ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 12:15 AM   #5626
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer
 
SAPB's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACINGTHESUN View Post
When I told the salesman I wanted to test ride one he asked why? He did this because he knows I am interested in the WR250R, and he knows that I really liked the test rode I took. I told him I wanted to be sure what bike I wanted and to really see if the little WR is worth $2000 more than the CRF. He quickly stated that the WR was not quite $2000 more, at least not the 2013 model. Well, after some arm twisting I got to ride the CRF. Really no arm twisting, the salesman didn't have a problem. The bike did have one whole mile on it when I left It was a 2014 and they had just got it the day before. Well, heard a lot of bad and good about the little red bike and had to find out for myself on a short little test ride. Here are the things I liked. The bike surprisingly had a little giddy up, and me being a very big fella at 260+. I don't expect it to have a lot of torque, it is a little 250. It still didn't seem to have as much giddy up as the Yamaha did. Really liked the height from the ground. I am almost 6ft tall, and the WR is just about too high. It would be interesting to see how it would do out in the tough riding areas with the Boulder size rocks everywhere. I mostly ride on Jeep Trails, and loved to take the DR650's up some narly stuff. I just don't know if the shocks on little red would handle the bumps. I believe the bottom after market protection would get the heck beat out of it. Still I liked how low little red sat. I did take it on a dirt rode, the same one as the WR, much to the salesman's dismay. Lucky I didn't find some mud The bike still feels light, even though it is considerably heavier than the WR. Note, I ride a KLR650, and trust me it is a pig in the dirt. I can't stand it. Big mistake buying that POS. Anyway, enough about Mulina, that is my KLR's name. The shocks left something to be desired. The bumps were not all that good. The seat is just as awful as the WR seat. Neither one impressed me. The vibration through the handlebars, even on the pavement was pretty noticeable. Keep in mind not nearly as bad as Mulina, but the little WR had virtually no vibration and that was also on the dirt road. It just seemed to sail right over the bumps. It seemed like I felt most of the bumps on the CRF. Keep in mind, I don't know if it was set up properly before I left. Can you adjust the suspension on little red? The very last thing was the brakes. I very nearly ran right into the back of a persons car at a light. It was a pretty quick stop. WTF? I mean my KLR stops better than little red. The brakes might not have been set up right, don't know. I let the salesman know about it when I got back. I was very wary, the rest of the test ride. Now the million dollar question. Is the WR worth $2000 more than little red? Well, I figured after all the upgrades to make the suspension as good as the WR, and the fact that the WR seems to have a better engine with more HP, no vibration through the handlebars, then I would have to say yeah. Of course we all know that every new vehicle is overpriced anyway, so what difference does it really make? Still $2000 is a lot of money. Still, will have to decide, and I am leaning towards getting it(WR). Maybe tomorrow.....Just though I would share my opinion, just in case anybody is on the fence about whether or not to get this bike. I know 7 miles and ten minutes is not a lot of time to properly evaluate a bike, but the problems I had with it were clearly evident in the little red ride. Everybody has different tastes, and mostly different riding styles. Most people would not ride little red in places that I like to ride. Remember the bad boulder strewn roads? Well, in that case little red would probably be ok, and you wouldn't want to pay $2000 extra for a more offroad worthy moto?
Already many comparisons to both bikes, even on ADV, search it. The brakes, it seems, have something sprayed on to keep the discs from rusting on the ship. Most have posted about this, really terrible for a while until you get them broken in.
__________________
C14 - CRF250L, always cleaned while it's raining

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:02 AM   #5627
jab1026
Adventurer
 
jab1026's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Oddometer: 89
LRP's braking is superb, powerful enough for a sudden stop.. When brandnew yes its not that good but after few kms you will feel how powerful it is...
jab1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:15 AM   #5628
philosobrad
problem_solvent
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Springfield, MO
Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
So we are currently on a COBDR trip with 2 WRR's, 2 CRF's & a sherpa. My wife is riding one of the CRF's and is doing great on it. She's absolutely loving the bike and I've really seen her shine on it out here.

The other CRF is being ridden by my buddies brother. He's probably the newest to the dirt of all 5 of us, but not new to bikes by a long shot. He's a pretty good mechanic too.

His CRF isn't stock and has some of the usual mods like pipe, programmer, etc. On our 2nd day of the trip, we were going over Ophir pass and he was struggling a bit and took a spill hurting his knee. When I went back to help him, he said his clutch was slipping and he just couldn't keep his momentum up. I ended up riding his bike up over the pass for him and I could definitely feel his clutch slipping when I got on it. He had adjusted the slack before the trip and it was fine, but when we checked it on the pass after we noticed it was slipping, there was no free play in the cable, so that certainly wasn't helping. We were able to adjust it out some more, but by then we assumed the damage had been done and he was still hurting pretty good from his tumble. He decided to head off to a town to get new clutch plates while the rest of us continued on.

We heard back from him today and when he went to put the new clutch plates in, he discovered that of the 5 clutch springs in there, one of the bosses holding a spring had broken off meaning there were only 4 springs applying pressure to the clutch plates. That doesn't seem like something that just break off on a low mileage CRF. According to him, it appeared the metal had inclusions in it pointing to a manufacturing defect and even the mechanic there at the shop agreed. Needless to say, his trip is done and he's headed home, but was just curious if anyone else had ran into this with the clutch springs?

So far my wife's CRF has been fine, but its a very low mileage one also and we haven't been into the clutch for any reason yet.
Just did Ophir 2 weeks ago aboard 2 CRFLs without incident. Did your buddy crash in the washout just down from the top of the pass?

__________________
Triumph Scram, 640 Adventure, 520 EXC/Supermoto, SV650, RD350,
philosobrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:17 AM   #5629
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Dearborn MI
Oddometer: 1,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
The more mounting points, the better. The rear pegs don't normally have a bunch of weight on them. Chris S, who bought a used CRF, rode around the southwest, then sold it, and returned to UK was having some racks custom made, can't find his post. http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/index....product_id=320
Here it is http://adventure-motorcyclingh.com/2...-project-bike/
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:30 AM   #5630
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Dearborn MI
Oddometer: 1,468
RACINGTHESUN: Yup...rear brake breaks in slow. Seat re do is relatively cheap rear shock preload can be increased if that doesn't work a few folks here have gotten stiffer springs replacement shocks are pricey HOWEVER lowering down the nosebleed tall WR and getting the suspension right will not be inexpensive....my buddy has a WR and he's spent plenty on a different seat and suspension work...that's on top of the $2000 price differential I rode his back to back against my CRF....don't like the WR ergos at all....the power differential is not worth the $ differential
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:36 AM   #5631
ScootToots
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ScootToots's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Central Okanagan, British Columbia Canada
Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACINGTHESUN View Post
When I told the salesman I wanted to test ride one he asked why? He did this because he knows I am interested in the WR250R, and he knows that I really liked the test rode I took. I told him I wanted to be sure what bike I wanted and to really see if the little WR is worth $2000 more than the CRF. He quickly stated that the WR was not quite $2000 more, at least not the 2013 model. Well, after some arm twisting I got to ride the CRF. Really no arm twisting, the salesman didn't have a problem. The bike did have one whole mile on it when I left It was a 2014 and they had just got it the day before. Well, heard a lot of bad and good about the little red bike and had to find out for myself on a short little test ride. Here are the things I liked. The bike surprisingly had a little giddy up, and me being a very big fella at 260+. I don't expect it to have a lot of torque, it is a little 250. It still didn't seem to have as much giddy up as the Yamaha did. Really liked the height from the ground. I am almost 6ft tall, and the WR is just about too high. It would be interesting to see how it would do out in the tough riding areas with the Boulder size rocks everywhere. I mostly ride on Jeep Trails, and loved to take the DR650's up some narly stuff. I just don't know if the shocks on little red would handle the bumps. I believe the bottom after market protection would get the heck beat out of it. Still I liked how low little red sat. I did take it on a dirt rode, the same one as the WR, much to the salesman's dismay. Lucky I didn't find some mud The bike still feels light, even though it is considerably heavier than the WR. Note, I ride a KLR650, and trust me it is a pig in the dirt. I can't stand it. Big mistake buying that POS. Anyway, enough about Mulina, that is my KLR's name. The shocks left something to be desired. The bumps were not all that good. The seat is just as awful as the WR seat. Neither one impressed me. The vibration through the handlebars, even on the pavement was pretty noticeable. Keep in mind not nearly as bad as Mulina, but the little WR had virtually no vibration and that was also on the dirt road. It just seemed to sail right over the bumps. It seemed like I felt most of the bumps on the CRF. Keep in mind, I don't know if it was set up properly before I left. Can you adjust the suspension on little red? The very last thing was the brakes. I very nearly ran right into the back of a persons car at a light. It was a pretty quick stop. WTF? I mean my KLR stops better than little red. The brakes might not have been set up right, don't know. I let the salesman know about it when I got back. I was very wary, the rest of the test ride. Now the million dollar question. Is the WR worth $2000 more than little red? Well, I figured after all the upgrades to make the suspension as good as the WR, and the fact that the WR seems to have a better engine with more HP, no vibration through the handlebars, then I would have to say yeah. Of course we all know that every new vehicle is overpriced anyway, so what difference does it really make? Still $2000 is a lot of money. Still, will have to decide, and I am leaning towards getting it(WR). Maybe tomorrow.....Just though I would share my opinion, just in case anybody is on the fence about whether or not to get this bike. I know 7 miles and ten minutes is not a lot of time to properly evaluate a bike, but the problems I had with it were clearly evident in the little red ride. Everybody has different tastes, and mostly different riding styles. Most people would not ride little red in places that I like to ride. Remember the bad boulder strewn roads? Well, in that case little red would probably be ok, and you wouldn't want to pay $2000 extra for a more offroad worthy moto?
Just a couple notes of comparison to your experience on the test ride:

Vibration: That's curious. One of the things I like about the CRF is the absence of vibration on the seat, the bars, you name it.

Bad bolder strewn roads: Clyde (my CRF250L) and I have ridden lots of routes now that sound a lot like what you describe; steep, loose rock and bolder strewn with deep ruts crisscrossing at all angles thrown in for good measure. I find the bike handles it really well -- far better than I do :-).

Cheers
__________________
Blog: Scoot Toots | Blasts from the Saddle
YouTube Channel: Blasts from the Saddle
ScootToots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:02 AM   #5632
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion
 
BlueLghtning's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Newnan, GA
Oddometer: 4,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by philosobrad View Post
Just did Ophir 2 weeks ago aboard 2 CRFLs without incident. Did your buddy crash in the washout just down from the top of the pass?

We were headed from west to east over the pass. We were on that long climb before the trail turned right and hut that switch back and yeah I guess it was a wash out area with larger boulders that bit him.

Galaxy Note 2 on Tapatalk
__________________
BlueLghtning - Follow me on my SPOT Messenger
Mine: 09 DL650, 08 WR250R,
Hers: 07 Ninja 650R, 13 CRF250L,
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:08 AM   #5633
philosobrad
problem_solvent
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Springfield, MO
Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
We were headed from west to east over the pass. We were on that long climb before the trail turned right and hut that switch back and yeah I guess it was a wash out area with larger boulders that bit him.

Galaxy Note 2 on Tapatalk
Yep.....saw a Nissan Murano try to negotiate that spot without success.
__________________
Triumph Scram, 640 Adventure, 520 EXC/Supermoto, SV650, RD350,
philosobrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:39 AM   #5634
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over
 
DockingPilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Andover, N.J.
Oddometer: 9,342
Agree. Vibration ?
It has to be the smoothest single I have ever ridden. Like an electric motor almost.
__________________
Frank Reinbold

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:55 AM   #5635
Wargasm
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Wargasm's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Oddometer: 181
Vibrations?!?!? never felt a one when I was out for 7 hours on mine yesterday. That seat however is sadistic. Bicycle shorts helped a bit, but still had to stand for the last hour. Need a bigger tank as well, and more power, and better suspenders.........I may have outgrown this bike already.
Wargasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #5636
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer
 
SAPB's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Agree. Vibration ?
It has to be the smoothest single I have ever ridden. Like an electric motor almost.
Smooth, until you try to lug it at low RPM. Drop down a gear, back to normal. Yeah for a little thumper, very smooth indeed.
__________________
C14 - CRF250L, always cleaned while it's raining

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:33 AM   #5637
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer
 
SAPB's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 1,437
Racks

Earlier I posted about Chris S making racks, but it was actually this inmate, Peter S.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=5124

These are Tony's racks/Rotopax:

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=4797

And finally, this site, which Chris is a mod on about home made racks: http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...age-rack-38462

National IPA day, time for a Harpoon any time now, woohoooooooo.
__________________
C14 - CRF250L, always cleaned while it's raining

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf

SAPB screwed with this post 08-01-2013 at 09:41 AM
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #5638
Lost Rider
Roadie
 
Lost Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Ventura County, California Republic
Oddometer: 3,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACINGTHESUN View Post
The bike surprisingly had a little giddy up, and me being a very big fella at 260+. I don't expect it to have a lot of torque, it is a little 250.

The shocks left something to be desired. The bumps were not all that good. The seat is just as awful as the WR seat. Neither one impressed me. The vibration through the handlebars, even on the pavement was pretty noticeable.

Keep in mind, I don't know if it was set up properly before I left. Can you adjust the suspension on little red? The very last thing was the brakes. I very nearly ran right into the back of a persons car at a light. It was a pretty quick stop. WTF? I mean my KLR stops better than little red. The brakes might not have been set up right, don't know. I let the salesman know about it when I got back. I was very wary, the rest of the test ride. Now the million dollar question. Is the WR worth $2000 more than little red?
Well, I figured after all the upgrades to make the suspension as good as the WR, and the fact that the WR seems to have a better engine with more HP, no vibration through the handlebars, then I would have to say yeah.

I know 7 miles and ten minutes is not a lot of time to properly evaluate a bike, but the problems I had with it were clearly evident in the little red ride. Everybody has different tastes, and mostly different riding styles.

Most people would not ride little red in places that I like to ride. Remember the bad boulder strewn roads? Well, in that case little red would probably be ok, and you wouldn't want to pay $2000 extra for a more offroad worthy moto?


I'd say @ 260 pounds no matter what bike you buy you'll need to change the suspension for your weight, especially if you like riding knarley stuff. You can adjust the preload on the LRP, but it can't make up for your weight, and the rest of the suspension is not adjustable. A WR might have better stock suspension than the LRP, but it's still designed for an average rider around 180 pounds. It is a much taller bike, but with it being way under sprung for you the "rider sag" (measurement of sag with rider on it) brought it down to where the height seemed like a none issue it seems, but that's not where the bike should be riding at to get the most out of the suspension and handling.

With a brand spanking new bike it's hard to evaluate what it will become, it gets smoother, more powerful and far better braking with some miles on it like folks have mentioned. There are lots of appropriate comparison threads, mostly with posts like yours from people who have briefly ridden both bike or come to their conclusions based on what's on paper or from reading what the stupid moto magazines write. In the end, at your weight I would figure in spending $$ on suspension and a seat no matter what bike you buy and the rest of the decision is personal.

At the start of this thread I posted how to really search for various threads on the CRFL, might help folks looking for comparisons when trying to decide what bike to buy.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859691



Here's a short video of the LRP on some rocky terrain, stock suspension and I weight about 180 with gear, a repost I know but this thread has grown quite a bit being the catch all place for any post relating to the LRP.
It is more than capable in stock form to get pushed pretty hard IMO.




Death Valley Daze from Lost Rider on Vimeo.

__________________
Photography for me is not about recreating what I saw through
the viewfinder but to show people the way I want to see the world.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #5639
joec63 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
joec63's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Olmsted Twnshp, OH
Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Purty and envious of all the open riding country you have access too!
__________________
________
Semper Fi
joec63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #5640
r6realtor
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: FL
Oddometer: 168
I actually own both bikes(12 wr250r/14 crf250l) and my buddies both have 2013 crf's. I weigh about 185 pounds and the crf does great at least for my weight, but my one buddy that is about 230pounds and it does struggle just a tad bit more speed wise but does fine off road in the same conditions.
Power wise the wr is far superior for sure, the wr can beat it by semi truck lengths in a drag but I do not take my wr offroad at all so I cant compare to much there, however, I do think the suspension stock is going to handle your weight better on the wr, you can just tell spring rate wise on the crf its much softer never mind the lack of adjustability.
I have a buddy that is 250 6'-3" and he rides the crap out of his wr250r and beats it to death and he doesn't bottom it out at all.
Also, I know hard to believe because both seats are not that great, I can ride hours longer on the crf than i can on the wr. The wr literally feels like a brick after just a few minutes.
I still feel like the crf is a heck of a deal and would not hesitate to buy again, its not a power house but for me even though im used to the much faster wr the crf does fantastic in my opinion off/on road. Would I pay an extra $2000 for wr all over again, for me I just don't know? just that much more money that your going to take off road and beat up..for you what you may save up front on the crf you might spend on getting the suspension set up for your weight. The wr can also be lowered by an inch for free, but at 6' you should be fine.



r6realtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014