Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2008, 08:34 AM   #16
Charla
Tamalamian

Oddometer: 26,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke
I think it just takes practice. Get used to standing and riding and you'll be shifting without thinking about it.

I still have to think about it. I usually wind up picking my whole foot up off the peg to catch the shifter with my toe.
Charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:45 AM   #17
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charla

I still have to think about it. I usually wind up picking my whole foot up off the peg to catch the shifter with my toe.
Other than some concious thought about it at the moment, you have it down pat. Moving your foot is reasonable. The last thing you want to do is have your foot bump the shifter to either another gear or neutral, so having the shifter away from your foot is reasonable. You just need to ride more shifting more to get it to be a natural motion without forethought.

As for moving your foot on the pegs, in a side note: I have size 7 (men) feet and have to lift and even move my foot forward to shift while standing... pretty much always have over the past 35 years. Of course starting out on the trials bike, it became a natural thing since one would have had to have size 24 feet to shift while on the peg.

Unless I cut the shifter down I have always had to position my foot with my heel partly on the peg to shift most any bike. I cut an inch out of both my old Bultaco flat tracker and Suzuki MX shift levers, to suit my feet. Bikes aren't built for people with small feet.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:12 AM   #18
Charla
Tamalamian

Oddometer: 26,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53
Other than some concious thought about it at the moment, you have it down pat. Moving your foot is reasonable. The last thing you want to do is have your foot bump the shifter to either another gear or neutral, so having the shifter away from your foot is reasonable. You just need to ride more shifting more to get it to be a natural motion without forethought.

As for moving your foot on the pegs, in a side note: I have size 7 (men) feet and have to lift and even move my foot forward to shift while standing... pretty much always have over the past 35 years. Of course starting out on the trials bike, it became a natural thing since one would have had to have size 24 feet to shift while on the peg.

Unless I cut the shifter down I have always had to position my foot with my heel partly on the peg to shift most any bike. I cut an inch out of both my old Bultaco flat tracker and Suzuki MX shift levers, to suit my feet. Bikes aren't built for people with small feet.
I wear a size 7 as well and my Tech6's don't allow for much ankle flex even if I could reach the lever.
Charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:33 AM   #19
AnnieGS
Namasté, bitches!

Oddometer: 29,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie
Consider switching to a shorter shift lever...
caveat: this may make it easier to unintentionally knock the bike out of gear.
AnnieGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:24 PM   #20
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,805
This shifting while standing business is something I need to work on. I end up taking my weight off the peg to move my foot under the shifter which affects my steering.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:26 PM   #21
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
This shifting while standing business is something I need to work on. I end up taking my weight off the peg to move my foot under the shifter which affects my steering.
That's what's going to happen. To shift you will most often have to move your foot off the peg. Eventually you will automatically compensate for the movement so your steering isn't affected. Again, having ridden a trials bike where you can not touch the lever while on the peg, it is all in the learning process. You just have to get used to it.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:54 PM   #22
Le Barge
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
You needs to form manly calves....Standing is about being one with your bike in my humble opinion..When I was a wee lad it was easy and now i find it more difficult ..My bike is a pig and I'm not as strong as i used to be yada yada yada...Any and all excuses to be riding poorly ..My best advice is to go slowly over cresting hills and body flex untill you and your bike are buddies again ..As a kid we only rode standing and it must have been easier... tis a pain to relearn old skills..I have never set up my bike correctly rather made all adjustments via my own body to compensate ... changing the bike ....?? hmm what a novel idea
Le Barge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #23
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,253
Bringing life to a dead thread. In the next week I'll be taking a dirt riding course and I am hoping we cover this. I'm assuming it's not considered an "advanced" technique. Read through some great advice and I've been in the parking lots running up and down through 1st and 2nd while standing on my DR. Awkward now and I'm sure it will begin to feel more natural.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #24
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstPath View Post
Bringing life to a dead thread. In the next week I'll be taking a dirt riding course and I am hoping we cover this. I'm assuming it's not considered an "advanced" technique. Read through some great advice and I've been in the parking lots running up and down through 1st and 2nd while standing on my DR. Awkward now and I'm sure it will begin to feel more natural.
You don't need dirt to practice, you can practice riding out of your subdivision.

I haven't been offroad in years. But I've been continually shifting while standing, on pavement. I often ride through town on my CBF getting up to 3rd gear standing on the pegs then staying there until I'm in 1st again, and will sit just before I stop.

The CBF's ergonomics don't allow for great handling while standing, but the Strom I had before it, was great. I would ride backroads for 15 minutes and speeds up to 100k and stand the whole time.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:15 PM   #25
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
I was riding around Lake Superior, with my GF, guy on sporting touring, no one on the back seat, asked why I took my bagger, when I own a Concours. I said it is just more comfortable. He told me you can stand up these. It may be lost on him that I could stand on my bagger, but it is is even better when you don't have to stand up. I don't miss the days riding little bikes, I can't remember the last time I stood up.

I do realize off road is different.

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:07 PM   #26
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Rotate the shift lever up one notch on the spline, it's easier to get your toe under it when standing.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:23 AM   #27
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
I find "pivot pegz" help a lot in this regard, particularly when wearing Enduro boots. I really struggled with it at first, but it does get easier the more time you spend stood up, eventually you'll stop thinking about it and it will just become automatic. In a word: Practice. :)
Old 07-26-2013, 12:21 PM   #28
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charla View Post

Me too. No biggie, though. I don't think about it but it can feel awkward in rougher terrain.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:52 PM   #29
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charla View Post
I wear a size 7 as well and my Tech6's don't allow for much ankle flex even if I could reach the lever.
Why I don't wear heavy MX boots for the casual dirt road riding I do. Just about everytime I've dropped the bike off road I've been fishing around for another gear at the time. I'll live with less protection in return for ankle joints that'll move.

'Better' boots don't compensate for more likelyhood of dropping the bike.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:28 PM   #30
theshnizzle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
I found out today that I can shift my Busa standing up......why,you ask?.....because I can! And, yes, it's an adventure bike...
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote