Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2013, 09:16 AM   #406
precarious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by coneye View Post
If they bring out , the new v a lttle lower than the current one , i'll think about it ,, if the seat is comfortable i will definetly be serious about it , sick of replacing the seat on every bike i've bought ,

And if its white , i'll be getting one , has to be white though , because after buying and selling a harley , t bird , bonneville in 4 years , and a few weeks ago buying a white 650 to go with the rocket , her who must be obeyed, is sick of me spending, my money on toys , , So the sneaky head will be put on, and don't say anything just buy it ,, must be white though so she don't know the difference .

Honesty does'nt pay . 27 years ago i bought a black honda , changed bikes every 12 month to 2 years , and has long has it was black, i was never even questioned if its new or not , alls she knew was i had a black bike , .

Now she's poking her nose in, its time to get back too normal , , no more telling what i do , .
Why do guys get so frustrated with having to buy aftermarket seats? I mean, I understand that when you spend $12K, you ought to be able to enjoy it for more than 30 minutes at a whack, but we all know that OE seats suck with few exceptions. It is what it is, and it's not a surprise. You've already spent the money, what's another $450 for a good seat?

I'm more disappointed in the vast array of sub-par headlights. The lights on my Subaru are awesome; the light on my GS sucks. Some of us do ride at night. I miss the lights of the Strom.
precarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:23 AM   #407
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,178
I just expect to have to change the seat and the windshield on every bike I buy. I don't know how the OEM's could produce something that makes every one happy. Everyone has different tastes and expectations. We come in an infinite number of sizes. Even weather can affect how we relate to our bikes. One size does not fit all.

Having said that, I always TRY to be happy with the OEM seat and windshield. 4000 miles on the DL650 Adventure now, and I am still using both, with no plans to change anytime soon. Also the seat I had on my DL1000 was pretty good for a factory seat. I expect Suzuki will do a good job with the seat on the new bike.

I just bought my DL650 a couple of months ago, now I am wondering how do I talk the wife into the new DL1000.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:46 AM   #408
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
I just bought my DL650 a couple of months ago, now I am wondering how do I talk the wife into the new DL1000.
You don't, just buy one in the same color....
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:03 AM   #409
Jrjoyce2007
ADVenture Addict

Oddometer: 874
Damn. Looks to much like a Tiger to me.
Jrjoyce2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:47 AM   #410
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
I was looking at BMW's once, and the salesman suggested the same thing. "as long as it's the same color, she will never know".

I got to take home a Triumph Trophy 900 once when they were knew. My bike was red, this one was green. I think she must have walked past it about a dozen times before she realized it was different.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:05 PM   #411
coneye
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79

Its worked for me quite a few times, used to be black bikes , changed cruisers regular has long has it was black they all looked the same to her , then i stuffed up and bought a blue rocket , 4 years later i've still got it .

Missis actually seen my strom the other day , when i pulled in the drive ,instead of the garage , at the side of the house, which she NEVER goes in .

She asked me what sort of bike is it , knowing that she got the shits because i traded my bonnie for it , making it my new bike 5 in 4 years , i knew she was being crafty , so i told her its a yammy suki .

Point being , after 3 weeks with the 650 , i'm now thinking a bit more power might be in order , so if the new strom comes out in white , its looking good , or maybe a tenere , sprayed white .

Only thinking at this stage because the 650 is a good bike just a bit slow . but i have to remind myself everything is going to be slow when i jump from them to a rocket.

Really i just want to be J Leno , what i would give to own all them bikes .
coneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:35 PM   #412
duckman
"sic gorgiamus allos

Oddometer: 880
my 04 dl1000 will probably be my favorite all time bike.i'm trying to like this new vstrom, and no offense to those that own one but i can't, its stupid looking. i didn't buy a multi strada for the same reason and i'm sure its a great riding bike.bmw can make a beak that looks tuff why can't suzuki. suzuki's beak looks like a beak. the over all look is also too heavy.i'm sorry i wanted to like it
and no do rags
'we gladly feast on those who would subdue us'
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #413
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman View Post
my 04 dl1000 will probably be my favorite all time bike.i'm trying to like this new vstrom, and no offense to those that own one but i can't, its stupid looking. i didn't buy a multi strada for the same reason and i'm sure its a great riding bike.bmw can make a beak that looks tuff why can't suzuki. suzuki's beak looks like a beak. the over all look is also too heavy.i'm sorry i wanted to like it

It IS a heavy bike. Liter size, big heavy roadbike. Adventure bike??? I dunno. For some it will be.

You must be the one odd man out that likes the looks of the old 'strom. I had one of the first ones and I liked it, but a 'strada has zing and it just didn't have zip in comparison.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:35 PM   #414
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
check out all these design sketches on the wall before playing the video.
http://suzuki-vstrom.com/en/interview2/index.html
notice the DL-Z 1000 on the left. and the DRZ-900S lower left
WOW, he did an amazingly good "sketch" of a BMW 1200GS right in the center of all the other "sketches".
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:05 PM   #415
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,573
Yeah, that IS a GS.

The only issue I have with this is just who is this guy anyway? Why is he such an authority? Plus, the creation of a successful adventure touring bike is not just about how it looks. So all that crap is just, well, all that crap. They're all about how it looks to attract the buyer. What about the basic parts bin components that get fit on them, and the basic streetbike functionality? It seems to be good enough to keep the owners happy, most of them just love these things. Having owned one, when it came time to pick another one, it wasn't even a consideration. Doesn't that tell you something? Don't we gain experience and discernment once we've spent time with a particular machine?

In my experience the japenese four are clunky in comparison to the european bikes. Components are cheaper made, sometimes more crudely, and the refinement just isn't there. OTOH, will they get you from A to B?? Certainly! And they're cheap so I think that's why guys like them. Many just don't have the $$ to pony up for something expensive, and many just don't want to make the committment that some require. I'm in the same boat - was looking at a new GS triple-black, was going to be about $23K OTD. That just wasn't in the cards for me, plus I didn't want that much invested into what it was even if I could swing the $$.

So a new 'strom is going to be a big success anyway, regardless of what it really is, whether it's a home-run in the performance department or not. At least it will look good, and look the part. Starbucks here we come.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:14 PM   #416
twinrider
pass the catnip

The designer seems knowledgeable and committed, spending countless hours on this project. Which makes it all the more baffling how he could come up with that goofy beak and possibly think it looks good.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:46 PM   #417
Crilly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
. It looks like Woody the Woodpecker.
Crilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:50 PM   #418
Fat Toney
Up Yours PoopSicle

Oddometer: 7,456
I like it...I'm looking forward to trading in my '03 1k
Old 07-30-2013, 07:01 PM   #419
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by coneye View Post

Point being , after 3 weeks with the 650 , i'm now thinking a bit more power might be in order , so if the new strom comes out in white , its looking good , or maybe a tenere , sprayed white .
Teneres come in white, this fully farkled nearly new one is a pretty damn good deal.

http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=8841.0
Old 07-30-2013, 09:35 PM   #420
Bolzen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
You see what it came to -- some ST is flaunting its superiority on the new rooster thread now. It can happen once in a blue moon, but Zuki did it Congratulations, 'twas not so easy to spoil the Vee's design, one had really to build a new model.

I can find lots of imperfections in just about any adv tourer delineation: asymmetry, breaking or irrelevant lines, small, ugly or cyclop headlights, disconnected or nonsequential color schemes, disproportion and so on. And whos gonna pin-point a flaw in this?

Bolzen is offline   Reply With Quote