ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road Warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 11:03 AM   #571
Randy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Randy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Newnan, GA USA
Oddometer: 2,451
Is fuel economy a consideration? It's never been to me personally, since I ride for fun, not economy. But I know that for some people it is important. I have no idea what sort of mileage figures the V-Max delivers, but my Sportster gets about 54 mpg when ridden "normally" on back roads (65 mph average), and around 48 mpg when I wring its neck (hard acceleration and revs in the twisties).
__________________
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:37 PM   #572
rudk
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Oddometer: 97
Ran into a group of Harley riders at a service area a couple of weeks ago. Most of them on Electra or Street Glides. Never gave a second thought about Harleys lately, been riding sportbikes, supermotos/enduros the last 15 years, but two of the Street Glides, customized with taste, where looking COMPLETELY BADASS, especially one with a Matte black paintjob, and really got me into thinking to sell my two bikes and get myself a Street Glide.

Here's a couple of pics:













Anyway, the next week I called a couple of dealers, asked for a test ride and made appointments. The Street Glide was great, too bad at 6' the BatWings/mini windscreen produced so much buzz and buffeting which ruled it out for me.

I also took a spin on a Fat Boy Lo - drove it about 1 mile, turned around, rode back, gave back the key and thanked the dealer for the ride. I found the riding position pretty unbearable, putting yourself into an completely unnatural riding posture, like sitting on a too low chair with the rear chairlegs about to break, the forward positioned feet on the floorboards locked into one position (I have shoesize 13) by the rear shifter etc. etc.

As I was at it, I also test rode a 1200 Sportster Custom. Except for the forward mounted footpegs which drag on every occasion, especially on the right side, in terms of "vibe" from the engine, chassis/handling I liked it the best.

The Street Glide looks badass, though.
rudk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:07 PM   #573
UnsureFooting
Title of User Here
 
UnsureFooting's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 6,548
For YOU it was unnatural. For ME it feels unnatural to be in some sort of modified yoga ball whilst riding a motorcycle. FWIW, I'm 6'2, and on the 2013 electra glide/road glide/road king my legs are bent at about 90-95, with my knees and hips about level.

The fat boy low, however, is more stretched out, but not as much as the Dyna fat Bob, which is, IMO, the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden.
__________________
Because so much is riding on your tires.
UnsureFooting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:14 PM   #574
sixspeed
15 under Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Exiled from the land of gum bands & bottle of pop
Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudk View Post
Ran into a group of Harley riders at a service area a couple of weeks ago. Most of them on Electra or Street Glides. Never gave a second thought about Harleys lately, been riding sportbikes, supermotos/enduros the last 15 years, but two of the Street Glides, customized with taste, where looking COMPLETELY BADASS, especially one with a Matte black paintjob, and really got me into thinking to sell my two bikes and get myself a Street Glide.

Here's a couple of pics:













Anyway, the next week I called a couple of dealers, asked for a test ride and made appointments. The Street Glide was great, too bad at 6' the BatWings/mini windscreen produced so much buzz and buffeting which ruled it out for me.

I also took a spin on a Fat Boy Lo - drove it about 1 mile, turned around, rode back, gave back the key and thanked the dealer for the ride. I found the riding position pretty unbearable, putting yourself into an completely unnatural riding posture, like sitting on a too low chair with the rear chairlegs about to break, the forward positioned feet on the floorboards locked into one position (I have shoesize 13) by the rear shifter etc. etc.

As I was at it, I also test rode a 1200 Sportster Custom. Except for the forward mounted footpegs which drag on every occasion, especially on the right side, in terms of "vibe" from the engine, chassis/handling I liked it the best.

The Street Glide looks badass, though.
If you're a taller guy and are still thinking hog you might want to try out a Harley police bike. The FLHTP Police EG and FLHP Road Kink sit normal height and have (arguably) the best seat on a Harley, the air/spring police solo seat.

I wouldn't be surprised if the dealer wouldn't remove the heel shifter for a test ride if you asked him, so that you could get a feel of the bike without it. Love or hate HD's, Harley dealers are the most accommodating of any brand when it comes to test rides.
__________________
"Life is like a mountain railway, with an engineer that's brave..."

Rob 2010 WR250R 2011 FLHP
sixspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #575
UnsureFooting
Title of User Here
 
UnsureFooting's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 6,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixspeed View Post
If you're a taller guy and are still thinking hog you might want to try out a Harley police bike. The FLHTP Police EG and FLHP Road Kink sit normal height and have (arguably) the best seat on a Harley, the air/spring police solo seat.

I wouldn't be surprised if the dealer wouldn't remove the heel shifter for a test ride if you asked him, so that you could get a feel of the bike without it. Love or hate HD's, Harley dealers are the most accommodating of any brand when it comes to test rides.
Don't forget the demo truck!
__________________
Because so much is riding on your tires.
UnsureFooting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #576
sixspeed
15 under Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Exiled from the land of gum bands & bottle of pop
Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsureFooting View Post
Don't forget the demo truck!
I give them credit, they'll pretty much just about let anybody take out anything out for a demo ride.

And maybe I'm lucky (or blessed) but I've never run into a pushy saleshole at a HD dealer that tried to push me into a bike I didn't want or didn't fit me.
__________________
"Life is like a mountain railway, with an engineer that's brave..."

Rob 2010 WR250R 2011 FLHP
sixspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:42 PM   #577
Randy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Randy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Newnan, GA USA
Oddometer: 2,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixspeed View Post
I give them credit, they'll pretty much just about let anybody take out anything out for a demo ride.

And maybe I'm lucky (or blessed) but I've never run into a pushy saleshole at a HD dealer that tried to push me into a bike I didn't want or didn't fit me.
I actually have very limited experience with HD dealerships. But, the one time that I did wonder into one and see a bike I actually liked, the salesman actually offered me a test ride on his own, without me even inquiring. I wasn't even in there with any idea of buying a bike. Me, and the then future MrsRandy just wondered in on a lark to kill some time. But, a few days later I went back and took that test ride. I actually rode two bikes that day. They ended up not making a sale, but it did make me want one. Then a month or so later my fiance bought me the bike I wanted as a surprise Christmas gift from a dealer that was closer to me than the one that I took the test ride at. So, while that dealer and salesman didn't get anything out of it, HD's policy did sell a bike. I never even dreamed I'd want a Harley until I took that test ride. And, I agree, there was no pressure at all while there either time. They didn't try to steer me onto another bike. Just offered, and later gave me a ride on the bike I liked.
__________________
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:09 AM   #578
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer
 
Mambo Dave's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: 11 ft. AMSL
Oddometer: 5,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
I actually have very limited experience with HD dealerships. But, the one time that I did wonder into one and see a bike I actually liked, the salesman actually offered me a test ride on his own, without me even inquiring. I wasn't even in there with any idea of buying a bike. Me, and the then future MrsRandy just wondered in on a lark to kill some time. But, a few days later I went back and took that test ride. I actually rode two bikes that day. They ended up not making a sale, but it did make me want one. Then a month or so later my fiance bought me the bike I wanted as a surprise Christmas gift from a dealer that was closer to me than the one that I took the test ride at. So, while that dealer and salesman didn't get anything out of it, HD's policy did sell a bike. I never even dreamed I'd want a Harley until I took that test ride. And, I agree, there was no pressure at all while there either time. They didn't try to steer me onto another bike. Just offered, and later gave me a ride on the bike I liked.
From a salesman's perspective, that's a load of shit.

He spent the time with ya and treated ya right, so now he works for corporate Harley?
__________________
"After reading through this thread I've come to the conclusion
that more people cruise the internet looking for reasons why
X bike won't work in Y scenario rather than actually riding
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:21 AM   #579
Bloodweiser
honestly
 
Bloodweiser's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: way over yonder in the minor key
Oddometer: 2,628
The salesmen at the dealership around me don't work on commission.
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:40 AM   #580
John K.
Adventurer
 
John K.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Arkansas
Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodweiser View Post
The salesmen at the dealership around me don't work on commission.
Is this standard practice for Harley or just that one dealership?
John K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:47 AM   #581
Randy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Randy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Newnan, GA USA
Oddometer: 2,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
From a salesman's perspective, that's a load of shit.

He spent the time with ya and treated ya right, so now he works for corporate Harley?
Well, yeah. I understand that and I don't like to waste a salesman's time either. But, I was Houston at the time, and I live in Georgia. He knew that from the get go. I wasn't planning for my fiance to later surprise me with a bike either. And then there's the fact that yeah, I'm sure he gets paid for his time somehow. I was the only new bike customer in the place that day, and he was just sitting around doing nothing when I came back in anyway. It's not like I took him away from another customer, or that he lost a potential sale because he was helping me. I don't see it as any different from any other person that comes in looking around, taking a salesman's time, and then buying something else. I used to be a car salesman for a while in college. Regardless of whether or not you get paid on commision, you still spend more time helping people that you don't sell to than you do the ones that actually buy from you. It's just part of the job.

It just so happens that my fiance knew I loved that bike and decided to surprise me with one for Christmas. She did the natural thing in selecting my local dealership to arrange the purchase through so they could deliver it to me.
__________________
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:57 AM   #582
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: I forget
Oddometer: 979
Test rides, ftw

Whatever Harley is paying for their test-ride liability insurance, it pays off...

My story is kinda like Randy's. I went into a Harley shop for the first time to see the XR1200 a few years ago. Sat on it, thought it was interesting. Winter, so no chance to ride it.

Came back in the spring and I was immediately offered a test ride. I took it, enjoyed it. Came back later, test rode some other Harleys. Enjoyed them. I told the salesman: I'm not buying anything for months....just kicking tires. They said: No problem, try one anytime you want. No pressure, ever.

At the same time I did some looking at Honda/BMW/Yamaha/Guzzi dealers. Almost always the same line: SO YOU WANNA BUY TODAY? When I said, no, I'm not buying anything for months. I was ignored. Never once offered a test ride, even when I asked. BWM dealerships (two) were the worst. Flat out: Nope. No test rides. Most of the multi-line dealers seemed to rotate their 19 year old sales staff thru every few months.

So I rented a BMW RT for along weekend. Liked it, didn't love it.

Months after looking, I bought: New Road Glide Ultra, off the showroom floor.

It's unlikely Harley would have made the sale had they not gotten me interested. I never liked Harleys, I still chuckle at the ass-less chaps and do-rag set, but I'm sure they chuckle at me in my hi-viz yellow jacket. Love the bike btw. Nothing but oil and gas and one new rear tire in 24,000 miles.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:21 AM   #583
Randy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Randy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Newnan, GA USA
Oddometer: 2,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeeater View Post
Whatever Harley is paying for their test-ride liability insurance, it pays off...

My story is kinda like Randy's. I went into a Harley shop for the first time to see the XR1200 a few years ago. Sat on it, thought it was interesting. Winter, so no chance to ride it.

Came back in the spring and I was immediately offered a test ride. I took it, enjoyed it. Came back later, test rode some other Harleys. Enjoyed them. I told the salesman: I'm not buying anything for months....just kicking tires. They said: No problem, try one anytime you want. No pressure, ever.

At the same time I did some looking at Honda/BMW/Yamaha/Guzzi dealers. Almost always the same line: SO YOU WANNA BUY TODAY? When I said, no, I'm not buying anything for months. I was ignored. Never once offered a test ride, even when I asked. BWM dealerships (two) were the worst. Flat out: Nope. No test rides. Most of the multi-line dealers seemed to rotate their 19 year old sales staff thru every few months.

So I rented a BMW RT for along weekend. Liked it, didn't love it.

Months after looking, I bought: New Road Glide Ultra, off the showroom floor.

It's unlikely Harley would have made the sale had they not gotten me interested. I never liked Harleys, I still chuckle at the ass-less chaps and do-rag set, but I'm sure they chuckle at me in my hi-viz yellow jacket. Love the bike btw. Nothing but oil and gas and one new rear tire in 24,000 miles.

Cakeeater
Good story. Similar to mine in a few ways. I was NEVER a Harley buyer. I just happened into that place one night because it was right behind a restaurant drive-thru that we went through to get some tea. Just a sorta, "what the hell" moment. But I saw the 48 for the first time there, and as we stood there looking at it, it started growing on me. Then over the next couple of days and nights I kept thinking about that bike, and his offer at a test ride. I'd never ridden a Harley before. When I went for that first ride, I fully expected to hate it, actually. I was very surprised to find myself enjoying it. After that, I couldn't get that bike out of my mind, and my perceptions of riding a Harley changed. If they hadn't offered that test ride I would have never bought a Harley due to my preconceptions and prejudice against them. And no, my thoughts on the "lifestyle" and pirate gear hasn't changed either...
__________________
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:33 AM   #584
harfooz
FJR1300 / FLHX
 
harfooz's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: South Carolina
Oddometer: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudk View Post

[ ... ]

Anyway, the next week I called a couple of dealers, asked for a test ride and made appointments. The Street Glide was great, too bad at 6' the BatWings/mini windscreen produced so much buzz and buffeting which ruled it out for me.

[ ... ]
I completely agree with what you say about the FLHX in stock form. Add the wind deflectors that attach to the lower edge of the batwing, and swap out the windshield for any one of the hundreds that offer a more custom fit, and you're set.

I swapped my stock FLHX windshield for a V-Stream 7.25" in dark smoke and the buffeting issue is pretty much solved. Also installed the fixed (non-adjustable) wings that attach to the lower edge of the fairing.

Helmets can affect the buffeting too.

A seat change might be in order for a taller person as well. I run the recent "low" FLHX stocker when it's just me, and the recent "low" Ultra stock seat two-up. For a really long day of riding, I'll put on the Hammock seat that came with the bike when I bought it.

'fooz
__________________
'05 Yamaha FJR1300
'09 Harley-Davidson FLHX Street Glide
harfooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:41 AM   #585
GREGRIDES
n00b
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Salt Lake City
Oddometer: 8
HD - Why Not?

Hey--none of us are getting any younger, right? Rent one, if you like the ride, buy one. You don't want to be 70, kicking yourself about never riding or owning a Harley, especially such a nice one!
GREGRIDES is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015