User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 259 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #4756
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,487
Well, I am admittedly a Spyderco junkie.

I flew to Santa Cruz for a two+ week stay. Could not see me way past not having a knife in my pocket, so on the first day, I paid a visit to the local Spydie purveyor.

This is what was in my pocket when I left:

Lightweight Manix2. Not a bad knife for the money. Is it as beefy as my Manix2 XL? Of course not, didn't expect it to be. But, it is a hell of a lot lighter.

Fancy steel (CTS BD1) and a ball-bearing lock.

Good stuff, for not a lotta dough.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:06 PM   #4757
Mezcalito
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Well, you must have driven back home from Santa Cruz or checked one piece of checked baggage home, if that was in your pocket when you left. Has Santa Cruz gotten so bad that a guy needs to be constantly armed with a little pocket knife now, or do you just need a daily knife for work purposes ? Looks like a nice, well made lightweight one!

Mezcalito screwed with this post 07-30-2013 at 07:42 PM
Mezcalito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:44 PM   #4758
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,487
After having a knife in my pocket for 30 years, if I don't have one, I feel nekkid. . I guess I'm just a freak.

And no, I flew back. The package containing said knife will arrive in a day or so. Since I'm now home, I have 30 or so other knives I can choose from to carry. There's a ParaMilitary2 (Sprint run, handles in brown g10) in my pocket at the moment.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:45 AM   #4759
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,330
I love Spydercos, but honestly I have not owned one since I got a brand new Police model when they hit the shores originally in the late 1980s. I still have it. I bought one on a whim last month when I walked into the local Sportsmans Whorehouse. It is the Native and only cost 70 clams.

I will get the Velotten sub hilt as soon as I stop spending money on my project too expensive XRDS.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:09 AM   #4760
lochridge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
speaking of being in california without a knife........do any of you know any places to pick up an opinel in the LA area or just north of there along the coast?
lochridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:14 AM   #4761
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochridge View Post
speaking of being in california without a knife........do any of you know any places to pick up an opinel in the LA area or just north of there along the coast?
Not kidding here, but isn't it a felony to carry a knife in Cali? I heard they even made that a conceiled weapon arrest.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:28 AM   #4762
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Not kidding here, but isn't it a felony to carry a knife in Cali? I heard they even made that a conceiled weapon arrest.
I just recently found out that it's illegal to carry any knife concealed in Boulder County, Colorado. Elsewhere in Colorado the law allows one to carry a knife that's less then 3.5". The knife laws in Colorado are more confusing than the gun laws.
McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:46 AM   #4763
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNeal View Post
I just recently found out that it's illegal to carry any knife concealed in Boulder County, Colorado. Elsewhere in Colorado the law allows one to carry a knife that's less then 3.5". The knife laws in Colorado are more confusing than the gun laws.
That is so weird. I remember reading the knife laws here in NM which AREN'T enforced unless you are a gang banger, and thinking they were also more severe than the gun laws. I seem to remember you were still guilty of carrying a concealed weapon if it was a knife if you HAD a CCW for a gun! "Hey sir, you are under arrest for that knife. Your gun is OK but that knife is dangerous!"
Old 07-31-2013, 10:55 AM   #4764
lochridge
Gnarly Adventurer

this was what i was told on the subject:
copy and pasted:

Summary of Cal carry laws:

A fixed blade must be worn openly on the waist, no concealment. No length restrictions by the state, local laws may regulate length. Neck knives aren't specifically illegal, but since they're not carried on the waist, can at least get you into an interesting conversation with an LEO. Pocket carry Barkies, with those nice pocket carry sheaths from KSF, are illegal - they have to be carried in the open.

Folding knives have no size or concealment restrictions, so long as they are not carried in an opened configuration. Locking folders are fine - just don't carry locked open and concealed (duh!), which technically makes it a fixed blade in the eyes of the law. Local regs may restrict further.

"Daggers" and switchblades are generally illegal (exception for very small switchblades). "Assisted" folders are a grey area, and tend to be lumped with switchblades by most LEOs.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:57 AM   #4765
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by lochridge View Post
Holy CRAP! You don't have a knife? Want me to FedEx you a SAK?!
tslewisz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:59 AM   #4766
lochridge
Gnarly Adventurer

nope, but i am also not there yet.
this trip is a little way away. i am just trying to get my ducks in a row.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:33 PM   #4767
Norsman
...a GSophile

Oddometer: 2,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrod1318 View Post
So far I've looked at Tops, Anza, martini, some others I can't think of. Never had a "good" knife or at least one that costs more than 40 bucks.

Looking at spending 100-200$. I'm leaning more towards carbon steel, fixed blade around 4" I want it to outlive me so I can hand it down. I'm leaning more towards one of a kind knives, maybe not a production peice but I have not ruled that out. Made in USA is important, but if its handmade any origin would be fine.

Any makers I need to look at?
Look at survive knives, blind horse knives, ESEE.
Norsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:56 PM   #4768
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrod1318 View Post
So far I've looked at Tops, Anza, martini, some others I can't think of. Never had a "good" knife or at least one that costs more than 40 bucks.

Looking at spending 100-200$. I'm leaning more towards carbon steel, fixed blade around 4" I want it to outlive me so I can hand it down. I'm leaning more towards one of a kind knives, maybe not a production peice but I have not ruled that out. Made in USA is important, but if its handmade any origin would be fine.

Any makers I need to look at?

Esee is the brand I recommend the most, but Tops has a new knife that was designed by one of Esee's survival instructor, that I will be picking up at some point. It's called the C.U.B.

For something in your price range that is more along the lines of a semi-custom, I would go with Blindhorse Knives. They're less tactical or utilty, and more toward woodscraft or hunting.
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:22 PM   #4769
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsman View Post
Look at survive knives, blind horse knives, ESEE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtysouth View Post
Esee is the brand I recommend the most, but Tops has a new knife that was designed by one of Esee's survival instructor, that I will be picking up at some point. It's called the C.U.B.

For something in your price range that is more along the lines of a semi-custom, I would go with Blindhorse Knives. They're less tactical or utilty, and more toward woodscraft or hunting.
Thanks for the blind horse recommend, I really like what I'm seeing there.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:46 PM   #4770
DirtyOldMan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape View Post
Thank you! That was probably the best 'simple' (for us non-tech, knife fan, user, collectors) explanation I have ever read. I really appreciate you taking the time to tell us.

Bruce
Indeed. The man can absolutely explain stuff well.

13 650 Terra

96 R1100R
DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: