Cant ride for crap

Oddometer: 3,726
That looks like fun Rayb!!!

Pezz_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:17 PM   #242
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,675
I just read a bit of the last few posts. Back in 2011 I was contemplating some alterations to the custom airbox to make it a little easier to work with.

It's now 2013, Trek Too is getting there and, I've finally got some effective mods done to the damned airbox that I'm happy with.

This is how it was originally manufactured by Leigh. 'Version 1'.

What it did was make changing the filter MUCH easier. If you've been reading this thread you may recall that the oem airbox is a disaster for maintenance. I'll leave it at that.
Version 1 fixed that. But it did mean that the battery becameless accessable.

Installing the airbox required that the left side plenum - the detached part - had to be installed before the airbox proper slipped in between the carbs & the frame spine. There was a bit of an issue with clearance that patience solved. Also, we never quite got the junction to seal, so there was always air & dust leaking in. No real drama at it was still filtered air.

One of the things that slowedme down was this psychological need to have Leigh do any modifications that were required. Mainly because I trusted him to do it properly. Problem there is that Leigh is 1000km away. And he's got his own stuff to do.

Ultimately, recently, after more surgery & recovery and injury and recovery, I pulled the digit and took it down to a local engineering shop.

Produce 'Version 1.2'

I had them cut the rear part of the right plenum off. That gives me access to the battery.

The shape & volume of the whole airbox is very important on these Trumps so, I had them weld in some sleeves so I could maintain the whole volume.

A bit of silastic around it should keep it in place. If not, it will run really badly & I'll know. It can't fall out. The sidecover keeps it in place. If the silastic doesn't work I can install a grub screw, or something similar.

On the left side, I got them to make a similar sleeve arrangement on the plenum with the intent of again sealing it with silastic. That was a failure as the extra 10 mm of aluminium on the plenum made it really difficult to get it all installed. Back to the drawing board and back onto Leigh to see was was happening with 'Version 2'. I'm not showing you, 'cause that's Leigh's perogative. Whenhegetsaroundtuit. It's far more important for him to do the work than tell the world about it.

I got some cardboard and a bit of corrugated drainage tube. The tube went through the cardboard. I took that, and the airbox, around a few places trying to find something that maybe I could assemble.

Then, common sense prevailed and I went back to the engineers. No drama, they just sent me across the road and, a few minutes later, I had procurred some radiator hose (about 80mm id, I think it is) and a hose fitting. I left it all with the blokes with skill, knowledge and ability.

Here ya go. 'Version 1.3'

The left plenum becomes redundant (it's now on a shelf). The new circular plenum bolts onto the rear of the airbox and the radiator hose slips onto it.

The airbox goes in,with little drama or jiggling or holding my tongue at just the right angle. And there is space for me to install the plenum after that has been done.

Plus, the oversize battery can be accessed without much drama.

Next issue was to join the upstream end of the tubular plenum with the smaller diameter tube that came from the sidecar.

Confirmation ofthe sensitivity of the air flow was found in the fact that I had to keep the choke on whilst riding the outfit back to my engineers. For some reason, which we suspect may be associated with the CV carbs that wouldn't be present if they were throttle action slides, it just runs way too lean if you give it more air. This despite the fact that there is an airfilter in the airstream.

Too complicated for me to worry about. Just get it to work.

Fixing it needed a right angle connector, with different diameter fittings. Few days later....

Installed and working.

Nothing like a happy chappy.

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #243
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay

I must've got a bee on my bum or something, 'cause I decided to sort out my accessory power outlets. Plural.

There was one Anderson clip, direct to the battery on the right side.

I've got a pair of jumper leadsthat I can plug in if required.

In the sidecar, there were 2 BMW style plugs. I replaced one of those with a double USB outlet.

I also made a proper connection to my GPS from the BMW type outlet in the sidecar. The GPS now resides in the sidecar, rather than right in front of me on the handlebars.

Not content with that, I put in a normal cigarette lighter outlet on the fairing inner. It's positioned so I can't use it whilst riding. Time will tell if that is a good thing or not. I was principally concerned about having power to lights at camp sites and power to my mini air compressor. Plus I can plug in a battery trickle charger for those times when I get too soft to ride it.

I've also made an extension that plugs in to the BMW power outlet and has a cig lighter outlet fitting at the other end.

Lucky it's a sidecar, otherwise there'd be no space for all the shit I've got.

I still haven't sorted the petrol taps. The reserve tap is fine. The main tap doens't flow properly, despite the fact that air blows through it fine. Maybe air is less dense than petrol?

The fuel pump for the auxillary tank has died. Need a replacement. $$ It can wait a few more weeks until a couple of other tasks are paid for.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:12 PM   #244
Clancy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,762
I like what you've done with that Ray Noice. I might steal the USB idea too. Can't have enough connectors.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:55 AM   #245
sevenpointsixtwo
Newb Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 198
I just found this thread; nice work on your build! Looks like a ton of fun.

A question regarding the air box: I like how you've plumbed the intake into the sidecar to avoid pulling in too much dust from the wheel, but why make all the effort to keep the plenums on both sides in the first place? It seems like a lot of engineering/effort/material went into it, when simple tuning might suffice.

On my '98 Tiger, the previous owner had chopped off everything aft of the panel filter, leaving only a bezel that bolts on to keep the filter in place. The carbs were jetted appropriately, and it runs like mad now! I haven't ridden a stock one for comparison, but I have none of the issues that I've read are associated with modifying the airbox on these bikes. The downside is that the filter gets quite dusty, and there's no snorkel to keep water out. But cleaning the filter is quick and easy with the plenums removed; just unscrew the bezel and slide it all out the side.

That said, the aluminum one is beautiful and I wish I could get a similar setup with a foam filter like yours as opposed to the K&N. Good luck with the rest of the projects!

1998 Tiger 900
2000 DRZ400E
sevenpointsixtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:58 AM   #246
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay

The first one was trying to re-create the appearance. Leigh put a lot ofwork into it that we both now realise isn't required.

We had heard / read lots of stories about the problems owners had created by modifying or removing the oem job. I'd played around a bit and discovered that, on my bike at least, the volume of air upstream of the filter seemed to be crucial, as did the air speed. Most obvious thing was taking the cover off the second plenum just didn't work. We were also uninterested in making lots of effort to alter the jetting.

Re-creating the shape of the standard box just seemed logical, if difficult. But that's what was done.

In any event, the first version is always changed for subsequent versions. I've got mine to the point where it seems to be working ok. Leigh has version 2 in process for his sidecar plus, I've just delivered another 900 Tiger to him that will have, eventually, another version of the same set up. This third Tiger is staying solo. It makes sense for Leigh to have two bikes that can interchange parts and modify as the mood takes him.

The whole thrust has been to keep the thing breathing clean air when I am on dirt tracks. I was in the Flinders Ranges once and a second time in western NSW (not that far from home) and the whole show has come to a coughing, spluttering halt. If it's a really PITA job one is less likely to do it until it's really necessary - ie too late. I reckon I also got myself confused as to whether I had done it or not after a previous ride.

I no longer have that excuse. In future it will just be because I'm bone lazy.

Being generous, Triumph probably didn't expect them to be ridden for several days along dirt roads. But why should I be generous - the engineer should be strung up by his balls!

Old 07-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #247
sevenpointsixtwo
Newb Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripodtiger View Post
Being generous, Triumph probably didn't expect them to be ridden for several days along dirt roads. But why should I be generous - the engineer should be strung up by his balls!
Agreed. Great work in any case! I've installed a sheet of UNI filter foam over top of my open K&N in an effort to mitigate the dust intake. I may have overdone the filter oil though; every time I park the bike for a bit, it seems to pee itself with oil seeping out of the filter!

1998 Tiger 900
2000 DRZ400E
sevenpointsixtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:25 PM   #248
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenpointsixtwo View Post
Agreed. Great work in any case! I've installed a sheet of UNI filter foam over top of my open K&N in an effort to mitigate the dust intake. I may have overdone the filter oil though; every time I park the bike for a bit, it seems to pee itself with oil seeping out of the filter!

I tried, and failed, with the pre-filter thing.

I attempted to fit a Unifilter pod on the open end of the inlet. Fail.

I attempted to fit 2 Unifilter pods on the open end of both inlets. Fail.

Anyway, that engineer should watch out, come the revolution!

Old 07-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #249
slowbike smallpenis
Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer: 19,542
G'day Ray - wondering if you considered relocating the battery to the sidecar?
Old 07-30-2013, 06:45 PM   #250
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay

G'day Mark,
thought about it, and thought about having a second battery but in the end it didn't happen on my outfit. The battery was upgraded to a much larger capacity. Given these new lithium ones coming out, a second battery may be a simple option & could fit into the pockets of the nose cone.

The new one, nearing a finish but waiting on some flash suspension (current image of LeighSA -) will have a battery installed in the sidecar. He's formed up a box at the front inner, near where the auxilliary power points are in mine. He's made quite a lot of minor, and many very major, changes in the second one. The sad thing for all the watchers is that he's a computer gumby and a photographic 'not yet competent' so it will be rolling, registered, maybe even several years old before anyone gets to see anything of it here.

No secret that we are planning a two Tigers ride in late September. Just in time of the SOC rally on The Bridle Track. Of course what happens in the future is, as yet, only a plan.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:06 AM   #251
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay

Current image of LeighSA

Old 08-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #252
LeighSA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripodtiger View Post
Current image of LeighSA
Ha Ha Ray

Triumph Tiger 900 Solo

Triumph Tiger 900 Sidecar
LeighSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:01 PM   #253
warrior1677
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 691
In the sidecar, there were 2 BMW style plugs. I replaced one of those with a double USB outlet.

Where did you get the USB outlets? i haven't been able to find any thing like this

"Ladies, if your man puts straight gas in a chainsaw, you have a girlfriend." gtn
warrior1677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:50 PM   #254
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior1677 View Post

Where did you get the USB outlets? i haven't been able to find any thing like this
I thought, since this thread is now on the back burner, I'd subscribed to it?

That's why I hadn't replied.

The double USB socket just came from a car parts store. Autoone, here in Wagga. Hanging in a blister pack with all the electrical accessories.

Sorry about the delay in reply.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:31 PM   #255
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay

Having been on Tigertriple.com, where they are still discussing the airfilter on the T300/T400 Trumpys, I thought I'd actually make this little movie from a mid-tour clean last September.
Just confirming how effective the modification is. Worth all of Leigh's headaches!