Old 07-29-2013, 08:26 AM   #1082
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 8,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post
No disrespect MM but :

Ultra H/D 4mm tubes with Max air pressure will survive in the Rocky Mtns
That tube was ripped open by a large nail.

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:30 AM   #1083
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,009
WDKR 2013

So this year I decided it be best to lead the riders in reverse.

We took 550 down to Old Lime Creek Rd (about 16 miles from camp).

Then we took 550 further south to County Rd 250 which then you turn onto the Jeep Road called Pinkerton-Flagstaff Rd.

This Jeep road takes you up to the top, which is very loose, and also ledges, and some very narrow switch backs (Not big bike friendly at all).

and here it is...

noskills on the biggest bike a XR650R

Then I believe it turns into Dutch Creek trail single track, that we took to Jones Creek, to Hermosa, to Pinkerton, back up to Dutch creek and back down Jones again and Hermosa all the way north to Hermosa Park. It was a very interesting ride, others can post the video or pictures they took up the motorcycle recovery they had to do with ropes and pulleys.

WildTurkey

A nice steep hill to climb on Dutch Creek

Another little spot

A helping hand

A nice little rest stop where the trail turns into ATV on Hermosa near the north end.

MountainsandRivers and I waited and the group never showed up so after much debate and thinking we were hearing motors we went back. This section of the trail is VERY narrow, with huge drops to the water below. They were not far behind, but we lost one rider to the drop and they used the rope and pulleys to bring his bike back up.

We took another brief break at the waterfall spot. People were out of water, and nearing fuel issues. So we high tailed it up the ATV trail and out to the Village right there at 550.

Fuel was transferred, there was a garden hose...hey no one around so we used it. A few even washed their bikes...LOL

noskills showing us how to blow into holes and make stuff come out

Video to come later, and I'm sure others will have pictures. Last year it was about 98 miles, tossing in that extra loop probably brought it up to 110 (my GPS died so that is a guess).
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:41 AM   #1084
redninja
Will ride 4 scenery

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
Saturday's Ride with Fergi

Fergi down below, saying NO WAY...I turned around.
I don't know who this Fergi person is, but he/she made a fine decision...here I am likely in that same area......huggin' that hill!

redninja screwed with this post 07-29-2013 at 09:51 AM
redninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:02 AM   #1085
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by redninja View Post
I don't know who this Fergi person is, but he/she made a fine decision...here I am likely in that same area......huggin' that hill!

Hey were you the older couple (!!!) on Saturday before the notch/antenna area that were getting turned around on that steep section? If so we came up past you as you were trying to get turned around. We both wanted to stop but your picture does it no justice as it was VERY steep and loose. It's why I stopped at the notch just to make sure you guys did not need help as we kept an eye on you till it looked like you were both okay.

Once you get to the Notch it was flat, but it did narrow down more, then widen back up past the antenna, except for where I decided to try and go...then it went from steep (where you went down) to crazy steep and so loose it was not safe at all. I guess most don't try and summit, as Fergi said the wide flat road just went around and ended.

Glad you two were okay.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:25 AM   #1086
pow_rider17
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Thanks for posting up the pics modette!

I don't know if its a good thing or a bad thing that I seem to be featured in all the difficult places.

And it was me that sent my bike off the hillside. I think steveo has some video of the bike rescue......

Thanks to all who helped me along on this adventure. steveo was invaluable with fuel, rope, pulleys, know-how, muscle, etc. help.--Larry
pow_rider17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:45 AM   #1087
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 2,158
Larry, how is your ankle? Glad you forged ahead and did the ride, after those initial ledges, it was such a fun ride. I really, really liked that trail system! Thanks for leading that one Mark!
Old 07-29-2013, 10:53 AM   #1088
redninja
Will ride 4 scenery

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
Hey were you the older couple (!!!) on Saturday before the notch/antenna area that were getting turned around on that steep section? If so we came up past you as you were trying to get turned around. We both wanted to stop but your picture does it no justice as it was VERY steep and loose. It's why I stopped at the notch just to make sure you guys did not need help as we kept an eye on you till it looked like you were both okay.
That was us! Of course, my hair is VERY prematurely white...Mr. redninja is the OLD one. Thanks for checking on us !!!!!! We were just creeping along when my bike somehow decided to go into the hill...it was so slow, it just tipped over and I stepped off. Funny thing is, we had made it all the way to the top several years ago when we had just gotten the bikes, and were brand new to dirt riding. We've improved a lot since then, so I thought going up would be a snap.WRONG !! The road has gotten a lot worse over the years.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:11 AM   #1089
Two Dog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
What a GREAT event!

Thanks to all who worked so hard on the event... it was much appreciated. You can see from my level of posting that I am not easily moved to engage online, but I had a blast.

A special shout out to the "tenters upfront". I feel like I have a group of new friends...
- Steve, next year let's clarify "big bike/easy ride"
- Pat, let me know what they find on your bike.
- Sara, keep Gumby smiling
- Keith, stay cool going back to OK
- George, sorry I missed you as I left... but I had no idea how long it would take you to finish your biscuits and gravy.

And a big thanks to everyone who either advised, coached, smiled or encouraged me along the way!

Brad

'07 GS Adventure
'05 KLR 650 - Gone to a good home

BMW OA #136343

I'd rather be lucky than good...
Two Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:53 AM   #1090
pow_rider17
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainsandRivers View Post
Larry, how is your ankle? Glad you forged ahead and did the ride, after those initial ledges, it was such a fun ride. I really, really liked that trail system! Thanks for leading that one Mark!
Thanks to you too Trevor(Kevin ), sometimes I need a good kick in the ass to make sure I have a good time. It was a great ride. Advice for future modette ride riders: bring extra fuel, food and water....and rope...and block and tackle.....and well...just be prepared!

My ankle and foot seem like they will be ok. After driving home and sitting on my ass all evening yesterday, it is really sore and stiff. I guess the only good remedy is to keep riding......screw work!
pow_rider17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:37 PM   #1091
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by pow_rider17 View Post
Thanks to you too Trevor(Kevin ), sometimes I need a good kick in the ass to make sure I have a good time. It was a great ride. Advice for future modette ride riders: bring extra fuel, food and water....and rope...and block and tackle.....and well...just be prepared!

My ankle and foot seem like they will be ok. After driving home and sitting on my ass all evening yesterday, it is really sore and stiff. I guess the only good remedy is to keep riding......screw work!

HAhahaha........

We don't call it the Modette Mystery Ride for nuthin...... That man is serious about making it a mystery......

I believe one of the quotes on the ride was, "I've got superglue for spit right now", which was made after about 2 hours with no water and lots of single track.

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #1092
Saltydog86
village idiot

Oddometer: 952
Great event! Wish the rain woulda stayed away longer Sat night to keep the party bigger.
Had a great time meeting new friends, showing the riding areas I knew to old friends and learning some new areas (thanks Trevor !!).

When your from the midwest this is the kinda stuff you dream about riding...

The money shot....

05 Yamaha XT225
03 Honda Goldwing GL1800
Saltydog86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:51 PM   #1093
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange_Crash View Post
We lost a large set of keys 2" ring with a yellow bottle opener on it. Fell off the truck somewhere between RMAR and the Mill tour. If found Call Kevin 505-363-9874.
Drove that route twice today, asked the guys at the mill, and Jim at the rv park.... No dice...sorry.

Erling
ebrabaek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:43 PM   #1094
Orange_Crash
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
Drove that route twice today, asked the guys at the mill, and Jim at the rv park.... No dice...sorry.
Thanks for looking! I do have a copy of the major keys.
1983 CB1000C (2)
1989 GL1500/side car
Orange_Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:47 PM   #1095
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange_Crash View Post
Thanks for looking! I do have a copy of the major keys.
Quite welcome.....

Erling
ebrabaek is online now   Reply With Quote