Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2013, 07:26 AM   #17041
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
Padre Kino wine is the perfect wine when you need a decent looking glass carafe for water, ice tea or lemonade. They are also great for storing chiltipins or marbles. The wine pours easily down the drain, does not stain your sink and won't hurt the pipes. I believe it is OK in most public and private sewer systems as long as the quantities are not too great. Any residual wine washes easily out of the carafe and a bit of baking soda removes any lingering remnants. I highly recommend it.
You know it, TC!
I would just add "parts cleaner/degreaser" to the list.
They are going to market a new brand.
Se llama "El Matawinesnob"
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #17042
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,582
For those of us not in the know:

http://www.ayearinwine.com/2012/03/w...-tomorrow.html
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:59 AM   #17043
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

See? TurkeyC and I are on the vanguard of style, fashion, gastronomy (well, at least I've got the gas part covered and he has the "tronomy"), and drink.

It isn't easy being on leading edge.
Rumour has it, A couple of carafes of old Padre Kino can even result in a cure for infertile couples! Though some Sauza or mescal will usually work slightly faster when used well outside the normal envelope of moderation. Also, I would not even think about rappelling down SR's waterfall without a gutful of either.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:32 AM   #17044
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

The review above says "They're viscous, sweet and fresh"

Is that viscosity along the lines of a 0W20, or more like a 15W40 to appeal to the Harley set?

The alcohols may give it good carb cleaning properties, to clean out varnish residues. Who knows, it might do the same for your colon if orally ingested.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #17045
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,275
AW shucks Trice yer' making me blush, but thanks for the compliment.
A bit late but here are my ideas on the introductory short trip to Monterrey which Ninjagirl is contemplating.
I say DO It, just like that Monterrey or bust , and back by different roads, more than enough variety and scenery to keep one occupied as a first trip in , but STAY OFF the TOLL roads in Mexico (capitals for emphasis only , not screaming at anybody so don' nobody get upset.)
The chaparral biotope is totally different from anything she may be familiar with from around Memphis or the Great Lakes so it will all be new scenery to her and the few small towns and one city en route are worth a wandering exploration. Enjoy the country scenery, the vistas to the mountains, the steep climb to La Cuesta rock cut, the approach to Monterrey and the big industrial north section.
All the suggestions made for her to expand the trip to include SMA, GTO,RD14 SLP etc etc are all good but they would instantly transform her ride into a two week event before she gets back to the border. Not necessary for a first time'get yer feet wet' kind of introduction to Mexico. She has to leave something for an excuse to go back. Soon.
As I repeatedely do , I will suggest that Ninjagirl & Co. ride into Nuevo Laredo in the early evening and get their papers sorted at the customs facility which will be practically deserted by travellers at that hours, very fast service..If she gets TVIP and TC online she won't even need to stop at these customs buildings between Bridges 1 and 2 . Find a hotel, easily done at the south end of Av Guerrero where it changes name to Av Reforma. Local Mexican hotels are very good and less money than equivalents on the US side and there are big chain $$hotels too if you insist.Lots of restaurants,taquerias and fast food chains to pick from at the mall zone a bit south.
Next day the 240km to Monterrey can easily take all day. Maps listing 3.5 hour travel times are for the serious truck traffic and scared yanks who feel a need to race away from the border and dudes riding big adventure bikessome of who need to brag about riding 130mph all day. It is Mexico where every km counts as two and the Libre is much more interesting .
Along the way explore small town of Vallecillos and city of Sabinas Hidalgo, real Mexico
Spend the remainder of the day exploring Monterrey downtown and go across the rive r and over the hump mountain to ride around the wealthy suburb of San Pedro, and ride up the mountain face into the super rich neighbourhoods that SR alludes to. Very safe,, very interesting,, puts Hollywood Hills to shame.
Get a hotel or have one of the chains' booked before the ride.
Day two do some more exploring , but not too long, unless you can extend the ride by one day.
Then head back to the border by a different road.
Either take Mex 54 toward Saltillo , but DO NOT go into Saltillo, instead turn NORTH at Ramos Arizpe and you wind up on Mex 57 to Monclova and Allende and back to the US border at Eagle Pass TX, but do take time to explore each downtown along the way( oops short of time )
OR ... from north end of Monterrey pick up State highway NL1 back through more rural and mountainous areas then flats again to Nvo Laredo
OR take Mex 53 through the big valley northwest to Monclova and Eagle Pass.
Do NOt go into Saltillo , or you will be in danger of chucking the entire short plan and you will begin wandering north eventually, when the mood strikes, and no sooner ,hokay?

On the return leg ,at AllendeCOAH or at Nvo Laredo do not forget to cancel the TVIP and TC before you leave Mexico, unless you decide by then that you will want to return in the remaing months that these documents are valid.
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:42 PM   #17046
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
If you want a wild ride, you should get prepared to ride that thing in the Sierra Madre next June from Durango to Mazatlán off road.
Thanks, I'll put it on my list. Gonna (semi-Officially) put off my Yurp/IOM trip to 2015 so I ought' have the time. 'Nother friend want's to do Continental Divide tho... So many roads, so little time.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #17047
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
Sjoerd Bakker, you are a Saint, and the Nuevo Laredo Secretary of Tourism should retain you on a full time basis!

SR screwed with this post 08-06-2013 at 06:59 PM
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #17048
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,852
I'd expand and and say in:

-SMA visit La Gruta Hot Springs. On the left side of the road heading towards DH say 10-15min from the edge of SMA. Via Organica health food store for a great meal and one of the best home brews in mex.
-Guanajuato (GTO) check out the Mummy museum, inside of the Teatro, walk to all the squares & churches, the inside of the mercado, night life downtown and join a callejoneadas, visit the mine, ride the tunnels on your bike and get lost. Truco 7 for some mole
-Dolores Hidalgo (DH) visit on the night of Sept 15th for El Grito. Get to the square early, have dinner and beat the crowds trying to get into the square. Enjoy El Grito and fireworks after. All the crazy types of ice cream available in the main square. The road from GTO to HD!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post

San Miguel de Allende/Guanajuato/Dolores Hidalgo**

**Best "bang for the buck" in one area. An easy 2 day ride from the border. I've done SMA to San Antonio in 1 day multiple times but do not recommend covering this type of distance in 1 day as an introductory ride into Mexico.

Pick any of the destinations mentioned and plug it into Google like this:

site:advrider.com San Miguel de Allende

You can change anything after "site:advrider.com" to your liking, the protocol will return pages of threads that already exist on whatever topic you choose. Browse to your heart's content.

Note that on all of these plans, you'll be largely on major cuota (toll) roads and not off the beaten path. Mx 85, 40, and/or 57 (the Grand Funk Railroad as I call it).

If I were you I'd go to San Miguel and spend about 4 days looking around the Jardin and the environs. Although its the most Americanized of all the places listed, you'll love the vibe, and you'll have an easy day ride to Guanajuato, the most international of the destinations listed (and a major university city). Dolores Hildalgo is pure history (and tile making).

Real de Catorce is a very unusual stop, well worth the visit but there's not much level about it, plus there is a long cobblestone ride up to the tunnel leading through the mountain into the town. Famous movie site.

Parras is the closest, basically just outside of Saltillo, a playground for the wealthy Saltillo families who park a second home there. Winemaking history galore.

Google using the protocols as described and see if any of this interests you. These are some good, but far from the only, options.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:49 PM   #17049
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Good choice! I had a DRZ-400E in Mexico for about 3.5 years until I sold it a few weeks ago (shown in post 17497 and starring in Tricepilots latest RR). It was very reliable and fun to ride. For off-road riding there was no compromise at all. It could go anywhere and keep up with any bike out there. Mine was geared up a little and could jump on the highway and keep up with traffic all day long. Not just keep up, it passed everything in sight on curvy mountain roads. No rear sub-frame = big backpack.
Jackpiner has an awesome rear rack solution for the DRZ400E.
He add additional lower support legs
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788735
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:42 AM   #17050
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,027
Qoute: "Jackpiner has an awesome rear rack"

Bet it's not nearly as nice as Salma's front one...

Sorry, I just found this elsewhere on the site. It had to be done.

Trice, this one's for you!

Old 08-07-2013, 06:51 AM   #17051
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Craneguy!

Found a route we need to ride. Let me know when you get back.
It passed the Mystery Rider's "grunt test".

Me: "Hey, are you enjoying this ride and route as much as I am?"

Owner of Seal Club: "Grunt" (carrying a subtle positive inflection).

Can't ask for more than that.

Went to see Rafa here for a new fork seal and an Anakee 3 for the front, had a good look at the ding I received that day on the back road to Perote when you dinged yours, too. Looks worse with the tire off the wheel.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:36 AM   #17052
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
Jackpiner has an awesome rear rack solution for the DRZ400E.
He add additional lower support legs
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788735
That rear rack is sweet. No sub-frame required. I'd buy one if I still had my DRZ.

This guy is kind of loaded down.

It takes all different kinds to make the world!
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:42 AM   #17053
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Quote:
That rear rack is sweet. No sub-frame required. I'd buy one if I still had my DRZ.

This guy is kind of loaded down.

That could make for some awesome wheelies. Even when up to speed.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:14 AM   #17054
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,197
I see wheels so I know there's a bike in there somewhere.It's like where's Waldo moto style.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #17055
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 998
Quote:

That is so cool in a holy shit kinda way....

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote