User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2013, 05:38 PM   #3106
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,204
No details, just the photo. That's all I've got. :(

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
Old 07-25-2013, 05:47 PM   #3107
Woundflatout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Anyone now riding a Terra that came from a KTM690 or Honda XR650R?

I am contemplating the purchase but love both of my thumpers...one will certainly have to go...The XR and 690 are pretty close to one another. I'm looking for more comfort on the road...I think I've pretty much made up my mind by listing the XR...
Rallymoto #159
Woundflatout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:53 PM   #3108
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woundflatout View Post
Anyone now riding a Terra that came from a KTM690
I rode the two back-to-back while shopping. They are both great bikes. My thoughts were simple. The Husky has all-day-comfortable road manners with good off road capability. The KTM has rough road manners with great off road capability. If I were an 20% on road, 80% off road guy, I would have bought the KTM. If you are approaching 50/50, you'll likely decide on the Husky. YMMV

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
Old 07-25-2013, 06:13 PM   #3109
Ol'NumNuts
Getting Stupider

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Their racks are notoriously strong. Perhaps overbuilt.
WoW, that's an understatement... If you were a farmer I reckon you could strap a cow across that rack.

That's what I call 'stout'... I'm sure they'll sell a few...
Ol'NumNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:27 AM   #3110
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,115
Not a TR owner, but, that rack is awesome. Pure craftsmanship going on, there.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #3111
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'NumNuts View Post
WoW, that's an understatement... If you were a farmer I reckon you could strap a cow across that rack.

That's what I call 'stout'... I'm sure they'll sell a few...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Not a TR owner, but, that rack is awesome. Pure craftsmanship going on, there.
Craftsmanship? Hmmm ... maybe. It's beautiful ... But anything that heavy may take a toll on its attachment points & sub frame once a load is applied and washboard and rough tracks are hammered through.
Opinions?

I'd say ... let's wait and see on this one. Adding extra heft and weight to the sub frame area on this bike does NOT seem prudent to me, if one intends long off road travel carrying a substantial load.

I also notice that the rack extends some distance out beyond the rear axle. Isn't that some sort of cardinal design rule? Never extend out beyond the rear axle? Basic, no? I would sacrifice the passenger area and move it ALL forward.

Most Top Boxes post a limit of about 11 kgs. (like GIVI boxes et al).
What is the weight of the rack W/hardware ?? And how much do you want to carry up there?

IMHO, best is light, simple, elegant and strong. (pick two! )

That rack looks a bit complicated and over built. Out on the road it's usually not the rack itself that breaks but the sub frame it's attached to or the attach points. This is the only part that really needs to be strong ... and tough. The rest could be plastic.

The rest is not holding much and not under much stress.
I've bent, cracked or broken several racks and sub frames going back to my early 80's XT Yamaha's, '87 XL600R, XR650L, KLR.

With some variation, the attachment points cracked and, in some cases, the factory threaded boss was no longer usable unless re-constructed. In Mexico and Cent. America this meant back yard welders doing what they could. Not pretty ... and only a temp fix.

Knock wood, so far my DR650 is holding up OK, but one of the threaded bosses broke off (Suzuki provide extra threaded attachments from the factory). Everything else holding well ... after 50,000 hard miles. My top duffel bag weighs about 20 lbs. Soft Panniers loaded, with racks, about 40 lbs. all up. Traveling light is tough. An art form really.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:47 AM   #3112
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

This style, for all other models, comes in at around 9lbs.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:52 AM   #3113
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,214
Not a TR owner but i do agree with lighter is better on luggage.
TCI will more than likely build a rear rack only too as they do for all other bikes.
That will provide a nice rear shelf for a Wolfman or other dry duffel.

You then can use a Giant Loop Coyote and sit on the rear of the seat with it strapped to the front edge of that rack and the lower parts to the passenger pegs. Clothes go in the top of GL bag, camping gear goes in the WM bag, heavy items go in the lower part of the GL. You're all light soft luggage and the weight is forward and lower as much as possible
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:54 AM   #3114
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,214
Quote:
Then throw in Pelican cases weight on each side.
If you need hard luggage for security and such TCI builds some awesome racks for sure. If I was taking a TR to Mexico, i'd go this way.

I've also done 50/50 compromise this way. Rear Pelican 1520 bolted to rear rack for high security items and GL Coyote bag.
This pic is from Guanajuato Mexico.
I now run a GL tank bag as it can move up the tank and over the gas cap and give me more standing room.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350

eakins screwed with this post 07-26-2013 at 12:03 PM
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:20 AM   #3115
tactical-T
TreeStump

Oddometer: 569
Quote:

Hey RD,
How you doin? I see you have a Terra. I'm currently riding a BMW R1150R rat bike (if there is such a thing) but I'm looking to sell it to buy an all-rounder comuter type thing. Was looking at the Sertao, terra, Kawasaki versus... bikes that would be cheap, decent at getting me from Aberdeen to post in relative comfort, cheap and still handle back road exploring and cheap. You get the pic. The point... how do you like yours? Do you use it for commuting? I have a TE450 that I ride for my off-road bike and keep plated just for jumping from trail to trail and I love it. If I had the means ($$) I'd buy a TE310 just for racing. There is also the whole trials thing that Greg wants me to get into as well. Actually trials is something that I've always wanted to do. So many bikes, so little time/money. Anyway I've seen you popping up in different threads and we're in the same neck of the woods so I'd figureI'd give you a shout.
-T
The more time I spend in this world , the smaller it gets
tactical-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:26 AM   #3116
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by tactical-T View Post
Hey RD,
How you doin? I see you have a Terra. I'm currently riding a BMW R1150R rat bike (if there is such a thing) but I'm looking to sell it to buy an all-rounder comuter type thing. Was looking at the Sertao, terra, Kawasaki versus... bikes that would be cheap, decent at getting me from Aberdeen to post in relative comfort, cheap and still handle back road exploring and cheap. You get the pic. The point... how do you like yours? Do you use it for commuting? I have a TE450 that I ride for my off-road bike and keep plated just for jumping from trail to trail and I love it. If I had the means ($$) I'd buy a TE310 just for racing. There is also the whole trials thing that Greg wants me to get into as well. Actually trials is something that I've always wanted to do. So many bikes, so little time/money. Anyway I've seen you popping up in different threads and we're in the same neck of the woods so I'd figureI'd give you a shout.
-T

That commute is EXACTLY why I bought the TR650. It is comfortable enough for a 30+ mile commute each way, and capable enough to take the "scenic" and unpaved route home when I want to.

If you've ever seen that guy running around post on the green Triumph hack, or the red Ural, then you've seen me. The old Triumphs don't get commuting love...nor do they run often.

I'm down in Augusta for the next few weeks. I'll hit you up when I get back and maybe we can meet up at Railhouse for a brew.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:27 AM   #3117
farp
DualsportBC Rider

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by tactical-T View Post
Hey RD,
-T
I've been really impressed with how well the Terra performs off-road for a bike that's so good on the street. But the question remained about how good it would be as a touring bike so last Saturday and Sunday I decided to find out for sure. I went on a 900 mile tour through Washington State on nothing but paved roads. I rode over everything from freeways to narrow unlined mountain twisties. The Terra performed beautifully. It's got more than enough power to easily handle any freeway and is an absolute hoot to ride on mountain roads. After two 10 to 12 hour days of riding I didn't feel beat up at all and could have happily continued those 400 to 500 mile days for as long as I wanted. The bike is so smooth on the freeway that you just don't get tired and it carves the twisties like a supermoto. The way the bike performs coupled with its low price tag has gotta make it one of the best, if not the best, buys in motorcycling. If you get a chance to buy one jump on it because it looks like they're not going to be available much longer.

John
farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:01 AM   #3118
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by farp View Post
I've been really impressed with how well the Terra performs off-road for a bike that's so good on the street. But the question remained about how good it would be as a touring bike so last Saturday and Sunday I decided to find out for sure. I went on a 900 mile tour through Washington State on nothing but paved roads. I rode over everything from freeways to narrow unlined mountain twisties. The Terra performed beautifully. It's got more than enough power to easily handle any freeway and is an absolute hoot to ride on mountain roads. After two 10 to 12 hour days of riding I didn't feel beat up at all and could have happily continued those 400 to 500 mile days for as long as I wanted. The bike is so smooth on the freeway that you just don't get tired and it carves the twisties like a supermoto. The way the bike performs coupled with its low price tag has gotta make it one of the best, if not the best, buys in motorcycling. If you get a chance to buy one jump on it because it looks like they're not going to be available much longer.

John
Exactly!
Old 07-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #3119
njoytheride
NJOYN' THE JOURNEY

Oddometer: 827
After purchasing the TR 650R I sold my Honda XR650R. Not sure how they managed to do it but the Husky feels balanced off road. The only thing I slowed down on was getting as much air on jumps. The highway manners are fantasic as well.
Truly a shame if this bike ceases production.
YOU READING THIS KTM ?
njoytheride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #3120
Woundflatout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by njoytheride View Post
After purchasing the TR 650R I sold my Honda XR650R.
This confirms my latest bike to hit the chopping block to get onto a Terra. Awesome. Can't wait to get my Husky!
Rallymoto #159
Woundflatout is offline   Reply With Quote