Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2013, 12:17 PM   #61
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Most "new" motorcycles lack a lot of things that made older one practical. Most new bikes come without centerstands, even though a lot of them still have tube type tires and chain drive. New bikes do not have kickstarters. What happens when the battery goes dead? On the other hand, most are now fuel injected (which most owners cannot work on) and can't be kick started with a dead battery anyway, no power to run the fuel pump. And what about the greatest bike accessory of all, the highback rack. Anybody remember those? They were a fairly large luggage rack/backrest combination that you could get for almost all '60s, '70s, and '80 bikes. I had many of them. Those, along with centerstands, kickstarters, and carbs, made for some very practical bikes. Oh, and don't forget seats. Most of those older bikes had long, wide, flat seats that were very comfortable, and 2 up riding could even be done on smaller bikes.
I stopped at a Hon/Kaw/Suz/Yam dealer today and looked around. I saw virtually nothing that interested me. The seats on at least 70% of the bikes were horrible. Passenger seats? Maybe 10% had a decent passenger seat. This is why Corbin, Sargent and other custom seat makers are in business.

On the other hand, I was at my local Kymco/KTM dealer yesterday and they had several bikes I'd love to have.

Luckily, most scooters still come with centerstands and tubeless tires. My Kymco even has a back up kickstarter.

Neither of my motorcycles has a center stand but I found and easy way around that.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #62
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
I stopped at a Hon/Kaw/Suz/Yam dealer today and looked around. I saw virtually nothing that interested me. The seats on at least 70% of the bikes were horrible. Passenger seats? Maybe 10% had a decent passenger seat. This is why Corbin, Sargent and other custom seat makers are in business.

On the other hand, I was at my local Kymco/KTM dealer yesterday and they had several bikes I'd love to have.

Luckily, most scooters still come with centerstands and tubeless tires. My Kymco even has a back up kickstarter.

Neither of my motorcycles has a center stand but I found and easy way around that.

http://www.car-poster-gallery.com/im...7231-pso88.jpg

If this design was updated, it would be an awesome scoot. Swingarm, monoshock, luggage rack, large comfortable seat.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:32 AM   #63
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,717
The reason I mentioned CVT belts is that they serve double duty, both changing ratios and driving the rear wheel as well. I have owned a belt drive Suzuki and found it to be excellent. I got tired of the cruiser after only 20,000 miles but the belt was fine.
This endless nattering about hill climbing seems pointless to me. If you want to climb a hill fast don't ride 150ccs. It's been that way since motorcycles were invented.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #64
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by conchscooter View Post
The reason I mentioned CVT belts is that they serve double duty, both changing ratios and driving the rear wheel as well. I have owned a belt drive Suzuki and found it to be excellent. I got tired of the cruiser after only 20,000 miles but the belt was fine.
This endless nattering about hill climbing seems pointless to me. If you want to climb a hill fast don't ride 150ccs. It's been that way since motorcycles were invented.
I don't want to climb a hill fast on 150cc. What I want is a gear that will keep the ENGINE spinning fast while I am climbing the hill slowly.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:48 AM   #65
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I don't want to climb a hill fast on 150cc. What I want is a gear that will keep the ENGINE spinning fast while I am climbing the hill slowly.
Jerry, it sounds like you need a Grom

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:07 PM   #66
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Jerry, it sounds like you need a Grom
What I actually need is the Grom engine/transmission in a scooter.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:26 PM   #67
Reprobate
Sarcasm Loading....

Oddometer: 6,290
My old book covers:

Vespa PX200E, manual 4-speed transmission, two-stroke.

Piaggio still makes a new Vespa PX150E with disc brakes and manual transmission.
I write the Amsterdam Assassin Series (suspense fiction), if you want to know more or support me by buying my work, please check out my website Tao of Violence and blog Amsterdam Assassin Series for news and links to the ebooks.
Reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote