ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 09:05 AM   #24931
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Yea, one piece at a time. Maybe I'll luck out and get my hand guards before I we leave.
I see your dilemma, and trust me no one understands "financially constrained" better than me right now..

Let's think this through... So you need to pick between barkbusters vs skid plate. As a temporary measure until you get both - you need to carry either spare levers or jbweld to fix a hole in your motor case...

I know how I'm leanin'
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #24932
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
I see your dilemma, and trust me no one understands "financially constrained" better than me right now..

Let's think this through... So you need to pick between barkbusters vs skid plate. As a temporary measure until you get both - you need to carry either spare levers or jbweld to fix a hole in your motor case...

I know how I'm leanin'
Fortunately you can get Acerbis knock offs for $30.

Unfortunately a skid plate is about $95. Not outrageous, but I just need to give it a little time. By the time the S500 is here I should have a skid plate, some rok straps, and hand guards on. If I can really luck out maybe I will have some boots to go along with my Klim pants that I have been loving.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:10 AM   #24933
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 785
Just a suggestion here. Many yrs ago, my riding buddy attached a street sign (trimmed to fit his frame of course) on a KTM he was riding as a temporary skid plate. A few yrs later when he sold the bike, that sign skid plate was still there.
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:20 AM   #24934
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by dljocky View Post
Just a suggestion here. Many yrs ago, my riding buddy attached a street sign (trimmed to fit his frame of course) on a KTM he was riding as a temporary skid plate. A few yrs later when he sold the bike, that sign skid plate was still there.
I fabricated a skid plate for Pete's old XT600, from old signage. It did quite well and was fairly easy to do. I still have enough sign material to make another one, if you want it. Easy to cut with a metal band saw, bendable too with a hammer and a vise.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:30 AM   #24935
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
I fabricated a skid plate for Pete's old XT600, from old signage. It did quite well and was fairly easy to do. I still have enough sign material to make another one, if you want it. Easy to cut with a metal band saw, bendable too with a hammer and a vise.

jeff
That sounds cool, but I have no saws or vises. Only the hammer so I'm kind of out of luck. I wouldn't be able to get it done before this Saturday ride. Hopefully I won't have too many more rides out before I get one on. The guy that sold me the hand guards on Ebay won't call me back or return my emails so as of now I can't pay him. Not a happy camper. Guess I won't have those before the weekend. On a plus side I did pick up my levers, so hopefully I can figure out how to put them on tonight or tomorrow. Shouldn't be hard.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
Old 08-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #24936
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 419
Quote:
That sounds cool, but I have no saws or vises. Only the hammer so I'm kind of out of luck. I wouldn't be able to get it done before this Saturday ride. Hopefully I won't have too many more rides out before I get one on. The guy that sold me the hand guards on Ebay won't call me back or return my emails so as of now I can't pay him. Not a happy camper. Guess I won't have those before the weekend. On a plus side I did pick up my levers, so hopefully I can figure out how to put them on tonight or tomorrow. Shouldn't be hard.

Tools exist on the forum....

I have all of the above and more and a lift.

Pick up the sign material and drag that POS over here and lets make a guard for it.....
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #24937
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,766
Jeff, Burton, I'll try and get width and spacing measurements for the holes on my bike this evening. From there it is easy to just bolt the rear two hole up and hammer the sign up around the front frame and drill the two front screws. It doesn't matter if the sign overhands the frame up at the front too much. I don't have anything other than a hacksaw to cut with myself but I'm not adverse to bending things.

The other thing I've seen used as skid plates are plastic cutting boards. This one actually looks pretty cool. http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t9...ate-recipe-499

The bid advantage the commercial skid plates have is a bit of a wing on the right side to help protect the water pump. The hand guards you have to buy. Also make sure you buy ones with clamps for the correct bar diameter. I think the WR comes stock with a 7/8 bar versus the aftermarket 1 1/8th fat bars most people install. If Ebay doesn't work out, look on Amazon. Amazon actually holds their sellers feet to the fire a little bit on selling versus some random dude who opened an Ebay account and doesn't care about his feedback.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:08 PM   #24938
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,377
wow, that is pretty dang cool!

BurtonRdr, there you go - 5 bucks!

ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:08 PM   #24939
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic Semper Tyrannis View Post
Tools exist on the forum....

I have all of the above and more and a lift.

Pick up the sign material and drag that POS over here and lets make a guard for it.....
I can do that. Apparently I need to make a Richmond circle run from Eddy's to Jeff's to your place. I appreciate all the help as always from the members here. I can't say I've ever been a part of such a nice forum (and I'm a part of a LOT of them). I wish I could return the favor to some of the inmates. Anyone is always welcome at my place for beer or anything else. At the least maybe I could cook out for you guys one day.

I fear I'm only good for people if they need help marketing their business. In that sense I can help greatly if anyone ever needs me to help them get the word out, as well as being able to help out with anyones real estate needs soon enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Jeff, Burton, I'll try and get width and spacing measurements for the holes on my bike this evening. From there it is easy to just bolt the rear two hole up and hammer the sign up around the front frame and drill the two front screws. It doesn't matter if the sign overhands the frame up at the front too much. I don't have anything other than a hacksaw to cut with myself but I'm not adverse to bending things.

The other thing I've seen used as skid plates are plastic cutting boards. This one actually looks pretty cool. http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t9...ate-recipe-499

The bid advantage the commercial skid plates have is a bit of a wing on the right side to help protect the water pump. The hand guards you have to buy. Also make sure you buy ones with clamps for the correct bar diameter. I think the WR comes stock with a 7/8 bar versus the aftermarket 1 1/8th fat bars most people install. If Ebay doesn't work out, look on Amazon. Amazon actually holds their sellers feet to the fire a little bit on selling versus some random dude who opened an Ebay account and doesn't care about his feedback.
Thanks Jeremy. That cutting board plate is pretty cool. The member I ran into up near panther falls had one made out of a license plate on his WR.

And the guards I got should be for 7/8's. That what it said. Just talked to the guy on the phone. Was a difficult experience, but hopefully he'll send me an invoice in a second and ship these out in a timely manner.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
Old 08-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #24940
jmdavis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
The Cutting board idea is amazing (and cheap). There are some really smart and creative people out there.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #24941
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdavis View Post
The Cutting board idea is amazing (and cheap). There are some really smart and creative people out there.
Yea I may be making a trip to wally world tomorrow.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
Old 08-21-2013, 12:43 PM   #24942
DaddyGreenGenes
Delicious

Oddometer: 21
Refrain from buying the acerbis knock-off handguards. I had a set of those before, and every time you drop the bike the aluminum shank in the handguard would push in and obstruct the levers. I can get you a discount on the acerbis ones if you want some. The shank in the acerbis guards is WAAAAY stronger.
'12 Suzuki DRZ 400SSM
'12 Christini 300 AWD
DaddyGreenGenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:30 PM   #24943
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 652
Burton, a pair of MX boots is very, very important. I bought new $80 el cheapo MSR boots and they have paid for themselves ten fold in 5 years. Not even comfy to stand in but don't bother me at all in the bike. Walking in them is brutal but I can manage. I have had my feet cleaned off the pegs numerous times by unseen stumps or limbs that popped up and jousted my shin with great force. I have dropped the bike on myself with the exhaust on the boot and in and on. I never got more than a slight bruise. Had I kept going in hiking boots I may have been stranded with a fracture and no cell service. I have done a lot alone and been lucky. Do not seek shoe creek or big levels. alone until you are fully equipped and even with a buddy ill-equipped you could cause a dramatic day. It dies take a lot of time and money to gear up with protection, but it could cost you a lot more being adventurous and unprepared. My boots fit a 9.5 - maybe a 10.5. You can use the funky ever ripening pair on the S500 if you want. I am in Nags Head now or else I would offer them up for this weekend. You can't hurt em'.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #24944
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
Burton, a pair of MX boots is very, very important. I bought new $80 el cheapo MSR boots and they have paid for themselves ten fold in 5 years. Not even comfy to stand in but don't bother me at all in the bike. Walking in them is brutal but I can manage. I have had my feet cleaned off the pegs numerous times by unseen stumps or limbs that popped up and jousted my shin with great force. I have dropped the bike on myself with the exhaust on the boot and in and on. I never got more than a slight bruise. Had I kept going in hiking boots I may have been stranded with a fracture and no cell service. I have done a lot alone and been lucky. Do not seek shoe creek or big levels. alone until you are fully equipped and even with a buddy ill-equipped you could cause a dramatic day. It dies take a lot of time and money to gear up with protection, but it could cost you a lot more being adventurous and unprepared. My boots fit a 9.5 - maybe a 10.5. You can use the funky ever ripening pair on the S500 if you want. I am in Nags Head now or else I would offer them up for this weekend. You can't hurt em'.
Thanks Dirtmonkey. I will be buying boots ASAP. It's the most important thing on my gear list now that I have pants. I already have an MX chest protector or a motorcycle jacket I can wear for my upper body.

After the insight on the Ebay hand guards I may cancel my order. The guy still hasn't sent me an invoice so I will probably make a claim to cancel the transaction and leave him neutral feedback. You would think 2 emails and a call to give someone your money, and they would send you an invoice.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
Old 08-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #24945
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Thanks Dirtmonkey. I will be buying boots ASAP. It's the most important thing on my gear list now that I have pants. I already have an MX chest protector or a motorcycle jacket I can wear for my upper body.

After the insight on the Ebay hand guards I may cancel my order. The guy still hasn't sent me an invoice so I will probably make a claim to cancel the transaction and leave him neutral feedback. You would think 2 emails and a call to give someone your money, and they would send you an invoice.
I ALWAYS check Amazon before any purchase. I got a $185 front rim for the YZ for $108, A $189 chain for my 800GS for $116, a $200 bluetooth thingy for the helmet for $48, a $120 laptop battery for $28. I could go on and on but you get the idea. It is difficult to prioritize, but I definitely agree with Dirtmonky; boots are of vital importance. But I remember you may have learned that during the Briar trail ride?