Old 08-01-2013, 06:55 PM   #571
Rockcat
LDA

Oddometer: 381
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodabs View Post
Wow, someone else with a clipper!
Mine was pretty stock before i gave it to Richard. The Ariel replica frame and the DM magic made it an incredible bike. I ride it almost every day.
Rockcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:49 PM   #572
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,635
SO, where are you guys getting these Dick Mann bikes????

I should add, in the US to this statement.

mud screwed with this post 08-02-2013 at 06:18 AM
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:31 AM   #573
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Most of the Ariel "Replica" frames made here in the UK are nothing of sort, being vague copies of the OIF bike used by Sammy Miller, that was never something that was produced by the Ariel factory back in the 1960s.

Other bikes such as the Otter BSA wasnt a P65 machine either, and neither were 4 speed BSA Bantams, or square cylinder Tiger Cubs (both 67). Its only nitpicking, but seems to me if there are specific classes for the older bikes, that maybe its a good idea to have rules of some sort regarding eligibility?

Maybe it would be a good idea to drop the term "P65" entirely, and just run the old bikes in a vintage class, with a Unit/P-Unit split?
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:18 AM   #574
Rockcat
LDA

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
SO, where are you guys getting these Dick Mann bikes????

I should add, in the US to this statement.
I got mine from him. I had an Alloy Clipper that looked nice, but didn't work at all. I got the nerve to call Richard and told him what I was looking for. He told me to bring him the engine and gearbox, a deposit, and he gave me this.

You can get his contact info from the AHRMA NW site. If I did not already have the pre-unit engine I would have had him build me a unit BSA. I've ridden a couple and they are great. The purists are happier with these since he doesn't use a new frame, just modifies a stock BSA frame. On his pre-unit bikes the most common is an Ariel 350, though I have seen GoldStars and even Triumph twins from his shop. The Alloy Clipper was the poor man's GoldStar when then brought them here in the 50's.

Rockcat screwed with this post 08-02-2013 at 01:35 PM
Rockcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #575
GAwoody83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Anybody havE a interest in a 1960's triumph 250 single? Its in Canton, GA just north of Atlanta. $800 bucks, thought it might get snatched up in here.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/mcy/3975993778.html
GAwoody83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #576
mud
I just wander.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcat View Post
I got mine from him. I had an Alloy Clipper that looked nice, but didn't work at all. I got the nerve to call Richard and told him what I was looking for. He told me to bring him the engine and gearbox, a deposit, and he gave me this.

You can get his contact info from the AHRMA NW site. If I did not already have the pre-unit engine I would have had him build me a unit BSA. I've ridden a couple and they are great. The purists are happier with these since he doesn't use a new frame, just modifies a stock BSA from. On his pre-unit bikes the most common is an Ariel 350, though I have seen GoldStars and even Triumph twins from his shop. The Alloy Clipper was the poor man's GoldStar when then brought them here in the 50's.
That is pretty!

Yeah, I have to do a bit more research before I would feel comfortable calling DM.....
Old 08-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #577
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,368
Quote:
Yeah, I have to do a bit more research before I would feel comfortable calling DM.....
I went to SM...for goodies at least. Yes, it's pretty good to have a vision of what you want to do first!

roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #578
Nodabs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
It isn't a big deal to talk to Richard. He is just a regular guy and he makes his living building these bikes. I've had several of his creations over the last 25 years. At one time between me and my friends here in Illinois we had at least 10 Dick Mann specials, every one different.
My B40 is extra trick with a lowered rear subframe, Rickman hubs and trials specific frame geometry.
The Clipper is mostly stockish, but comes with a great story.
My father bought it new in '57 and rode enduros on it. He sold it in the early '60's to a guy who promptly crashed it into a car and parked it. My dad found it in the late '80's and sent it to Richard in the early 90's. Unfortunately my dad died right as Richard was finishing it up and never got to see it done.
When it was finished we didn't ride it much for the next few years but my mother wanted it used. So I rode for a year or two in AHRMA events and had some fun with it.
The coolest thing about the Clipper is that my first memory in life is riding on it's tank. I even remember where we rode, it was between our house and the motorcycle clubhouse that was in White City Il.. I'm thinking that it was in '61 or '62.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #579
mud
I just wander.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadholder View Post
I went to SM...for goodies at least. Yes, it's pretty good to have a vision of what you want to do first!

I would love to have an HT5/3 replica.... GOV132!!!
Old 08-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #580
mud
I just wander.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodabs View Post
It isn't a big deal to talk to Richard. He is just a regular guy and he makes his living building these bikes. I've had several of his creations over the last 25 years. At one time between me and my friends here in Illinois we had at least 10 Dick Mann specials, every one different.
My B40 is extra trick with a lowered rear subframe, Rickman hubs and trials specific frame geometry.
The Clipper is mostly stockish, but comes with a great story.
My father bought it new in '57 and rode enduros on it. He sold it in the early '60's to a guy who promptly crashed it into a car and parked it. My dad found it in the late '80's and sent it to Richard in the early 90's. Unfortunately my dad died right as Richard was finishing it up and never got to see it done.
When it was finished we didn't ride it much for the next few years but my mother wanted it used. So I rode for a year or two in AHRMA events and had some fun with it.
The coolest thing about the Clipper is that my first memory in life is riding on it's tank. I even remember where we rode, it was between our house and the motorcycle clubhouse that was in White City Il.. I'm thinking that it was in '61 or '62.
I do really feel that I would have to have my ducks in a row and KNOW what I want before I call him though.

That is a great story about the Clipper.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #581
mud
I just wander.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
Maybe it would be a good idea to drop the term "P65" entirely, and just run the old bikes in a vintage class, with a Unit/P-Unit split?
This is a good point. In my organization, UMTA, we just have a vintage class... Not specific to pre-65, or otherwise.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:51 AM   #582
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,368
Quote:
I would love to have an HT5/3 replica....
When I did one I was lucky enough to have an Ariel basket case to start with along with some extensive Ariel connections and expertise through my late father, in a situation similar to Nodabs experience. Without any of that things would have been very difficult and there would have been better choices for a project bike...at least for me. The one thing I am certain of is that the lightweight "Millerized" pre-65 bikes are the only way to go (despite the "hurrumph factor" from some purists) if you are into riding a vintage trials bike as oppposed to polishing one. They are 100+ pounds lighter then their production counterparts and are so much more capable that it can be the difference between being able to comfortably ride events (or not) for some riders at some venues. I previously posted an article my father wrote on doing the project a few years back, which can give you a feel for the time, level of skill and effort required, as well as the pros and cons of the pre-65 aftermarket. http://members.shaw.ca/rjohns/ariel/hunter.htm

2014 Yamaha FZ9
1973 Norton Commando & other old stuff
roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:05 PM   #583
mud
I just wander.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadholder View Post
When I did one I was lucky enough to have an Ariel basket case to start with along with some extensive Ariel connections and expertise through my late father, in a situation similar to Nodabs experience. Without any of that things would have been very difficult and there would have been better choices for a project bike...at least for me. The one thing I am certain of is that the lightweight "Millerized" pre-65 bikes are the only way to go (despite the "hurrumph factor" from some purists) if you are into riding a vintage trials bike as oppposed to polishing one. They are 100+ pounds lighter then their production counterparts and are so much more capable that it can be the difference between being able to comfortably ride events (or not) for some riders at some venues. I previously posted an article my father wrote on doing the project a few years back, which can give you a feel for the time, level of skill and effort required, as well as the pros and cons of the pre-65 aftermarket. http://members.shaw.ca/rjohns/ariel/hunter.htm
COOL! I was reading that just last night....

I have done my share of "rare" projects, and I don't need another one. The work doesn't bother me, just the waiting for or just flat getting the wrong parts are what I am done with. My RG500 was a bear (and EXPENSIVE!!) and my Husky auto is still not totally done.....

This is actually more what I am thinking. Not traditional, but still fun and a cool project.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:23 PM   #584
GAwoody83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
^^^ that is a awesome bike! I would ride it every day until I would wreck or something would mess up and I would not be able to repair it. But still a fantastic looking machine!
GAwoody83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:00 AM   #585
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
COOL! I was reading that just last night....

I have done my share of "rare" projects, and I don't need another one. The work doesn't bother me, just the waiting for or just flat getting the wrong parts are what I am done with. My RG500 was a bear (and EXPENSIVE!!) and my Husky auto is still not totally done.....

This is actually more what I am thinking. Not traditional, but still fun and a cool project.

Thats a Bob Moore Tiger Cub based Brit twin-shock, modern chrom-moly OIF chassis, Kawasaki forks, billet wheel hubs and yokes, special crank, hand made forged piston, digital ignition, and a 10k price tag!

In terms of function its about as far away from anything vaguely authentic P65, as a factory Moto GP bike is from well used BMW airhead.

Problem with the ground up new bikes is that they tend to mean events set out much much harder, which makes things very difficult for anyone on more authentic machinery.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote