User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2013, 04:49 PM   #1
Smokin Sam OP
Old Guys Rule

Oddometer: 38
Help! DL1000 V-Strom shudders

Smokin Sam is trying to get someone down the road again. I could use a hand from someone that knows more than I do about hi mile DL1000 Vstroms.

Here is the problem;
In any gear at lower rpm's when you first give it gas it kinda gives a little shudder and makes a little noise. It only lasts about 200 rpm and goes away but it is there every time you gas it. Everything else works perfectly. Clutch is in good shape and the drive line is recent and decent.

Ugh.... out put bearing? Suggestions please......
Smokin Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
Moto-Kafe
Gnarly Entre-manure

Oddometer: 473
Sounds like clutch-chudder (chutter??).......common problem with the DL1000. Terry ("Real Shelby"), on Stromtrooper forum, can repair that......look under Vendors or Supporters over there. Even tho you may have new disc's and plates installed, it can still occur. I believe it's about a $200 fix. Fingers crossed they fixed this common problem on the new 2014 Vee.......??????
Moto-Kafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #3
Smokin Sam OP
Old Guys Rule

Oddometer: 38
Thanks! I'll check it out.
Smokin Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:25 AM   #4
realshelby
FLAKE

Oddometer: 82
Smokin Sam, you can test for clutch chudder. When riding thru the rpm range where you are feeling the vibrations ( typically worse in the 2500-4000 rpm range ) lightly feather the clutch lever. Just enough to load the pressure plate, but not enough that it slips or you hear the rpms flare up. If that shows a significant improvement, you can be sure you need a new or modified clutch basket. Has nothing to do with worn clutch plates or discs, I have yet to see a set of those worn out in a Vee. Once you establish that there is a problem....there is now a permanent fix. Most owners are very surprised to see how much vibration even in the mid and upper rpms the worn clutch baskets cause once they fix them.

WERKS modified clutch baskets for V Strom. Eliminate Chudder for good.
WERKS Final Drive Minders for Beemers available HERE
realshelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:44 AM   #5
wos
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,607
Mine started doing that this spring. Put in new cush dampers in the rear end and it is all better now. Plan on doing the spacer mod this winter as well as changing the bearings in the drive hub.
I could grab the rear sprocket (isntalled) and move it almost 1/2 inch total movement. Still has a bit of play even with new rubbers but it is less than a 1/16".
I paid about $90 Canadian for the hubs. seen them on onieda suzuki (US) for 1/2 that. The zuk dealer in edmonton, alberta had them in stock so they must be shared with different bikes.
wos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,397
Possibly two problems, maybe even at the same time.

1) Rear sprocket carrier bearing's center line is offset from the sprocket's center line which leads to premature bearing failure. Some folks buy a set of massaged spacers that scrunch the carrier harder against the cush rubbers to reduce the way that the sprocket cocks under load. If that's your problem you'll see evidence of the inside of the chain plates nicking the rear sprocket teeth.

Either buy the spacers or put a second bearing into the carrier - like this:

2) Clutch "chudder" which is caused by a clutch that's designed to wear oddly and go out of balance just by driving around the block twice. There are two guys that have a fix that they perform - one's in England and the other is in Houston. Or you can tear it all apart and fix it yourself if you know your way around a machine shop (and have no life, no friends and nothing better to do with your time). Sort of like this -

It's all part of the romance and mystique of owning one of these things. Welcome to the asylum.

LexLeroy screwed with this post 08-22-2013 at 05:39 PM
LexLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote