Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2013, 10:21 AM   #706
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,349
These guys say at least another year before R6 update to possible triple.

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...014/23121.html
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #707
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
For the love of god when is someone going to ride this damn thing?
I think Sept the 9th or so is the press launch over here.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:15 PM   #708
univibe88
Slidell4Life

Oddometer: 2,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post

BTW, in Texas now, you can't give any purchase price, even with bill of sale, that doesn't match their price guide lines when paying sales taxes. I paid more tax than my purchase price required on a bike, last year. No negotiation, "you owe us this much", period...
Same in Taxachusetts

"I like my ride plans like my women...loosely put together with a chance of getting wet."
univibe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:03 PM   #709
Sig_Sour
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
I've always had an eye for the FZ series of bikes for my first dedicated street bike especially the FZ8. Either way, if Yamaha did what Yamaha does then this engine should be tits. One could be salvaged from a FZ9 in the future and put into an offroad oriented frame, that could be quite the frankenbike. But I hope Yamaha beats any fabricators to the punch and does it themselves. If they put this triple 900 in a bike with any hint of offroad I'd be all over it...thinking XT900, XT900X, XTZ900. If the triple was worth it I'd easily give up some maintenance convenience for the performance advantages of the triple versus Yamaha's singles and twins. I'd think I had died and gone to heaven if I ever get news that Yamaha's gonna make something that bares a resemblance to a worthy Japanese response to KTM ADV bikes in the 900 class no less...and with a triple!?

Sig_Sour screwed with this post 07-30-2013 at 10:10 PM
Sig_Sour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:24 AM   #710
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
These guys say at least another year before R6 update to possible triple.

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...014/23121.html
The story, according to Kunihiko Miwa, was that the next generation triple sportbike would be unveiled at the next Intermot:

http://www.intermot-cologne.com/en/i...home/index.php

Which will be in 2014, so the current R6 will soldier on for one more year, the replacement, a 2015 MY bike will be unveiled at Intermot...

I say that's the R6 because the new R1 has already been spied on, and it's not a triple...

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...-r1-spy-shots/

http://www.iamabiker.com/motorcycle-...aught-testing/

Well, at least according to the photograph, who said it sounds like the crossplane I4.

It also makes sense that Yamaha is focusing more on a replacement R1 as it is the slowest literbike out ther, it doesn't even figure in WSBK or AMA SBK anymore. The current R6 is still doing pretty fine and remains the bike to beat.
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:29 PM   #711
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post

It also makes sense that Yamaha is focusing more on a replacement R1 as it is the slowest literbike out ther, it doesn't even figure in WSBK or AMA SBK anymore. The current R6 is still doing pretty fine and remains the bike to beat.
Ummm, there have been 9 AMA Superbike races this year. The R1 has won 8 of them. It's dominated for the last 4 years.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:54 PM   #712
20valves
Yamaholic

Oddometer: 437
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
It also makes sense that Yamaha is focusing more on a replacement R1 as it is the slowest literbike out ther, it doesn't even figure in WSBK or AMA SBK anymore.
WTF are you talking about? The x-plane crank R1 has been AMA superbike champion every year since it was introduced and it leads the points this season, positions 1 & 2. Yamaha doesn't even run in WSBK. Get your facts straight.

And this bench racing/magazine BS about it being slow is total hogwash.

20valves screwed with this post 07-31-2013 at 03:03 PM
20valves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:23 PM   #713
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,058
Rossi and Lorenzo have both won championships on the Yamaha R1 based bike, in MotoGP. Not the same bike for sure, but same design of crossplane crank...
tomp
Old 08-01-2013, 02:47 AM   #714
DFH
270 deg crank

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20valves View Post
WTF are you talking about? The x-plane crank R1 has been AMA superbike champion every year since it was introduced and it leads the points this season, positions 1 & 2. Yamaha doesn't even run in WSBK. Get your facts straight.

Bench racing? You're doing it now. AMA is a regional race series for modified bikes. As with most regional championships results are an indication of local distributor support & participation, not forgetting the nature of the localised rules, not of product merit. Opinions of magazine test bias become just hot air once you broaden your outlook & notice the consistency of opinion from around the world. Before your knickers end up in a twist I own a Yamaha sports bike that I am very fond of but I can recognise that its time as a cutting edge product is well past. Doesn't stop me from enjoying riding it though.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:09 AM   #715
20valves
Yamaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFH View Post
Bench racing? You're doing it now. AMA is a regional race series for modified bikes.
No, I'm speaking from experience on the track with other 1000cc bikes during track days. Amateur riders on mostly stock bikes and My '09 R1 was just as quick/fast as the other guys. And FYI, AMA is a national series and since all the bikes are modded, it's just an incorrect statement to say the bike doesn't figure in racing. The year the bike came out it won the WSBK championship and continued to win races there until Yam dropped out. Liter bike sales are way down here in the states and elsewhere too so maybe the days of the bike being overhauled every two years are long gone. The R6 is far less fresh than the R1 with the current R6 tracing all the way back to 2006.

Anyway, I tend to agree that the R1 will remain an IL4. I can't wait to see and ride this FZ-09 though, looks like it will be a Japanese 3cyl Monster. I wish it held more gas though.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #716
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,449
Cycle World article

Latest CW has a short article on the FZ-09. I test rode a Street Triple at Americade a few years back, and thought it was great. About the same weight as the SV650 I had at the time, and also same weight as my daughter's ER-6n, but with 40 more HP. Now Yamaha trumps that, for less money. I haven't had a Yamaha in a while...................

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #717
DFH
270 deg crank

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
And FYI, AMA is a national series and since all the bikes are modded, it's just an incorrect statement to say the bike doesn't figure in racing.
National championships run under localised rules rather than international rules are by definition regionalised.

My hope is that one day the national championships around the world will be run under the same technical rules, preferably something akin to SuperStock. Why? Almost all of the WSBK greats got their first outings as wildcards in the home legs of the world series but these days its impossible for local teams or riders to enter as wildcards as all the relevant championships ASBK, BSB, AMA & the relevant Asian & Euro championships have wandered off like browns cows technically.

BTW the closest we have to comparing street bikes as race bikes on a level playing field is World SuperStock & its plain as the nose on my face that the R1 is a generation behind the Aprilia, Ducati & BMW litre bikes & even a half step behind the Honda & Kawasaki Litre bikes as well.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #718
20valves
Yamaholic

Quote:
National championships run under localised rules rather than international rules are by definition regionalised.
Ok, split hairs, nations are located in different regions of the world. It's a distinction without a difference. But yeah, it'd be nice to have a standardized superbike format worldwide.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #719
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
Rossi and Lorenzo have both won championships on the Yamaha R1 based bike, in MotoGP. Not the same bike for sure, but same design of crossplane crank...
tomp
You know how I know you don't have a clue?

Quote:

BTW the closest we have to comparing street bikes as race bikes on a level playing field is World SuperStock & its plain as the nose on my face that the R1 is a generation behind the Aprilia, Ducati & BMW litre bikes & even a half step behind the Honda & Kawasaki Litre bikes as well.
This guy gets it.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #720
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

Brain fart, I don't follow AMA SBK and Yamaha pulled the plug on WSBK after three unsuccessful seasons with the crossplane R1.

Süsser Tod screwed with this post 08-05-2013 at 07:27 PM