Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2013, 07:14 PM   #91
The Killstar
Ted Simon Acolyte

Oddometer: 293
HEY a new Bonneville thread for me to post pics of my touring machine!

"Absolutely! If we didn't like visually beautiful bikes we'd all ride V-Stroms or something." - Av8rPaul
The Killstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:43 AM   #92
none
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
I find my Bonnie quite entertaining....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VICMCWQFkg
none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:21 PM   #93
coneye
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
I've never owned or ridden sports bikes , always owned big cruisers , 18 months ago bought a t 100 for sundays in the hills at the back of me , and loved it , i found i could'nt actually go any faster on the bonnie than what i could on its big brother the rocket , But it was easier , less weight and just felt faster , which made it more fun ,

But i never did like the look of it and sick of riding the same roads , i just got rid of the bonnie and bought the v strom , so i could have a look up the many dirt roads ,, what has been a BIG BONUS , is i find the v strom for me anyway handles the twisties better than the bonnie .

I can go a lot faster on the strom around the hills near my house than the rocket or the bonnie , one paticular route i tajke often i could'nt shave time between the rocket and bonnie , i'm like 5-10 minuites quicker depending if i get stuck behind farmer jones on the v strom not a lot but thats only over 50 klm
coneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:50 PM   #94
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by coneye View Post
>snip< i found i could'nt actually go any faster on the bonnie than what i could on its big brother the rocket , But it was easier , less weight and just felt faster , which made it more fun ,

>snip<

I can go a lot faster on the strom around the hills near my house than the rocket or the bonnie , one paticular route i tajke often i could'nt shave time between the rocket and bonnie , i'm like 5-10 minuites quicker depending if i get stuck behind farmer jones on the v strom not a lot but thats only over 50 klm
That's sorta what I was talking about earlier (post #4 on page 1 of this thread)... Everyone's different of course, but nowadays, I just don't care about how "fast" I am, or my "times" on a route. I don't ride on a racetrack, and I'm not competing with anyone, not even myself. I ride strictly for the FUN of it. It's all about the sensations that I enjoy. I still have faster bikes in my garage, but I don't find that I really enjoy them any more than my Sportster. Don't get me wrong though. I still enjoy a spirited pace on a nice curvy road, and I still ride my Sportster with the same zeal that I rode/ride anything else. My overall, over the road, speeds may be lower, but in the real world, with deer, cops, etc, that's not necessarily a bad thing as long as I'm still having just as much fun. The old adage about riding a slow bike fast, rather than a fast bike slow, comes to mind. And for me at least seems to be true to a great extent.

Of course everyone has to find their own place in this balance of speed vs. fun so, YMMV.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:06 PM   #95
coneye
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Speeding to go fast is not sometrhing i do , i rarely speed , not in this revenue raising state, where cameras are behind every second bush .

But you can have fun on tweistie roads within the speed limits , the bend that was posted 45 klm on the rocket or bonnie , i may of took comfortably at 65 , with the strom i'm comfortable at 85 , the 55 klm bend may well of been 80 kl on the triumphs , on the strom its the speed limit of 100 , all riding within the speed limits and within my limits .

All equals good fun
coneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:13 PM   #96
Jtourismo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
I really like the ethos of this thread, and have been captured by the bonnie lure after my buddy built a hardtail earlier this summer from a basket case bike. Up until this point I have definitely been making sure my next bike was always faster than the last.
After dealing with the cost of insurance and maybe getting a tolerance to speed, the classic twins keep looking better and better.
Jtourismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:46 PM   #97
Av8rPaul OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Thanks for keeping this thread going and all the good conversation. I've been in process on which bike next, and have decided firmly on one certain model only to change my mind. Fortunately I changed employers during this time so I had plently to keep me busy while I was bikeless.

I'm heading to the Triumph dealer Tuesday for a test ride....stay tuned.
IBA #33
KTM 950 Adventure, Buell 1125R, Ducati ST4S, BMW R100/7 (x2), Triumph T140E, Suzuki GS1100G, Yamaha SR500, Honda CB750K, and a bunch of dirt bikes...
Av8rPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:14 PM   #98
motorat
TBD

Oddometer: 886

went out looking for itersting things to take pictures of.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:36 PM   #99
IRideASlowBike
Banned

Oddometer: 1,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Killstar View Post
HEY a new Bonneville thread for me to post pics of my touring machine!

Nice! What panniers are those? Tell us about your luggage setup.
IRideASlowBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #100
The Killstar
Ted Simon Acolyte

Oddometer: 293
Thanks. They used to be made by Moto Sport Panniers, though they are out of the hard luggage game. How do I know this? Because I had to contact them for a replacement after my poor girl was T-boned on the way home from work Friday.
"Absolutely! If we didn't like visually beautiful bikes we'd all ride V-Stroms or something." - Av8rPaul
The Killstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:25 PM   #101
Av8rPaul OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
How sad!!!
IBA #33
KTM 950 Adventure, Buell 1125R, Ducati ST4S, BMW R100/7 (x2), Triumph T140E, Suzuki GS1100G, Yamaha SR500, Honda CB750K, and a bunch of dirt bikes...
Av8rPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #102
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Oddometer: 1,954
I bought my Bonnie after my Ducati ST3 was deerstroyed. My Duc and then the Bonnie were my secondary bikes to my 1150GS. Then I found myself riding the Bonnie more for just the joy of riding and not just to travel somewhere which was the GS's forte. This year I sold my GS and now my T100 is my main ride, though I am also having fun on my Vespa.

Rick G

[IMG][/IMG]
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:27 PM   #103
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,370
I have never had a sport bike, lots of bikes, but no sport bike.
I would likely be dead if I had got one.

Old Triumphs, Harleys, dual sports, crappy old smaller street bikes, and a 2005 Bonneville black.

A solid bike, but nothing like the old ones.
I was riding an old 69 Daytona at the time (for 5 years and 45,000 miles) and thought the new big Bonneville would be just the ticket for longer rides interstate included.
It was overweight, wobbled a bit in high speed turns, sounded lame, had a hard thin seat and poor suspension, it did not handle the weight of me and my wife, and we are not fat. No big deal, most new bikes are like that.
But I found the bike dull, quiet (even with the TOR silencers), not very powerful (even after the dynojet kit), smooth and trouble free, and having plenty of power on the interstate was nice, but then boring.

I take an all day ride to the Pocono's a few times every year, for the last 30 years or so, and there are two ways to start, the interstate, or the back roads, and having this nice big bike, I took the interstate to the start of the really good roads. It seemed like a waste of time afterwords.
Not much fun, at least on the new Bonneville.
When I was young, I did a lot of interstate riding, but there was much less police on the roads, and much smaller fines.

So I sold the Bonneville.
After various other bikes (DR650 and a new 1200 Sportster), I got a TU250.
It IS fun on the interstate as you have to ride balls to the wall like an all out road race most times, yet you don't get tickets (yet).

Its light, but very stable, its nimble, but it does not get blown around for such a small bike.
And now I take the interstate when I want some road race rush, tucking in, drafting, wide open throttle at 85 mph, planning passes.
What a hoot!

This small bike is so much fun that I ride the same roads, every chance I get, even if its only for a half hour, its like having a road race track complete with other racers in your back yard.

When I was young, I had bigger bikes, and was quite a squid, lost my licence many times and always had lots of points, always enjoyed pushing the limits on twisty roads and racing everything at any time.

And I still do, I just do it on my little TU250 now...

I can not imagine having a sport bike around here. I would want to loft the front wheel on the interstate, find the top speed of the bike, and do all the other squid like things, at least some times, and would end up in jail or dead very quickly.
It would be very dull without doing that sort of thing...
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #104
bdonley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post
I bought my Bonnie after my Ducati ST3 was deerstroyed. My Duc and then the Bonnie were my secondary bikes to my 1150GS. Then I found myself riding the Bonnie more for just the joy of riding and not just to travel somewhere which was the GS's forte. This year I sold my GS and now my T100 is my main ride, though I am also having fun on my Vespa.

Rick G

[IMG][/IMG]
Nicely set up bike. I like it alot!
bdonley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:01 PM   #105
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 5,004
Bonnevilles, Thruxtons, Scramblers, any Harley, most Guzzis, W650, GB500, XS650s, SR500s, and many other such bikes are a ton of fun to ride. They involve you in the ride. All a sport bike does is go fast, and hurt like hell. That gets old in a hurry (unless you are a roadracer) I have owned 3 quasi sport bikes, 2 Ninja 500s and a Ninja 250. All sold and not missed. I just don't get it.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote