Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 06:05 PM   #121
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,491
You are a blessed man. I'd ask how much for your wimmen, but I suppose they are unique and priceless. Good on you. If you find a keeper, keep her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post
We did stop at the Ural Dealer this afternoon and while we both like the idea of a Ural Gear Up, she's asked me to wait until next season before I pull the trigger. She figures that I'd be too unhappy selling the Vee and the F800 and not being able to lean.

She's a keeper.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #122
Trane Francks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 497
Quote:
She figures that I'd be too unhappy selling the Vee and the F800 and not being able to lean.
I'd say she gave you excellent advice.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #123
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGreenBooger View Post
He was wearing MX boots, full calf. The boot acted like a splint, most likely doing him a lot of good post injury. I shudder to think of how bad it would have been if he'd been wearing work boots...like I was. MX boots on order for me now.
I noticed his MX boots have nice deep vibram soles,I had a set like that long ago.

I planted my foot during an out of control TT500 jump,those sweet vibram treads locked on to the ground rather then slide like MX boot treads should.

Effectively the end of a healthy knee for life.

I wear Gaurne SG12's now,as close to ski boots as a guy can get and still walk somewhat.

Heal quick GS800 rider! 400+lb twin cylinder bikes are a lifesaver in the dirt!
Old 07-18-2013, 03:16 PM   #124
C-Stain OP
Banned

Oddometer: 5,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
I noticed his MX boots have nice deep vibram soles,I had a set like that long ago.

I planted my foot during an out of control TT500 jump,those sweet vibram treads locked on to the ground rather then slide like MX boot treads should.

Effectively the end of a healthy knee for life.

I wear Gaurne SG12's now,as close to ski boots as a guy can get and still walk somewhat.

Heal quick GS800 rider! 400+lb twin cylinder bikes are a lifesaver in the dirt!
What they were was a set of SIDI Adventure Rain boots. I'd done thousands of miles wearing them - and depending on how the repairs go, I may get a few thousand more...
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:44 PM   #125
2handedSpey
bunned

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
What they were was a set of SIDI Adventure Rain boots. I'd done thousands of miles wearing them - and depending on how the repairs go, I may get a few thousand more...
I had a very very similar crash. I cannot stress enough the importance of hinged full mx boots. I was wearing gaerne adventurer boots. Great for light duty, not dirt.
Since my crash last year, I went with the sidi crossfires. The sidi adv rain does not have nearly the amount of mx protection for my liking.

I had a full tibia, fibula, talus, trimalleolar sever subluxation. In other world, I fucked it up bad.

Ride safe. Heavy DS bikes fully loaded on the dirt have a tendency to flop on their sides... I wish I had a TW200 now

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=806626

Yikes...
2handedSpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:12 AM   #126
C-Stain OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2handedSpey View Post

Ride safe. Heavy DS bikes fully loaded on the dirt have a tendency to flop on their sides... I wish I had a TW200 now

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=806626

Yikes...
The TW200 is one of the bikes that I'm thinking of replacing the V-Strom with, that or a KLX250. And I'm shopping for new boots. The Sidi Crossfires are looking good right now.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:31 PM   #127
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,684
Glad your recovery is progressing well.

I've broken all kinds of bones but one bad one was breaking my heel in a fall years ago. They said I would forever have a limp but I sat in front of the TV watching the first gulf war and just kept flexing it over and over so it wouldn't freeze up. 6 months off work. The calf shrunk and took years to get back to the same size but walking is no problem now.

Yesterday I listed my Sidi Crossfires for sale in the Flea Market as I usually use my Disco's. After reading this I'm nuking my ad and selling the weaker boots

BTW, I picked up a used Dnepr sidecar and I'm going to run it on the GS for a while and see how I like it. Nothing to be embarrassed by.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:49 PM   #128
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,491
C-Stain, if you're looking for the spirit of adventure in a bike that's lightweight, I'd look at a KDX200. I'm outfitting one just now, which can be fully and legally plated in my state. I think there is a provision up there for a "blue plate" or something? Light as a feather, and with a stupid amount of power for a 200 cc machine. The suspension needs work, but otherwise it's a hoot. The range is limited to around 75 miles on the stock tank, and the fuel economy makes you wish for a V-8 pickup. You'll forget all that, though. They are a total gas. They have been called the best trail bike ever built.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)

Canuman screwed with this post 07-23-2013 at 08:15 AM
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:40 PM   #129
C-Stain OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
C-Stain, if you're looking for the spirit of adventure in a bike that's lightweight, I'd look at a KDX200. I'm outfitting one just now, which can be fully and legally plated in my state. I think there is a provision up there for a "blue plate" or something? Light as a feather, and with a stupid amount of power for a 200 cc machine. The suspension needs work, but otherwise it's a hoot. The range is limited to around 75 miles on the stock tank, and the fuel economy makes you wish for a V-8 pickup. You'll forget all that, though. They are a total gas. They have been called the best trail bike ever built.
Couldn't find a KDX200 - but I did pick myself up an 09 KLX250 today.

Tomorrow: Start ordering farkles!
Old 08-01-2013, 07:21 AM   #130
dresda
shut up and RIDE!

Oddometer: 930
What colour? I had one for a while, in red.

Sent via aldis lamp on Tapatalk
'....and I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen, incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant, poisoned, electric head. ' from My Pink Half of the Drainpipe by Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band.
dresda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:24 AM   #131
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 12,487
Quote:
Couldn't find a KDX200 - but I did pick myself up an 09 KLX250 today.

Tomorrow: Start applying stickers!

fixt
Whoever shows up next better bring ice. -Tom C
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:28 AM   #132
C-Stain OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
fixt
Suggestions?
Old 09-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #133
kelsow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,098
What's the latest?
Site: dualsport.ca and rideatlantic.ca
kelsow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:34 PM   #134
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,125
After my bad crash, I sold my DR650 (not a real heavy bike) and got a TW200.
I went places I never went before, on any bike, solo.
I never fell on that bike, a first for anything I ever dirt rode!
Its HARD to fall on a TW200!
Sand, mud, the TW loves that stuff.

You have to ditch the stock front tire though.
Not fast, but it sure is EASY to ride a TW anyplace.

Quote:
The TW200 is one of the bikes that I'm thinking of replacing the V-Strom with, that or a KLX250. And I'm shopping for new boots. The Sidi Crossfires are looking good right now.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #135
C-Stain OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsow View Post
What's the latest?
Hey!

Let's see -

Blue Cross told me I'm not eligible for Long Term Disability, my employer can't find me light duties and the checks stopped in August.

Other than that - Physiotherapist says I'm good to go when (and if) I get clearance from the surgeon at the end if the month. I have no pain these days and have not taken any meds in a out two months. I still deal with a bit of swelling, but some days it a depends on what socks I'm wearing that day.

Hitting the gym about three times a week - weights are ever increasing and I'm hoping to lose the rest of my limp.

Also started working part time at a local bike shop. They wanted to make use of my Business Analysis skills and I obliged. It's actually a lot of fun and I can get paid in farkles. . Hello Beemer Luggage!

I did get rid of my Vee. But picked up a KLX250S as a replacement. I've managed to put a 3 gal tank, some nice luggage racks and a set of Pro Taper Bars on. The Seat Concepts foam is ready to be installed any day. I've been doing some light local riding and only look like a partially epileptic retarded seal getting on and off.

I got my leg over the Beemer for the first time today since the get off. No issues and compared to the KLX it seems huge.

I had to promise Mrs Stain that I wouldn't do any more off road this season, and in the interest of family peace and healing have agreed. As a rider who discovered dirt after riding street and bit having grown up without a dirt bike, I know my skills are sorely lacking. I figure that's the reason why I fall over so much. . A local inmate who is a skilled rider with MX experience had offered to help me out best spring and help teach me some skills I don't have yet.

This summer has certainly been an experience - and one I don't dare repeat!