Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2013, 09:27 AM   #4321
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodakaguy View Post
Man....wanting a 500.....Must stay away from this thread!.....

Hodakaguy
That's a good idea if ya don't want a bike that will do everything from MX to Brecktreck.

This 12 replaced my 99 LC4 640e that I bashed for 12 years. I have no doubt it will serve me just as well.

In the proper hands you can do it all!
Old 07-29-2013, 10:31 AM   #4322
yzmaico
Slacker

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colemanfu View Post
That's a good idea if ya don't want a bike that will do everything from MX to Brecktreck.

This 12 replaced my 99 LC4 640e that I bashed for 12 years. I have no doubt it will serve me just as well.

In the proper hands you can do it all!

Boy I'll agree, saw Cole go up any and everything in Tenn.

You really should disclose the fact that you are a really good rider
yzmaico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:21 AM   #4323
Hukamosh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodakaguy View Post
Man....wanting a 500.....Must stay away from this thread!.....

Hodakaguy
I'll trade ya mine for the westy...heck I'll throw in a '75 f250 camper special
Hukamosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #4324
Medpilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Hello from Phoenix

Hi Folks, first post for me.

I picked up a 13' EXC 500 a few weeks ago and have been having a blast. I'm in Phoenix, so it's been too hot to ride in the afternoon. I've only been out once in the dirt so far. Had to get up at 4:30am for that. Mostly been making short trips around town with the bike. So far I've got 3.7hrs / 91mi on the clock.

Since the bike has had a lot of down time, I've been slowly adding little upgrades here and there.

List of mods so far:
Desmogged using parts from the hardware store (I'm cheap)
Shorter screw for the kickstand
Fender eliminator w/ LED integrated turn signal
Seal Savers
Moose racing radiator guards
HDB Handguards, computer guard and key switch relocation
KTM grab handle
Acerbis skidplate
Acerbis front disc guard
KTM rear disc guard
Voyager Computer
Sicass Racing turn signal/light switch
Trail Tech Mild/Wild switch (not active yet)
14T CS Sprocket
Seatconcepts "lower" seat
Continental Twinduro TKC80 Tires

Bone Stock

Out on the trails about an hour East of Phoenix. At over 5000ft elevation it was only 74 degrees. It was over 100 degrease when I got back home.

Stock tire with only 3 hours on it. (1.5 hrs of trail riding) This thing eats tires!

Seat concepts seat. If I could do it again, I'd get the normal seat. The low seat seems like it could have a little more padding. Still better than the stock one.

New Tires, Continental Twinduro TKC80. Just got them on today. I'll report back once I have an off-road season with them. The stock tires would give me a little wobble about 70mph. These started wobbling around 80mph. Using spoke weights, I don't see any wobbles until around 90mph.

HDB handguards. Liking these so far. The mirrors vibe a bit at speed. The mild/wild switch is not active yet. My dealer is still trying to figure out if they are allowed to remap my edu.

HDB computer guard. Liking this as well except I need to glue/silicone in the indicator lights. They are a bit loose fitting.
Medpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:27 PM   #4325
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medpilot View Post

New Tires, Continental Twinduro TKC80. Just got them on today. I'll report back once I have an off-road season with them.
Season!! Good luck with that. Tires are measured in hours.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:33 AM   #4326
Medpilot
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod View Post
Season!! Good luck with that. Tires are measured in hours.
Damn autocorrect. I meant session.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:13 AM   #4327
Bengt Phorks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Damn autocorrect. I meant session.
Try a set of Dunlop 606's. I have burned through a lot of different tires on this bike and the Dunlops have outlasted them all. They stick good on the street and in the dirt they are very predictable. I use 17 psi for street riding and 12 psi for dirt.

I found out that increasing the air pressure in the front tire stops the front end wobble. At 12 psi the wobble would start at about 70 mph and at 17 psi it was rock steady at 85 mph.
Bengt Phorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:16 PM   #4328
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Just an fyi about chain tension. I finally removed shock and measured properly. I have 14/48 gearing and longer chain.

Behind lower chain guide I was able to get chain about 2mm from touching swingarm at any one spot behind plastic guide. Tighter than that and would stress output shaft and chain. Definitely likes a loose chain.

I got just over 100 miles out of the stock rear tire, didn't work at all here in Central Oregon and lots of chunking. Mt43 now has 400 miles on it and is in great shape.
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:54 PM   #4329
Medpilot
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt Phorks View Post
Try a set of Dunlop 606's. I have burned through a lot of different tires on this bike and the Dunlops have outlasted them all. They stick good on the street and in the dirt they are very predictable. I use 17 psi for street riding and 12 psi for dirt.

I found out that increasing the air pressure in the front tire stops the front end wobble. At 12 psi the wobble would start at about 70 mph and at 17 psi it was rock steady at 85 mph.

Thanks for the heads up. I was running 25psi, just testing it out on the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmc831 View Post
Just an fyi about chain tension. I finally removed shock and measured properly. I have 14/48 gearing and longer chain.

Behind lower chain guide I was able to get chain about 2mm from touching swingarm at any one spot behind plastic guide. Tighter than that and would stress output shaft and chain. Definitely likes a loose chain.

I got just over 100 miles out of the stock rear tire, didn't work at all here in Central Oregon and lots of chunking. Mt43 now has 400 miles on it and is in great shape.
It does like a loose chain. OM calls for 2.17"-2.28" of slack. "When the chain guard is mounted, it must be possible to pull up the chain at least to the point where it makes contact with the chain guard". That's more slack than I'm use to.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:48 PM   #4330
HeadinSouth
vroom!

Oddometer: 96
Just to update on my chain problem it was a faulty XTS front sprocket.
Changed to an OEM and all is good.
What a waste of time

Medpilot,
Get those street tires off your bike dammit! :)

HeadinSouth screwed with this post 08-02-2013 at 03:19 PM
HeadinSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:50 PM   #4331
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Gripping the tank when standing

Has anyone tried stomp grip ? (I haven't ordered it yet)

When I stand, I grip the seat with my knees for flat and downhill. For flat to uphill I grip the rad scoops with my knees in the area covered by the inner tube. Btw, the tube does absolutely nothing to improve grip.

The rad scoops slope inwards towards the rear making them virtually impossible to grip with the knees when standing under acceleration .

Stompgrip sent me the following pic which illustrates the grip coverage for their 500 kit

To be honest, the only piece that would be useful to me is the one that adheres to the rear of the rad scoop. They wont split a kit but reckon I could cut other pieces in the kit to replace the rad scoop pieces as they wear out.

I'm interested to hear comments/ideas for improving grip when standing on the 500, and/or experiences with stompgrip.
bill1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #4332
sevenfourate
UK Mud-Plugger......

Oddometer: 17
Quote:

I picked up a 13' EXC 500 a few weeks ago and have been having a blast. I'm in Phoenix, so it's been too hot to ride in the afternoon. I've only been out once in the dirt so far. Had to get up at 4:30am for that. Mostly been making short trips around town with the bike. So far I've got 3.7hrs / 91mi on the clock.

Since the bike has had a lot of down time, I've been slowly adding little upgrades here and there.

List of mods so far:
Seal Savers
KTM grab handle
Acerbis skidplate
Acerbis front disc guard
KTM rear disc guard
Voyager Computer
14T CS Sprocket

Bone Stock

Out on the trails about an hour East of Phoenix. At over 5000ft elevation it was only 74 degrees. It was over 100 degrease when I got back home.

Stock tire with only 3 hours on it. (1.5 hrs of trail riding) This thing eats tires!

Seat concepts seat. If I could do it again, I'd get the normal seat. The low seat seems like it could have a little more padding. Still better than the stock one.

New Tires, Continental Twinduro TKC80. Just got them on today. I'll report back once I have an off-road season with them. The stock tires would give me a little wobble about 70mph. These started wobbling around 80mph. Using spoke weights, I don't see any wobbles until around 90mph.

HDB handguards. Liking these so far. The mirrors vibe a bit at speed. The mild/wild switch is not active yet. My dealer is still trying to figure out if they are allowed to remap my edu.

HDB computer guard. Liking this as well except I need to glue/silicone in the indicator lights. They are a bit loose fitting.

Hi Buddy,

I just picked up a 2012 KTM500 EXC Thursday here in the UK. Managed to find one with just 3.6 hours / 74 miles and obviously in mint condition. (Advert from ebay is below - But i will get my own pics up in next couple of days as a few things have changed already ).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3009398221...84.m1438.l2649

Previous own [briefly[ tried the Metzeler 6 days tyres it came with, then put on a pair of TKC80's.

I've used these before - but only 'on-road' on a DRZ400.

I was just wondering what your impressions were so far, and as much as anything what tyres pressures are you running for dual-sport duties ?

****Came across this thread / this forum while searching for "KTM500 EXC on TKC80's on Google". Looks a fun place

Thanks in advance.............
sevenfourate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:53 AM   #4333
No_Good_ID
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Medpilot, your bike looks great. I'm impatiently awaiting the arrival of my 2014 EXC 500, and am planning out my initial mods. Who makes the fender eliminator kit that you installed? It looks awesome. Also, are the mirrors the ones by Double Take? Thanks.

Quote:

List of mods so far:
Seal Savers
KTM grab handle
Acerbis skidplate
Acerbis front disc guard
KTM rear disc guard
Voyager Computer
14T CS Sprocket

Bone Stock

No_Good_ID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #4334
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,886
Ack! Quit quoting the string of pictures. You can edit the quote to just have the one relevant picture you want.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #4335
Medpilot
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadinSouth View Post
Medpilot,
Get those street tires off your bike dammit! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfourate View Post
Hi Buddy,

I was just wondering what your impressions were so far, and as much as anything what tyres pressures are you running for dual-sport duties ?

****Came across this thread / this forum while searching for "KTM500 EXC on TKC80's on Google". Looks a fun place

Thanks in advance.............
I wish I could give you more info on the TKC80 tires, but I haven't put that many miles on them yet. I had my first dirt outing yesterday and I could feel they didn't quite hook up as well as the stockers. It wasn't too bad however. I'd they say Continental really hit the mark when they say 30% street 70% dirt. I feel these give a lot more confidence on the road while not compromising dirt handling ability too badly. As far as pressures go, I'm running 25psi on the street and 15 on the dirt. That's just a starting point for experimentation. I may go lower in the dirt and higher on the street and see what works out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Good_ID View Post
Medpilot, your bike looks great. I'm impatiently awaiting the arrival of my 2014 EXC 500, and am planning out my initial mods. Who makes the fender eliminator kit that you installed? It looks awesome. Also, are the mirrors the ones by Double Take? Thanks.
Got my tail light from ebay. Sellers name is pw-garfield. Here's the link to the ebay ad http://www.ebay.com/itm/200928437600...84.m1497.l2649

I'm very happy with how this came out. The turn signal works very well and I don't have to worry about anything breaking off. The tail light itself is a modified stock XC-W tail light. My only grip is that my blinkers blink faster because of the lower resistance from the LED's. I think that's fixable with an inline resistor. Haven't researched that yet as they only blink about twice as fast. If you go with a fender eliminator don't forget one of these. http://www.ktm-parts.com/mm5/merchan...A#.Uf6JxRY29k8

The mirrors are from http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/HDB_Shop/ Another "must haves" for this bike.