User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 08:42 AM   #121
Unscathed
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Yup - I'm in the club.
Titanium plates on both collarbones after multiply fracturing each one in two different accidents...
Now one of the plates has a screw backing out of it, and I look a bit like frankenstein when the shirt's off!
Unscathed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #122
diesel1959
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unscathed View Post
Yup - I'm in the club.
Titanium plates on both collarbones after multiply fracturing each one in two different accidents...
Now one of the plates has a screw backing out of it, and I look a bit like frankenstein when the shirt's off!
I feel your pain--two of the screws in the plate in my humerus have backed out quite a bit. They've planned more work for that, but only AFTER I'm back on two feet.

diesel1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #123
lineareagle OP
philomath

Oddometer: 502
@ Zora

"So in other words, it will be dark and gloomy for awhile there, my fellow injured inmates, but if you live to ride, there is hope! "

I believe just about everyone on this thread plans to ride or is riding now, even after being a member of the 'club'.
I have to hand it to you though, you got gumption to be out there hill climbing with a brace on your elbow!

'06 1200 GS Adv - non A
lineareagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #124
Filthy Cheesemonkey
satans lapdog

Oddometer: 3
Hi to all the members of what I am sure is a very illustrious club.

Had my leg shortened for me a few years ago which was pretty inconvenient and scared the bejeesus out of my wife and kids.

The road to recovery can be very long and hard but its inside your head that the worst battles are fought.
Back on the bike now and happier than the proverbial pig with lots more exploring to do.

The irony of repairing the mighty KTM from the comfort of my wheelchair was not lost on my family and friends with most seeing the funny side but a few willing to push their own anti bike stance. Don't let those afraid of living life pull you down.

Happy trails.

Filthy Cheesemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #125
UNO_RIDER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Cheesemonkey View Post

Had my leg shortened for me a few years ago which was pretty inconvenient and scared the bejeesus out of my wife and kids.

The road to recovery can be very long and hard but its inside your head that the worst battles are fought.
Back on the bike now and happier than the proverbial pig with lots more exploring to do.

The irony of repairing the mighty KTM from the comfort of my wheelchair was not lost on my family and friends with most seeing the funny side but a few willing to push their own anti bike stance. Don't let those afraid of living life pull you down.

Happy trails.

Ouch...Looks like it hurt, just a little. Lots of hardware for sure. Nice legs!

2014 KTM 500EXC; Gold Valves RaceTech, FMF, EURO MAP, 14/50
2011 KX450F, Race Tech, Scotts
UNO_RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #126
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:

Happy trails.

So, how did that happen?
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:06 PM   #127
Filthy Cheesemonkey
satans lapdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNO_RIDER View Post
Ouch...Looks like it hurt, just a little. Lots of hardware for sure. Nice legs!
Yep, there goes my leg modelling career.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #128
Filthy Cheesemonkey
satans lapdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C.F.RIDER View Post

So, how did that happen?
Dirt road in the middle of nowhere instigated by a Toyota Landcruiser 4x4 who was more surprised to see me than I was to see him 'cos he skidded through the corner and wiped me out.
Fortunately he stopped and did the right thing, even if he did not know where he was.
I had to give him GPS readings to relay to the paramedics so they could send the rescue chopper.
Two months in two different hospitals, 8 operations and 4 months not walking.
The leg is just over an inch shorter than it used to be but there's nothing wrong with walking like a pirate.
A few adjustments to the positioning of the brake pedal and where back in business.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #129
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,480
Quote:

Happy trails.

Oh look, his littlee pee-pee shows up in the x-ray! Ha ha. I have a shot like this with mine showing and my family LOVES to laugh at me about it. Wish I knew how to get my x-rays to digital...

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:42 PM   #130
Sp4rks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237

Nope, not yet, that college girl in a SUV I got in a car accident with almost initiated me(And my passenger, still, everyone walked away without a scratch, so that's what matters) though. Went like this:

*Wreck happens, my car does a 180, I'm disorientated as hell*

"What's that white shit on my steering wheel?"

"Oh shit, that's my airbag"

"What's that other white shit coming from my dash?"

"Oh, that's smoke"

"Didn't hurt much, must have been a fender bender or something"

At this point I get the other driver out of her SUV, I don't even look at my car, more concerned with checking out my passenger and the other driver for injuries, I'm still disorientated, adrenalin rush still has me going at 110%.

"Wait, a third car in the wreck? Holy shit, that Mazda 3 got fucked up"

"Wait, there's only two cars in the wreck, and that's my Mazda 3 that got fucked up, god dammit"
Old 08-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #131
Wingfixer
Watch this...

Oddometer: 3,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
Oh look, his littlee pee-pee shows up in the x-ray! Ha ha. I have a shot like this with mine showing and my family LOVES to laugh at me about it. Wish I knew how to get my x-rays to digital...
I'll let someone else say it......
Old 08-15-2013, 08:25 PM   #132
UNO_RIDER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfixer View Post
I'll let someone else say it......
Sometimes you just have to look at the pie to get ideas. Looking at pie can cause grown men to win wars. I love apple pie!

2014 KTM 500EXC; Gold Valves RaceTech, FMF, EURO MAP, 14/50
2011 KX450F, Race Tech, Scotts

UNO_RIDER screwed with this post 08-19-2013 at 04:20 PM
UNO_RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:50 AM   #133
Wingfixer
Watch this...

Oddometer: 3,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNO_RIDER View Post
Sometimes you just have to look at the pie to get ideas. Looking at pie can cause grown men win wars. I love cherry pie!
ftfy
Old 09-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #134
Hardhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,427
Update

Well everything went well for the recovery. Well at least for the first 6 months. Back on the bike riding, most road but hey, that was a good start.
But I was having trouble putting pressure on my arm (pushing). Standing up etc.
Turns out the implant had come loose and was wearing at the bone. This in turn had put my wrist out of alignement by about 4 mm. Not much but enough to cause issues.

The short of it is, they went in 2 weeks ago and replaced the replacment with a different sort of prosthesis.
It has realigned my wrist and I now have no pain and probably more movement than I did before the latest op.

It can only get better from here....

Sorry no Xrays to share this time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhead View Post
I became a 3 time inductee in November 2012.
Previous to this latest effort, I already had a screw in my knee from an ACL reco a couple of years earlier. I had 1 screw removed as it started to work its way out. I've also had pins in the thumb but they worked their way out too and had to be removed.

All bike related

The latest effort included five hours of surgery as 90% of the soft tissue was torn from the bone.

Still recovering but hopefully I'll be back on the bike in about 4-6 weeks.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:38 AM   #135
NWBoon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Just joined the club

During the last weekend of August I crashed my DR650 on a forest service road which caused a fractured ankle and fibula, as well as ligament damage. 2 screws for the fractured ankle bone, 2 screws to repair the ligament, and a cast for the fibula. The doc will remove the 2 screws that were used to repair the ligament(s) in about 2 months.

First broken/fractured bones at 41 years old. I got back into motorcycle riding about 4 years ago after not riding for about 16 years. I was also introduced to dual sport riding about 2 years ago and really fell in love with riding in the wilderness.

I rode every day (street) during my college years and somehow managed to escape injury even though I was pretty reckless back then.

Question for those in this club: will my ankle/fibula be a "weak spot" or will it be as strong as before the crash after healing? If I crash again and injure the same area, will the 2 remaining screws be an issue (meaning will having metal parts contribute to more serious injury?)

NWBoon is offline   Reply With Quote