Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #17746
jimmyx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Nice bike dogsslobber! heres one from today ..... shakedown ride with new chinese radiators.
[

Dorothy Parker

jimmyx screwed with this post 08-04-2013 at 06:48 PM
jimmyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:01 AM   #17747
Twatwaffle
b00b

Oddometer: 15
Alright, so per my last post, trying to get suspension sorted out. I set the race sag at just under 4 inches (95mm) and now static sag is way out of spec...like over 1.5 inches. The strange thing is - I'm about 95% certain the bike has the stock spring on it (yellow, no Eibach/Racetech markings, no other stampings I can see). I weigh about 165-170 in my underwear, so I should be right in line with the spring spec. What gives? Should I add some more preload to get static in spec (down to 3.75" or so)?
Twatwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #17748
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twatwaffle View Post
Alright, so per my last post, trying to get suspension sorted out. I set the race sag at just under 4 inches (95mm) and now static sag is way out of spec...like over 1.5 inches. The strange thing is - I'm about 95% certain the bike has the stock spring on it (yellow, no Eibach/Racetech markings, no other stampings I can see). I weigh about 165-170 in my underwear, so I should be right in line with the spring spec. What gives? Should I add some more preload to get static in spec (down to 3.75" or so)?

Your free sag is 1.5 inches and race sag is just under 4 inches? Right? That's about perfect, go for a ride.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:10 PM   #17749
Craiger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Looks like PeteN95 is getting them.

That's Cool... Thanks.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:19 PM   #17750
mike1229
n00b

Oddometer: 5
help and parts

OK bought a XR650R that sat for 2 years that has been motard, need stock links since he lowered her. He put a 102 mm kit in her and a hot cam stage 1 xr only exhaust with header, she has a slow jet of 70 and a main jet of 205. If I was to run down the road from 25 to 45 she acts like she is missing. No popping on decel and runs like a champ above 50. I know it has to do with throttle, is that in my needle adjustment.
mike1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #17751
Lostsaffa
Half Man Half BRP

Oddometer: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1229 View Post
OK bought a XR650R that sat for 2 years that has been motard, need stock links since he lowered her. He put a 102 mm kit in her and a hot cam stage 1 xr only exhaust with header, she has a slow jet of 70 and a main jet of 205. If I was to run down the road from 25 to 45 she acts like she is missing. No popping on decel and runs like a champ above 50. I know it has to do with throttle, is that in my needle adjustment.
First thing I'd do is remove carb and clean thoroughly with aerosol carb cleaner (spray in all holes and jets and allow to drip off so dirt is carried away as you spray. Once that has been eliminated I would check float height and only then look at jetting.

Hope that helps
Old 08-05-2013, 05:34 PM   #17752
ride4fun562
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Im trying to remove my piggies heart but mr.honda won't sell me the lock nut tools fir the swingarm and I'm unable to make them right now, if someone has some to loan out or sell please message me, i want to get it rebuilt asap i daily ride it.

ride4fun562 screwed with this post 08-05-2013 at 05:47 PM
ride4fun562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:00 PM   #17753
Trl Rdr
Big Red Bird

Oddometer: 2,036
It most likely will pop apart without the tools. Getting the bolt out can be the tough part. Should have tools for reassembly. Made mine and got one on fleabay.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
Baja Mexico Trail Ride Report
Big Bend Ranch Drive and Ride Report
Trl Rdr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:03 PM   #17754
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4fun562 View Post
Im trying to remove my piggies heart but mr.honda won't sell me the lock nut tools fir the swingarm and I'm unable to make them right now, if someone has some to loan out or sell please message me, i want to get it rebuilt asap i daily ride it.
You dont need the tool to remove the swingarm, just to install it.

If you are careful you can tap the locking ring (outer) with a big screwdriver and knock it loose and use an impact to remove the other nut from what i recall.

There are a few members here who have the tools, and on Ebay you can buy them from a guy in the UK. I think they are $50. A local member was nice enough to let me borrow his.
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:04 AM   #17755
Rut Runner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Upgrading from Clarke 4.3 to Acerbis 6.3

I'm considering upgrading to an Acerbis 6.3 from a Clarke 4.3. Will there be any mounting issues if I'm using Unabiker Rad guards? Is it still possible to change the spark plug with the tank on? How hard is it to remove the tank when you're on the trail?

thanks for any info,
Mike
Rut Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:22 AM   #17756
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rut Runner View Post
I'm considering upgrading to an Acerbis 6.3 from a Clarke 4.3. Will there be any mounting issues if I'm using Unabiker Rad guards? Is it still possible to change the spark plug with the tank on? How hard is it to remove the tank when you're on the trail?

thanks for any info,
Mike
I can't comment on the radiator guards and fitment issue with the Acerbis since I don't run any guards with mine. Removing the tank isn't hard. Re-installing the tank (whether in the field or at home) is a chore. The upper bolts are hard to reach through the holes in the tank. It's best to used flanged head bolts and use a T-handle or socket extension with a wobbly head. I'll have to double check, but I'm pretty sure the tank will need to come off to remove the spark plug from the motor.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:58 AM   #17757
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4fun562 View Post
Go to your local auto parts store and get a brake caliper tool. It looks like a cube with holes and various tits on all six sides. Two of the sides will engage the castle nut. It isn't the best, but it is only about $10.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #17758
FlyingWman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rut Runner View Post

thanks for any info,
Mike
Don't know about fitment but if you end up getting the acerbis and would like to sell the Clark I will buy it!
FlyingWman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #17759
Trl Rdr
Big Red Bird

Oddometer: 2,036
Get Hodakaguy's tank brace for the Acerbis tank. Look in vendors, I think he made another batch. I use it for all the tanks, stock to Acerbis!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
Baja Mexico Trail Ride Report
Big Bend Ranch Drive and Ride Report
Trl Rdr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #17760
stevh0
Super Retard.

Oddometer: 1,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ron View Post
I can't comment on the radiator guards and fitment issue with the Acerbis since I don't run any guards with mine. Removing the tank isn't hard. Re-installing the tank (whether in the field or at home) is a chore. The upper bolts are hard to reach through the holes in the tank. It's best to used flanged head bolts and use a T-handle or socket extension with a wobbly head. I'll have to double check, but I'm pretty sure the tank will need to come off to remove the spark plug from the motor.

Those upper bolts are a pain in the ass. Pretty much takes guessing work to line them up. I've now come accustomed to using a torch to check the holes.

I doubt you would be able to get the plug out with them on. Honestly, I have not even noticed that.

Be prepared that if you are fully fueled on the 6.6, that shes a REAL heavy pig. I did not think Id notice it, but it is really noticeable, but only when full. I run half full when im playing, or swap back to my Clarke 18l.
Ex 950ADV
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote