Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2013, 06:41 AM   #46
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin2 View Post
I'm curious about your comments. The C3 is my first ever scooter and first vehicle too slow for a highway. I can see its limitations here and there in the small(er) town I live but I've generally found it to be just fine for 80 percent of what I do locally. So far.

I'll report back :)
It really depends where you live. I lived in a small city in Maine where a 50cc scooter would probably work pretty well. Other than that, everywhere else I have lived, 50cc would be way too dangerous. I currently live in Huntsville which has fairly light traffic and better than average drivers. I still wouldn't consider riding around here on anything smaller than 125/150cc. I can't go anywhere out of my subdivision without getting on a 50 MPH road.

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:53 AM   #47
climbamt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
We ride 50cc's in Baltimore all of the time, and have no issues. The Kymco People will beat most cars off of the line and can do well over 40 MPH. In Md, you are required to use the bike lane on a 50cc scooter if there is one. Most of the 50cc scooters struggle to get to 30 MPH though.
02 Kymco People 50
Baltimore, MD

climbamt screwed with this post 08-10-2013 at 06:06 AM Reason: edited for clarity
climbamt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:00 PM   #48
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by climbamt View Post
We ride 50cc's in Baltimore all of the time, and have no issues. The Kymco People will beat most cars off of the line and can do well over 40 MPH. In Md, you are required to use the bike lane on a scooter if there is one.
In AZ you are absolutely prohibited from using the bike lanes with any motor vehicle, other than a home made motorized bicycle with an engine of 48cc or less and a top speed of no more than 20 mph. Or an electric bike. And the spandex crowd is having a fit about that. A scooter must be ridden in a traffic lane, and a top speed of under 40 mph on a 45 mph road where most people go 50 mph just isn't going to cut it. My Vino 125 and Zuma 125 are just fast enough.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #49
Reverend12
Well there it is..

Oddometer: 1,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurgerFriesDrink View Post
I believe the Zuma 125 is Fuel Injected:

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/pr...08/0/home.aspx

p.s. your avatar is funny

They are fuel injected. My 2009 is fuel injected
Reverend12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #50
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Yes the Zuma 125 is fuel injected, and has over $700 worth of electronic parts as a result of that. Part of the reason I bought mine is that I have been told over and over again that these parts do not fail on bikes. They had better not. Sadly that has not been my experience as an auto mechanic, I spend 40 hours a week hunting down and replacing bad electronic parts on cars and trucks.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #51
minimotos95
it's a KLR who cares

Oddometer: 167
love the C3, and if i can find a good deal on one while i have cash i will own it, when i test rode one it made me want one even more, decent seat, EFI and a smooth powerband, i have seen one with over 50000 miles on the clock... what more do you need from a 50cc scoot?

but like others have said the limiting factor is the 50cc motor, granted that 50cc motor makes it a lot cheaper to run in most states then a bigger scoot.

right now my registration is $96 the first year and every year after that it's $48. that's to comfortably cruise at 45mph and have a max speed of ~55mph pushing it to the limit.
the slower xf50 would be $6 every 3 years and get better fuel economy.

on the whole unsafe 50cc thing: if you are on a bike on any road that has 4-18 wheeled vehicles on it you're not safe. and the green light concern? even my old spree would beat traffic across the intersection, and the spree is slow, from what i've seen most scooters out accelerate you average car driver.

Dustin2, congrats on the new scoot, love the team yamaha blue C's
minimotos95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #52
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,312
^

i think it may just be a matter of where you live and how you ride. if i had started out on a 50cc i would most likely feel it is perfectly adequate and i would have rode in such a way to suit it

in fact i think i did for the first 18 months or so on a 125cc. i never really passed, lane split, or filtered at all. but now if traffic is moving 35mph and i want to split / filter cars on a scooter with a max speed of 35-40mph....how is that safe? you need more motor for that unless you want to be lane sharing (dangerous) as opposed to splitting. beat cars off the line on a 50? sure. because we are on the throttle and across the intersection by the time lackadaisical drivers are off the brake pedal. but after that? doing 40mph on a 40mph stretch will keep a person from wanting to beat cars our front because they will be passing you at 50-60mph in an instant

so is a 50cc safe in L.A. traffic? yes. if you ride it like a 50 and are very judicious about the moves you make. if not....it's not safe. not to ride in a complete flow where you stay ahead of reacting to traffic, or it reacting to you

and of course we understand NO bike is completely safe in traffic. but safer when combining bike and rider and riding style? sure, it can be said some bikes are more up to the task then others

that said...i have read in the forums here where riders post "i would NOT ride around L.A on anything less then a 500cc motorcycle!!

which is silly, of course. BUT if you have never rode or considered a 150cc scooter, maybe not so much?

DudeClone screwed with this post 08-13-2013 at 03:06 PM
DudeClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:49 PM   #53
minimotos95
it's a KLR who cares

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
^

so is a 50cc safe in L.A. traffic? yes. if you ride it like a 50 and are very judicious about the moves you make. if not....it's not safe. not to ride in a complete flow where you stay ahead of reacting to traffic, or it reacting to you
that's my thoughts on it too. you have to acknowledge you are the slowest thing on the road and not go on those 45+mph roads with heavy traffic or be passing cars you have no business passing
Quote:
beat cars off the line on a 50? sure. because we are on the throttle and across the intersection by the time lackadaisical drivers are off the brake pedal. but after that? doing 40mph on a 40mph stretch will keep a person from wanting to beat cars our front because they will be passing you at 50-60mph in an instant
i thought the concern was getting rear ended at a fresh green light? not actually beating the traffic but being able to accelerate as fast or faster as the average car driver does

i know i could deal with less motor i'm sure some can't due to their home/work location, city, route choice or riding style. i have had to use power to avoid a quite a few crashes but those were all caused by me putting too much trust in car drivers.

my philosophy is if it can't go on the highway but the government considers it a "motorcycle" why not go with the 50cc or something that can go on the highway. it's seems like you are paying to use the highways you can't use. that's coming from the guy that owns one of those non highway going motorcycles, and wouldn't turn down a grom or zuma 125.
however the c3 could make a good candidate for a forced induction 50cc, potentially combining the benefits of both.... okay getting a little too off topic, never mind.

there's still a lot of new leftover C3s out there, i have seen them for as little as $1400
i imagine in 40 years the C3 will be rare but forgotten like the kawasaki w1 and w2, which like the c3, dealers couldn't sell. one in a crate might make for a good investment since they do have a small following.
there's one good forum for the c3 i know of, i think called c3riders
minimotos95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #54
dustin2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
I'm quite pleased with the C3 thus far. I just put some fuel in and got 125 MPG US from it. It's exceptionally fun ripping around town but the OEM tires gotta go. I've been having fun in my local roundabouts and anywhere else I can grind away the low bits but I very nearly highsided exiting a corner yesterday in the dry. Since I bought this thing for BC winter riding, I'm going to assume the nylon Cheng Shin tires won't be very good when it's wet. I ordered some Schwalbe Weatherman tires from neighbouring WA.

http://www.schwalbetires.com/scooter_tires/weatherman

Bring on the winter :)

I'll say one thing about this scooter: 50cc or not, it's got to be the best way to get around town ever. It's the most fun, that's for sure
dustin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:24 PM   #55
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,312
hey guys maybe its been posted already (minimotos95 mentions this one above, pretty sure) but check out this forum. and check out the C3 photos on the page!! this thing has BIG potential as something very COOL. something opposite of what is usually thought of it, even for a scooter. but these are super clean

http://c3riders.freeforums.org/full-...y-t294-30.html

i am warming up to the idea of THIS scooter. not for its engine or styling, but its design. i am a huge fan of practicality in a scooter. and storage is a big plus. huge plus. below is what this scooter offers and it is very good. for trips very nearby me in my part of town i could easily see riding this scooter a lot. venturing further out on streets less traveled when need be

this scoot, it has some character. and a hella' lot of storage. a bit shallow? meh, who cares. its more than enough

DudeClone screwed with this post 08-13-2013 at 09:23 PM
DudeClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #56
dustin2
Gnarly Adventurer

The storage is better than you would expect. Although it doesn't fit a full face helmet, it gladly fits my Aerostich suit and gloves. I leave the helmet on the seat or carry it with me.

It fits a lot of groceries and stuff. It's 32 litres.

I almost never see a C3 on the roads but I see the Honda Jazz bloody everywhere. I saw four just today walking up to coffee shop
Old 08-14-2013, 02:45 AM   #57
JerryH
Vintage Rider

On most interstate highways you can ride 55 in the right lane, and be reasonably safe. Interstates do not usually have heavy traffic on them, though that depends on where you are at. In the Phoenix area, all the main streets are 45 mph, and traffic goes 50+ In all the lanes. You WILL get crushed if you try to ride a 50cc scooter on a 45 mph road here. And the green light thing is even worse. Most cars floor it when the light turns green, and hold it to the floor until they reach 50+ mph. They will run over you before they even know what happened. I have to accelerate at full throttle on my Vino 125 and Zuma 125 to avoid getting run over, and then they usually hang back blowing the horn until they get a chance to get around you, and they go flying by you at 70 mph. I drive 50 in a 45 zone in a car, and am constantly getting passed. I would have probably run over a 50cc scooter myself, except than unlike 99.9% of the drivers out there, I know what they are.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:15 PM   #58
dustin2
Gnarly Adventurer

Ready for winter

Old 11-24-2013, 06:51 AM   #59
ScooterDogMom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
They are deathtraps in most cities. Their super slow acceleration on 45 mph city streets will get you killed quick. I tried to ride 2 of them in the city. I wore an orange road construction vest and a white helmet. I converted the turn signals to 4 way flashers and left them on most of the time. If you are sitting at a red light, when that light turns green, the car (or around here, lifted truck) is going to take off in a normal manner (meaning fast) and there you are, a sitting duck, right in front of them. I had a couples do that, and couldn't brake in time, so they swerved up onto the sidewalk to avoid hitting me, blowing their horn and calling me every name in the book. A 50cc scooter is a suicide machine on city streets and if you keep riding one there, you are going to get seriously injured or killed.

I did find a fairly safe use for those 50cc scooters. My state has thousands of miles of 2 lane paved roads with shoulders, with speed limits up to 65 mph. I racked up several thousand miles riding on the shoulders of these roads, where bicyclists ride. I did get hit once, while riding a 50cc pedal moped, by some idiot in a Suburban who tried to pass on the shoulder. The same thing would have happened had I been on a bicycle. Most cities now have a lot of bicycle lanes, but scooters are not allowed to use them. Riding a 50cc scooter in city traffic is like being on foot in front of a cattle stampede.

If you live in a very small rural town, they may be fine. But not in a city, other than maybe on 25 mph residential streets, which isn't going to do you any good.

This is an accurate description of the perils of riding a 49cc in town. It is the reason why I sold my Met and bought a bigger 125cc scooter and even that has it's limits.

I still love the 49cc for country lane riding, however! They are so much fun! I rode a Ruckus and a Met in the rural areas for over 6 years and have a special affection for the small scoots.

I just added a 2011 leftover new C3 to my garage to keep my Buddy 125 company. I think it is an awesome scooter with some advantages over the Ruckus, my first scooter love.

I will pick it up in about a month. Probably during an ice storm or something and then I will have to wait and wait to ride it in the spring. LOL

ScooterDogMom screwed with this post 12-01-2013 at 05:04 PM
ScooterDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #60
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Oddometer: 498
Malossi makes a very good big bore kit for the C3 and New Zuma 50 4T that give it a nice midrange punch in traffic. That's one thing I like about this over the Honda Ruckus, you can get a lot more performance out of this motor.