New and improved KTM690 WUNDERFEST

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by crankshaft, Sep 6, 2011.

1. fluff34567

fluff34567 Long timer

Oddometer:

excellent thanks.
  2. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey all,
    Apologies for just chiming in here with a q, but it's semi-related to all the 690 pics posted in this thread (and my q doesn't warrant a full thread haha):

The stock 690E mirrors are "ok", semi-usable when they're not vibrating to hell. Anybody have a good aftermarket mirror setup that works well but is less obtrusive / tucks away when offroad? Thanks in advance.
  3. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Double Takes! Best mirror I've tried.
  4. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1

I've got the longer RAM mount (only because I was leant / given them) and will change to shorter at some stage ...

[​IMG]
  5. dad2bike

dad2bike Retired! Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer:
    +1 on the doubletake mirrors.
    I have them on all my bikes.

Sent from outside my mind.
  6. v8toilet

v8toilet Nothing to see here.

Oddometer:
    I like doubletakes but if you have HDB hand guards their integrated mirrors are great.
  7. ramjet

ramjet Long timer

Oddometer:
    I prefer these they fold out of the way quickly and look less funky, good at speed.
    http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-690-950-990-1190-folding-mirror
  8. bcbullet

bcbullet From eh to zed

Oddometer:
    Speaking of mirrors, if you swap left for right you end up with about 1" less height on them...not quite so drastic looking.
  9. Biped

Biped In the middle

Oddometer:
    For those of you that have disabled your roll-over switch, this may be a asobering story. Bear in mind that Gary was riding a 500 EXC, so not sure if that had a roll-over switch or not. I'll be riding with his club this weekend and wish him a speedy recovery. He was about to trade his 990 for a 690, hope he gets to do that some day.

"Gary apparently tagged a tree with his right bars, which in turn sent him over the bars. Unfortunately his bike landed on him and commenced to devour him with a stuck throttle. Once the dust cleared and he was attended to by his fellow riders, he had burn marks on his hand and forearm down to the bone. He also got a huge, bone-deep gash from his shoulder down to his elbow and it sounds like the brake disc did that damage. He lost a huge amount of blood, but his fellow riders were able to get him attended to and he was eventually flown to hospital in Portland."<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  10. DirtJack

DirtJack Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    356 miles SE or 539 miles NW of Orla, Texas
    Turns out that 14/42 will not fit a chain (116 links) which is needed for 14/48. However, 15/48 and 16/48 (same as stock) will. Gives lots of choices and changing the front sprocket is easier than changing the rear.
  11. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    I've broken several sets of these KTM folding mirrors when the bike goes for a tumble or through thick brush. They break off at the base. I've switched like others here to the DoubleTake mirrors, and they have been bulletproof so far. Just installed a set on my 690.
  12. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've also broken folding mirrors ...

And if they are sturdy, you can also damage other stuff on the bars in the process (depending on where they are attached to) ...

The beauty of the DoubleTake arrangement is the 3D flexibility - doesn't matter what angle they get knocked from ...

The short RAM mount is probably smarter than the long one, although the long one does work fine for me ...
  13. gen

gen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you tried Firefox?
  14. mbrick

mbrick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure if you got an answer yet, but just measured the spools I have on an 08 690SM. Also the same size for a 990SD.

M10x1.5. Thread length that goes into the swingarm is 16mm long for reference.

The spools I have are from RG-Racing.com. These look like the cheapest, or you could make your own:
    http://www.amazon.com/Swingarm-Sliders-Spools-1190R-Black/dp/B00BUL2E2K
  15. MeinMotorrad

MeinMotorrad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Windows 8? :puke1
  16. dad2bike

dad2bike Retired! Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply. I bought some 10 mm ones at cycle gear. Sure enough they were 1.25 pitch. I had to get some 10x1.5mm cap bolts at the hardware store.

Sent from outside my mind.
  17. sdd04

sdd04 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Ozarks....SW MO, NW AR-great place to play!
    It's Win 7. Don't have Firefox loaded. Maybe I need to give that a try.

Tried my wife's pc, and had the same issue, though she is also Win 7 with IE 10 and we both use the same anti malware software. Usually if Vipre is stopping me from seeing something though, the screen is full of "Vipre boxes" and warnings. What I'm seeing is the header of the web page, but all of the contents just quickly appear and then disappear.
  18. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    They also have a couple other functions. :lol3:lol3

[​IMG]
  19. gen

gen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you're seeing the same issue on two different computers running the same anti-malware software, then that may be the problem. If both Chrome and IE10 are having problems then it's something unrelated to the browser afaict.
  20. DirtJack

DirtJack Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    356 miles SE or 539 miles NW of Orla, Texas
    New brakes & fluid, rear rotor, new chain and sprockets (14/48), new fork oil, new rockers (valves set to maximum clearance). Motor runs quiet like I never remember it ever running. Doesn't even sound like KTM. :rofl