User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 10:56 PM   #16
tkitna
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,400
If your going to buy a gun that you want to shoot on a regular basis, get a .40 caliber as thats the only ammo thats readily available (in my area anyways). If your carrying for protection and arent comfortable with handguns, get the revolver. They are the most reliable and not a whole lot of thought process goes into using one. Thats what I bought my wife to carry. My only issues with revolvers are that they kind of stink as a range and plucking gun and they take longer to reload even with a speed loader.

I always have the dilemma whether to carry the .45 (why shoot twice ) or the CZ 9mm (18 shots). Its a coin toss.

2008 DL650
2013 Goldwing
tkitna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:02 PM   #17
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,037
sure glad someone pointed out how small a pattern a shotgun throws out at close range with say OO buck.

what ever type weapon you get .. practice, practice, practice.. someone already suggested an air pistol.
practice with an air pistol transfers over to firearms.

fire that air pistol a few thousand rounds .. you cannot help but get better. my fav is an old Benjamin .177 pump up. all brass with weight and feel of firearm. setup a simple box target say 15ft away from your desk. fire away all day long ...

no one has asked .. what is your budget?
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:55 AM   #18
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo View Post
If you are looking for a handgun, I would recommend a 22 rimfire along the lines of a Browning Buckmark 22, a Ruger 22/45, or even a Ruger SR22. This way, you can shoot a bit cheaper, and hone your skills. If you find that you really enjoy it, then get a centerfire pistol.
I always suggest that people start with a .22lr. One, they're cheap(-ish) to shoot and it's always a good idea to have one--even if it ends up being your only gun. If you end up with a room full of guns, there's always a place for a .22 in the line up.

For rifles, I think it's hard to be the Ruger 10/22. For pistols, my preference is for Browning Buckmarks, then Ruger 22/45s.

Shoot those until all the basics are dialed in. By then, you should have a better idea of what you want in a piece. Then look for something like that.

IMHO, the Glock 19 (9mm) with a .22lr conversion kit is a really good next step--IF the pistol fits your hand and one can grasp keeping the finger off the trigger.

But no matter what, get a .22lr first and go from there. *If* you need a self/home defense gun between now and getting something bigger/better later, at least you'll have something and the practice that the gun and ammo allows for makes it more likely that you'll be proficient in its use. Remember, hits with a .22 are better than misses with something else.

Oh, here's a good picture (right hand, reverse for left) of how to "read" the grouping:
http://www.adjunct.diodon349.com/att...s/image002.gif
Tripl Nikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:59 AM   #19
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiggs13 View Post
btw try moving the pad of your finger over toward your right, you are consistently shooting left too much finger on the trigger
Assuming he is right handed....
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:01 AM   #20
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,529
Another vote for .22lr. This isn't a brag........well, ok, maybe it's what the hipsters call a humblebrag, but I'm pretty damned good with a rifle a good with a handgun and I believe it is all because I spent thousands of hours behind .22lr chambered weapons. They're the cheapest to shoot and cheapest to buy so you can do it more often. Nothing, and I mean nothing, replaces repetitive practice at the range.

For semi-auto's I think it's hard to go wrong with the Browning Buckmark or Ruger 22/45. As mentioned earlier, these are reliable, easy to operate, and offer a lot of shots between re-loads.

But I'll also put in a big vote for a .22lr revolver. Simple to operate and the fact that you have to work a little harder in order to "spray and pray" means that you're concentrating more on things like aim, technique, and form. Taurus bashing seems to be popular, but their Tracker series in .22lr has been reliable for me and gives you a full size frame (great in preparation for that eventual .357 purchase) in .22lr without breaking the bank.

With a revolver you'll spend more time re-loading, but that means more time thinking. That thinking part is THE MOST IMPORTANT part of learning to shoot, IMHO.
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:37 AM   #21
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
find something that fits you. you'll pick something up and it will immediately speak to you - that's what matters most.
As far as pistols go, HK's, and 1911's fit me best
This!!!!

For a while I had a CZ 9mm (BD75) and ergonomically it was the best gun I have ever used. Never should have sold it. Now I have a Colt 45 series 70 and the wife has a S&W 357 (4"). Balance is very important in a handgun, I shot a S&W Model 29 (Dirty Harry .44 mag) with a 5" barrel at a gun range and it was the best balanced gun I had ever shot. Even with one hand (right or left) the gun was controllable and very accurate. I went out and bought one with a 6" barrel and the balance was not the same. Everyone is different and what may be perfect for me may not fit you. Go to a local gun range and try out different handguns.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:48 AM   #22
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,117
You have played with the SR9 and did not say your thoughts on that specific gun....did it fit your hand, did you touch others before deciding to rent that one.

Sounds like you want to have fun with it....great. At the place you shoot see if there are any games you can play...shooting bowling pins, knocking over steel targets, shooting from different positions, PPC (google it) or some other games you can play.....if there are go watch one...they are quite fun, you may want a hand gun you can play one of those games with. And those guys will teach you safety, and have fun while doing it....and you will get better so much faster then just practice on your own.

If that sounds like fun to you jump in now before you get bad habits that are hard to lose. You will not win anything, but you will get better, and just go into it with the idea of having fun.

99% of the guys that compete in these type of matches are the best of the "gun" community....I would really doubt that you would not like it...my wife likes to play the games....at our club they will let her do the PPC matches with her .22, they don't score her to the totals with the other guys, but they let her play, and she has a ball doing it. She is getting to be a better shot, better at dealing with a malfunction, and being more safety oriented as well....I really suggest you give it a go.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:01 AM   #23
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by samthg View Post
The gun I really took a liking to was a Sig 9mm? But the doods at the range said that is too small to do what I need.

So what to believe? This thread will hopefully developed into some great education.
Don't listen to the doods at the range, if that pistol felt right and you liked it, that's what matters. Unless you want to hunt Grizzly bears, a 9mm will work just fine. A well placed shot with a gun you are comfortable with is better than a miss with a 44 mag that scares the shit out of you to shoot.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:03 AM   #24
Noone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoran View Post
+1 on the SR22 or the Buckmark. Cheap to own and shoot plus a lot of fun too.
+2 on the Browning Buckmark. Dead accurate right out of the box and the sights are adjustable. Find the pistol that fits your hand.
Noone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:20 AM   #25
andoulli OP
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Same boat here. Shot my first gun recently, because I too would like something. Mine will be for home defense. So I'm thinking a pistol type gun would be out. I want to take aiming out of the equation.

I shot at a local range with my son. Tried three different guns, one of which was a 45?, I think. That had some kick. I would not want that in a panic situation. The gun I really took a liking to was a Sig 9mm? But the doods at the range said that is too small to do what I need.

So what to believe? This thread will hopefully developed into some great education.
If you think a 9mm may be too small to do what you need, take a couple of minutes to read Glen's story.

http://carteach0.blogspot.com/2010/0...-tale-for.html
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:22 AM   #26
nevermind
Swamp Thing

Oddometer: 2,703
Y'all are approaching this from the wrong end of the horse. It ain't what gun he should get, it is all about what ammo he can find!!! THEN ya get the gun that fits the ammo.
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:24 AM   #27
gronk
HIGH ANGLE RIGGER

Oddometer: 342
Sig P229 try it you will like it .
gronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:41 AM   #28
andoulli OP
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
sure glad someone pointed out how small a pattern a shotgun throws out at close range with say OO buck.

what ever type weapon you get .. practice, practice, practice.. someone already suggested an air pistol.
practice with an air pistol transfers over to firearms.

fire that air pistol a few thousand rounds .. you cannot help but get better. my fav is an old Benjamin .177 pump up. all brass with weight and feel of firearm. setup a simple box target say 15ft away from your desk. fire away all day long ...

no one has asked .. what is your budget?
The Ruger SR9 I shot first is $450 approximately new and I can afford that. I want to shoot a Baretta 92fs next. I think they are around $650 to $675 new depending on if you get American or Italian made. That's probably at the top of my affordability range. I'm not at all apposed to buying used but as a newb I'm not sure if that's a good idea or even how to do it.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:48 AM   #29
McRuss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
+1 for .22LR. I'm considering one now for a carry weapon. I've been to autopsies of folks shot with a .22 and it is impressive (scary) what that little chunk of lead will do. They don't blow a big hole but they do richochet off bone and go nuts inside a torso.

That being said, the preceding suggestions all have merit. Do not listen to someone who tells you the 9mm is not big enough. I love my S&W Model 39 (9MM) but I have a little Colt .32 that my father-in-law gave me that I carry now. It is slim, smooth and has a grip safety. And I don't know of anyone who will claim it is OK to be shot with a .32 (or a .22.)

Auto vs wheel gun. There are tradeoffs but as has been said, be VERY familiar (practice, practice, practice) with which ever you go with. Over a 23 year LE career, I carried both and was quite proficient with both. But I ended up carrying the Model 39 Smith as my favorite even though I owned a number of .357 wheel guns. I even carried a little 5 shot .38 Chief's Special for a few years.

Colorado native, doin' time in Texas
McRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:51 AM   #30
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,366
Quote:
The gun I really took a liking to was a Sig 9mm? But the doods at the range said that is too small to do what I need.
They're idiots and their "advice" should be taken with large grains of salt.

Google FBI approved ammunition, choose any flavor from their list that'll fit into a gun that fits you and works well for you and you'll be good to go.

And then practice. Then practice some more. Then go practice again.
Tripl Nikl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: