ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 06:22 PM   #1441
RWBWheel
Gnarly Adventurer
 
RWBWheel's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Pacific Northwest-Everett Wa.
Oddometer: 123
Chain advive

Hi all,
I just replaced my front 530 and used the clip type master that the orig had...was this a mistake?
Cleaned rear in kerosene and looks new- went to replace with new masterlink-snap-on style like it had on it..
went 100 feet and threw the chain..do you all prefer to use rivited masters or is there a secret to putting on the snap style links that I am missing?
Any input form you more experiencd guys? i'd like to hear your input..
the video i watched on installing rivet style says to micrometer the pin dia. when installing ....
RWBWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:14 PM   #1442
Shercoman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Pine,Colorado
Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBWheel View Post
Hi all,
I just replaced my front 530 and used the clip type master that the orig had...was this a mistake?
Cleaned rear in kerosene and looks new- went to replace with new masterlink-snap-on style like it had on it..
went 100 feet and threw the chain..do you all prefer to use rivited masters or is there a secret to putting on the snap style links that I am missing?
Any input form you more experiencd guys? i'd like to hear your input..
the video i watched on installing rivet style says to micrometer the pin dia. when installing ....
I have been riding off road for 44 years and have never had a clip type master link come off or fail.

They must be the right clip for the chain,put on correctly verifying that the closed end of the clip is facing forward to the direction of chain travel and the clip must be in the grooves on the pins.
the clip must not be free to move around when "snapped" in place. If it is loose,it is sprung open or incorrect for the chain.
Any of these are not correct and you might lose it.

You did not say if you broke the chain (came apart) or if you simply threw it off the sprockets.
If it came apart at the master link,one of the items above was not correct. If it stayed in one piece but came off the sprockets,you have an alignment and guide problem.
After tensioning your chain,get down behind it and sight down the chain. You can clearly see if it's not straight.

I don't care much for riveted links because if you don't have the proper tools to deform the end of the pin to the proper shape and size, it will come apart.
On very high horsepower street bikes they are recommended because they are ultimately stronger IF installed correctly.
I don't think our BW's fall under the "high horsepower" category.
Shercoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:31 PM   #1443
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b
 
Mr. BigWheel's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: South central Alaska
Oddometer: 748
It is usually pretty difficult to misalign the 530(front) sprockets. I would have to guess that the chain came apart.

Was the chain an O-ring style?

If it is an O-ring, then that makes it a little bit harder to get the plate pushed down on the pins so the clip can slide into it's slot on the pins. There are fancy tools that make the installation easier or you can just use a pair of vice grips and a nut that has an I.D. that is larger than the pin.

You just have to be careful that you don't press the plate on too tightly or the seals will be crushed and a tight link will be the result.
__________________
The BigWheel channel - Home of the self-aggrandizing Enduro Alaska videos:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MisterBigWheel?feature=mhum
Mr. BigWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #1444
RWBWheel
Gnarly Adventurer
 
RWBWheel's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Pacific Northwest-Everett Wa.
Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. BigWheel View Post
It is usually pretty difficult to misalign the 530(front) sprockets. I would have to guess that the chain came apart.

Was the chain an O-ring style?

If it is an O-ring, then that makes it a little bit harder to get the plate pushed down on the pins so the clip can slide into it's slot on the pins. There are fancy tools that make the installation easier or you can just use a pair of vice grips and a nut that has an I.D. that is larger than the pin.

You just have to be careful that you don't press the plate on too tightly or the seals will be crushed and a tight link will be the result.
The front 530 I replaced with an o-ring like stock.
rear is the 520 non -o ring chain and maybe the shop sold me wrong master? all 520 i assume would have same size pins ? regardless of manufacturer?
RWBWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:36 PM   #1445
Shercoman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Pine,Colorado
Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBWheel View Post
The front 530 I replaced with an o-ring like stock.
rear is the 520 non -o ring chain and maybe the shop sold me wrong master? all 520 i assume would have same size pins ? regardless of manufacturer?
Not necessarily.Mr.BW is right.If you are mixing o-ring chain parts with non o-ring or something funky,you may not have a matching master for your chain.
Did the master link come apart? Is that why your chain came off?

If so I imagine the parts are lost.
The key is that the clip,when installed is in the grooves on the pins and tight.It it moves around or is loose it will come off easily.
Installed properly,it should take pliers or a bump from behind with a screwdriver to get the clip back off.You should not be able to wiggle it or move it around with your fingers.It should be tight.
Shercoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #1446
RWBWheel
Gnarly Adventurer
 
RWBWheel's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Pacific Northwest-Everett Wa.
Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shercoman View Post
Not necessarily.Mr.BW is right.If you are mixing o-ring chain parts with non o-ring or something funky,you may not have a matching master for your chain.
Did the master link come apart? Is that why your chain came off?

If so I imagine the parts are lost.
The key is that the clip,when installed is in the grooves on the pins and tight.It it moves around or is loose it will come off easily.
Installed properly,it should take pliers or a bump from behind with a screwdriver to get the clip back off.You should not be able to wiggle it or move it around with your fingers.It should be tight.
The rear chain was being cleaned and re-installed- purchased new master link at non-Yam. shop. clip-style- not o-ring as on front..I think I must have done one of your items wrong, I know it was in correct dirrection. Yes it failed at the master and could not find any of the parts..Of course the tool box and bag of extra links were 40 miles away at home..live and learn..
i wouldnt expect to swap 520 / 530 parts but shouldn't all 520 master links be the same?? or only a Yammie link on a yammie chain? / renthal link on renthal chain? Etc..
RWBWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:13 AM   #1447
Shercoman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Pine,Colorado
Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBWheel View Post
The rear chain was being cleaned and re-installed- purchased new master link at non-Yam. shop. clip-style- not o-ring as on front..I think I must have done one of your items wrong, I know it was in correct dirrection. Yes it failed at the master and could not find any of the parts..Of course the tool box and bag of extra links were 40 miles away at home..live and learn..
i wouldnt expect to swap 520 / 530 parts but shouldn't all 520 master links be the same?? or only a Yammie link on a yammie chain? / renthal link on renthal chain? Etc..
All 520 master links are not the same.Although the pitch (.625) and width (.250-inside) are the same,the actual dimensions of the parts can be different.
You should use the master designed for the chain unless you are 10 miles from the truck and your buddy has one that will work well enough to get you home.
The main thing is to get the clip on correctly and make sure it's tight when installed.
The open end of the clip should look the same installed on the chain as it does when laying in your hand.
The open end of the clip should be just as close together when installed.
If I were to guess at what happened I would say the clip was correct on the leading pin and not in the groove correctly on the trailing pin.With a little movement the clip turned and then fell off.I know this is possible as I have done it myself.
Shercoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:00 PM   #1448
vroom_vroom
screaming chicken
 
vroom_vroom's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: las vegas,nv
Oddometer: 66
The big wheel attracts lots of attention when you take it out in public. Few people up at cave lake had to tell me how cool it was.

__________________
gritos pollo!!

'86 Bw 200
vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:31 AM   #1449
Shercoman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Pine,Colorado
Oddometer: 457
Very cool!!!
Shercoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #1450
greg24
Adventurer
 
greg24's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: lewiston idaho
Oddometer: 17
chains on 85 bw200

maybe some one can answer a question on the primary (short chain) is this a o-ring style chain an on the 2ndary (long chain) a standard 520 chain. if you where to replace the sprockets where is good place to buy them
__________________
greg24
greg24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #1451
BigWheelCort
n00b
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Oddometer: 2
New guy here.

I had a neighbor growing up who had a BW80 when I was a kid, and I was always insanely jealous of him and vowed to myself that "one day" it would be mine. Well, I'm 30 now, and the day has come.

I've got a BW200 that I recently picked up off Ebay after I saw it for sale in this thread, and being a lurker, jumped on the chance for such a clean BW.

That being said. I've never owned a dirt bike. I've never owned a motorcycle. So this is my crash course in learning. I live in a pretty nice place with tons of private property around that I can drive it on, and I'm learning more and more everyday.

I'm also a pretty big tuner/car guy. I've built several cars in the past that have won awards at car shows, and I understand the principles of "it will treat you right if you do the same to it". My current other toy car is a 1985 Volkswagen GTi, and I have done quite a bit of modifications to it as well, and plan on taking the Big Wheel with me to car shows and playing around with it there.

Now, I know I'm going to start modifying the BW. I'm a HUGE fan of lowering cars, and there is quite a scene down here in Texas with Ruckus modifying. I know these tires are ATV tires, so I was wondering if anyone has put on the skinny drag radial style tires on the BW and seeing what it would look like lowered to the ground? I'm more of a slow and low on the street type person, than a off road in the dirt and forests kinda person.

Here's a pic of what I've got.



and



Here's the style tires I'm talking about



from this



Please excuse me if this is thought of as sacreligious.
BigWheelCort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:40 PM   #1452
BWSwamper
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Boggy Lowlands of Carolina
Oddometer: 178
DOT Tires in BW sizes

BigWheelCort:

The bike seems to be in pretty good shape.

Check out these tires. They are available in the required sizes.

http://www.pureoffroad.com/gbc_after..._atv_tires.htm

You are going to need at least a little curve in the tire profile or you are going to have some funky steering effects.
BWSwamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:14 AM   #1453
Gladly
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Gladly's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Whitehorse, YT
Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWheelCort View Post
I've never owned a dirt bike. I've never owned a motorcycle. So this is my crash course in learning.


Here's the style tires I'm talking about




Please excuse me if this is thought of as sacreligious.
I don't think that sacreligious is the thought, but uniformed might be. a motorcycle tire needs to have a curved profile, as they lean over when turning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWSwamper View Post

Check out these tires. They are available in the required sizes.

http://www.pureoffroad.com/gbc_after..._atv_tires.htm

()

You are going to need at least a little curve in the tire profile or you are going to have some funky steering effects.
that would work nicely, and may give something close to the look you're seeking, while still maintaining a reasonable level of rideability
__________________
'03 XR400R
Gladly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #1454
BWSwamper
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Boggy Lowlands of Carolina
Oddometer: 178
Street tired BW

If you do this, we are going to need to select an official term - "MoWheel" or "Bigtard" as suggested earlier on this thread by RWBwheel.

BWSwamper screwed with this post 08-08-2013 at 11:52 AM
BWSwamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #1455
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b
 
Mr. BigWheel's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: South central Alaska
Oddometer: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg24 View Post
maybe some one can answer a question on the primary (short chain) is this a o-ring style chain an on the 2ndary (long chain) a standard 520 chain. if you where to replace the sprockets where is good place to buy them
The chains can be either O-ring or standard for both the primary and secondary. As Sixpepper voiced recently on the Yahoo group forum:



alt="Click here to join YAMAHABIGWHEELS">
Click to join YAMAHABIGWHEELS



He prefers to run non-O ring chains because of the increase in drag that the o-ring chains cause. However, he also keeps out of the mudholes these days. If your riding is in dry dusty conditions, then standard chains would suffice. I run O-ring chains on the primary and secondary because paying too much for parts is just my style.

The rear sprocket is #23 in this diagram:

http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oem...aa7/rear-wheel

Counter shaft sprocket #25:

http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oem...aa7/rear-wheel

The two jackshaft sprockets #20 and #21:

http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oem...aa7/rear-wheel

Yamaha still seems to have all of the sprockets in stock for the 200. Unfortunately, the 350 has run out of countershaft and 37 tooth secondary sprockets. Yamaha would be the simplest to order from but JT sprockets http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/model/6373
and SunStar make sprockets that fit the BWs. The aftermarket companies also have a range of sizes in case you want to change your ratios.

My suggestion would be to buy a spare for all of these parts while they are still in stock. Add a chaincase for the secondary to your order and do your part to help the economy.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
__________________
The BigWheel channel - Home of the self-aggrandizing Enduro Alaska videos:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MisterBigWheel?feature=mhum
Mr. BigWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014