Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2013, 04:19 AM   #781
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,822
I left Taos this AM after being awakened by a small bear in the camp, 575 miles of twisties and slab, no problem at all cruising at 80, and the speedometer is balls on accurate with a GPS up to 100, don't ask how I know this. Doing a roadside oil change tomorrow AM before finishing up my journey. And a pic of my set-up set up...
Old 08-16-2013, 06:39 AM   #782
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
It looks like I'm going to have to wait until after Winter to buy my X. I hope supply is well enough to get one ordered this Spring with no issues.

Silly Midwest only has two street bikes, sport bikes or Harleys . . .
I really appreciate all the feedback. Keep the details coming :)
I beg to differ. There are 4 kinds of bikes in the silly Midwest. You left out Goldwings, and Japanese Harley clones.

To keep this on topic, I'm going to have to get to the local dealers and see if either one has an X in stock. I like the idea of light bikes. One of the most fun bikes I've ever owned was a Honda Hawk GT. A little lighter than the 500's, a lot more trick, probably a little more torque, probably a little less horsepower. The only thing I didn't like about the Hawk was mediocre gas mileage combined with a small tank equaled short range. The 500's remedy this.
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:36 PM   #783
DonQx
Peripathetic @ Heart

Oddometer: 1,688
Now that's looking good

It has started ... seems the real thing too ...

(pics found at or linked from https://www.facebook.com/thaihonda.crosschallenge)

at the left

DonQx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #784
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQx View Post
It has started ... seems the real thing too ...

A revised suspension and 19-in front wheel should do well enough for me.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:00 PM   #785
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,136
Wow.

Good for those guys.

Sometimes I read an ADV 'wish list' and just roll my eyes. At least these guys took a platform and rolled with it.

IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:46 PM   #786
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,689
Come on Honda, just make a 500X ADV version from the factory with that suspension/wheel concept and you would sell a ton of them!!! Like Kawi w/ the Versys package YOU so are sooo close yet missing the mark.

Hell just offer and optional off-road bolt on package to complete the deal.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:16 AM   #787
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,821
Anyone on Facebook know how the 500X went in the race above?

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:47 AM   #788
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
Come on Honda, just make a 500X ADV version from the factory with that suspension/wheel concept and you would sell a ton of them!!! Like Kawi w/ the Versys package YOU so are sooo close yet missing the mark.

Perhaps. Let's talk about this.

There isn't a bike in the market that comes ready for rally. "Adventure", in the name or the concept, there are plenty of bikes out there. But you still need to upgrade suspension on those bikes, add engine and sump protection, raise bars, and the list goes on.

That is, if Honda made an "adventure" version, it would still be lacking. I prefer to start from a blank slate and pick the components that I want and make it to suit to my view of what "adventure" is. I bet your view is different than mine.

Honda's advantage for the CBX500 as a good starting platform:
- relatively light (430 lbs wet?)
- right motor size (good for the paved road and no need for a gigantic fuel tank to get 200 mile + range, more than enough power for dirt),
- assume Honda quality (let's see about that, but my bet is that it is good)
- not an expensive starting point.

When I saw this bike I thought, good, a great starting point, something that doesn't look like a moto-cross look-a-like thumper from the early 80's. And a 2-cyl motor, my favorite. And the price is right.

I'd rather be riding!

Old 08-17-2013, 08:21 AM   #789
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post

Don't hold your breath waiting. The money is in the mass markets, not the niche markets. Why not buy it stock, do the mods yourself and make it you own.

Regards, Paul
Old 08-17-2013, 08:40 AM   #790
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
Don't hold your breath waiting. The money is in the mass markets, not the niche markets. Why not buy it stock, do the mods yourself and make it you own.

Regards, Paul
Some of us don't want to, don't know how to or don't have any tools.
Some live in apartments and don't have a garage. Some don't have skill
needed.

Me?
I'm all of the above.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #791
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
A revised suspension and 19-in front wheel should do well enough for me.
There seems to be a lot of "Factory-ish" bits on those bikes. Maybe Honda's using them as a test mule sort of thing.

I'd be OK with just the 19" front wheel being the only change. Much bigger choice in tires at that point.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:30 AM   #792
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,129
I know it's been beat to death but I'll stand by my bitching,,,,, adding an inch or two more travel on both ends and a 19 inch wheel just wouldn't have added a huge amount of money to this bike. I doubt it would add 500$ if Honda did it. I know an additional inch or two of travel and a 19 inch wheel doesn't sound like it would make a huge difference but it really does.

Since his isn't a repli-racer,, the extra travel and the 19 inch wheel wouldn't be a huge detriment on the street. IMO, they would not have lost sales due to the travel, the 19 inch wheel or the 250-500$ more max it woulda cost. IMO, they would have gained some sales from having a pretty decent, low cost alternative to something like the BMW singles and chain driven twins.

If Honda would learn from BMW, the advantages of building multiple bikes off of one bike,,,,,,,,,, they'd do even better. If some on here or Honda really thinks that 500$ would make or break this bike, if the people buying this would just hate it if lost the least little smidge of on tarmac handling due to the extra travel and larger wheel diameter,,,,,,,,, they should off another model that offers those as an additional cost model. I honestly think that might be the best option if people really think 250-500$ would make or break this bike.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:30 PM   #793
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
I know it's been beat to death but I'll stand by my bitching,,,,, adding an inch or two more travel on both ends and a 19 inch wheel just wouldn't have added a huge amount of money to this bike. I doubt it would add 500$ if Honda did it. I know an additional inch or two of travel and a 19 inch wheel doesn't sound like it would make a huge difference but it really does.

Since his isn't a repli-racer,, the extra travel and the 19 inch wheel wouldn't be a huge detriment on the street. IMO, they would not have lost sales due to the travel, the 19 inch wheel or the 250-500$ more max it woulda cost. IMO, they would have gained some sales from having a pretty decent, low cost alternative to something like the BMW singles and chain driven twins.

If Honda would learn from BMW, the advantages of building multiple bikes off of one bike,,,,,,,,,, they'd do even better. If some on here or Honda really thinks that 500$ would make or break this bike, if the people buying this would just hate it if lost the least little smidge of on tarmac handling due to the extra travel and larger wheel diameter,,,,,,,,, they should off another model that offers those as an additional cost model. I honestly think that might be the best option if people really think 250-500$ would make or break this bike.
I don't necessarily disagree, but the make or break with the 500 series is as an entry-level bike in Yurp on the new A2 licence, or a premium purchase in emerging markets.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #794
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post

This bike IS the result of a three bikes from one platform - remember R, F and X. Only thing is that it is based on a street platform.

There isn't much on this bike that would limit it much in relation to a BMW 700GS or Tiger 800 roadie in terms of light "adventure". I would say the Honda is ready, and would do the same someone can do on a 700GS or the Tiger roadie. Except for the extra power of those other bikes, of course. Yes, a larger front wheel could be good, but it would still not be a spoke wheel, right? So, anyway, you wouldn't do anything radical, so you won't need more suspension travel or a 19 in wheel, right? I would say, go get it and ride it away towards the horizon. It will do fine!

Now, for my version of adventure, which carries a "rally" perspective, the 700GS won't cut it. Neither does the 500X. But it is less expensive to start from the 500X than it is from the BMW. Even the 800GS needs some expensive upgrades to make it a rally bike - and it is heavy and expensive to start with.

By the way, I saw the 500X for the first time today. I like the lightness of it when sitting on it, moving it from side to side, feels very light. Nice. It is "cheap" looking in all respects, though. Which is OK if you plan to ride it rough. You won't feel bad about scratching it, breaking plastic here and there.

Adding one inch height from a 19in wheel + one inch suspension travel front and one inch+ on the back should still keep it reasonable in terms of seat height. Have to check clearance on front end for compression of a revised fork.

Front fender... there is room to go up, and it seems doable to create braces to raise it an inch to accommodate a larger wheel. Having only one disc on front makes it easy to remove the low fender, if one so desires, and add a motocross fender.

Suspension travel, obviously it can be done. I would not add too much travel (perhaps one inch, maybe some more not much). A good suspension component might be more relevant for most uses. Something that the 800GS and the Tiger 800XC do not have!

Wheels, I would suggest spoke wheels with a tubeless setup. Tubeless. a thing one could want to do with the 800GS, for example.

Therefore, it seems it can be done. It will cost to make it right, a lot more than $500, but the result can be a nice rally bike.

But for most people, like it was mentioned earlier here, this bike is ready to go. At the most, change the tires. And it will do very well.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR screwed with this post 08-17-2013 at 03:04 PM
Old 08-18-2013, 11:01 AM   #795
Thasiet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
Adding one inch height from a 19in wheel + one inch suspension travel front and one inch+ on the back should still keep it reasonable in terms of seat height.
Do you believe the damper rod from an NC700X would be interchangeable with the one on this bike? Both are 41mm Showas, and per the parts fiche, many of the fork internals have the same part numbers. This might be a dead nuts simple way to bump the front up to 6.0 inches of travel, especially if one was already going spelunking down there to install a set of cartridge emulators.
Thasiet is offline   Reply With Quote