Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
1Gopokes1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
trading my 01 1150GS for DL1000 ?????

I have an 01 BMW 1150 GS I am thinking of selling and getting a DL 1000

The BMW just seems a little heavy, underpowered and dated?

I was thinking I could get a DL 1000 and a TW 200 for running errands!!

What are the issues with DL 1000s??
1Gopokes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #2
kpmsprtd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
We're hoping they get the issues sorted with the 2014 DL1000 coming soon...
kpmsprtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:58 PM   #3
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,316
If you have a reliable GS, keep it.
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #4
jrod
squidless

Oddometer: 173
1150 to DL1000

After loving my 2004 1150GS along with the 1150 Rockster, it was time for a change. My wife and I love the DL1000 for our 2up adventures. Great on the road and gravel, fun on the cow trails. It is still a big heavy bike, but is as capable as the BMW. We slowly go further and further off the beaten path when we are together, and when alone it gets pushed even more.

It does sit a little lower, but with a decent plate, it keeps going.

I have the 2012, the ECU recall has been completed and like the BMW, suspension is not grand out the door. Now, it is no BMW, big Tenere or KTM and your friends will constantly remind you of this

I wouldn't trade mine.
jrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,313
to the OP...

you been drinkin', man?
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #6
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,655
I've met them... GS pilots who disguised themselves, turned off their cellphone, sneaked into a moto shop and bought Weestroms or V-stroms, sneaked back out again.
they don't tell their friends, but they told me -

its a bit like the Apple disease.... People have iphones and osx devices... they know the drill: if you have an issue, its YOUR issue, it ain't Apple's issue. Their devices are perfect.

By all means OP, stay tuned for the '14 V-strom. it won't be long. maybe you'll find something to love with it.
and yes, you'll be able to get that TW tractor to scoot on also
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #7
Superstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Why not a Tenere?
Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:32 AM   #8
BikeMan
smoke, drink, screw, ride

Oddometer: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Gopokes1 View Post
What are the issues with DL 1000s??
none really. it did take me a while to get used to the DL1's long legs, especially the 6th. gear OverDrive.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:29 AM   #9
JohninVT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
Unlike the GS, most issues with a Strom can be fixed for a hundred bucks. Don't like the stock windshield? Get a Madstad bracket. It runs lean? Have it flashed with a Yosh box. Swap the oem pads for HH and itll stop better. Geared too high? Go to a 16/43 sprocket set. About the only thing that's costs more is clutch chudder(which my 2012 doesn't have)and even that is only $200.

I've had to adjust my chain twice in 8,000 miles. Other than oil changes....no maintenance has been required.
JohninVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:52 AM   #10
NONAME13
NONAME13

Oddometer: 219
Trader

A GS is a nice bike but reliability and some dealerships put me off them and onto happy Vstrom ownership . I love my DL 1000 and I do like boxers however without my old 95 R1100 low milage bike breaking down leaving me stranded all the time I my have never bought the Suzuki. The previous HP2 I had was fun but not for two and the build quality wasn't up to standards wicked motor though and it too ate money big time. You can't go to wrong with the big Vee there cheap to buy and require very little maintenance fun as heck real headlight good for two. I still feel the GS is better offroad when fingers are crossed and your not praying that you make it home without a breakdown of some sort.
NONAME13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:13 PM   #11
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,596
Really? Are the old GS's really that bad?

I think they're cool looking and seems like having one would be fun although I have never ridden one. Supposedly the newer 1200 was greatly improved, now the LC even more. But still, the old steel-tankers are just so cool.

Not the same fondness for the 'strom, had one of those back when they first came out.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:20 AM   #12
Rethy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
DL1000 or GS

I can add my 2 cents since I have owned both. Had a couple GSs with the latest a 04 1150GSA, great bike BTW. And an 07 DL1000. I have never been left stranded by any of my bikes but the Boxers were more fun to ride. I usually have at minimum 3 bikes in the garage. I usually picked the GS when I was solo riding. The DL1000 rarely got ridden which is why I sold it. For me it just was not fun to ride. Was easier to ride off road being lower and narrower. The 07 seat is the worst I have ever experienced. But if cost of ownership is your main concern the DL is a good choice. Motors run forever, they are geared tall from factory and windshield needs addressed. Used market they can be had for a song. The new 14 model looks like they addressed the antiquated brakes and suspension. If thinking new I would compare the Super Tenere to the new DL before spending the $. Reliability will likely not be a concern with the DL.
Rethy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:53 AM   #13
robert110411
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
since the first post is over a month old?

Did you buy anything yet?

I can't offer much in the way of comparison as I've not owned a GS. I do own a 2012 DL 1000.

The Vee is not a perfect bike but I love mine any way.

If you buy one, immediately after parking it in the garage for the first time, go inside and order a Madstad bracket (hopefully the '14 fixes this) and some Aprillia Touno mirrors. 80 percent of your buffeting problem is now solved.

If the brakes aren't strong enough, mine have been just fine and I weigh 220 pounds and have ridden 2 up, order some EBC pads.

An ECU reflash will fix fueling problems but mine hasn't needed it and it runs just fine.

The suspension is pretty basic......but it's been my experience that probably 65 percent of riders turn knobs and dials, not because they can tell the difference, but because someone else said they needed to and they don't want to feel stupid.

The Vee is tall and carries 6 gallons of gas up high. 1st gear is a little tall and 6th is huge. I can cruise at 80 MPH all day long and it feels like it's running just above idle.

I can run down the highway all day long, it will cut through twisty back roads at a pretty surprising pace and with confidence even on the stock rubber. I can explore gravel and dirt roads and fire trails pretty easily. Anything more off road oriented and you need to make a few purposeful modifications. Just don't lose sight of the fact that it's a 530 pound motorcycle.....not a WR250.

If you're honest and accept that it's a great road, dirt road, gravel road, fire road bike that can endure occasional trips into single track or real off road IF you are willing to make some mods? You won't be unhappy.

My Vee is far less exhausting to ride than my Electra-Glide/

Look around and you'll find a new 2012 DL 1000 for under $9K.

FWIW, I looked at the Yamaha S10..................but dealers around me are full of leftovers. That bothered me considering all the excitement building up to it.
robert110411 is offline   Reply With Quote