User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2013, 01:38 AM   #46
gwfer
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Crash Feedback

I got this lid about 2 weeks ago, having read this thread from start to finish, I can agree with just about everything stated thus far, including the comments abouts fcmoto. Suffice to say I am very happy with the helmet and indebted to your reviews & subsequent comments.

I do have one bit of info to add that I feel duty bound to pass on to you, as u have given your time so freely in providing such useful information to me.

3 nights ago I was coming home from work when a twat headed car driver turned across my path without warning, I caught the front corner of his car with my knee and launched off the bike landing, as much as I can remember, on my right shoulder, giving my head a bit of a knock in the process. I was doing approx 55kph (or 30mph in your money) at time of impact, so could've been a lot worse & all things considered both myself and the bike escaped pretty well.

The interesting thing is that I took the internal liner of the helmet out yesterday to check for damage and discovered that the internal polystyrene structure is completely broken right across the width of the helmet behind the cavity for the internal sun visor.

I have mixed emotions, on one hand I feel like I dodged a bullet, did I take a bigger hit than I realized, and this thing saved my life? Or, are these helmets compromised by the internal sun visor, and had I or any of you taken a big hit it just won't cut it when the chips are down.

In the short period I had this helmet I was really enjoying it, I had planned to buy another one when twat head's insurance pays out, but now I am unsure. Perhaps this sheds some light on why Nolan xlite haven't got this model DOT approved?

Food for thought for us all. I welcome your comments

Keep adventuring.
gwfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:18 AM   #47
LoneStar OP
WhoopDeDoofus

Oddometer: 1,205
Wow gwfr glad you didn't get hurt badly!
Any chance you've got pics of the cracked liner? - would be good to see if you do.

It sounds like the helmet did it's job, since they are designed as one-shot devices. It's very interesting that it sheared where the internal visor is - mine isn't at hand so I can't look at it, but is there a recess for it? If so and it sheared along that line it would make sense... but we need pics man!

Can't speak to the reasons Nolan doesn't seek DOT certification (probably financial) but when I researched the DOT vs ECE rating before purchase, I found that ECE rating is actually considered a more up-to-date and somewhat superior rating than DOT. Google ECE vs DOT rating and there are several good articles on the subject. Nolan helmets carry the ECE R22-05 rating which is what made me feel comfortable going with one, as well as their established reputation. A lot of folks are buying the inexpensive off-brand DS helmets here, and though they may be fine, I just preferred an established and well known manufacturer.

Would be great if you have any pics of the interior and exterior to share with everyone

And sorry to hear you have twats in NZ too but glad you're ok man
LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:32 AM   #48
gwfer
n00b

Oddometer: 2
just taken some pics for the insurance claim and am eager to share, but I 'll be damned if it isn't hard to post pics on this site, I looked at this:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=919

do we really have to go through all this resizing malarky? tips appreciated

and now my knee has started throbbing! am sure i will work it out when i have more time, but there is a bottle of red open and a roaring fire going. I therefore assume you can wait til the weekend!

cheers

gwfer
gwfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:35 AM   #49
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwfer View Post
just taken some pics for the insurance claim and am eager to share, but I 'll be damned if it isn't hard to post pics on this site, I looked at this:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=919

do we really have to go through all this resizing malarky? tips appreciated

and now my knee has started throbbing! am sure i will work it out when i have more time, but there is a bottle of red open and a roaring fire going. I therefore assume you can wait til the weekend!

cheers

gwfer
Upload your photos to a 2nd party hosting service (your own server, Smugmug, Flikr, Photobucket...) and link to them from there. I prefer Smugmug - its run by the same guy that owns this site, but any of the free services will do.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:47 PM   #50
pingvin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Quote:
I have mixed emotions, on one hand I feel like I dodged a bullet, did I take a bigger hit than I realized, and this thing saved my life? Or, are these helmets compromised by the internal sun visor, and had I or any of you taken a big hit it just won't cut it when the chips are down.
Understand your mixed emotions. Actually the cracking process takes out a lot og energy which is good, less energy for your head to take. But what if hit was even harder, would the polystyrene be to weak? Or is it perfectly tuned so any hit harder than you took would be to much anyway?

Glad you are ok though!
1981 Husqvarna 420 AE
pingvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:59 PM   #51
pingvin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by pingvin View Post
Used the X-551 this year. Had several Schuberths S1 and R1 and no way I'm having a helmet without integrated sun visor for touring. After killing my last R1 (saved my head in a high sider), I gave the X-551 a try. But not 100% happy:

1. Sun visor not as good as Schuberth (might be other options than stock that's better). Not talking about mechanism but Schubreth was at least as dark but still clearer (if that made sense).
2. Not as quiet as Schuberth, which i didn't expect either so not a big thing (Schuberth is VERY quiet)
3. My nose touches the helmet. Combination small head/big nose...but it's not THAT big. Very annoying, might try cutting out some material. Not much, actually takes a little bit of wind pressure before touches, still annoying.
4. Fits OK but still gives me a head ache. Might not be an issue for others, guess a pressure thing?

Good:
1. Cool design, works for any bike
2. Though not as good as Schuberth, the sun visor is still a nice feature
3. Even at higher speeds (say 130kph), you don't really notice the beak, nice job on aerodynamics

So all in all not that happy, but my main issues may not be a problem for others.
Just finished a 3 day trip in Norway passing several mountains at low temps (close to freezing at times). What I really noticed was that even with all vents closed it's pretty drafty and that was what gives me the headache so not a pressure issue. Solved by pulling buff over my head. (Should add draft always give me head ache, AC is terrible).

So solved worst problem for me but still not super happy. Suomy have new helmet with similar concept, might give it a try http://www.suomy.com/en/products/mx-...ajaxnavigation

1981 Husqvarna 420 AE
pingvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:49 PM   #52
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,588
I actually spoke to a Nolan rep about this. He is not a factory guy but just the retail rep on the East coast. He said Nolan is just gun shy about selling non-flip up helmets in the US. He said they don't think American's will buy a Nolan that is not a flip-up. I told him they should really consider the DS market and he said he would relay that back to Italy but I'm not holding my breath.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #53
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
I actually spoke to a Nolan rep about this. He is not a factory guy but just the retail rep on the East coast. He said Nolan is just gun shy about selling non-flip up helmets in the US. He said they don't think American's will buy a Nolan that is not a flip-up. I told him they should really consider the DS market and he said he would relay that back to Italy but I'm not holding my breath.
A DOT 551? I'll take two, please.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:01 AM   #54
LoneStar OP
WhoopDeDoofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Error View Post
A DOT 551? I'll take two, please.
Ditto! That's 4 sold so far
Old 07-31-2013, 06:07 AM   #55
LoneStar OP
WhoopDeDoofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingvin View Post
Just finished a 3 day trip in Norway passing several mountains at low temps (close to freezing at times). What I really noticed was that even with all vents closed it's pretty drafty and that was what gives me the headache so not a pressure issue. Solved by pulling buff over my head. (Should add draft always give me head ache, AC is terrible).

So solved worst problem for me but still not super happy. Suomy have new helmet with similar concept, might give it a try http://www.suomy.com/en/products/mx-...ajaxnavigation

If you get one of those new Suomy's keep us posted. Good looking helmets. Maybe you should move to Texas Pingvin - no shortage of hot air here so headaches shouldn't be an issue

My only negative is the lack of ventilation and airflow on mine, but again that's based on the usual heat here. I have noticed in cooler temps there is more airflow under the chin and neck area, which I solved with a Buff as well.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:06 PM   #56
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,516
Quote:
The interesting thing is that I took the internal liner of the helmet out yesterday to check for damage and discovered that the internal polystyrene structure is completely broken right across the width of the helmet behind the cavity for the internal sun visor.

I don't know, seems like it did it's job. I crashed in a high end Arai a few years back. Helmet looked virtually unmarked, but on closer inspection I found the liner had actually rotated in the shell. No cracks but this was one way it absorbed the energy. I'm still here and can remember my name (most days), so figured it served it's purpose.
JTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:36 PM   #57
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStar View Post
If you get one of those new Suomy's keep us posted. Good looking helmets. Maybe you should move to Texas Pingvin - no shortage of hot air here so headaches shouldn't be an issue

My only negative is the lack of ventilation and airflow on mine, but again that's based on the usual heat here. I have noticed in cooler temps there is more airflow under the chin and neck area, which I solved with a Buff as well.
Interesting.

The Northeast US is roughly halfway between Norway and Texas in Latitude, and I think the 551 is very near perfect as far as venting goes. Its warm on hot days (but so is every helmet) and its cold on freezing days (again, so is every helmet). I just came back from a trip where I took a ride up the Mt Washington Auto road, it was 87 (30.5c) at the base and 39 (3.8c) at the top. I simply closed the vents and visor as it got cooler and opened them back up when I was heading down.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:03 AM   #58
wiz.au
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Joined the club

Love it....awesome.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~grsmith/dakar/x551/

I got royally stuffed around by FC-Moto for over two weeks (in stock my arse!)...went with Motostorm (Italy). In stock, shipped fast, and EUR11 cheaper than FC-Moto.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:51 AM   #59
LoneStar OP
WhoopDeDoofus

I like that color scheme - how do you like the radio/comm system?
Old 09-25-2013, 08:17 AM   #60
RomaDakota
Yes Scotland!

Oddometer: 1,348
My comm/radio system when tango uniform after riding in rain for two straight days this summer. I did some troubleshooting prior to my last trip a few weeks back.
Battery fine. Battery takes and holds change. Connections to module are confirmed. Wires ohm-out. I am guessing the module is fried. I was able to pop off the cover of the module too easily; no way could it be water-resistant.
Although the module is buried in the helmet, a good total soak probably killed it. Not too happy about the situation.