Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2003, 06:11 PM   #91
doc riverz
anatra di seduta

Oddometer: 4,360
Re: Re: Doc Riverz

Quote:
Said LVR:
...1. The enormous kit means that they never really go anywhere because they have no adddtional room for the necessary gear to actually go on a legitimate trip.
Really? You sure are opening minds and winning hearts with your sweeping statements. One of my friends is a medic with the Alameda County EMS Agency. For fun he went on a large exibition to the South Seas a few months ago and was the sole medical practicioner on this trip for about 25 people. He had a very large kit and had additional training to go beyond the usual scope of practice of a paramedic. Should he have left the kit home because a "real" medical man like yourself was not available?
Quote:
2. But mostly because, armed with a bunch of bandages and some ointment, there will be the tendancy for untrained people or minimally trained people to play doctor at the side of the road and deprive the victim of their one slim chance for life and that is to be rapidly transported to an appropriately staffed treatment facility.
Your statement has an element of truth. However, we are not talking about a couple of broken ribs a mile and a half from your local Level III Trauma Center. Sure, the Tx of choice there is a quick set of ABCs, correct a bad airway/breathing as needed and a quick ride to the ED/OR. We are talking about relatively long-term treatment for the street. You may be able to get by with less then optimal equipment but why bother?

BTW, occasionally I've seen real paramedics play doctor along the side of the road when the pt would have been better served with a fast ride to the ED/OR. It is a matter of judgement. Judgement gets better with experience.
Quote:
The non-physician with the "great set-up" may well be your worst enemy.
Well, perhaps, but I'll bet even if he/she doesn't know how to use it someone who does will happen by.
Quote:
I carry very little and stop infrequently because I, actually, know what i am doing.
LR
Gosh Mr. LR, we are so lucky that you deem us worthy to even talk to us. We are such peasants before your greatness.
doc riverz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 06:16 PM   #92
doc riverz
anatra di seduta

Oddometer: 4,360
Quote:
Said RandomGS:
...My mother dropped dead on a sidewalk 13 years ago. >45 minutes of CPR by a well trained husband and wife team. Supoposedly unheard of, but she survived...
Still drives.
...Anyway, try to save a life, if you can.
Go mom!!! Way cool!!!

This is why I'll try as hard on the peeps with no chance as I do on the ones that will probably make it. Every serious case is an opportunity to tune your craft to a higher level.
doc riverz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 10:12 PM   #93
Law Dawg (ret)
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
Hey y'all.

I live by the words "No man knoweth his time." Also means I don't know his(or her) time either. CPR until I drop and glad to have kindred spirits here. You fire fighters, paramedics, corpsmen/medics, and ER personnel rock! Thanks for your dedication and care.

P.S. I scored some first aid supplies from an Army medic buddy to add to the poor mans kit. Now the sanitary napkins are for backup only.

RWLWFWH
Law Dawg
Old 07-30-2013, 06:20 PM   #94
Drivr8
Old Dog - New Tricks

Oddometer: 11
TED Talk - First Responders on Bikes

Was just looking at this thread yesterday to analyze whether there was a good cycle trauma/first aid kit out there and saw this on Facebook today: http://www.ted.com/talks/eli_beer_th...otorcycle.html

Drivr8
Drivr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:24 PM   #95
Sp4rks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Yeah, I carry a Medium Lifeline kit:
1 HARD-SHELL FOAM CASE
1 CARABINER
1 FIRST AID GUIDE
1 SCISSORS
1 TWEEZERS
2 VINYL GLOVES
10 ALCOHOL PREP PAD
3 STING RELIEF PAD
6 ANTISEPTIC TOWELETTE
10 3/8 X 1-1/2 BANDAGE
10 3/4 X 3 BANDAGE
1 KNUCKLE BANDAGE
1 KNEE/ELBOW BANDAGE
2 2 X 2 STERILE GAUZE PAD
2 3 X 3 STERILE GAUZE PAD
1 1 ADHESIVE TAPE ROLL

Old 08-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #96
doxiedog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 911
In my tank bag is only a zip lock bag of,
4 light duty fem. pads for road rash, and a roll of paper tape.
Thats for every day rides,close to home.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:40 PM   #97
Digasi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Mine is simple.

band aids
wrap
gauze
tape
hand sanitizer
tweezers
pocket knife
anti-bacterial stuff

Figured if I need more then that I will be calling for help.
Digasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:52 PM   #98
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,146
I only carry stuff that I can use. It goes in my tank bag. This is just a general break down not specific.

General meds such as Motrin, tums, insect bite treatment stuff like that.

Stuff to stop bleeding. From general band-aids to Kerlix and CELOX Gauze to a CAT tourniquet.

Stuff to immobilize injured limbs. A SAM splint and stuff to make slings

Medical Shears

CPR Mask (this is something I think everyone should have. I would be very hesitant to give someone from the general public CPR without one.)

Burn Gel impregnated gauze. Good for not only burns (such as if a bike falls on you and burns your leg) but also sun burn if you get a little too much sun at a lake or something. I've only had to use this on cruiser riders
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:40 PM   #99
Mr_Snips
Husky BRAAAAAAAAP!

Oddometer: 352
This is what i carry. I definitely don't pay retail but they do make some good products.

http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/...me=Expedition#
Mr_Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #100
t6pilot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
Benadryl have given it out plenty for insect bite reactions
Cayenne pepper ground, works wonders on road rash bleeding, really google it I have used it on myself doesn't sting stops bleeding
Trauma pack of Cclot deeper cuts and puncture wounds
Assorted pain relievers Aleve/Advil/aspirin
First aid creams
Bandages
t6pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:44 PM   #101
Mr_Snips
Husky BRAAAAAAAAP!

Not sure why they still sell it but quick clot is nasty. I mean better than death but not much. If you can find combat gauze its much better, hurts less, and the surgical removal is much much easier
Old 08-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #102
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,146
I got rid of my QC stuff and went to Celox gauze for those reasons.

Sent from my iPhone
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:06 PM   #103
BeMeUp
neverlost

Oddometer: 82
Super Glue

In addition to the basics previously mentioned . I also carry a small tube of super glue......."caution bonds skin instantly" works great to close an open gash.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:19 AM   #104
mrxinpa
Just Get Out and Ride !!!

Oddometer: 1,547
Two additional things I carry that most everyone has left out. A kotex pad was mentioned but I also carry two tampons instead. I also take a wooden tongue depressor and wrap about an inch or to thick band of duck tape around the stick.

Once we Came across a massive puncture wound out on the trail. Packed the wound with gauze. Wouldn't stop bleeding. Wrapped with gauze & med tape but it kept bleeding thru. We shoved a tampon partially in the hole, & few rapped everything with the bloody gauze and what clean stuff we had left. We couldn't sit in the woods holding pressure on, it would take medical personal hours to reach us since we where 40 miles from nowhere. A tight wrap with duck tape over all the gauze & his riding shirt & the three of us rode out. Got him to the ER. They cut the tape off and The bleeding had completely stopped, wound looked just as it did on the scene, emergency med staff was impress with our improv of supplies in the woods to get this gentlemen the med attention he needed. They were convinced had we not taken those steps to control his bleeding more than likely he would have bled out without our intervention!

So can U carry a small pack while riding singletrack Yes & I always do. To me the kits just as important as riding Along with my tools.

I also never leave home without my SPOT personal locator. We were really close to hitting the 911 panic button but the injured rider was adamant that after our dressing of his wound it was not a life threatening injury & wanted to take himself to the hospital. Instead We drove him & his vehicle and all went together.
80 CB900 Custom(Restoring)

mrxinpa screwed with this post 08-09-2013 at 05:26 AM
mrxinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:50 PM   #105
Mr_Snips
Husky BRAAAAAAAAP!

Yup...you'd be amazed what you can do with gauze and pressure. Puncture wounds can always be tricky...luckily since i'm a Marine i've gotten alot of medical training in trauma assessment and on the scene treatment. Once you've fixed up a pig thats been shot with a 12 ga or your buddy with no leg (not everything is fun and happy) than you realize just how little you need to save someones life. Especially when you have some basic training in the subject matter and the right tool for the job.

On the tampon note i've always heard rumors but never seen it done. glad to see that it does work to some degree. I was always taught they dont have enough outward pressure to really stop the bleeding.

I'll include a link to the combat gauze. I've used it in training and in an actual oh shit scenario. I wasnt real impressed on the pig but on the gunshot wound one of my Marines had it worked stupid well. I would assume its a bit pricey but you just pack it in the hole and its going to stop bleeding. I promise you that much. To give you an idea a friend of mine was shot through the quad (missed the femoral) and we stuffed it with the stuff and bleeding stopped without applying external pressure. So for a puncture wound or similar where that person is bleeding bad and you cant apply direct pressure to the area (since its a puncture you can only apply pressure on the surface) than this stuff rocks.

http://www.z-medica.com/healthcare/P...bat-Gauze.aspx