User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 01:13 AM   #46
Shadow 9er
renegade

Oddometer: 501
Holy Crap, Nemo!

I've been wondering how things have been for you since you sold the 919... Sorry to hear about this! I hope the healing goes really well for you!
Shadow 9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #47
Rex Nemo OP
horizon calling

Oddometer: 286
Oh, I still have the 919...I'd just added Renthal CR High bars and heated grips, too, darn it, and tossed in some Race Tech front springs when I replaced the fork seals earlier this year. I may need to sell it in order to get an automatic commuter car, though, as I've taken a big economic hit not being able to work much, and I'll be able to drive before I can ride. Haven't owned a cage in years. I do think I'll be selling the DR350, too; it's in great shape, just needs a wash and a new rear turn signal.

As for boots--golly, I'm not really sure. I think I'll be getting some Sidi Crossfires once I get back on the dual-sport horse, but my gf managed to break both of her ankles wearing those. No boot is perfect.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:57 AM   #48
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cale_Kat View Post
And the Ugly Foot Pic Award goes to...

I honestly don't know why anyone does wheelies.
Because they're ridiculous amounts of fun when you don't get hurt. Nothing else is quite enjoyable like a nice long wheelie, especially if you're shifting through the gears and standing up while doing so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Nemo View Post
Oh, I still have the 919...I'd just added Renthal CR High bars and heated grips, too, darn it, and tossed in some Race Tech front springs when I replaced the fork seals earlier this year. I may need to sell it in order to get an automatic commuter car, though, as I've taken a big economic hit not being able to work much, and I'll be able to drive before I can ride. Haven't owned a cage in years. I do think I'll be selling the DR350, too; it's in great shape, just needs a wash and a new rear turn signal.

As for boots--golly, I'm not really sure. I think I'll be getting some Sidi Crossfires once I get back on the dual-sport horse, but my gf managed to break both of her ankles wearing those. No boot is perfect.
Unless you absolutely need the money, you will want to ride that moto again and selling it will only require the future purchase of another moto. Best to just keep it until your foot heals and you can ride it again. Of course if you were to sell it and get a 450 that would be more fun.

There are probably some MX boots that have stiffer armor in that area of the foot but most boots are going to offer similar protection as what you had in the crash -- however, it's how you crash that determines how badly you're going to get hurt. Practicing your slow speed get-offs will help more with preventing injury than buying more or better armor. If you don't want to drop your moto over and over to practice then a $150 BMX bike works well - just take it to a dirt area and put on all of your moto armor and practice crashing, it really helps to train your body for the real thing.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:19 AM   #49
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 606
be kind to your feet

Hey Rex, hope the healing is progressing well. Just headed out for a hike, thankful I can still use mine. At 6 - 8 miles it starts feeling beat but it's worth it. Last week's view.

psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:51 PM   #50
adv-wolf
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Eek Kind is not in our nature

As far as being kind to our selves, is a contradiction. Our sport gives us every chance to see all the world has to offer
And in return does everything it can to damage us.
I know how the pain is, 5 1/2 years ago I spiral fractured my Right tibula from the knee to the ankle ,and the fibia in the middle.
I spent 17 days in hospital after they found a compartment syndrome and I had had 12 hrs with no blood flow to lower leg.
I'll walk in pain and a limp for the rest of my life, but would trade it for all the sport has shown me.

Now tell me it hasn't damaged my brain more than my leg.
adv-wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:58 AM   #51
Rex Nemo OP
horizon calling

Glad it has all been worth it to you.

I think so, in my case, too--joy I'd never have experienced any other way, wheelies included.

Thanks for the hiking shots, psmcd!

I'm a long ways from hiking but I have been looking up gimp-accessible campsites in the Sierra for a camping trip or two before the summer ends. I've been starting the process of looking for a car, too--haven't owned one of those in years! Hoping to snap up a compact SUV with automatic transmission soon.

One complication I've had in the last little while was a short-but-nasty bout of appendicitis. Dunno what is up with my medical stuff lately, but a couple of weeks ago I came home from work with a mild tummyache that rapidly progressed into a nasty abdominal pain and was, by 5 am the next morning, savagely unbearable. My long-suffering sweetheart took me back to the ER (is it bad that I recognize so many of the docs and nurses in there by now?) and after a CAT scan they found a badly-infected appendix, about to burst. 22 hours in the waiting room later, it was time for MORE emergency surgery.
Fortunately they caught the appendix before it burst, and were able to perform the surgery laparoscopically, so it was minimally invasive and seems to be having a relatively short recovery time.

Here's a similar video detailing the appendectomy. They insert ports, pump up your abdomen with C02, then insert an endoscope and tools and take it out.

I had my hopefully-final surgery on the broken foot a few days ago; the surgeon fused the first cuneiform to the first metatarsal with a couple of bone screws. While he was in there, he re-broke the second metatarsal and re-aligned it, then fixed it with a smaller titanium bone screw. It hurts a fair bit, but I'm glad for the stronger and straighter weight-bearing architecture this should achieve. I'm in a plaster cast now, VERY relieved to be bloody done with surgery for a while, and looking forward to beginning physical therapy when the cast comes off in 6-8 weeks.

Rex Nemo screwed with this post 08-04-2013 at 03:49 PM
Rex Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #52
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

bright side

Quote:

Fortunately they caught the appendix before it burst

Damn kiddo, this is gettin to be a bit much. Guess you're consolidating all the maintenance.

I always figured my luck was good if the car broke down in the driveway.
Bright side, you won't have to worry about appendicitis on future camping/adventure trips.

he re-broke the second metatarsal and re-aligned it, then fixed it with a smaller titanium bone screw.

I hate that part, damn surgeons, they take all the credit but hurt you worse just so you can heal it better
Adv-wolf, I hear what you're saying. I don't want to live or die on the couch.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:57 AM   #53
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,421
Quote:
even have a little fun...

Oh my! Lisfranc is no fun at all. If you don't mind me asking, what is the brand name of that nifty leg brace? What the heck is the type even called? Hubby will need to go back to get his Lisfranc fused in the fall, and I wonder if that might be easier than his knee scooter?

They claim that Lisfranc injuries are rare. Heck, there are 1/2 dozen of them on this subforum alone!
Old 08-08-2013, 12:27 AM   #54
Rex Nemo OP
horizon calling

Hey Dorito, hope your husband's Lisfranc fusion goes well. If you can, get the scooter and the knee crutch!

The "pegleg," as my buddies have been calling it, is made by a small Canadian company called IWalkFree. If you poke around online they can be had refurbished for around $200. It is VERY nice for doing chores around the house (laundry and cooking, as well as regular activities like getting the mail, putting bikes on and off the trickle charger, and taking out the trash) are possible again with the thing. Stairs, too, are not really a problem, you simply have to turn around and go down backwards.

It is not as great as a knee scooter for longer distances, and for alternating sitting and standing it is not as convenient as the scooter, since you have to take about 30 seconds to strap yourself in with the 3 straps. It is however vastly superior to the scooter on stairs, over curbs, etc. Keep in mind when trying it that the learning curve is quite steep--the first day I was wobbling all over, and had to clutch the bed, the furniture and the walls to even get across the house. I used a cane with it for a couple of days, then my body began to be able to extend its proprioception through the IWalkFree crutch and its contact patch and feel the ground.

I figured out now that I'm good with the crutch that I can, with effort, even walk on sand. Walks on the beach (short ones, anyhow) are restored to me!

One with the crutch off

And here is the most current x-ray after last week's surgery (seen fuzzily through the plaster cast)

Compare to the x-ray before it was fixed with the screw--that 2nd metatarsal is still un-healed and deviated upwards.

The 2nd metatarsal was offset a fair bit, which was why the surgeon re-broke it during the surgery and threw a screw in. I'm glad he did--it looks much straighter now.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:40 PM   #55
slowpoke69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Good to know you're doing well.

I caught this early on, and stumbled on it this a.m.

Glad your recovery is coming along nicely.

You'll get there, as many of us have.
slowpoke69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:01 PM   #56
Rex Nemo OP
horizon calling

Thanks! It's coming along. I've been in a fair bit of pain since the last surgery, but I'm not really afraid of pain anymore, so it isn't as distressing as it used to be. It's exciting to feel the bone healing, too--it feels really "busy" in there, which I take as a good sign.

Reeeealllly ready to be able to get off Vicodin, though...it turns my bowels to concrete and makes me suck at everything. Seriously, that's the creepiest part of taking opiates for me; I make mistakes at things I'm normally easily competent at doing, without having any idea I'm screwing up until I see the results! You should have seen the haircut I gave my girlfriend the other day. Thought I was doing fine, paying close attention, but oooh was she mad when she saw the results! Fortunately she was able to fix it with a little scissor time in the mirror.

Here's the latest incision--this foot is gonna have some battle scars!

And here is the bone stimulator the doc got for me to use. It's an Exogen 4000, supposedly uses pulsed ultrasound technology to cause micro-tremors in the bone, which encourages the osteoblasts to get busy building new bone at the fracture sites.

Research isn't completely solid on the healing value of ultrasound bone stimulators, but seems encouraging. Could be snake oil, who knows? But I'm all for trying.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:46 PM   #57
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
It's exciting to feel the bone healing, too--it feels really "busy" in there

You should have seen the haircut I gave my girlfriend the other day.

At least you didn't poke her eye out, did you?

Here's the latest incision--this foot is gonna have some battle scars!

Frankenfoot, but that's ok cause it's gonna heal up real fine.
That reminds me, other day in some steep rocky single track the DR was getting a bit unruly and there wasn't enough of me to counterbalance at times. At one teetering point I had a leg stretched to the side, wishing for one of those huge Frankenstein boots for a bit more counterweight.

Turbo-osteoblasts

Research isn't completely solid on the healing value of ultrasound bone stimulators, but seems encouraging. Could be snake oil, who knows? But I'm all for trying.

We like a little vibration and rattlin around - that's why we ride!
I think you've turned a corner
Old 08-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #58
Wingfixer
Watch this...

Oddometer: 2,703
Quote:
A friend of mine, ER nurse, broke her hand and used one of those. Her hand healed amazingly fast but there was a downside....the unit made the hair on the back of her hand grow like crazy, if she hadn't shaved it you coulda braided it.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:14 PM   #59
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,479
WOW ... just found this thread .. glad you are healing.
amazing that this happened with what looks like a full blown/protective riding boot.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:53 PM   #60
Rex Nemo OP
horizon calling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfixer View Post
A friend of mine, ER nurse, broke her hand and used one of those. Her hand healed amazingly fast but there was a downside....the unit made the hair on the back of her hand grow like crazy, if she hadn't shaved it you coulda braided it.

Oh man...I'm gonna have a hairy hobbit foot, then!