User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #76
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,363
So has anyone heard from the OP?

I'm wondering how his course knowledge and comfort quotient are correlating.
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:29 PM   #77
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
He's probably been out shopping for a Hayabusa.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:48 PM   #78
KoolBreeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4TooMany View Post
Um, no.

Google search for:

"slow look press roll" = 36,000 hits
"slow look push roll" = 153 hits
and best of all...
"slow look push turn" (like you claimed in this thread) = 2 hits (one of which is this thread).

Maybe your thick-headedness is really the reason you're so antisocial. I've already sent you the official MSF book, but while you have plenty of energy to continue to push your wrong-headed assertion, you have no energy to just read the book. Because if you'd spend just 30 seconds looking at the book, your argument would fall to pieces. Can't have that.
wow.

I have no idea how you think I give that much of a flying fuck about whether the official term to use is push or press. and I am in no way arguing about what is "official" in terms to what the MSF feels is the best word to use.

I am saying adamantly that I recall push being used, in person not in written form. don't like the link to the thread where the other MSF gentleman uses both push and press? that's fine... was just pointing out the fact that others also use the word "push". live with it, or get your panties in a bunch it's all the same to me.

that is pretty much "it" in regards to push or press from me.

now in regards to "anti-social"...

go back and read.. I said I wasn't in fact "anti" I just wasn't all that social. perhaps I miss the "push vs press" nuance, you miss this one.

people that insist on making huge issues out of little things like "push vs press" is one reason. in the "social" rides I have been on.... thankfully nobody was so freakishly anal about such things. nor could I see those personalities that I most closely associated with be of that nature. for that matter I hope to hook up with the one particular MSF coach at some point. he came across like somebody that I would relate to, while the others... while they were quite capable at their job of being a coach, not so much. this is how social aspects go and I am comfortable and accepting in that fact.

KoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:07 PM   #79
4TooMany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBreeze View Post
people that insist on making huge issues out of little things like "push vs press" is one reason.
That's humorous given that you've got just as many posts on the subject as anyone else. All I did was give the official position according to the class you took, but you want to keep arguing about it. Funny indeed.
4TooMany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #80
KoolBreeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4TooMany View Post
That's humorous given that you've got just as many posts on the subject as anyone else. All I did was give the official position according to the class you took, but you want to keep arguing about it. Funny indeed.

arguing about what?

what exactly is it that you think I am arguing about?
Old 08-06-2013, 09:11 PM   #81
tennyis OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Thanks for the great post koolbreeze!

and for the record my MSF instructors all said push, "push left turn left, push right turn right" is what they said over and over.

Push or press though, who cares... Just have a beer and relax guys :)
tennyis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:20 PM   #82
tennyis OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphyrnidus View Post
Question remains: how is Tennys feeling after the course? Are you still with us?
Yes, loving the bike now! Not nearly as nervous as I was before. There was actually 2 mistakes that I made that all related to my helmet that was causing me stress on the bike.

When I traded my atv for the bike, I had a dual sport style HJC helmet. It was the cheapest helmet I could find for my atv, I think I paid around 70 for it. The sun visor on it was pushing my head all around, for someone used to riding it may not be a big deal but to me it made me feel extremely unstable in the wind and anything over 55mph. I took it off a week ago and I couldn't believe the difference. Without my head being pushed around I realized that the rest of me was actually pretty stable. That sun visor/beek was acting like a big sail on my head haha.

The 2nd issue was that I was not wearing ear plugs. The helmet is VERY loud, putting in the ear plugs really took me down another notch.

I still have a lot of learning to do and issues that I know I have. My main one right now is getting better at cornering and not slowing down for turns. My instinct is to let off the gas when coming up to a turn, even slight ones.

I have about 2400km of riding now, still not much at all but I tend to only have time to do 30-50km rides. I have yet to go on the freeway, the thought of it makes me nervous but from what I have heard it's nothing to worry about. I also have very little time riding at night (license restrictions that are now lifted after 2 months of riding)

August 17th I am doing a 2 day 800km ride with my neighbor. Going to go to Algonquin Park and a county fair. Should be a lot of fun!
Old 08-06-2013, 09:21 PM   #83
tennyis OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
He's probably been out shopping for a Hayabusa.
haha! I do plan on buying a new bike next year. If budget it allows it I will get a V-Strom 650 (brand new). If that does not work out, I will go with a used Katana 750. I think a bike that will fit me much better then my current one.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #84
tennyis OP
Adventurer

any tips for my first 2 day bike ride? things to bring, etc?
Old 08-12-2013, 05:28 PM   #85
KoolBreeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennyis View Post
any tips for my first 2 day bike ride? things to bring, etc?

credit card.

seriously though... for an overnighter all I ever really care about is a small extra msr bottle with 1/4 gallon of fuel (which I carry everyday anyway) clothing layers, change of basics (socks, underwear) and sleeping arrangements. (sleeping bag and tent or bivy sack) keep a small flashlight in the pocket of my jacket and lighter in my pocket as well a folding knife... usuals.

glad to see you survived the MSF course!!!

oh yea, means to charge your electronics if that matters to you. i've done it the "turn off electronics while riding" method to save battery power until I rigged up usb charging under the seat.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:39 PM   #86
KoolBreeze
Gnarly Adventurer

fyi items I typically carry

on the bike: usb charging ability and cables. basic tool kit customized to this bike. 1/4 gallon of gas. tire patch kit. tire pump. registration/insurance info. ipad2. spare phone (hey, i have one so...) spare mini-light. spare key hidden. (you'd have to take bike apart to find it if you didn't know where it was)

on me: zipka light. lighter. knife. wallet. phone.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:48 PM   #87
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 610
Being a MSF instructor for 20+ years means I have heard the push/press forever. I use the terms the MSF says to use. But, I qualify it by explaining it is just more palm pressure of one hand against the grip than the other grip, in the direction you want the bike to go.

If you like push, fine.

If you like press, fine.

Just don't confuse it by saying "press down" on the grip. That really only applies to sportbikes when you are sitting upright versus the track crouch. Press down is useless if you ride with ape-hangers, or a dirt bike, unless you are standing on the pegs. Then its almost as much footpeg loading as grip push/press.

OH CRAP! I'm trapped into explaining CS again!!!
Old 08-15-2013, 01:57 PM   #88
tennyis OP
Adventurer

thanks Koolbreeze! It turned into a 2 night trip now! Distance stayed the same we are just heading up the night before to a friends trailer. I'm really looking forward to it!
Old 08-19-2013, 06:56 AM   #89
tennyis OP
Adventurer

trip was amazing! did 850km (little over 500 miles) and had a lot of good times and sight seeing. Already thinking of Lake Placid trip next month :)

The bike is a bit on the cramped side for me though, I think a V-Strom will be in my driveway next year. Possibly a KLR but the V-Strom just seems like its worth the extra money.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #90
KoolBreeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennyis View Post
trip was amazing! did 850km (little over 500 miles) and had a lot of good times and sight seeing. Already thinking of Lake Placid trip next month :)

The bike is a bit on the cramped side for me though, I think a V-Strom will be in my driveway next year. Possibly a KLR but the V-Strom just seems like its worth the extra money.
Good start on a hopefully long future of riding no doubt.

Guess time wil tell which bike will best represent your preference of riding. I think both are good, I know I spend a LOT of miles and enjoy a bit of spirited road and recognize the strom as right up at the top of fitting this. In the meantime you'll still be enjoying the experience!