User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2013, 07:05 PM   #1
xxguitarist OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
BMW Telelever, duolever, etc front end feel on street

Hoping for some input on how the Telelever & Duolever feel on the street, riding at a spirited pace.
I'll get out for a test ride in a bit if I decide to go that way, but looking for some impressions in the meantime.
I've sat on a friends (r1150r) & pumped the front end as you would on a conventional sportbike- very odd feeling. Quite odd foot placement on that particular model too.

Does it loose any ground feel?
Harder to tell how much front brake is OK?
Odd when laid over? Or when hitting bumps under heavy braking effort?

Thanks!
xxguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:20 PM   #2
Hoodcounty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
My bike has the tele lever/para lever combo. Control is amazing, tactile road feel, none of the loose feel you might expect when looking at the odd set up. Cool thing is you can brake into corners a bit farther as the bike does not dive, but squats front/rear; the steering angle doesn't change and as such is really stable.
Hoodcounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:31 PM   #3
elementalg20
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
I didn't feel mine had the best road feel, always felt like I was putting blind trust into it. That said, braking was very good, braking in corners felt like it upset the chassis less than a conventional front end as well. Neither of mine was "lazer" quick to turn in, but they are also sport touring machines and not zx6r's I had no complaints with the front end overall it's a good package for my .02 cents.

Now if only I liked the rest of the bmw package as well as the front.....

Still something about them....keep dreaming about a k1300gt or a k1600gt lately. Luckily it's a dream and nothing I can swing for a while.

Gone...1998 Triumph Trophy 1200 2000 KTM Adventure 640, 1994 BMW R1100RS, 2002 BMW K1200RS,1999 VFR800, 1996 VFR750, 1985 Maxim X, 198x 250LTD
elementalg20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:39 PM   #4
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,535
Telelever provides excellent dynamic behavior to the expense of road feel...there is simply none.
A bike with telelever is in a way 'half a car', with all the pros and cons. Stability is exemplary.
Duolever is an improvement in the feel department, but still quite far from the traditional fork design.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:12 AM   #5
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,616
I've wondered the same thing. Since it (sounds like anyway) impacts the feel of the bike more than anything, it's probably something you have to experience for yourself. The systems sure look odd though.
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:31 AM   #6
wario
good bike cleaner...

Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxguitarist View Post
Hoping for some input on how the Telelever & Duolever feel on the street, riding at a spirited pace.
I'll get out for a test ride in a bit if I decide to go that way, but looking for some impressions in the meantime.
I've sat on a friends (r1150r) & pumped the front end as you would on a conventional sportbike- very odd feeling. Quite odd foot placement on that particular model too.

Does it loose any ground feel?
Harder to tell how much front brake is OK?
Odd when laid over? Or when hitting bumps under heavy braking effort?

Thanks!
I feel this is like asking some to describe how sex feels... and, the only way for you to really know is to feel it for yourself.

Is it different in gravel or braking relative to sliders? - sure. Is it better or worse? Your call. I could easily see how this could turn into an "oil" thread because experiences vary so much and so strongly. I have owned 2 BM'rs with "levers" and really enjoyed them both - but neither of my current rides have roundels. I enjoyed the "planted" feel but experienced no "holy moments" that convinced me that levers were infinitely better (or worse) than conventional suspension.

Expand you're experience pool and go to a dealer to ride some. Just treat them nice and clean them up before you return them.

"Our founding fathers would be shooting by now..."
wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:55 AM   #7
eric2
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,441
I've done some miles with the duo and tele, and their sibling para brothers. Mentioned lack of feel is true because the tele brother does an excellent job of isolating the suspemsion. The duo lever felt odd at times around town, like I was steering with a rudder.

I think both are superior to conventional forks at the expense of weight and feel but never had an issue with the telelever. Its never caused me to think about it.
Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:39 PM   #8
OneTraveller
Social Reject

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric2 View Post
I think both are superior to conventional forks at the expense of weight and feel but never had an issue with the telelever. Its never caused me to think about it.
I don't think they are superior, just different. It will really depend on what you are riding now, and how hard you really intend to push it. If you are coming off a clapped out 1972 CB 750, the tele/para will feel great. Compared to my Ducati with the the Skyhook semi-active suspension, I'll keep the Italian job.

I never had an issue with my 1150RT, but there is a reason that BMW puts traditional style forks on the HP2, HP4, and the S1000RR.

Mike
To paraphrase Antoine de St-Exupery
I ride because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things.
OneTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:49 PM   #9
xxguitarist OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTraveller View Post
I don't think they are superior, just different. It will really depend on what you are riding now, and how hard you really intend to push it. If you are coming off a clapped out 1972 CB 750, the tele/para will feel great. Compared to my Ducati with the the Skyhook semi-active suspension, I'll keep the Italian job.

I never had an issue with my 1150RT, but there is a reason that BMW puts traditional style forks on the HP2, HP4, and the S1000RR.

Mike
I'm coming off an electric bike (Brammo Empulse R), closest gas equivalent would be a Monster. It has adjustable Marzocchi forks, relatively stiffly sprung.
I ride what I consider medium aggressive. Canyon runs definitely put texture into the tires, but leave a 1/4" chicken strip. I do hang off, and believe I generally have pretty good mechanics. Braking effort if riding aggressively may get the rear end light.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:16 PM   #10
OneTraveller
Social Reject

Oddometer: 121
Here's an interesting comparison of a r1150r Rockster and a Monster.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341026

Mike
To paraphrase Antoine de St-Exupery
I ride because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things.
OneTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:24 PM   #11
xxguitarist OP
Adventurer

Thanks, One.
Wish that reviewer had gone in the other direction!