Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #301
Chicken Helmet
I'm A Stumper™

Oddometer: 4,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
That is a great looking KLR!
I'll bet it'd tow a Husky 80 mph with that fairing installed.
From what I've heard, riding a DR feels just like riding a KLR except you're head doesn't sway left and right constantly scanning the ditches for aluminum cans.
Chicken Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #302
azgsa
Apathetic

Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0theories View Post
Got this baby mounted as part of a build. Took her for a ride in her native habitat. Rode some pavement too, to check out high speed. At 75 mph, nice clean, smooth air, much less turbulence than what I had. Super bright light (untested on road as of now). Total win-win.
I agree, looks good. I'm building a KLR up for my son pretty much the same... Same seat, same tank, black theme. Thinking of using this headlight assy (already using these awesome LED's on my Xchallenge). How did you mount it to the KLR forks?
Old 07-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #303
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by azgsa View Post
How did you mount it to the KLR forks?

WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:36 AM   #304
0theories
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by azgsa View Post
... How did you mount it to the KLR forks?
I mounted the acerbis ktm fairing and it has two pegs which hold the bottom of the fairing. Then I used one fork mounting kit offered on the website for the top (orange straps). Check out the build thread for details. It sits solid and is adjustable.

Oregon to Panama RR (Guatemala actually...)
KLR Build Thread
0theories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:39 PM   #305
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,564
The fairing can also be bolted to the fender (nylon hardware recommended). You can also use 4 of the fork strap mounts for low fender or bikes without any mounting points.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:54 AM   #306
RibRoy
RibRoy

Oddometer: 53
Hi, I have a 950SE, I see you have one with the fairing. Is it possible se some more photos of the set up?

Thanks
RibRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:23 AM   #307
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by RibRoy View Post
Hi, I have a 950SE, I see you have one with the fairing. Is it possible se some more photos of the set up?

Thanks
Thanks for the interest. These are pictures of my prototype fairing so the current offering is much better as the rear is finished in same color as the front, the main mounts are stainless (black in the pictures).

A few features: the main mounts provide a great place to mount that birds nest of wiring, the faring is removeable in a couple of minutes, the height and angle of the fairing are adjustable.

This is a fender for current exc bikes. I tried the pins on the fender but felt the fairing was a bit too low.

The fairing performance on the road is amazing, no buffeting, smooth air, mile and miles without fatigue. The fairing is low enough that is does not get in the way when off road.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:48 AM   #308
RibRoy
RibRoy

Oddometer: 53

Have you sold to any other SE's on the forum?

Quote:
Thanks for the interest. These are pictures of my prototype fairing so the current offering is much better as the rear is finished in same color as the front, the main mounts are stainless (black in the pictures).

A few features: the main mounts provide a great place to mount that birds nest of wiring, the faring is removeable in a couple of minutes, the height and angle of the fairing are adjustable.

The fairing performance on the road is amazing, no buffeting, smooth air, mile and miles without fatigue. The fairing is low enough that is does not get in the way when off road.
RibRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:49 AM   #309
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by RibRoy View Post

Have you sold to any other SE's on the forum?
Not yet, you can be the second
Old 11-03-2013, 07:43 AM   #310
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

2013 Honda CRF250L

sanjoh screwed with this post 11-04-2013 at 03:24 AM
Old 11-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #311
canadius_maximus
Quaere verum - Seek truth

Oddometer: 449
Hello,

I have been following this development, and now that I have a KTM 690 Enduro, am considering this as a possibility.

You mention that the fairing is adjustable for height and angle (rake?). How much can it go up and forward? I say forward, since for any offroad riding, I'm not comfortable at the angle it sits currently in most of the photos - points right at your face/neck area, which could make for less than perfect ending to an already dramatic get-off.

My other question, is assuming the rake angle can be adjusted to say, near vertical - does that mean the angle of the lights automatically go with it - meaning now they'd be pointing too far down? Or are the lights adjustability separate from the fairing's?

If this is covered somewhere, I apologise - am learning a whole new bike (sold the DRZ) and am trying to figure/price out my farkles/mods ...

Many thanks!

CM

KTM 690 R Rally Raid Evo 1 (and 2) Kit Build for Dummies
canadius_maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:03 AM   #312
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadius_maximus View Post
Hello,

I have been following this development, and now that I have a KTM 690 Enduro, am considering this as a possibility.

You mention that the fairing is adjustable for height and angle (rake?). How much can it go up and forward? I say forward, since for any offroad riding, I'm not comfortable at the angle it sits currently in most of the photos - points right at your face/neck area, which could make for less than perfect ending to an already dramatic get-off.

My other question, is assuming the rake angle can be adjusted to say, near vertical - does that mean the angle of the lights automatically go with it - meaning now they'd be pointing too far down? Or are the lights adjustability separate from the fairing's?

If this is covered somewhere, I apologise - am learning a whole new bike (sold the DRZ) and am trying to figure/price out my farkles/mods ...

Many thanks!

CM
Congrats on the 690!

The fairing can be adjusted to almost vertical and forward of the triple clamp probably 6". While I understand your concern over the angle of the fairing, the nature of a dualsport is compromise. Mounted low and tight to the triple really takes the fairing out of play in most situations. Having done a fair amount of technical off road riding with the fairing, I haven't had an issue with it getting in the way.

KTM950SE

KTM690

Each light is adjustable, separate from the fairing. They do not auto adjust.

Sounds like you might be looking for a Dakar type fairing, intended for standing for long periods of time
Old 11-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #313
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

CRF250L Gauges

Old 11-04-2013, 11:56 AM   #314
canadius_maximus
Quaere verum - Seek truth

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Congrats on the 690!

The fairing can be adjusted to almost vertical and forward of the triple clamp probably 6". While I understand your concern over the angle of the fairing, the nature of a dualsport is compromise. Mounted low and tight to the triple really takes the fairing out of play in most situations. Having done a fair amount of technical off road riding with the fairing, I haven't had an issue with it getting in the way.

Each light is adjustable, separate from the fairing. They do not auto adjust.

Sounds like you might be looking for a Dakar type fairing, intended for standing for long periods of time
Thanks - a very reasonable answer. I'm juggling preferences with budget, and so while the fixed fairing is indeed my preference, practicality and/or budget may dictate otherwise, hence my interest in your fairing.

If the fairing's angle can be adjusted, and the lights also adjusted independently, then this product is indeed a viable option for me.

Since my preferred colour is orange, I'm guessing black would be the way to go - paint the front orange, and the black giving a nicer "cockpit" finish/glare result. If I go this route, that's likely how I'd go.

Take a 60 light for wide and a 50 or 30 for high beam? Is that how most folks go for the 690?

cheers,

CM

KTM 690 R Rally Raid Evo 1 (and 2) Kit Build for Dummies
canadius_maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #315
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 745
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, that CRF250 gets me thinking about my KLX 250. Like the Dual Sport Fairing on my DR650. Wonder how one would fit on the KLX. Probably put it lower than on the DR since I ride it more in the dirt. Hmmmm. Don't know if I'd need two 60s in it....

My wallet really has a hard time with your sites, John.
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote