ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #2041
bross
Where we riding to?
 
bross's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Oddometer: 4,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by btao View Post
Alright, so this thread rocks since there's so many options for people's style and of course function.

Can we get a nice list of what one should do in order of priority to their 800 for dirt worthiness?

Function highest to lowest

List what you have/tried/don't recommend/need desperately

I'm in the beginning stages, so this is super important as I'm hooked, and want to avoid crashing as much as I did on some proper trail riding with stock tires...
Umm, go back to page 1 and start reading. Burren pretty much covered it and the rest of us just copied him.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:23 AM   #2042
boinoodle
Old and Cautious
 
boinoodle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: The Dark Side
Oddometer: 1,012
From what I saw, a better set of hand guards and a bit more aggressive rubber and you're all set. You have the right attitude, and crash bars (oh sorry Triumph, dresser bars) to get the job done. Maybe the upper bars, but tires first.

I thought I wouldn't ride with the luggage rack when not camping, but the rear crash protection it affords has saved mine and the bikes ass many times already. It also seems to make the bike easier to pick up, a lift handle and just that much more off the ground. But not the highest priority.


(FWEIW, I bought a Sven saw last night, and you can have my Fullbore front if you want, 60% left...)



Quote:
Originally Posted by btao View Post
Alright, so this thread rocks since there's so many options for people's style and of course function.

Can we get a nice list of what one should do in order of priority to their 800 for dirt worthiness?

Function highest to lowest

List what you have/tried/don't recommend/need desperately

I'm in the beginning stages, so this is super important as I'm hooked, and want to avoid crashing as much as I did on some proper trail riding with stock tires...
__________________


Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
.
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:33 AM   #2043
btao
Pwned
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Not far enough...
Oddometer: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Umm, go back to page 1 and start reading. Burren pretty much covered it and the rest of us just copied him.

Yeeeahhh, i got tired around page 320957r32, and started nodding off...
__________________
"you opened your mind so far, your brains fell out"
_________________________
Current: '13 Tiger 800 XC, '09 Subi WRX, '11 405hp Sti (wifey's) Past: '74 Honda CB 360, '81 Yamaha 650 Special II, '01 Bandit 1200S, '07 Bandit 1250S
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:44 AM   #2044
btao
Pwned
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Not far enough...
Oddometer: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by boinoodle View Post
From what I saw, a better set of hand guards and a bit more aggressive rubber and you're all set. You have the right attitude, and crash bars (oh sorry Triumph, dresser bars) to get the job done. Maybe the upper bars, but tires first.

I thought I wouldn't ride with the luggage rack when not camping, but the rear crash protection it affords has saved mine and the bikes ass many times already. It also seems to make the bike easier to pick up, a lift handle and just that much more off the ground. But not the highest priority.


(FWEIW, I bought a Sven saw last night, and you can have my Fullbore front if you want, 60% left...)
Yea, that was my impression too...

Good thing we tested the structural integrity of my current gear, right! Always test your gear, very important. Except on motorcycles... Send Buster to take care of that.

THANKS! I'll definitely take you up on the tire! It will give me a proper starting point of aggressiveness. I was comforted slightly when your worn out rear was about the same tread as my stockies, so in THEORY, I should have made it look half as good as you did. Didn't happen, but hey, it was only a theory....
__________________
"you opened your mind so far, your brains fell out"
_________________________
Current: '13 Tiger 800 XC, '09 Subi WRX, '11 405hp Sti (wifey's) Past: '74 Honda CB 360, '81 Yamaha 650 Special II, '01 Bandit 1200S, '07 Bandit 1250S
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:49 AM   #2045
btao
Pwned
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Not far enough...
Oddometer: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by boinoodle View Post
(FWEIW, I bought a Sven saw last night, and you can have my Fullbore front if you want, 60% left...)
+5 on the saw!

Hey, at least that was the one thing I did fairly well, and didn't eat any tree limbs in the fallen tree crossing incident. I thought for sure, you would have noticed your bike not moving forward on account of the limb in your jugs.
__________________
"you opened your mind so far, your brains fell out"
_________________________
Current: '13 Tiger 800 XC, '09 Subi WRX, '11 405hp Sti (wifey's) Past: '74 Honda CB 360, '81 Yamaha 650 Special II, '01 Bandit 1200S, '07 Bandit 1250S
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:02 AM   #2046
boinoodle
Old and Cautious
 
boinoodle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: The Dark Side
Oddometer: 1,012
Usually it's operator error


Quote:
Originally Posted by btao View Post
+5 on the saw!

Hey, at least that was the one thing I did fairly well, and didn't eat any tree limbs in the fallen tree crossing incident. I thought for sure, you would have noticed your bike not moving forward on account of the limb in your jugs.
__________________


Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
.
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:35 AM   #2047
ilbiker
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Illinois
Oddometer: 130
Can you give more information like where did you get them and which ones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBXC View Post
I haven't been satisfied with the lighting on my Tiger 800 XC. Not enough light on the highway or offroad. Before I spent the money for some auxiliary lights I thought I would give some HID's a try. I just got back from a test ride after installation. All I can say is "wow!" They are much brighter on the interstate and on backroads. Road signs are much easier to read too. No one flashed their headlights at me so I guess they aren't blinding on coming traffic either.

The install was pretty easy. And you don't need all those relays, and canbus attachments they try to sell you either. I just installed the bulb, plugged in the ballast and everything worked fine. All in all, a great value. They will probably increase my daytime visibility too.
__________________
I don't suffer from insanity, everyone else around me does...
ilbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #2048
twinrider
pass the catnip
 
twinrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: 日本
Oddometer: 9,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilbiker View Post
Can you give more information like where did you get them and which ones?
Go to The Retrofit Source website and order the Morimoto Elites in 5000k. You won't regret it. http://www.theretrofitsource.com/store.php
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:05 AM   #2049
TekurRides
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: NorCal
Oddometer: 67
Noob question.

I just installed the Uni filter a week back. But when I get to the point of cleaning it, I had a few questions. How often do you clean it? What's the right way to do it? Remove it and dunk it in Turpentine/Gas and then soapy water, then air dry? Thanks in advance for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy Rider View Post

I wash the UniFilter out with Mineral Turpentine (Turps), clean it up like new every time, then wash in warm soapy water, dry and reoil. I use a blue oil in colour so I can see that it is covered properly
TekurRides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #2050
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché
 
Yossarian™'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: the 'Ha
Oddometer: 9,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekurRides View Post
Noob question.

I just installed the Uni filter a week back. But when I get to the point of cleaning it, I had a few questions. How often do you clean it? What's the right way to do it? Remove it and dunk it in Turpentine/Gas and then soapy water, then air dry? Thanks in advance for the help.
Clean it when it's dirty. You can tell by looking at it, to see if there is a lot of buildup of dust/dirt on it.

Depending upon what type of filter oil is in use, you may want to select from a range of cleaners.
__________________
Successfully surviving motorcycling since 1976.
Yossarian™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:28 PM   #2051
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles
 
MotoTex's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Tool Shed
Oddometer: 1,587
Take a look at NoToil



Get away from solvents altogether. Great filtering, easy cleaning, easy application.
__________________

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:30 AM   #2052
bross
Where we riding to?
 
bross's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Oddometer: 4,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekurRides View Post
Noob question.

I just installed the Uni filter a week back. But when I get to the point of cleaning it, I had a few questions. How often do you clean it? What's the right way to do it? Remove it and dunk it in Turpentine/Gas and then soapy water, then air dry? Thanks in advance for the help.
Here's how UNI do it...

Clean
http://youtu.be/U_xFsEmHX5Q

Oil
http://youtu.be/DuYBh7eYn1I
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:06 AM   #2053
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
Take a look at NoToil



Get away from solvents altogether. Great filtering, easy cleaning, easy application.
Once I picked up their products at the shop, I could hardly give away the other crap.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:20 AM   #2054
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 21,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Once I picked up their products at the shop, I could hardly give away the other crap.
Are these good for the Uni Filter - I assume yes but, well, you know how that goes...
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:56 AM   #2055
JBXC
Gnarly Adventurer
 
JBXC's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Southaven, MS
Oddometer: 107
Source for HID

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilbiker View Post
Can you give more information like where did you get them and which ones?
I purchased my kit from HID Nation. Be sure you get the smallest ballast that you can. There isn't much room. You don't need the relays and canceler they'll try to sell you. All you need is the Bi-Xenon 9003 High/ Low HID Kits HN-9003 and the slim ballasts. I used a step drill bit to put holes in the bulb access covers in the housing. The wires on the bulb have a grommet that fits in the hole. Once you install the bulbs and run the wiring through the back cover just plug them into the ballast. The trickiest part for me was finding a way to mount the ballast. There isn't much room or wire. I used zip ties to bundle the two ballasts together and used some very heavy duty velcro to stick the ballast bundle under the gauge housing. It works very well and makes it easy to service the lights should the need arise. So far it is working great and I am very pleased. I had a motorcycle cop pull up beside me at a red light. He pointed to my HID's running in the daytime and gave me a thumbs up. So, I guess they approve too.
__________________
Love is the feeling you get when you like something almost as much as your motorcycle.

— Hunter S. Thompson
JBXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014