Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2013, 04:59 PM   #556
Gordo83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Like Thumpermeister said. This is a good place to start: http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/...-pre-65-bikes/
Gordo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:26 PM   #557
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
Hey all, SO, does anyone have any pointers for looking for a pre-65' Trials bike? Any sites I should check out? I should add, that I am LOOKING. I don't really know how serious I am yet....
Based on that last line I would say buy a TL-125, add gas before each event and just ride! Otherwise, there's a couple good responses here already.

Should you decide you are serious there are some resources out there once you are narrowed down to a specific machine. There are a lot of ways to approach this, depending on whether you are buying an existing competition-ready bike or looking for an all-out project. The former route is the easiest, and while the bike will still cost more and be more work (both riding and maintaining!) then a later twinshock...it might just be manageable for a rider with the committment and good mechanical skills. A project bike with engine work, kit frames, fabrication, aftermarket bits, etc. is a lot more work of course, but also lot of satisfaction IF that's what you want AND you have the time, resources and money...as noted by others here.

Most of the bikes in the class are British as is most of the aftermarket support, but there are a few domestic sources as well. The good news is there is an active cottage-industry around these bikes, making parts availability often better then for many later twin-shock bikes and monos! There's a lot of variety within the pre-65 category, from the early light weight two-strokes (BSA Bantams) to smaller four strokes (Triumph Tiger Cub) and of course big singles (BSA, Matchless, Ariel) and even twins...with varying levels of availability, difficulty and cost. Hopefully you already have some idea here of what you want?
roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:26 AM   #558
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Here in the UK at least, most serious "P65" competitors have bikes built using modern chrom moly frames, highly modified motors, in some cases using few if any OE parts. These bikes are far more competitive than anything vaguely related to an authentic P65 bike, but cannot be compared to a well built 1980s twinshock, which works an awful lot better and costs about 25% of the price of a modern day "P65".

Before making any sort of decision regards P65 bikes though, its a very good idea to try and have a ride on a few, purely and simply due to the fact that these machines are either love/hate, and certainly not suitable for everyone.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:50 PM   #559
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,698
Well, thanks for the input.
I am leaning toward a twin-shock Fantic actually.... I just wanted to see what was out there for pre-65.... I guess it would be a little more than I would like to get into at this point. I would be fun, but I think it would end up taking up to much of my time, or $$$$$$.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:30 AM   #560
Thumpermeister
roost maker

Oddometer: 2,492
Quote:
It would be fun, but I think it would end up taking up to much of my time, or $$$$$$.
Yep. Generally guys with classic trials bikes have some history or natural affinity towards them. When it's second nature to you there is no issue running one.
Of course, that's probably what a lot of modern riders think about twin-shock bikes!
Thumpermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:25 PM   #561
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I am leaning toward a twin-shock Fantic actually.... I just wanted to see what was out there for pre-65.... I guess it would be a little more than I would like to get into at this point. I would be fun, but I think it would end up taking up to much of my time, or $$$$$$.

Go for a TS Fantic................parts might not be easy in the US, but will work an awful lot better than any of the "P65" bikes, and will be much more fun to ride.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:32 PM   #562
mud
I just wander.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
Go for a TS Fantic................parts might not be easy in the US, but will work an awful lot better than any of the "P65" bikes, and will be much more fun to ride.
Yeah, It's pretty hard not to get sucked in to the pre-65 thing. I have an SSDT video that is really good.

BUT, I know how much work they can be.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:00 PM   #563
Nodabs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
I rode Pre '65 bikes trials bikes for years without much more than changing oil and spark plugs on them. My Dick Mann built BSA B40 went from '91 until '97 without anything more than tires and then Bob Ginder re-ringed it and put a Boyer on it. It is still running.
My Alloy Clipper was also built by Dick Mann and is a little more finicky, it eats points. All in all not too bad for some old beaters.
I rode around 10 events a year and laid out at least 2 if not 3 more events a year with them.
They are not for everyone, but they can be fun.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #564
mud
I just wander.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodabs View Post
I rode Pre '65 bikes trials bikes for years without much more than changing oil and spark plugs on them. My Dick Mann built BSA B40 went from '91 until '97 without anything more than tires and then Bob Ginder re-ringed it and put a Boyer on it. It is still running.
My Alloy Clipper was also built by Dick Mann and is a little more finicky, it eats points. All in all not too bad for some old beaters.
I rode around 10 events a year and laid out at least 2 if not 3 more events a year with them.
They are not for everyone, but they can be fun.
I haven't totally ruled it out.....
Old 07-31-2013, 12:55 AM   #565
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

You should do...................P65 is very much an acquired taste, and unless you have a highly modified bike, it wont be that nice to ride in comparison to a nicely built twin shock.

Best thing to do though if you are still undecided, is to go along to some events and see if you can get to try a few bikes.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:05 AM   #566
mud
I just wander.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
You should do...................P65 is very much an acquired taste, and unless you have a highly modified bike, it wont be that nice to ride in comparison to a nicely built twin shock.

Best thing to do though if you are still undecided, is to go along to some events and see if you can get to try a few bikes.
Oh, I know... The biggest factory will just flat out be cost. I can get into a twin shock for WAY less, even if I build up a Majesty TY or something like that.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:18 AM   #567
SherpaT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
A few vintage photos of my Dad. 1978 or so, on his Ossa BLT Bolger, probably in District 7 (Maryland).

SherpaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:48 PM   #568
Gordo83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
GREAT PICS!! Thanks for sharing.
Gordo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #569
Rockcat
LDA

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
You should try one. My DM Alloy Clipper is incredibly fun to ride. The thump is addictive. They are expensive, but they do hold their value.
Rockcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #570
Nodabs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Wow, someone else with a clipper!