Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #706
Afry
Why hike?

Oddometer: 533
I had an XL in Trekker which got kinda loose over a two year period of off road use ( the pads got flatter) but am now thinking of the FX - should I get the large?

Get on with riding or get on with dying - one or the other
Afry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:27 PM   #707
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afry View Post
I had an XL in Trekker which got kinda loose over a two year period of off road use ( the pads got flatter) but am now thinking of the FX - should I get the large?
Probably will work fine after break in.
sagedrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #708
streetguy
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Hello,
I have a question, how is your peripheral vision with this helmet?
I only ride on the street but it looks like you would be able to see more with one of these.
Thanks
streetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #709
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetguy View Post
Hello,
I only ride on the street but it looks like you would be able to see more with one of these.
Thanks

Excellent!

However, that is when the shield is closed. While open it hangs down a bit. DS/MX helmets have a very wide field of vision usually.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #710
streetguy
n00b

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagedrifter View Post
Excellent!

However, that is when the shield is closed. While open it hangs down a bit. DS/MX helmets have a very wide field of vision usually.
Thanks for the input, so many of my helmets block my view when looking over my shoulder.
I know it may look a little goofy on the street but I'm too old to worry with that. I can take the visor off but some say it's not rally a problem.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:24 PM   #711
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

I've worn DS helmets riding a KTM 950 at high speeds. But, if the bike is really fast, I stick to a good street helmet. The AFX will rip your neck really well over 80 mph, but not nearly as bad as a regular MX lid with the larger visor.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #712
streetguy
n00b

Quote:
I've worn DS helmets riding a KTM 950 at high speeds. But, if the bike is really fast, I stick to a good street helmet. The AFX will rip your neck really well over 80 mph, but not nearly as bad as a regular MX lid with the larger visor.
The bike is a Concours with about 150 + RWHP now. Will it do that without the visor?
Old 08-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #713
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

My FJR was ok with the wind shield up a bit. Never took the visor off, but I'm sure that would get rid of the drag. Always felt funny wearing it on a ST bike...
Old 08-05-2013, 10:06 PM   #714
streetguy
n00b

Quote:
My FJR was ok with the wind shield up a bit. Never took the visor off, but I'm sure that would get rid of the drag. Always felt funny wearing it on a ST bike...
I know but it sure looks like you can see good out of them
Old 08-06-2013, 06:01 AM   #715
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Oddometer: 1,660
Anyone know where I can get one of the visor/shield mount screws? One of mine fell out the other day during a ride. Must have worked itself loose raising and lowering the visor. Other than that little glitch I'm really liking this helmet.
findLadukebob
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:06 AM   #716
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Oddometer: 1,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetguy View Post
Hello,
Thanks
Hello streetguy.

The peripheral vision is good, but IMO, that is not the correct criteria for your choice. I would be going way back to the original Hurt report, but peripheral vision is not a statistically critical factor. Perhaps a factor, just not a critical one.

It is always best to match your gear to your type of bike and riding, and there is a ton of choice (almost too much) available to do this. Again, IMO, this helmet is not a good match for pure street use on a Concourse. It will work, and it meets your standard of having good peripheral vision, but there are a bazillion choices that are better.

Perhaps more important......DS helmets as a category are a few degrees off of your type of use. Not incompatible, but also not ideal.

In particular, the AFX DS helmet rides / wears / feels like a dirt helmet. It is light and vents well, but is also a bit noisy and does not have a lot of shield adjustment. It has a fairly long visor, whereas other DS helmets like the Arai XD4 or Shoei Hornet DS have a truncated visor length. This is to help them accommodate higher speed street use.

The visor has benefits, but in your riding context they are somewhat minimized. As you stated, you have a high HP, street oriented motorcycle, capable of long distance riding at high speed. During rough surface riding, you are "distracted" by the terrain, changing directions, managing traction, etc. On the street, especially at steady speed, you have lots of time to notice...every...single....flaw....your gear has.

For this, I feel a modular or a full street helmet would be more quiet, more stable, and thus less fatiguing. Again, there is a ton of choice, and surely some with a wide eyeport. If you would like some assistance with this, please PM me.

For the record, we like the FX39 quite a bit. That said, I think it is necessary to reiterate why we like it, and for what applications. In a few cases we have had customers that have reacted negatively to them. However, in nearly every single case, these people have either been using the helmet out of its correct context, or, compared it to other helmets 3x, 4x, 5x more expensive, which is not entirely practical.

The AFX FX-39 (and the Fly Trekker) are good, cheap, light, comfortable DS helmets. The have a great, fitment friendly long oval shape (especially the Trekker) that works on most North American heads. They vent really well and flow a lot of air through the minimalist liner (which is why people complain about their noise level) and accommodate goggles. They work great off road, actually better than many dirt helmets. Most of all, they are dirt cheap, with the next decent option being $50 more. We feel that in comparison with other models at this price range, the AFX (and the Fly Trekker) are a better choice.

Hope that helps.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:42 AM   #717
streetguy
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
Hello streetguy.

The AFX FX-39 (and the Fly Trekker) are good, cheap, light, comfortable DS helmets. The have a great, fitment friendly long oval shape (especially the Trekker) that works on most North American heads. They vent really well and flow a lot of air through the minimalist liner
Hope that helps.

BP
Peripheral vision: It is vital to me, turning my head to see behind not only happens when changing lanes, it occurs in accident avoidance. I have been a licensed MC rider for 48 years now and have (so far) avoided occupying the same physical space with a another vehicle. When I turn my head to look I must see right now! I have at least 10 full face helmets by different manufactures and only one is "OK".
I spent many years riding in a 5/8 shell and miss the view.

long oval shape; My head is two inches longer than it is wide so I need this fit.

Vent really well; I live near Galveston, Texas (nuff said)

Plus this helmet is rated relatively quite by WebBikeWorld.

So now you know what brought me here, thanks for the input.
BTW. the Fly looks just like the AFX to me?
Old 08-06-2013, 12:05 PM   #718
streetguy
n00b

I see eBay sells "ratchet mechanisms" for this helmet.
Can you get something with more detents?
Thanks
Old 08-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #719
NYTrainer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Afx-39

I had an AFX-37 & it was Ok, but it was hot & the visor caught a lot of air.

I crashed & broke the 37, so I bought a high-viz 39. What a difference!

The new helmet has better venting & the visor flows much more wind.

They do run small.

The cam-lock strap beats the D-rings anyday.

2004 DR650 Suzuki,1978 Yamaha XS750,
1981 Yamaha XS650 Street Tracker,1981 Yamaha XV920 Chain-drive
1986 Yamaha YZ490-Vintage MX project, Yamaha TW200(Girl Friend's Ride) Yamaha TDM 850
NYTrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:51 PM   #720
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTrainer View Post
I had an AFX-37 & it was Ok, but it was hot & the visor caught a lot of air.

I crashed & broke the 37, so I bought a high-viz 39. What a difference!

The new helmet has better venting & the visor flows much more wind.

They do run small.

The cam-lock strap beats the D-rings anyday.

Small? The current offering is a fat 1/2 size larger than any other helmet I ever tried.