User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 108 votes, 4.92 average. Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 07:55 AM   #2071
Chad_NC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,758
Mike when did you get a Wrangler And when do you get to drive it since you are either on the bike or taking horses somewhere lol!

You got this via Crapatalk
Chad_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:14 AM   #2072
Mr. Magoo
n/a

Oddometer: 4,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_NC View Post
Mike when did you get a Wrangler And when do you get to drive it since you are either on the bike or taking horses somewhere lol!

I've had it about a year. Drive it all the time. I love exploring the gamelands in it. Nothing special but it does what I want.

Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:15 AM   #2073
Chad_NC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,758
Of course it's special, it's a Jeep! The VW truck still around?

Chad_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:51 AM   #2074
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,959
I see that this thread has been quiet for a while, thought I'd contribute a little bit. I got a new Jeep a couple of days ago! I'm pretty excited about it. It is a 2013 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. Here are a few pics taken the day I bought it in front of the dealership. I think I got a decent deal as they had a number on the lot, although not many with the features I wanted. Mainly I was looking for a 4-door Rubicon with a 6-speed manual, and most of the Wranglers there were automatics. Curious. I wonder what the percentage of new Wranglers sold have manuals versus autos? I was a little unsure about the color at first, have tended to be more 'conservative' in color selection, but like the interesting colors Jeep has been using in recent years, and this one, called Rock Lobster (which has been discontinued), is growing on me.

I will probably do a few mods. This will be my daily driver, but also a recreational vehicle. I don't see myself doing any real hard-core off-roading or rock crawling, but I do live in northwest Montana, hunt, and like to explore areas of the backcountry, occasionally camp in remote areas, that sort of thing. I'd doubt that I'll lift it. I would like some better steel bumpers eventually, would consider a winch although wonder whether I'd ever be likely to use it, maybe add a few bits of armor, possibly some sort of rack.

I have always loved Jeeps and bought my first Wrangler in Y2K. It was my only car for about 8 years, and I sold in in '08 to buy a pickup which I needed. I liked the Wrangler, but it was the 2-door variety and there were times where it was not the best for an only vehicle. The 4-door suits my needs better, and I have a truck, so this one should fit into my lifestyle a lot better.

I'm pretty excited about it and looking forward to learning more.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:12 AM   #2075
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,976
The first big rutted rocky hill you encounter one of two things will happen. You will think this offroad stuff is crazy and never do it again or surfin' the 'net when you get home for lifts,tires and lockers. Good luck. I never intended to lift the Jeep let alone do some of the stuff I've done with it.

But there we are.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:30 AM   #2076
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
The first big rutted rocky hill you encounter one of two things will happen. You will think this offroad stuff is crazy and never do it again or surfin' the 'net when you get home for lifts,tires and lockers. Good luck. I never intended to lift the Jeep let alone do some of the stuff I've done with it.
I'm sure you're right, although I did drive a Wrangler for 8 years and got into a few situations like that. It handled them very well. The new Rubicon is pretty well-equipped, has lockers and decent sized tires, and that's a good part of why I bought it. I'm not much of a wrench and wanted it to be as capable as I could get, stock. But I'm open-minded and sure you're right, that I'll be wanting to tweak and mod it now and then!

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:39 AM   #2077
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,144
Here is a pic of my XJ that was on 33's and 6.5" of lift. Now on 30.95s's and a OME 2" lift plus a wee bit more. OME worth every penney.

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:06 PM   #2078
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
I see that this thread has been quiet for a while, thought I'd contribute a little bit. I got a new Jeep a couple of days ago! I'm pretty excited about it. It is a 2013 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. Here are a few pics taken the day I bought it in front of the dealership. I think I got a decent deal as they had a number on the lot, although not many with the features I wanted. Mainly I was looking for a 4-door Rubicon with a 6-speed manual, and most of the Wranglers there were automatics. Curious. I wonder what the percentage of new Wranglers sold have manuals versus autos? I was a little unsure about the color at first, have tended to be more 'conservative' in color selection, but like the interesting colors Jeep has been using in recent years, and this one, called Rock Lobster (which has been discontinued), is growing on me.

I will probably do a few mods. This will be my daily driver, but also a recreational vehicle. I don't see myself doing any real hard-core off-roading or rock crawling, but I do live in northwest Montana, hunt, and like to explore areas of the backcountry, occasionally camp in remote areas, that sort of thing. I'd doubt that I'll lift it. I would like some better steel bumpers eventually, would consider a winch although wonder whether I'd ever be likely to use it, maybe add a few bits of armor, possibly some sort of rack.
Congrats! If I was buying a Jeep today I'd be getting a Rubicon as well. They're very plush and I think really give you the best of both worlds experience. OK, they aren't as simple as an older Jeep but then again an older Jeep isn't as comfortable, And definitely not as capable out of the box.

I'm betting they sell a lot more automatics then manuals. Wranglers have gone mainstream. They aren't the niche vehicle they once were. Automatics have been out selling manuals across the board for a few years now.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #2079
Krang
Rides with hippies

Oddometer: 382
I spent a good amount of time hemhawing about getting a Jeep, FJC, XTerra.

Been an awesome decision thus far. Took a little work to get it to where I wanted it, but loving every minute with it so far. Much easier to take on some trails than the KLR would have been. I hope I can get a few more good runs in by the end of the year here in Colorado. Planning for a four day trip to Ouray in the beginning of next month.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:23 PM   #2080
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
Congrats! If I was buying a Jeep today I'd be getting a Rubicon as well. They're very plush and I think really give you the best of both worlds experience. OK, they aren't as simple as an older Jeep but then again an older Jeep isn't as comfortable, And definitely not as capable out of the box.

I'm betting they sell a lot more automatics then manuals. Wranglers have gone mainstream. They aren't the niche vehicle they once were. Automatics have been out selling manuals across the board for a few years now.
Thanks, yeah, it's quite a bit more plush than my W2K TJ......which, somewhat curiously at that time, had a three-speed automatic. At that time it wasn't that easy to find an automatic Wrangler. I happened to find mine on a dealer lot in a small town 60 miles south of here, and he'd discounted it quite a bit, guess he'd had it around for a while, and gave me a good deal even though I really didn't want an auto. It turned out to be a decent Jeep, however.

This time around I wanted the 6-speed manual. The dealer had a good dozen or more on his lot, but most were automatics. The red one happened to have the 6-speed, was a Rubicon, and an Unlimited, and that translated into a sale.

PS: Another thing I didn't like about the automatics is that it adds $1100 to the sticker!

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #2081
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,372
Like I aint got enough projects. Picked this up Friday and drove it 100 miles home. Already left me stranded 3 miles from town on a dirt road. Fuel pump went. 1948 Willy's CJ2A. 283 motor, Muncie 4 speed with overdrive, Dana 44 with air locker. That's the good. Nice paint but the tub is shot. Some one glassed the inside. Debating buying a new tub or just running as is. Needs a lot of TLC. The guy had all the work done and knew nothing about it. So a lot of hack work. The frame is good tho.

Save lives. Legalize lane sharing.

Cow eyes don't glow.
batoutoflahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #2082
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 4,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by batoutoflahonda View Post
Like I aint got enough projects. Picked this up Friday and drove it 100 miles home. Already left me stranded 3 miles from town on a dirt road. Fuel pump went. 1948 Willy's CJ2A. 283 motor, Muncie 4 speed with overdrive, Dana 44 with air locker. That's the good. Nice paint but the tub is shot. Some one glassed the inside. Debating buying a new tub or just running as is. Needs a lot of TLC. The guy had all the work done and knew nothing about it. So a lot of hack work. The frame is good tho.

Nice!!

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:13 PM   #2083
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
Thanks, yeah, it's quite a bit more plush than my W2K TJ......which, somewhat curiously at that time, had a three-speed automatic. At that time it wasn't that easy to find an automatic Wrangler. I happened to find mine on a dealer lot in a small town 60 miles south of here, and he'd discounted it quite a bit, guess he'd had it around for a while, and gave me a good deal even though I really didn't want an auto. It turned out to be a decent Jeep, however.

This time around I wanted the 6-speed manual. The dealer had a good dozen or more on his lot, but most were automatics. The red one happened to have the 6-speed, was a Rubicon, and an Unlimited, and that translated into a sale.

PS: Another thing I didn't like about the automatics is that it adds $1100 to the sticker!
Yeah that's why the 2.5L manual was so popular with beginner drivers when I was a kid.

Here's my Jeep today; Hoping to get it all buttoned up tomorrow.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:15 PM   #2084
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
... You will think this offroad stuff is crazy and never do it again or surfin' the 'net when you get home for lifts,tires and lockers. Good luck.
It's a Rubicon, already has lockers. It's a Rubicon, doesn't need a lift. It's a Rubicon, already has 32" mud tires.

I'll throw my $.03 as well. You'll love it. The hard top is quiet, the heater and heated seats work well. The GPS is convenient- not perfect but convenient. And the economy with the 6 speed will blow you away- I can't believe it (and it won't last) but am on 22 mpg on this tank thus far.

Now, after I gave anertherguy a hard time about the lift, I actually have a very mild spring lift in mine to compensate for the winch on the front, and all the armor I put on underneath. I still run the stock tire size and have no intention of getting any larger, DESPITE running it's namesake. We also tow a Fleetwood Evolution 1 with ours and since I wired it for trailer brakes, I think the thing is perfect.

If I could get Jeffy's pansy butt in motion, perhaps we'd hit it this year.

Last family run up Signal Peak:

And the winch even was used to extract a poor 800GS rider who wasn't too great in the sand.

Oh yeah, don't get a roof rack. You'll hate it. I'm SOOOOOO glad we didn't get a nice one and Frankensteined what's on there from existing parts as even that killed economy and the noise and it will pull the Jeep all over creation.

longtallsally screwed with this post 08-11-2013 at 09:26 PM
longtallsally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:22 PM   #2085
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
It's a Rubicon, already has lockers. It's a Rubicon, doesn't need a lift. It's a Rubicon, already has 32" mud tires.

I'll throw my $.03 as well. You'll love it. The hard top is quiet, the heater and heated seats work well. The GPS is convenient- not perfect but convenient. And the economy with the 6 speed will blow you away- I can't believe it (and it won't last) but am on 22 mpg on this tank thus far.

Now, after I gave anertherguy a hard time about the lift, I actually have a very mild spring lift in mine to compensate for the winch on the front, and all the armor I put on underneath. I still run the stock tire size and have no intention of getting any larger, DESPITE running it's namesake. We also tow a Fleetwood Evolution 1 with ours and since I wired it for trailer brakes, I think the thing is perfect.

If I could get Jeffy's pansy butt in motion, perhaps we'd hit it this year.

Talk about kick a guy when he's down. I've got a 300 mile road trip I'm planning on doing with the Jeep next month. Sad thing is there's no wheeling but it will be a good test to see if it's still ready for longer trip.

I'm still waiting on parts so I can recharge my A/C as well. I get about a month's worth of A/C before it leaks out. I replaced all of the hoses but the place I ordered from screwed up the order 3 times now.

Not sure if I'll be able to go this year. Possibly next though. I'd also like to do Sierra Trek one of these days.

Jeffy screwed with this post 08-11-2013 at 09:48 PM
Jeffy is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: