Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2013, 07:27 AM   #1
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,950
CJ Designs CJDL-650-R

Hi V-strom riders.

I'm newish to this bike, but not to Adventure riding. I've always thought the V-strom platform could be a great bike to offer a nice DS Bike with a few mods. This last winter a local rider/ bike owner and I put some thought into it and decided to give it a go.

Seeing as how there is such a limited amount of 650cc DS bike built to handle luggage and offer easy servicing and long life.

I've been working on a BOLT ON kit over the winter to upgrade the V-strom to 21" front, 17" or 18" rear spoked wheel setup. Up the suspension travel to 10" and drop some weight from the bike. Un hindered turning radius for tight trails.

We've put about 800 miles on it so far and plan to head to CO for a real world torture test end of Aug. We've testing it on Feeway, backroads, ATV trails and 2 -track. I am amazed that it turned out to be such a versatile bike and it works great on the trail. This will be shown at the CJD Steamboat Campground rally Sept 11/12 at the campgound also if anyone wants to check it out and give your input. This is the working prototype at this moment, with a FULL Strength BASH plate in the works this week. Future REKLUSE auto Clutch testing is in the works too.

If you love your V-strom, but always wanted a little more, this could be it.

Trail trim spec with out rear ruggage rack and panniers was 425 lbs, 1 gallon of fuel. I'm very happy with that as most of the weight came off the front end to make the bike work better in the rough stuff.

We made a custom rear shock, triple clamps and few other parts to make this a BOLT ON kit. I plan to do another built up this Fall, once we return from CO trip. If there is enough interest I'd like to offer a KIT options to release next spring, but at this time it's all in testing.

What do you guys think so far?

Pic from Central ADV Rider Rally 2013. Attendees got a chance to check it out and it went over very well.

I've got more pics from our test ride I need to process and post..... more to come as we finish up all the little details.

cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:41 PM   #2
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,236
nice!

I'd run this future project with this bike too - 500X!
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=787
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:49 AM   #3
TimCC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
I really like what you've done with the strom. Thanks for bringing it to the rally. It was nice to throw a leg over it. Do you have plans for radiator protection?
TimCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:07 AM   #4
mdfehrmann
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Dl650

This is an amazing build and I think I can say that having had a chance to ride it on some trails a few weeks back. It really has turned the DL into an off road capable machine. An interested DL650 owner stopped over while I was there so I grabbed this shot for comparison.

Matthew

2006 KTM 950 ADV S - 2004 Sherco 2.9
http://www.mdfeditions.com/
http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/
mdfehrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:25 AM   #5
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,640
Awesome. This is what the Wee-Strom should have been from the start.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:26 AM   #6
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
nice!

I'd run this future project with this bike too - 500X!
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=787
That's the great thing about most of these Street/style Dual Sport bikes. Most of the components are very similar in size and location. I plan to test the Strom a bit longer and if it works out and I can sell some kits. I have been and will keep looking at other bikes. I can make triple clamps to fit other bikes with only a few changes to the CAD drawing.

I've already got a few NX700 riders requesting upgrade kits too. Not sure I've seen a 500x yet at our local dealer. Are those in the states?

What ever bike I take on I would need a local bike owner willing to work it out with as I can't afford to buy several newish bikes right now.

That 500x does look like an awesome build.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:30 AM   #7
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCC View Post
I really like what you've done with the strom. Thanks for bringing it to the rally. It was nice to throw a leg over it. Do you have plans for radiator protection?
Thanks Tim,

Yes, a radiator guard is planned to be produced in the future to help roost protection, but there will be much less of that now as this bike is ready to do it's own roosting.

There are several small details I'm working out to finish is off before CO, but this bike has already been crash tested and no damage happened b/c of the engine gaurds installed. I think it would have been a huge damage bill is the stock fairing would have still been installed.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:28 PM   #8
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,236
those 500Xs are just showing up at dealers.
http://powersports.honda.com/2013/cb500x.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer View Post
That's the great thing about most of these Street/style Dual Sport bikes. Most of the components are very similar in size and location. I plan to test the Strom a bit longer and if it works out and I can sell some kits. I have been and will keep looking at other bikes. I can make triple clamps to fit other bikes with only a few changes to the CAD drawing.

I've already got a few NX700 riders requesting upgrade kits too. Not sure I've seen a 500x yet at our local dealer. Are those in the states?

What ever bike I take on I would need a local bike owner willing to work it out with as I can't afford to buy several newish bikes right now.

That 500x does look like an awesome build.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:14 PM   #9
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

Any HP specs given on this 500X yet?

I hope to be able to get the V-strom on the Dyno so we can get some graphs in the next month or so.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:31 AM   #10
mdfehrmann
Gnarly Adventurer

High Flying V-Strom

Too Cool

Old 08-23-2013, 10:24 AM   #11
desmo916sp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Triple Clamp INFO ??

OK, i know it says custom Triple clamp ...? SO, what size are the forks ..? and how many mm of offset do they have ..? PLEASE say 50mm forks and 30mm offset .. if so .. I AM IN..
desmo916sp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #12
mdfehrmann
Gnarly Adventurer

More fun in the woods!

Old 08-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #13
jgas
Stoogely Adventurerer

Oddometer: 843
Is this the 650, or the 950? Will your kit fit either bike? I think you have crreated the almost perfect adventure bike. You've done what I've been thinking about for years. Please hurry with a kit price, what's involved, etc. I have a set of DRZ 400 forks, and a set of 99 YZ USD forks. Do you know if I could save myself some bucks by using either of those with your kit? I also have the front wheels from both bikes. What shock mods have you done? I have several rear shocks as well.

Fantastic pics and concept. Details!
-DRZ 400, GasGas 275, Klein, zero cc.
jgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:27 PM   #14
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

More info coming soon. Working on a REAL skidplate/ centrerstand kit this weekend.

This is a 650 shown, but I think that all the parts will work on a 1000 also. Need a 1000 to try it out.

NEW custom rear shock is part of the kit with 3 build options depending on price.

These are the DR400 forks but I could make them fit the 50mm WPs also.

This build has many options and I am working through them as fast as I can. Trust. We leave in about 7 days for a 4,000 mile ride.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #15
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer View Post
Hi V-strom riders.

I'm newish to this bike, but not to Adventure riding. I've always thought the V-strom platform could be a great bike to offer a nice DS Bike with a few mods. This last winter a local rider/ bike owner and I put some thought into it and decided to give it a go.

Seeing as how there is such a limited amount of 650cc DS bike built to handle luggage and offer easy servicing and long life.
That bike is nuts!

It won't just handle luggage. It'll handle a passenger comfortably too.

Why can't the big-name mfrs' development pros figure out that an adv bike should probably be kept dirt-capable at well under 500lb curb? That it should have adjustable long-travel suspension and be able to take knobby tires? That it should be able to haul a passenger as more than just an afterthought?

Why can WE all figure this out, but the big names can't?

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote