User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #1981
4PawsHacienda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
[QUOTE=The Rat;21931344]"Get use to it"
Lets see, I've owned over 150 cars, over 30 motorcycles, 4 aircraft, countless boats, antique tractors....

Heck, sell it now before you get a chance to ride it - just like everything else.
4PawsHacienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:27 PM   #1982
MartyL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff View Post
I think he should just be ignored. I feel bad about the Ural being in the shop (if it's true), but the rest of what he's saying makes him sound like he's never ridden anything other than a Grand Marquis before.
Hey ! Don't go knocking the Grand Marquis. I can't count how many little old ladies take out their teeth and wave at me as I cruise by...o
MartyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:03 PM   #1983
The Rat
trust me!

Oddometer: 68
LOL.... This is great. (I haven't logged on for awhile) Yes, no shit, my Ural is at Frontline Eurosports in Salem Va. It's the green Patrol with the blown engine (not the green Gear Up with the blown engine. It's been a month, there may be another blown engine in there by now...) stop by, take a look. They're great guys, good coffee.

My only purpose to post on ADV was to inform people that might want to buy a Ural. The endless discussion on the stability of sidecar rigs and demonstration of the lack of public schools teaching basic physics only manages to keep my Ural review at the top of Google results. F*cking hilarious.

I'm going to go ride now, please discuss quietly among yourselves.

Just pretending to be a poseur
2012 Ural Patrol "Bad Penny" (Lemon Law Victim)
2004 R1150 GS blue/white
1990 DR350, 2005 R100S Boxer Cup Replika
The Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #1984
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,371
Promise Breakers

I read on this page, (will not quote the inmate)how the Ural management stands behind their product. Sure wish that were true.

Sometimes they do, & sometimes they don't & they have the most sorry of reasons.

I too am proud to ride a Ural & the fun factor is the highest. But the QC is in need of help.
There are several little things that the factory could & should do to correct current problems or Management should warranty these breaking parts.

Some of these Urals are billed out as off the road ADV vehicles.
Even in some of the ads a buyer will be swayed to buy because of the rough terrain shown as the Ural goes bouncing over & through places no other sidecar should undertake.
Now if an owner enjoys this kind of riding, they should know that warranty stops somewhere much earlier.

I will help out other Ural owners who have problems w/ the Ural Management.

Urals are improving but what do we do when the old guard does not honor their promise of a most impressive warranty ?
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:18 PM   #1985
The Rat
trust me!

Eek Hmmmm

What Ural lacks in quality, they do make up in honoring the warranty. Turns out, bad main bearing, they did a 100% rebuild (with a new crank) AND new pistons, cylinders, oil pump. PLUS reset my warranty for 6 extra months.

Bastards are making it hard to be pissed about the whole adventure. I sure do miss the ugly little bike....

2004 R1150 GS blue/white
Old 08-14-2013, 06:01 PM   #1986
The Rat
trust me!

And

I've been dealing with Jason. I got to tell you, with this clutch and now the engine rebuild, he's been 100% standup kinda guy. Props where props are due. Now, as always, YMMV...

2004 R1150 GS blue/white
Old 08-14-2013, 07:31 PM   #1987
Poacher Bob
Persona non grata

Oddometer: 2,184
Bokad you ain't...
Poacher Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:56 PM   #1988
Schatzman
I Saved Latin

Oddometer: 3,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poacher Bob View Post
Bokad you ain't...
There can be only one...
Schatzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #1989
Paint shaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
For a totally different Ural experience, try this thread;

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=906932

Rebel on the left, B*kad on the right:

www.paintshakerracing.com
Paint shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:40 PM   #1990
boatmole
Druken Wildebeest

Oddometer: 84
Interesting thread

In part I agree, Urals are a pot metal piece of shit with serious quality control issues. We have made a hobby of finding low mileage neglected Urals sitting in showrooms as displays, under tarps in garages, shops and carports, flat tires, rotten Russian Rubber. Most were maintenance neglected by the owners and left to rot, yes leaving the bike in the weather will kill it in short order. I've bought, restored and sold 10 of 11 Urals, all ran good as new when sold, all bugs gone. In all the years we've owned Urals only on the road issue had to do with carb going out of sync, 10 minute fix and of course in the 05 vintage final drive seals, just old Russian crappy rubber seals, upgraded seals always fixed the leak. Knock on wood, we never had a breakdown, if we did we carry enough tool to overhaul he Ural, the Ural feels the threat of impending repair, lol. I did have a few things loosen and a clutch pivot pin pop out, all my bad, should have looked it over more carefully, new/old stock purchase, just didn't get around to checking everything, no big deal, dealt with the minor issue and away we rode.

Yes there are a many upgrades over the years, but essentially the Ural is still basically a 1930's design motorcycle. It's a horizontally apposed 750cc motor pulling a bare bike of 740 pounds in addition to all the other crap we manage to load into them, try that with any other bike and make sure you increase your towing insurance and learn to hum pop-goes-the-Weasel.

I met a retired Army Sargent from East Coast just arriving 3 months later on his Ural took the long way to get to Tok, AK. guy was carrying 5 10 liter gas cans, spare wheels, ammo cans, more crap than I carry in my flatbed truck, NO ISSUES, it happens. I'd rather be lucky than smart.

Warranty with any product line depends on he Dealer (the man behind the machine) and the bike owner. We rely on Ski and Sami of Triquest Motorcycles in Santa Clara California. If we do our part to properly maintain the bike they are always there to support the no haggle warranty.

The bike industry is an endless story of shoddy workmanship and manufacturing from all makes, most you have to fight to get repairs, 5 BMWs 4 bad ones last 2007/2012 R1200GSA had serious issues, but BMW stood behind there product. Our new 2012 Honda Goldwing is a total piece of shit and constant battles with Honda over obvious flaws they call normal, finally fix and prove they were not normal. My Harley Road King sucked a cam chain tensioner and packed it in at 25,000 miles, $10,000 later it ran like new, cash out of pocket.

Since Harley quit making production sidecar rigs at twice the Ural price, now only Ural remains. Harley is no longer made in America, its made in Malaysia and other parts of the globe, assembled in America. Horrible riding sidecar rig, leaf springs on the tub make me seasick, driver gets beat to death by lack of sidecar suspension. Outrageously poor quality control. Crankshafts need .005 max runout (wobble) to run reliable gear drive valve train, Harley run up to .010 runout with chain drive to pick up the slop.

No question Urals require more tinkering to keep on the road, but not as much as you think, unless you intentionally trash your bike. We had a nasty accident on a Ural involving a Volvo car backing around a blind turn on the coast, broke my arm, wife got only bruises, on anything other than a Ural we would be dead. Ural only sustained $1000 damage, Old thick skinned Volvo is totaled. Bike repaired sold to friends who rode from San Francisco Bay Area to Brazil with very few issues, truck load of fun and memories. Their Ural "Uri" now happily reside at home in Austria. Respect the machine for what it is, don't try to make it something it's not, take care of like your life depends on it, it does, and you can have a long and very enjoyable relationship. Been married 37 years, Ural is much easier.
boatmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:35 AM   #1991
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,371
Warranty ?

boatmole, I like your write up & agree w/ nearly all.
But the dealer cannot warranty a Ural. Sure there are major items which should be a no brainer but Ural Management must actually SEE the problem & then, KEEP YOUR FINGERS CROSSED. Why do you think Management wants to SEE before they OK your repairs ? I would understand they will learn more about what breaks but you still have to wait for Ural Management's nod.

But to sit 3,000 miles away & tell my dealer ''NYET'' to fixing the cracks in our GU sidecar body (still under the new units 2 year warranty) is WRONG.
Especially when Ural Management approves repairs on other GUs w/ the very same crack issues.

Have replaced both bearings in the sidecar hub & sidecar u-joint & straightened the secondary drive shaft, I do a lot of water crossings. These items are a result of water intrusion. There really is little or no way to keep water out here. Unless they (hub bearings) were forced packed orginally w/ a marine wheel bearing grease before assembly.

Just a side note, on our next new Ural, we will do a total disassembly & fill both sidecar hub bearings w/ marine wheel bearing grease.

I have one of the best dealers in the country. He sent me a seal instantly when I talked to him over the phone. But I do not expect him to go out of pocket for warranty repairs.

I have gone out of pocket to fix (stop the cracks) on the sidecar body & the above.

Would Ural Management approve internal repairs to motor or transmission...I would only say that is totally up to Ural Management & not my dealer. But I would trust Gene (dealer) to do the very best warranty repairs or any other Ural related fixins.

At this time I would never consider paying for an extended warrenty. But I would sock that $ away for the coming repairs.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:48 PM   #1992
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rat View Post
What Ural lacks in quality, they do make up in honoring the warranty. Turns out, bad main bearing, they did a 100% rebuild (with a new crank) AND new pistons, cylinders, oil pump. PLUS reset my warranty for 6 extra months.

Bastards are making it hard to be pissed about the whole adventure. I sure do miss the ugly little bike....
It's good that they are taking care of it. But it sucks to be without your bike for weeks/months during prime riding season.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:03 AM   #1993
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
Wow.

Just...wow.

I saw a nice Ural and got to thinking...

Then I read through all this.

The OP was right about a lot of things from the look of it. I aint talking about Urals.

This has been an entertaining diversion, but I think I'll stick to BMWs. They shit me, make me wanna stab random Germans in the face, and posts on forums from other owners have me searching IP addresses and sharpening my hunting knife...but fuck me...it beats the shit out of Ural ownership from the look of it.

I never realised how lucky I had it. I have seen the light...blessed be the name of BMW..
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:12 AM   #1994
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
Had a K bike for 10 years.

Have a Ural since 2007.

K bike stranded me twice; expensive repairs that required a flatbed ride to the dealer.

Ural has not ever been towed to dealer. It has had minor issues but all were fixed by me at the side of the road and then able to carry on.

Overall, Ural is more road reliable.

Not everything you read on the interweeb is true.

Carry on as you were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
Wow.

Just...wow.

I saw a nice Ural and got to thinking...

Then I read through all this.

The OP was right about a lot of things from the look of it. I aint talking about Urals.

This has been an entertaining diversion, but I think I'll stick to BMWs. They shit me, make me wanna stab random Germans in the face, and posts on forums from other owners have me searching IP addresses and sharpening my hunting knife...but fuck me...it beats the shit out of Ural ownership from the look of it.

I never realised how lucky I had it. I have seen the light...blessed be the name of BMW..

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:28 AM   #1995
Audaciter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,692
My current bike also had some of those infamous "Y U NO ISSUE RECALL" type issues. The bike has been brilliant, including some undeserved thrashing that I've given it.

The truth is that far more people post on the internet when something goes wrong than when you have another uneventful day on the bike.

There is ALWAYS going to be somebody that doesn't like what you purchase. Everything from your bike to your favorite brand of coffee. Somewhere, somebody thinks you are idiot for buying what you did.

Only way to deal with 'em? Tell them to F' off and ride your own ride.
Audaciter is offline   Reply With Quote