Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 263 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 04:01 PM   #3451
MeanMoe
one really mean cat

Oddometer: 2,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddedHat View Post
If you are speaking friend as in a single traveler, it may be time for your buddy to light his load a bit. We have spent several summers doing the loop from the east coast to AK and back. On this last trip we met several couples full timing in this size of sprinter based Motorhome. These were strictly the N.A based folks I'm referring to. When it comes to the euro crowd of Mann, Hyder, and other brands, the vast majority of RTW rigs we saw were not even that big.

I like the concept that you don't own stuff, it owns you.
Yes, we talked quite a bit about the down sizing as it will be her (67 y o female) and her 40# dog.

She's got some physical limitations that add to the mix but I see the Sprinter based units as being something she could handle. Unlike the Chevy and Ford based Class C units, the Sprinter based RV has room for one to sit and pivot into the drivers seat. She doesn't have the mobility to step over the center console to get into seat of the Chevy and Ford units that I've seen. She would have to exit thru the drivers door and walk around to the coach door. Not what she wants to do.

She's spent her professional life working non-stop and now she wants to retire and see the sights in North America. I hope she can get her ego out of the decision and store or give away her stuff so she can travel.

MeanMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:48 AM   #3452
KHJPHOTO
Old Man and the Road

Oddometer: 643
 photo Moby_zps6aa5dca7.jpg

63,000 miles. Longest stay was 4 + months. Could "full time" But can't devote the time.
Size? You only sleep in it.
If you don't get out of the RV - What's the point of going?!
IBA #27356
BMW Mileage Award 300,000 and adding to it

www.khjphotography.com
KHJPHOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:44 AM   #3453
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHJPHOTO View Post
Size? You only sleep in it.
If you don't get out of the RV - What's the point of going?!
Exactly! I always say a camper is like a hotel room in Paris. And you don't go to Paris to sit around in your hotel room.

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
'07 KLX250s
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:58 AM   #3454
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
Exactly! I always say a camper is like a hotel room in Paris. And you don't go to Paris to sit around in your hotel room.
I'll be the contrarian. I've got a 5th wheel and there have been times when my wife and I stayed in the trailer almost the entire weekend and still had a good time. More than once we've pulled into our favorite state park early in the year on to have the temperatures stay low enough that it snowed lightly, but was cold. Inside of hiking we kicked back and read books. No phones, no tv, no internet, just peace and quiet.
McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:38 AM   #3455
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNeal View Post
I'll be the contrarian. I've got a 5th wheel and there have been times when my wife and I stayed in the trailer almost the entire weekend and still had a good time. More than once we've pulled into our favorite state park early in the year on to have the temperatures stay low enough that it snowed lightly, but was cold. Inside of hiking we kicked back and read books. No phones, no tv, no internet, just peace and quiet.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:46 AM   #3456
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,085
Quote:
Hey, I thought I was being the contrarian!

JK, that's why RVing is great. Totally up to you how you do it.

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
'07 KLX250s
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:56 AM   #3457
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,353
Quote:
Agree with this... If you are out enough, you run into bad weather and kicking it and watching a movie or reading a book is still better than being at work
KSJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:14 PM   #3458
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSJEEPER View Post
Agree with this... If you are out enough, you run into bad weather and kicking it and watching a movie or reading a book is still better than being at work

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:55 PM   #3459
Da Bear
Twisted toy maker

Oddometer: 1,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSJEEPER View Post

Even better in this.

Leave everything to Chance.....
Da Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:48 PM   #3460
PaddedHat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanMoe View Post
Yes, we talked quite a bit about the down sizing as it will be her (67 y o female) and her 40# dog.

She's got some physical limitations that add to the mix but I see the Sprinter based units as being something she could handle. Unlike the Chevy and Ford based Class C units, the Sprinter based RV has room for one to sit and pivot into the drivers seat. She doesn't have the mobility to step over the center console to get into seat of the Chevy and Ford units that I've seen. She would have to exit thru the drivers door and walk around to the coach door. Not what she wants to do.

She's spent her professional life working non-stop and now she wants to retire and see the sights in North America. I hope she can get her ego out of the decision and store or give away her stuff so she can travel.
Totally understand the limitations issue. The wife was felled by a nearly fatal stroke many years ago, still fully paralyzed on left side. Since then we have been through two pop-ups, five travel trailers and now have a 33' diesel pusher. Accessibility and RVing are not mutually exclusive, but it's a difficult and occasionally expensive hurdle to jump. You're right, as a van owner I wouldn't want a class C based on one. Tough to "launch" my sweetie into the passenger seat from the ground, and trying to enter and exit the seat from inside a Class C proved to be impossible. (we rented one for a test run, didn't go well at all) the big issue I have with the sprinter sized rigs is the lack of a large permanent bed in many (most?). We have no use for an overhead bunk, and most foldable dinette, or sofa contraptions end up providing a totally horrendous sleeping experience. Hope she finds something that has the least number of compromises. This last line is something that my wife spends a lot of time struggling with, mentally. It seems that the best quality of life for her is to find the path with the least number of obstacles in it. Shopping for RVs in no different. There is nothing, short of a horrendously expensive custom rig, that will fill 99% of her needs. The shopping trip then becomes a hunt to find the rig with the least number of obstructions and the best, lowest stress experience for her. Good luck, in all seriousness it's a can be a tough hunt. Best of luck to her and thumbs up to you for helping.
PaddedHat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:40 PM   #3461
nwgs OP
solarfied

Oddometer: 32,641
Quote:

I like your style.

The List
nwgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:08 PM   #3462
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
I've been out of motorhomes for a while. My mom, dad and I used to travel in motorhomes and lived in one for a year after moving to California. I love motorhomes, but this is when gas was 1.25 a gallon. We ran 70s and 80s motorhomes.. 8-10mpg class C types, etc.

I prefer tent camping by motorcycle now, but I think down the road I could dig having a motorhome with a dual sport. So my question to you experts is this:

What is the best mpg motorhome that is capable of towing 2 motorcycles (think 2 dr650s as heaviest, possibly a couple drz's or ktms as lightest)? I don't need big- small fridge, gas stove, generator (optional), bed, bath/shit room.. I'm open to diesel and I suppose the 4 banger Toyota jobbers, though I doubt the latter could handle the bikes.

What kind of mpg might this setup get? Id like to keep the bikes on the rv as opposed to pulling a rolling trailer (kills mpgs, pita to park, etc). Maybe a beefy hitch trailer or front mount?

What I'm asking for might be ridiculous, but I'm old school with RVs despite being young. I don't know what these puppies are capable of now.. any ideas?
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:16 AM   #3463
MeanMoe
one really mean cat

Oddometer: 2,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
I've been out of motorhomes for a while. My mom, dad and I used to travel in motorhomes and lived in one for a year after moving to California. I love motorhomes, but this is when gas was 1.25 a gallon. We ran 70s and 80s motorhomes.. 8-10mpg class C types, etc.

I prefer tent camping by motorcycle now, but I think down the road I could dig having a motorhome with a dual sport. So my question to you experts is this:

What is the best mpg motorhome that is capable of towing 2 motorcycles (think 2 dr650s as heaviest, possibly a couple drz's or ktms as lightest)? I don't need big- small fridge, gas stove, generator (optional), bed, bath/shit room.. I'm open to diesel and I suppose the 4 banger Toyota jobbers, though I doubt the latter could handle the bikes.

What kind of mpg might this setup get? Id like to keep the bikes on the rv as opposed to pulling a rolling trailer (kills mpgs, pita to park, etc). Maybe a beefy hitch trailer or front mount?

What I'm asking for might be ridiculous, but I'm old school with RVs despite being young. I don't know what these puppies are capable of now.. any ideas?
Our Class A pusher averages 7.5 mpg. Our old Class A Ford 6.4 L averaged 8.0. It's been 15 years since I've been on the road in a Class C but I wouldn't expect more than the 8-10 that you've seen before. The most promising is the Sprinter based chassis. Reports are 16-18 mpg but I'd expect the lower of the range.

The Sprinter based chassis shows about 4k pounds of gross carrying capacity but I've never put one on the scales to say how far off this is. Add fluids, people and stuff and you might have the 700# for the bikes. Just don't know about the hitches. HTH

MeanMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:01 AM   #3464
KHJPHOTO
Old Man and the Road

Oddometer: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post

photo IMG_0588.jpg

17-19 MPG towing - 22 MPG without bike & trailer. Unlike Class A's or C's
can go anywhere. Use the unit as a base camp and go out from there. Nice
to return daily or a few days to a real bed and a warm shower...or AC!
IBA #27356
BMW Mileage Award 300,000 and adding to it

www.khjphotography.com
KHJPHOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #3465
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,812
Damn nice set-up....on both the bike & the RV!!! ^^^

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread