Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road Warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2013, 12:35 AM   #991
ZZ-R Rider
Captain Fantastic

Oddometer: 727
Rider is skilled for sure ... noticed the stock can has been replaced ... Bolt is still one awesome motorcycle IMHO!
Old 07-30-2013, 06:19 AM   #992
deezildennis
Its a what?

Oddometer: 901
Wicked close to the spectators though. All sorts of things could have gone wrong there and I am glad they didn't.
deezildennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:29 PM   #993
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
That is obviously a highly skilled stunt rider who could probably do the same thing on a Goldwing. Honda needs this guy to advertise their Grom.

I did notice a couple of things. He called it 1000cc, but it is actually 950cc. I also heard him call it a "Yamaha" Bolt, and not a "Star" Bolt. And I don't see $7999 as being so cheap when the full sized V-Star 950 is only a couple hundred more, but twice the bike.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #994
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
That is obviously a highly skilled stunt rider who could probably do the same thing on a Goldwing. Honda needs this guy to advertise their Grom.

I did notice a couple of things. He called it 1000cc, but it is actually 950cc. I also heard him call it a "Yamaha" Bolt, and not a "Star" Bolt. And I don't see $7999 as being so cheap when the full sized V-Star 950 is only a couple hundred more, but twice the bike.
You forgot to mention he said they took a "hack saw" to the exhaust. Nice!

Appears to be at a Yamaha dealership. Maybe those that diss HD as being irresponsible for marketing videos that display "loud pipes" should be a little more tolerant.

blk-betty screwed with this post 07-30-2013 at 06:35 PM
blk-betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:45 AM   #995
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer: 5,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
You forgot to mention he said they took a "hack saw" to the exhaust. Nice!

Appears to be at a Yamaha dealership. Maybe those that diss HD as being irresponsible for marketing videos that display "loud pipes" should be a little more tolerant.
If the entire issue could be confined to you tube you *might* have a point.

I see a bike modified for stunt shows on private property which is a far cry from selling every schmuck that buys a bike a Screaming Eagle kit.

Swing and a miss you partisan hack.
Ritalin Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:21 AM   #996
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy View Post

I see a bike modified for stunt shows on private property which is a far cry from selling every schmuck that buys a bike a Screaming Eagle kit.

And the sole purpose of that "stunt show" appears to have been to promote and market the new Bolt. Do you honestly think that they hacked the muffler because they needed to? Or could it have been simply to make it loud to appeal to the same people that might otherwise buy a Sportster and want to make it loud. It's called marketing, and Yamaha is doing their best to market this bike as a "better" 883 Sportster. This video may have been just an independant dealer sponsored event, IDK, but I'd say that if it was, then that was his take on it anyway. Then again, was this event sponsored by Yamaha as part of their promotional campaign?
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:10 PM   #997
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Quote:

Screamin Eagle mufflers now and for past several years have been 50-state EPA noise compliant.

Try again you attention deficient boy.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:39 PM   #998
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

Quote:
Screamin Eagle mufflers now and for past several years have been 50-state EPA noise compliant.

Try again you attention deficient boy.
Then why is it everyone I've ever seen / heard is so fucking loud?
Old 07-31-2013, 08:03 PM   #999
B02S4
Aye

Oddometer: 1,123
Quote:

B02S4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:32 PM   #1000
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Can't answer your question, but straight from the Sceamin' Eagle catalog:

SCREAMIN’ EAGLE® STREET PERFORMANCE
SLIP-N MUFFLERS – SPORTSTER® ShORTY DUAL

Street legal high-flow mufflers are factory tuned to deliver an
aggressive exhaust note and improved performance comparable to Screamin’Eagle® II mufflers. Available in your choice
of rich chrome or heat-resistant jet black ceramic finish, these
mufflers feature a deep embossed Screamin’ Eagle logo along
the flank. EPA stamped, these mufflers are 50-state street
legal on stock ’07-later model engines.

Fits ’07-later XL models. Installation requires separate
purchase of Muffler Clamps P/N 65296-95A(Qty.2).

80503-07 Chrome. $299.95
80726-09A JetBlack. $389.95

Page 18
http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...amin_Eagle.pdf

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Old 07-31-2013, 08:48 PM   #1001
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Can't answer your question, but straight from the Sceamin' Eagle catalog:

SCREAMIN’ EAGLE® STREET PERFORMANCE
SLIP-N MUFFLERS – SPORTSTER® ShORTY DUAL

Street legal high-flow mufflers are factory tuned to deliver an
aggressive exhaust note and improved performance comparable to Screamin’Eagle® II mufflers. Available in your choice
of rich chrome or heat-resistant jet black ceramic finish, these
mufflers feature a deep embossed Screamin’ Eagle logo along
the flank. EPA stamped, these mufflers are 50-state street
legal on stock ’07-later model engines.

Fits ’07-later XL models. Installation requires separate
purchase of Muffler Clamps P/N 65296-95A(Qty.2).

80503-07 Chrome. $299.95
80726-09A JetBlack. $389.95

Page 18
http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...amin_Eagle.pdf

I love it...

50 state legal on *stock* engines 07 or newer.

I'm sure the dealerships are making sure the SE pipe is the *only* modification they suggest, because any more and your new pipe might be too loud.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:03 PM   #1002
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I love it...

50 state legal on *stock* engines 07 or newer.

I'm sure the dealerships are making sure the SE pipe is the *only* modification they suggest, because any more and your new pipe might be too loud.
So what?

To get the stamp of approval it has to be tested. Do you really expect them, or any manufacturer to pay for the testing on every possible combination of aftermarket parts that an owner might use on their particular bike? They test their pipes on their engines as designed. It still falls within the allowable sound limits and they get the street legal seal of approval. Just a simple CYA from marketing. That's better than most. A lot of aftermarket exhaust from various manufacturers aren't even legal at all technically, stock engines or not. And that's not just in regard to Harleys. And I suppose that crappy JC WHitney knock-off thing that was shown for the bolt earlier in this thread is any better???

Geesh! If your THAT concerned about Screamin' Eagle do a little reading on some HD related forums and you just might find that a lot of people don't really like them because the current SE pipes are too quiet.

There are a ton of obnoxiously loud exhaust on the market for a ton of different bikes, and from many different manufacturers.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:02 AM   #1003
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Quote:
Ok here is the answer. For the last 4-5 years HD has changed their stance on loud exhaust in response to negative public preception.

Screamin Eagle mufflers, until about '07 were much louder and were advertised as "Race Use Only" and not noise compliant. Dealers and the MoCo sold and installed them for any Dick or Jane who wanted louder mufflers knowing they were going to be used on street / non-race bikes with the understanding if the rider is cited for loud exhaust, HD is not liable.

About 5 years ago HD realized the error of their ways and now all Sreamin Eagle mufflers are 50 state street legal and comply with Federal noise standards. Changing engine internals, cams, heads, intake, will increase the sound but not by much. Will they still pass noise restrictions. That I don't know.

The vast majority of HDs and metric cruisers that are overly loud have aftermarket mufflers and there are more of these than I care to count, some of the more popular are Vance and Hines, D&D, Thunderheader, Supertrapp, Reinhardt, Samson, Cycle-Shack (who made the older style loud Screamin Eagle mufflers), Cobra, Rush, and Bassani.

Older say from pre-2004 Cycle Shack supplied Screamin Eagle mufflers were loud. Then HD, in response to noise complaints, discontinued that series and introduced the Screamin Eagle II series which, although not 50-state legal, were much quieter than the original SE series. These were phased out as well for the same reason around 07-08 and now all the SE mufflers meet federal noise compliance standards.

Of course dealers still sell and install louder aftermarket systems done against the recommendation of the MoCo but as far as I know there are no repercussions from the parent company for doing so just as there are none for metric cruiser dealers who sell and install aftermarket mufflers.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:04 AM   #1004
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

Quote:
Ok here is the answer. For the last 4-5 years HD has changed their stance on loud exhaust in response to negative public preception.

Screamin Eagle mufflers, until about '07 were much louder and were advertised as "Race Use Only" and not noise compliant. Dealers and the MoCo sold and installed them for any Dick or Jane who wanted louder mufflers knowing they were going to be used on street / non-race bikes with the understanding if the rider is cited for loud exhaust, HD is not liable.

About 5 years ago HD realized the error of their ways and now all Sreamin Eagle mufflers are 50 state street legal and comply with Federal noise standards. Changing engine internals, cams, heads, intake, will increase the sound but not by much. Will they still pass noise restrictions. That I don't know.

The vast majority of HDs and metric cruisers that are overly loud have aftermarket mufflers and there are more of these than I care to count, some of the more popular are Vance and Hines, D&D, Thunderheader, Supertrapp, Reinhardt, Samson, Cycle-Shack (who made the older style loud Screamin Eagle mufflers), Cobra, Rush, and Bassani.

Older say from prefer-2004 Cycle Shack supplied Screamin Eagle mufflers were loud. Then HD, in response to noise complaints, discontinued that series and introduced the Screamin Eagle II series which, although not 50-state legal, were much quieter than the original SE series. These were phased out as well for the same reason around 07-08 and now all the SE mufflers meet federal noise compliance standards.

Of course dealers still sell and install louder aftermarket systems done against the recommendation of the MoCo but as far as I know there is no repercussions from the parent company for doing so.
Thank you for the clarification.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:54 AM   #1005
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Quote:
Thank you for the clarification.
No problem, there is a lot of misinformation circulated about HDs and if one isn't "into" them there is no reason to know or care about all the sutitlies.

Now, back to regular scheduled programming. Anyone seeing R-Secs at their dealers yet?