace the enigine on my dime.
The thing I wouldn't do is recommend a Ural to a friend....


Just curious about your temps... have you re-jetted the carb from its stock configuration?

I have a Suzuki 650 and notice that above a certain speed that the temp dramatically goes up as well. I "think" my (stock) bike is running too lean. As the rpm (throttle setting) increases the bike ends up with more air than it should... Thus even more lean and hot.

Perhaps you need to re-jet as I am getting ready to do...... Just a thought, and I hear the Urals (like all bikes) come into the states running lean to pass EPA regs.
DavePave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014