ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 09:33 AM   #17026
SR
Studly Adventurer
 
SR's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Western, Mexico
Oddometer: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
On the right, kind of looks like Hector
It's not Hector. Although Hector Sr. was there. Hector, Miguel, and myself rode out there from DGO city and happened to run into the ATV guys there, along with Jorge, who just bought the DRZ. Jorge is on the right path, by ditching the ATV and going with two wheels, but all his buddies still ride ATVs, so the transition will be a little harder.

SR screwed with this post 08-05-2013 at 02:39 PM
SR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:41 AM   #17027
SR
Studly Adventurer
 
SR's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Western, Mexico
Oddometer: 969



Someone just put up some photos of the Macaws. They are very neat to see. They make a lot of racket. Squawking loud all day long.




A nicer photo the waterfall.


Rainy season!

SR screwed with this post 08-05-2013 at 02:40 PM
SR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:28 AM   #17028
jimmex
Rider
 
jimmex's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: West Texas
Oddometer: 2,150
Beautiful; can't wait to get back down there.
__________________
Guero from Texas
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:44 AM   #17029
slowoldguy
Tire Tester
 
slowoldguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: West of Waco, Texas
Oddometer: 7,989
Really sweet. What is that wet stuff called again? Oh, yeah. Water. We don't have any in our creeks and damn little in our rivers and lakes.

Talked to thelawnguy81 and its looking like late November for the nephews' and their old uncle's next week in Mexico. That should be good weather wise, right?

Probably same general area for us as last year, just maybe moving the box a little north to get in the mountains earlier. Saltillo forming northern boundary and a bit south of Jalpan the southern. But whatever they pick is what we'll do. They don't need me as much as I need them. lol

I have toyed with getting a different bike or taking my KLR but I will just leave the metal bags at home and pack half as much shit on the GS Adventure. If I can't ride it on that I probably shouldn't be riding it.

Expect my annual onslaught of pm's to begin soon asking for advice. ;)
__________________
RTB V- The Texas ADV Rally- Hurry before we fuck this up!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
"If you can't fix it with a hammer you can damn sure teach it a lesson".
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #17030
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer
 
MikeMike's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: South east Mexico
Oddometer: 3,913
SR, great pics, !
Nice waterfall.

In all fairness to Trice, I've heard he has great taste in wine.
Let's all get together and introduce to him to the marvels, wonders, and mystique of the cornerstone of Mexican wines...Padre Kino!

But maybe he's not ready, yet. The Padre Kino and cheese tasting experience could be a nice little fiesta at the Seal Club. I'll have to run it by the owner and GM. I've been demoted to "not allowed to touch the single malts, again, until further notice".
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #17031
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso
 
tricepilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 8,061
Hector Sr is throwing tons more photos up on Facebook of that waterfall - and a team rappeling down to the pool.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:10 PM   #17032
mark883
Holding up Michoagán
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Buckeyeland
Oddometer: 1,557
Don't ride your motorbike to Cincinnati, they shoot first, ask questions later.
Its not safe.

Ohio police say store clerk kills man in helmet

Published:
CINCINNATI (AP) -- Police in Cincinnati are trying to determine what happened in the moments before a fatal shot was fired by a store clerk who said he believed he was being robbed by a man wearing a motorcycle helmet.
The Cincinnati Enquirer reports (http://cin.ci/184HI3k) that police don't believe Omar Magdy Abouelalla had a weapon. The 22-year-old man rode his motorcycle to the supermarket and was wearing his helmet when he went inside.
The LM&N Unlimited Supermarket clerk called 911 at 8:46 p.m. Sunday to report that he shot a man inside the store, police said. Abouelalla was dead at the scene, police said. The Hamilton County coroner said he died of a single gunshot wound to the chest, but didn't immediately release any other information.
Police interviewed the clerk and reviewed store surveillance video Monday. The 32-year-old clerk's name wasn't immediately released.
"We are not sure of the facts yet," police Lt. Michael Savard said.
The Hamilton County coroner said Monday that Aboudelalla died of a single gunshot wound to the chest.
Police said they were keeping in communication with the Hamilton County prosecutor's office as they continued their investigation into the shooting, in the Pleasant Ridge neighborhood in the city's northeast.
"We just have to get as much information as possible before making a decision," Prosecutor Joe Deters said. He said a decision on any charges in the case will probably come by the end of this week.
A black tarp covered the store's entrance Monday and a note said it was closed for the day.


http://www.crescent-news.com/ap%20st...-man-in-helmet
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:36 PM   #17033
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo
 
Turkeycreek's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Banámichi, Sonora, Mexico
Oddometer: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Let's all get together and introduce to him to the marvels, wonders, and mystique of the cornerstone of Mexican wines...Padre Kino!
Padre Kino wine is the perfect wine when you need a decent looking glass carafe for water, ice tea or lemonade. They are also great for storing chiltipins or marbles. The wine pours easily down the drain, does not stain your sink and won't hurt the pipes. I believe it is OK in most public and private sewer systems as long as the quantities are not too great. Any residual wine washes easily out of the carafe and a bit of baking soda removes any lingering remnants. I highly recommend it.
__________________
Mexico - Dream, Discover, Ride
Hotel Los Arcos, Northern Sonora's Motorcycle Haven
http://www.losarcossonora.com
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #17034
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo
 
Turkeycreek's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Banámichi, Sonora, Mexico
Oddometer: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
Don't ride your motorbike to Cincinnati, they shoot first, ask questions later.
Its not safe.

Ohio police say store clerk kills man in helmet

Published:
CINCINNATI (AP) -- Police in Cincinnati are trying to determine what happened in the moments before a fatal shot was fired by a store clerk who said he believed he was being robbed by a man wearing a motorcycle helmet.
The Cincinnati Enquirer reports (http://cin.ci/184HI3k) that police don't believe Omar Magdy Abouelalla had a weapon. The 22-year-old man rode his motorcycle to the supermarket and was wearing his helmet when he went inside.
The LM&N Unlimited Supermarket clerk called 911 at 8:46 p.m. Sunday to report that he shot a man inside the store, police said. Abouelalla was dead at the scene, police said. The Hamilton County coroner said he died of a single gunshot wound to the chest, but didn't immediately release any other information.
Police interviewed the clerk and reviewed store surveillance video Monday. The 32-year-old clerk's name wasn't immediately released.
"We are not sure of the facts yet," police Lt. Michael Savard said.
The Hamilton County coroner said Monday that Aboudelalla died of a single gunshot wound to the chest.
Police said they were keeping in communication with the Hamilton County prosecutor's office as they continued their investigation into the shooting, in the Pleasant Ridge neighborhood in the city's northeast.
"We just have to get as much information as possible before making a decision," Prosecutor Joe Deters said. He said a decision on any charges in the case will probably come by the end of this week.
A black tarp covered the store's entrance Monday and a note said it was closed for the day.


http://www.crescent-news.com/ap%20st...-man-in-helmet
More fuel for the anti-helmet people
__________________
Mexico - Dream, Discover, Ride
Hotel Los Arcos, Northern Sonora's Motorcycle Haven
http://www.losarcossonora.com
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #17035
George 99
Studly Adventurer
 
George 99's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Kingman, Arizona
Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
Don't ride your motorbike to Cincinnati, they shoot first, ask questions later.
Its not safe.

Ohio police say store clerk kills man in helmet

Published:
CINCINNATI (AP) -- Police in Cincinnati are trying to determine what happened in the moments before a fatal shot was fired by a store clerk who said he believed he was being robbed by a man wearing a motorcycle helmet.
The Cincinnati Enquirer reports (http://cin.ci/184HI3k) that police don't believe Omar Magdy Abouelalla had a weapon. The 22-year-old man rode his motorcycle to the supermarket and was wearing his helmet when he went inside.
The LM&N Unlimited Supermarket clerk called 911 at 8:46 p.m. Sunday to report that he shot a man inside the store, police said. Abouelalla was dead at the scene, police said. The Hamilton County coroner said he died of a single gunshot wound to the chest, but didn't immediately release any other information.
Police interviewed the clerk and reviewed store surveillance video Monday. The 32-year-old clerk's name wasn't immediately released.
"We are not sure of the facts yet," police Lt. Michael Savard said.
The Hamilton County coroner said Monday that Aboudelalla died of a single gunshot wound to the chest.
Police said they were keeping in communication with the Hamilton County prosecutor's office as they continued their investigation into the shooting, in the Pleasant Ridge neighborhood in the city's northeast.
"We just have to get as much information as possible before making a decision," Prosecutor Joe Deters said. He said a decision on any charges in the case will probably come by the end of this week.
A black tarp covered the store's entrance Monday and a note said it was closed for the day.


http://www.crescent-news.com/ap%20st...-man-in-helmet
This is scary? I lived in Cinci for ~8 years and never got shot at. Now I have a flip-front helmet and leave it on a lot when I shop. But I don't live in Cinci anymore either.

I'll pay close attention next time I'm there in search of Skyline Chili.

(On the Mexico thoughts: Just bought a DRZ400E and adding appropriate farkles for ADV. I'll be back in Mexico and points south soon enuff.)
__________________
George
Sometimes in Kingman, Arizona
George 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #17036
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso
 
tricepilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 8,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by George 99 View Post
On the Mexico thoughts: Just bought a DRZ400E and adding appropriate farkles for ADV. I'll be back in Mexico and points south soon enuff.
If you want a wild ride, you should get prepared to ride that thing in the Sierra Madre next June from Durango to Mazatlán off road.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:01 PM   #17037
SR
Studly Adventurer
 
SR's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Western, Mexico
Oddometer: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Beautiful; can't wait to get back down there.
Hope to see you down here. This place would be a very nice day ride from DGO city. A big DS bike could easily do it. It's about 150 km SW of town, on about half paved and half gravel roads.

But yesterday we took Miguel's "alternative route" there. Miguel programs his routes in Google Earth and always looks for the most challenging route he can find from point A'-B'. He has an utter contempt for flat, smooth, well marked, commonly traveled roads. If it appears on a map, he will avoid it. So we ended up on a maze of logging roads that looked like they hadn't been used in half a century. We even got some nice single track!


This place was probably logged back in the 1950s


Miguel getting a running start "con vuelo"

SR screwed with this post 08-05-2013 at 02:54 PM
SR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:17 PM   #17038
SR
Studly Adventurer
 
SR's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Western, Mexico
Oddometer: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by George 99 View Post
(On the Mexico thoughts: Just bought a DRZ400E and adding appropriate farkles for ADV. I'll be back in Mexico and points south soon enuff.)
Good choice! I had a DRZ-400E in Mexico for about 3.5 years until I sold it a few weeks ago (shown in post 17497 and starring in Tricepilots latest RR). It was very reliable and fun to ride. For off-road riding there was no compromise at all. It could go anywhere and keep up with any bike out there. Mine was geared up a little and could jump on the highway and keep up with traffic all day long. Not just keep up, it passed everything in sight on curvy mountain roads. No rear sub-frame = big backpack.
SR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:51 PM   #17039
SR
Studly Adventurer
 
SR's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Western, Mexico
Oddometer: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
Really sweet. What is that wet stuff called again? Oh, yeah. Water. We don't have any in our creeks and damn little in our rivers and lakes.
Thanks SOG. After 3 years of below average rain and even drought, Northern Mexico is getting pounded with rain this year. Last year there was no bean crop in a lot of places because of drought. Now this year they cant sew the fields because they are too wet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
SR, great pics, !
Nice waterfall.

In all fairness to Trice, I've heard he has great taste in wine.
Thanks MM.

Well, Tricepilot is kind of a Whiner!. Just teasing!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Hector Sr is throwing tons more photos up on Facebook of that waterfall - and a team rappeling down to the pool.
Photo

look at where that deck is in the photo in 17500. That's a long way down!

SR screwed with this post 08-05-2013 at 03:16 PM
SR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:14 PM   #17040
ben2go
Moto Flunky
 
ben2go's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Upstate SC USA
Oddometer: 2,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Hope to see you down here. This place would be a very nice day ride from DGO city. A big DS bike could easily do it. It's about 150 km SW of town, on about half paved and half gravel roads.

But yesterday we took Miguel's "alternative route" there. Miguel programs his routes in Google Earth and always looks for the most challenging route he can find from point A'-B'. He has an utter contempt for flat, smooth, well marked, commonly traveled roads. If it appears on a map, he will avoid it. So we ended up on a maze of logging roads that looked like they hadn't been used in half a century. We even got some nice single track!


This place was probably logged back in the 1950s


Miguel getting a running start "con vuelo"
It surprising to me how much the landscape there is like the landscape here around the SC/NC mountains.Looks like a good adventure to me.Nothing better than a bunch of guys riding the backwoods and draggin bikes over stumps and logs.If we have to listen out for banjos here,what do ya'll have to listen out for there?
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014