Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2013, 04:43 PM   #4156
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,053
Wow, I've seen bikes hauled creatively before...but in a semi cab!? Must take some serious muscle to get it up there in the first place, let alone in.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:30 PM   #4157
uska
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
We just rolled it in out of the pick up trucks bed. The seller was pretty surprised it fit

The bike sometimes dies when you instantly whip the throttle. I love my bikes loud but intake noise is too obnoxious
uska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:45 PM   #4158
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,311
I'm pretty sure the fuel pump on my 11 390 finally crapped out after 56 hours.

Bikes been stalling out pretty much on every hot ride. especially in the slow tight stuff. It usually starts up again when it cools down but yesterday It left me stranded. I Noticed boiling gas, I do have a fan installed.

I've been reading most everything I can about the dodgy fuel pumps and I just want to verify all the parts I will need (or should need) for the swap out.

I ordered the ca-cycleworks aftermarket pump with the barbed end and I will get some heat tape for the underside tank. Also was going to put on the Proline(?) filter. Probably clean and inspect the injector/tank/ and connections.

I was wondering if I need any upgraded fuel hose?
Does the piece of hose that comes with the new ca pump adequate?
Do I even need to mess with the OEM tank hose?

Read a bunch, could not get a definitive answer. maybe I missed something.

I'd like to solve this issue as it's the only thing wrong with the bike other than my lack of ability to stay on it while intensely grinning.

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:57 AM   #4159
GezwindeSpoed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Wheel spacers Haan with cush hub

Can somebody please measure the length of the spacers for a rear wheel with Haan cush hub. When inserting the original spacers it becomes to broad to fit. The distance sprocket to disk is the same.

GezwindeSpoed screwed with this post 08-19-2013 at 06:58 AM
GezwindeSpoed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:27 AM   #4160
Humanbeingexpert
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Does your bike have a punch mark on the handlebar clamps?
Humanbeingexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #4161
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion View Post
I'm pretty sure the fuel pump on my 11 390 finally crapped out after 56 hours.

Bikes been stalling out pretty much on every hot ride. especially in the slow tight stuff. It usually starts up again when it cools down but yesterday It left me stranded. I Noticed boiling gas, I do have a fan installed.

I've been reading most everything I can about the dodgy fuel pumps and I just want to verify all the parts I will need (or should need) for the swap out.

I ordered the ca-cycleworks aftermarket pump with the barbed end and I will get some heat tape for the underside tank. Also was going to put on the Proline(?) filter. Probably clean and inspect the injector/tank/ and connections.

I was wondering if I need any upgraded fuel hose?
Does the piece of hose that comes with the new ca pump adequate?
Do I even need to mess with the OEM tank hose?

Read a bunch, could not get a definitive answer. maybe I missed something.

I'd like to solve this issue as it's the only thing wrong with the bike other than my lack of ability to stay on it while intensely grinning.

I have a CA works pump, didn't need to replace mine since it turned out to be the newer version, but I did anyways and now have a working spare... Here's my take on things since there so much various info to be found after going through the same scouring of the web trying to find what I need.

Make sure the area on your motor is clean where the fuel quick disconnects are and/or use the KTM "wash caps" when you disconnect them. I found out the hard way after causing a clogged injector after introducing dirt into the system when taking the tank on and off with it dusty around there, stupid A.D.D. me. Also before I had the correct OEM fuel filter in the hose before the injector...

Use the OEM fuel hose, it works. The one that comes with the CA pump is a standard hose can kink when you put the whole assembly back in the tank, there's a lot of hose in there going between the pump and filter and regulator and with the shape of the tank it can get kinked up easily when jamming it all back in. The OEM hose is a hard plastic accordion type one that can't kink.
You'll need to get these hose clamps since the ones used on the OEM hose are of an odd size and not easily found at a auto parts store.
http://www.mscdirect.com/product/48548846

The OEM hose is very tight on the OEM pump, even after taking the clamp off, I needed to heat it up to get it off.

Some folks used bailing or safety wire to add strength holding the fuel pump assembly together, I drilled a very small hole where the two plastic bits overlapped and put a couple of small and short wood type screws to hold it together. Sorry couldn't find and photos of what I did, you'll see when you get it apart.

You *could* replace the OEM inline filter with a new one while you're in there, pretty low hours on your bike so that's up to you.

These are all the photos I could find, hope this helps, good luck!

CA pump kit.

OEM pump

Filter

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 08-19-2013 at 09:03 AM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:27 PM   #4162
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Thanks LR

Didn't realize there was so many parts in that tank.
I've seen a pre-filter bag on the end of the pump, you think I need one of those?

Old 08-19-2013, 10:52 PM   #4163
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by uska View Post

Getting it home in style. In my semis cab.
Pete?
tahoeacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:26 AM   #4164
TexScrotumRidesAgain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
12t sprocket

G'day, just finished reading this whole thread, took a few days but it was like reading a good book that you can't put down!

Anyway I currently run 13/52 gearing on my 450 and was considering going 12/52, I know a few of you guys(HIGH FIVE) run a 12t and was just wondering if there are any issues regarding increased chain guide wear?

I did read somewhere in there(early on)that some guys had a concern that you would get increased chain guide wear running 12t front sprocket.

I do a fair bit of tight single trail and would like to use 2nd & 3rd more instead of 1st & 2nd(there seems to be a fair gap between 1st-2nd)

I know I could ride faster but a HUUUUGGGEEE lack of talent prevents me from doing so!
TexScrotumRidesAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:27 AM   #4165
uska
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoeacr View Post
Pete?
Sorry, what?

If your asking aboute make, no, its a 99' volvo 610.
uska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:25 AM   #4166
FamilyRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Thanks LR

Didn't realize there was so many parts in that tank.
I've seen a pre-filter bag on the end of the pump, you think I need one of those?
Yes - you need the filter on the intake to the pump. This is a coarse filter to protect the pump. After the pump there is a fine grain filter to protect the injector. The fine grain filter has to be after the pump because it takes high pressure to force the fuel through the filter.

If you have questionable sources of gasoline, you might also consider a filter sock on your tank intake. That keeps the really big stuff from even getting near the pump.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:27 AM   #4167
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyRider View Post
Yes - you need the filter on the intake to the pump. This is a coarse filter to protect the pump. After the pump there is a fine grain filter to protect the injector. The fine grain filter has to be after the pump because it takes high pressure to force the fuel through the filter.

If you have questionable sources of gasoline, you might also consider a filter sock on your tank intake. That keeps the really big stuff from even getting near the pump.
This one? Where can I get one?

Old 08-20-2013, 01:15 PM   #4168
FamilyRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
This one? Where can I get one?
Here is where I got mine.
http://www.profill-australia.com/e-store/STORE.html
Old 08-21-2013, 03:02 PM   #4169
galbo950
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 530
Safari Tank fitment

Just fitted the front safari tank and to be honest it was straight forward with no issues, must be the joys to fitting it to an older bike. I ave one question though, has anyone left the cone spacers out or machined them down thinner so as that the rear of the tank sits closer to the seat? Also what radiator guards fit with the safari tank? I know somewhere in this thread it was mentioned but I can't seem to find it.
galbo950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #4170
garet55947
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Looking at an 06 FE 650 with 2700 miles. Is this bike known for a lot of engine noise, like moving parts inside thin wall engine cases? Any worries if maint has been kept up to date? Cam chain replaced, valves adjusted and ol changed every three tanks of gas. Oh yeah, $4600 with lots of mods. Advice please, this is an offbeat ride. Thanks.
'02 DR650
'75 R90S DO
garet55947 is offline   Reply With Quote