Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #16
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 2,033
That helmet was done with some sort of belt sander either as a joke or demonstration piece.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:37 AM   #17
Falconx84
Lurker

Oddometer: 371
I could be totally wrong... My dirt skills are basic at best, and I've never been on rocks larger than baseball size

But aren't your feet supposed to stay on the pegs? The idea being that the bike moves under you and your legs work as shock absorbers so you don't get bucked off.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #18
HellSickle OP
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 9,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconx84 View Post
I could be totally wrong... My dirt skills are basic at best, and I've never been on rocks larger than baseball size

But aren't your feet supposed to stay on the pegs? The idea being that the bike moves under you and your legs work as shock absorbers so you don't get bucked off.

You've been watching too many professional riders. In theory, you are right. However, for mere mortals, standing on the pegs climbing rough scree is often disastrous. In the extra second it takes to perform an emergency dab from a standing position, you will already be on the ground.

Last weekend I was riding with my lovely wife. She has great form standing up. I watched her picking a line up a long rocky hill. The front end hit a roller & she went down before she could catch herself. I told her to sit down and treat the clutch like it was our corgi (abuse it!), get her weight on the back wheel, and paddle her way up. All was good after that.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:32 PM   #19
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
How well did that helmet fit Wyogirl? Was it the correct internal shape that matched the shape of her head...round, long oval, or something in between? And, if the shape was right, was the size right? The "seeing stars" is more likely if her head slammed the inside of a poorly fitting helmet.
http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/content/fitting-guide
Old 08-08-2013, 01:40 PM   #20
HellSickle OP
Scone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Rider View Post
How well did that helmet fit Wyogirl? Was it the correct internal shape that matched the shape of her head...round, long oval, or something in between? And, if the shape was right, was the size right? The "seeing stars" is more likely if her head slammed the inside of a poorly fitting helmet.
http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/content/fitting-guide
No, it fit very well. It was a hard impact.

FYI, my wife decided to pick up a Kali helmet. I absolutely love mine. Half the price of an equivalent lightweight Arai.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #21
Bazgab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizGirl View Post
As for crashing, I don't think putting a hand out is necessarily gender related. I know plenty of men who have broken hands, arms, shoulders, and collarbones because they try to catch themselves when they fall. I think it has more to do with sports and activities when younger. I played competitive soccer and raced mountain bikes and when I fall I tuck everything in and try to land flat without any body parts sticking out. Landing on a forearm or fist can easily get something broken if you fall the wrong way or too far.
Agreed, I don't think it is gender related as well. In my senior year of high school football I did a bonehead move and stuck my hand out to catch my fall, no idea why as it wasn't a common reaction for me. My only guess was it was due to lack of concentration as it was a thursday pre-game practice in half-pads. Ended up going backwards over the tackle pile that I didn't realize was right behind me. Trying to catch myself ended in two spiral fractures of the metacarpals in my right hand. I did land very strangely though, like if you make a V-shape with your thumb and index finger and tried to catch yourself with that.
Bazgab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:14 PM   #22
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,343
I buy a new helmet every time my wife gets herself a new pair of shoes.
Seems fair.

On a more serious note, I got pranged by a car about five years ago, I don't recall even hitting my head during the incident, but a small mark on the back of my then brand new helmet said otherwise. I still suffer from post-concussion issues. So that helmet sits on the shelf collecting dust with the rest of the collection.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #23
HellSickle OP
Scone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by McJamie View Post

On a more serious note, I got pranged by a car about five years ago, I don't recall even hitting my head during the incident, but a small mark on the back of my then brand new helmet said otherwise. I still suffer from post-concussion issues. So that helmet sits on the shelf collecting dust with the rest of the collection.
Target practice with propane bottle inside. Just say'n.....

Old 09-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #24
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
That helmet definitely did it's job. Better invest in a new one, it wont take another hit like that. Glad you're ok.

I have to get a new one because my overloaded KLR blew over, but the fall was broken by my helmet that I placed over the left hand guard while I went into the gas station. Lame. But the bike fell just as I was walking back out, and it fell on the helmet HARD.

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #25
HellSickle OP
Scone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorPoor View Post
That helmet definitely did it's job. Better invest in a new one, it wont take another hit like that. Glad you're ok.

I have to get a new one because my overloaded KLR blew over, but the fall was broken by my helmet that I placed over the left hand guard while I went into the gas station. Lame. But the bike fell just as I was walking back out, and it fell on the helmet HARD.
Yep, Josh did the same thing this weekend. Toasted a helmet. I try to set my helmet on the ground outside the fall zone of the bike.

In the middle of a 100 mile ride, a buddy put his helmet on the end of his bars when we were stopped. He pulled his gas cap to see how much fuel he had. While trying to slosh the tank he tipped the bike over & filled his helmet with premix. The rest of the ride pretty much sucked to be him.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #26
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,113
Wow that was looking good coming up that hill, until it didn't. I've had a few of those myself, so I don't ride those kinds of hills anymore. Regarding blocking your fall I have broken both wrists, an ankle and my left shoulder. I must be sticking everything out I can!

My son's both have lots of road racing under their belts. We have boxes and boxes of Arai's sitting on the shelf, each with its own story from Daytona to Willow Springs. Any impact at all and they get replaced. Even without an impact they should probably be replaced every three seasons or so.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #27
Crisis management
Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer: 1,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post

You've been watching too many professional riders. In theory, you are right. However, for mere mortals, standing on the pegs climbing rough scree is often disastrous. In the extra second it takes to perform an emergency dab from a standing position, you will already be on the ground.

Last weekend I was riding with my lovely wife. She has great form standing up. I watched her picking a line up a long rocky hill. The front end hit a roller & she went down before she could catch herself. I told her to sit down and treat the clutch like it was our corgi (abuse it!), get her weight on the back wheel, and paddle her way up. All was good after that.
Interesting to read of your experiences, I don't get to ride much rock here (mostly clay & sand) but know that I ride better standing and have a better chance of getting past an obstacle on the pegs rather than on the seat. Any time I'm sitting down paddling I am cursing my slowness to get on the pegs and I'm definately not a professional (unless you define professional as "that imbecile has fallen off again hasn't he?").

As to falling off (I am a professional here) I use a tuck and roll technique and to date haven't damaged anything, I do wear a pressure suit and decent knee braces and plenty of bruising usually occurs but no breakages. Mind you, I have been called "somewhat slow" so there may be a co-relation here....

Given my record of regular crashing, I don't replace the helmet too often, small knocks I don't worry about but when there's bits missing (trees!, I blame the trees!) I replace. Depends how fast you ride and the exposure to risk (how close is the ambulance?)
Crashing at speed is something else, the track helmet gets replaced whenever it touchs the ground.

Looks like a great riding spot and sounds like you had a blast, wish I had the opportunity to ride that sort of country!
Old 09-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #28
FTL900
White and nerdy

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizGirl View Post
As usual, the video doesn't do this section justice showing its difficulty - there is a creek and the rocks slope off the 4x4 road at nearly a 45 degree angle. There really isn't a good line through the rocks.
Yeah, it didn't look that bad from the top view, until she started through it. Then I realized how rough it really is!!

It's so easy to view pictures and think "I could sail right through that, standing on the pegs" and so very different when you're the one battling all those rocks!

If I had any suggestions, it would be to try to keep the feet up. Not that I can do it every time, but usually when my feet go down, the rest of me follows shortly.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #29
TxLoneRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Helmet ender

My worst helmet ender was after a LD trip.

I used to be in the habit of placing my gloves in my helmet. One morning on the trip, I noticed a bit of a smell in the helmet. Okay, what ever. By the end of the day I started getting a bit of a rash on my forehead. And thus the rest of the trip saw me trying to do my best in keeping the helmet and my skin dry, and wear a make shift do-rag.

When I got home, I tried Lysol, and other chemicals to try to get the smell out of the foam. It was getting better, but at some point I said fark it, too many chemicals can't be good for the foam, and tossed the helmet was. Sad day, really like the darn thing.

How, I never, ever, put my gloves in my helmet.
TxLoneRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #30
HellSickle OP
Scone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTL900 View Post
Yeah, it didn't look that bad from the top view, until she started through it. Then I realized how rough it really is!!

It's so easy to view pictures and think "I could sail right through that, standing on the pegs" and so very different when you're the one battling all those rocks!

If I had any suggestions, it would be to try to keep the feet up. Not that I can do it every time, but usually when my feet go down, the rest of me follows shortly.
Here's the view from below. Trashy approach around a corner. Off-camber with diagonal ledges. Tires were moistened just prior to hitting the rocks. The shadowed spot to the left was a 2' deep hole with running water.