Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2013, 06:03 PM   #17746
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4fun562 View Post
Im trying to remove my piggies heart but mr.honda won't sell me the lock nut tools fir the swingarm and I'm unable to make them right now, if someone has some to loan out or sell please message me, i want to get it rebuilt asap i daily ride it.
You dont need the tool to remove the swingarm, just to install it.

If you are careful you can tap the locking ring (outer) with a big screwdriver and knock it loose and use an impact to remove the other nut from what i recall.

There are a few members here who have the tools, and on Ebay you can buy them from a guy in the UK. I think they are $50. A local member was nice enough to let me borrow his.
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:04 AM   #17747
Rut Runner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Upgrading from Clarke 4.3 to Acerbis 6.3

I'm considering upgrading to an Acerbis 6.3 from a Clarke 4.3. Will there be any mounting issues if I'm using Unabiker Rad guards? Is it still possible to change the spark plug with the tank on? How hard is it to remove the tank when you're on the trail?

thanks for any info,
Mike
Rut Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:22 AM   #17748
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rut Runner View Post
I'm considering upgrading to an Acerbis 6.3 from a Clarke 4.3. Will there be any mounting issues if I'm using Unabiker Rad guards? Is it still possible to change the spark plug with the tank on? How hard is it to remove the tank when you're on the trail?

thanks for any info,
Mike
I can't comment on the radiator guards and fitment issue with the Acerbis since I don't run any guards with mine. Removing the tank isn't hard. Re-installing the tank (whether in the field or at home) is a chore. The upper bolts are hard to reach through the holes in the tank. It's best to used flanged head bolts and use a T-handle or socket extension with a wobbly head. I'll have to double check, but I'm pretty sure the tank will need to come off to remove the spark plug from the motor.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:58 AM   #17749
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4fun562 View Post
Im trying to remove my piggies heart but mr.honda won't sell me the lock nut tools fir the swingarm and I'm unable to make them right now, if someone has some to loan out or sell please message me, i want to get it rebuilt asap i daily ride it.
Go to your local auto parts store and get a brake caliper tool. It looks like a cube with holes and various tits on all six sides. Two of the sides will engage the castle nut. It isn't the best, but it is only about $10.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #17750
FlyingWman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Laugh

Quote:

thanks for any info,
Mike
Don't know about fitment but if you end up getting the acerbis and would like to sell the Clark I will buy it!
FlyingWman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #17751
Trl Rdr
Big Red Bird

Oddometer: 2,063
Get Hodakaguy's tank brace for the Acerbis tank. Look in vendors, I think he made another batch. I use it for all the tanks, stock to Acerbis!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
Baja Mexico Trail Ride Report
Big Bend Ranch Drive and Ride Report
Trl Rdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #17752
stevh0
Super Retard.

Oddometer: 1,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ron View Post
I can't comment on the radiator guards and fitment issue with the Acerbis since I don't run any guards with mine. Removing the tank isn't hard. Re-installing the tank (whether in the field or at home) is a chore. The upper bolts are hard to reach through the holes in the tank. It's best to used flanged head bolts and use a T-handle or socket extension with a wobbly head. I'll have to double check, but I'm pretty sure the tank will need to come off to remove the spark plug from the motor.

Those upper bolts are a pain in the ass. Pretty much takes guessing work to line them up. I've now come accustomed to using a torch to check the holes.

I doubt you would be able to get the plug out with them on. Honestly, I have not even noticed that.

Be prepared that if you are fully fueled on the 6.6, that shes a REAL heavy pig. I did not think Id notice it, but it is really noticeable, but only when full. I run half full when im playing, or swap back to my Clarke 18l.
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:09 AM   #17753
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:

thanks for any info,
Mike
As someone who JUST did this last month, here is the routine.

There are mounting issues with the Unibikers. I was not able to get either of the 2 lower bolts to line up and go in. The brackets that Acerbis sells with the tank are utter shit. Throw them in the trash and buy one of the Tanker Braces that Hodaka sells. Not only does everything line up easy and well, it also has two other big pluses.

1) it is one piece and super sturdy. Installing the 2 piece brace that comes with it is a total pain.

2) the tanker brace is narrowed at the area it mounts to the frame, this allows you to easily use the factory bolt.

Now onto the fitment tips...

You will cuss, and get totally frustrated the first few times. It honestly gets easier and easier each time you do it. I'd say I've had mine on and off maybe 30 times over the last month doing odds and ends.

Run all wires UNDER the backbone or as close to it as possible. My tank seemed very narrow and I could not even get it close to where it wanted to fit until I relocated everything under the backbone.

I also found it to be a bit of a chore to get the 2 upper bolts in, the right side pretty much goes right in and its a straight shot. I install this one first to locate it. The upper left on the other hand (by the thermostat) seems to be a pain. For whatever reason, the hole is cut about a half inch too high, and you cant get a good straight shot on it with a normal extension. After that one is in i move back to the right side again and run that in, followed by the left. Then I go back and tighten them all up.

I hated the tank for a while, but i'm comfortable with it now.
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:01 PM   #17754
sunnybandit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
BREAKING NEWS! 140 K60 Heidenau fits on XRR!

Thanks!!!

MSE mobile

sunnybandit screwed with this post 08-06-2013 at 08:14 PM Reason: pics added.
sunnybandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #17755
Trl Rdr
Big Red Bird

Oddometer: 2,063
Grind some taper on the end of the tank bolts, makes starting easier.
Someone makes billet mounts to replace the plastic mounts under the tank.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
Baja Mexico Trail Ride Report
Big Bend Ranch Drive and Ride Report
Trl Rdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:52 PM   #17756
Woundflatout
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnybandit View Post
BREAKING NEWS! 140 K60 Heidenau fits on XRR! MSE mobile
Awesome. This is going to be my next tire. Looking for something a bit less knoblie and aggressive than my 908RR.

I'm running a 140 908 and have noticed a polished area on the linkage. Perhaps a bit of rub, but nothing to be concerned about.

Cheers,

Jason
Rallymoto #159
Woundflatout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:56 PM   #17757
sunnybandit
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woundflatout View Post
Awesome. This is going to be my next tire. Looking for something a bit less knoblie and aggressive than my 908RR.

I'm running a 140 908 and have noticed a polished area on the linkage. Perhaps a bit of rub, but nothing to be concerned about.

Cheers,

Jason
Mine has the same thing. At least for mine the culprit is the dang mud flap. Slowing getting eaten by chain, tire, and linkage.
The guy at bmw said I could get well over 10kmi on these. ??

MSE mobile
Old 08-07-2013, 07:03 AM   #17758
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,666
That's good to know. I wish I used those on my trip. Love the Desert IT's, but I did highway sections that these would have lasted much, much longer.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:27 AM   #17759
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnybandit View Post
BREAKING NEWS! 140 K60 Heidenau fits on XRR!

Thanks!!!

MSE mobile

But will they fit at 90MPH?
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #17760
sunnybandit
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
But will they fit at 90MPH?
What are you insinuating? My bike only goes 110 and very rarely at that. Its not to pinched on the rim (think xrr is 3.75 and k60 is ment for 4 inch rim). Anyway, the tire has a VERY stiff bead/sidewall , again not sure what you mean butt you got my attention. Is that a newb jab or you know something? So far it works fine.

MSE mobile